• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Had a huge beard, like months of growth. It was pissing me off last night and I shaved it off.

I always regret that. Why do I do that. I look like a baby faced idiot now

Don't worry. In a couple of days you're gonna have a glorious stubble beard. And all the ladies will be impressed by your dedication to groom and take care of such a beard. Then a week later you get to look like a hobo. Which will attract another set of ladies. Just make sure to pack some Jimmy hats. Safe travels, friend.

I wouldn’t rely on 4chan rumors as anything but a jumpstart for an interesting thought.

It doesn’t seem out of the question, compared to what just happened. They’re smaller, and have a treasure trove of IP and brand names. The only reason we might think it’s out there, is because they were a console manufacturer, and it seems kind of megaton level. It really wouldn’t be that strange, though, and makes a lot of sense.
20 pages for a rumor from a guy on 4chan who thinks Asobo is a Japanese developer when they are in fact French. But that isn't the only reason to not take said rumor seriously. It simply doesn't make sense for SEGA Sammy to become part of an American company whose console brand is selling very poorly in Japan.

And I know this isn't the first time someone brought up the idea of Microsoft acquiring SEGA. It's just wishful thinking, as it usually is. It also bugs me that someone in that thread has to ask if SEGA still develop their own games. Of course they do. Who do you think develops Sonic, Sakura Wars, Yakuza, Phantasy Star Online 2 etc? Compare these games to what Microsoft acquired from ZeniMax, games like Doom, The Elder Scrolls, and Wolfenstein. Suddenly it doesn't seem all that surprising that Xbox would become home to even more western-focused games (this includes The Evil Within).

Btw, it’s interesting to see these being so widely celebrated. I remember when Microsoft throwing it’s weight around like this by buying up everything in sight used to be a concern, for the public, and one of the biggest antitrust cases in recent history.

I’m actually happy to see Beth with MS, and that they actually have really cool first party studios again, but I just wonder where we draw the line on this.
Studio acquisitions are interesting. Always the potential to see better games, and better than PlayStation or Epic Games just making timed exclusive deals.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
maybe thora prefers clean shaven

Thora_Birch.jpg

Thora?

Tesseract

Banned
I will always say you either go where the games are or admit you're a shill for some company that doesn't care about you. I try and make it a point in life to not miss any game that's considered good unless it's in a genre I can't stand. I haven't 100% lived up to it but I've mostly lived up to the idea of making sure I have access to them at least. But to me this stuff is only upsetting if you don't really care about games because if you really care about games you can put the money aside for them.

Tesseract

Banned
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
With inflation something like Killer Instinct would cost 150 dollars today.
Nintendo was actually losing money making those cartridges even while they sold em at that price. Sony owns BD, on top of that their digital distribution costs less than nothing to distrubute. Physical copies cost them a buck at most. You got people that aren't actually wasteful making great games under 1 mil and then you have turds at Eidos making Superhero shit that cost them a leg so I laugh at inflation. It is fine if a faceless corporation wants to charge people more for their games, people just have to actually buy into it though. Look at the Switch ports and how people called out Nintendo on their "Switch tax", yet this is totally fine because hey, inflation. RIP Europe lol.

Nintendo was actually losing money making those cartridges even while they sold em at that price. Sony owns BD, on top of that their digital distribution costs less than nothing to distrubute. Physical copies cost them a buck at most. You got people that aren't actually wasteful making great games under 1 mil and then you have turds at Eidos making Superhero shit that cost them a leg so I laugh at inflation. It is fine if a faceless corporation wants to charge people more for their games, people just have to actually buy into it though. Look at the Switch ports and how people called out Nintendo on their "Switch tax", yet this is totally fine because hey, inflation. RIP Europe lol.

People called them out... and then made it the third highest debut of the year. I would like to see sources on how expensive the cartridges were to make, though, I read someone saying if they're made in large enough bulk the cost drops to 1 dollar per cartridge but I don't see much official.

O-N-E

royalties waived on first $1 million (gross revenue) w / unreal engine license terms is awesome

valve needs to step up, get the complete source 2 sdk out there before the end of 2020

That's pretty good. Unity has no royalty fees. If you make more than 100K, you have to subscribe to their Pro version ($1800 yearly for individual, $4000 per 20 people)

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The other thing about older games was that they didn't have/need

Day one dlc/season pass/disk locked content
An expensive SSD to play your games
Day one 15 gig patches to fix a game that took 5 years to make

That's true but they also had way less quality control, especially in the NES days. Some games might as well have launched broken, they certainly weren't possible to complete. I'd also argue the reason they do so much DLC/season pass/etc is because they haven't raised prices despite inflation, we can talk how much a cartridge vs disc costs to manufacture but the actual budgets for making the games are way higher now.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
That's true but they also had way less quality control, especially in the NES days. Some games might as well have launched broken, they certainly weren't possible to complete. I'd also argue the reason they do so much DLC/season pass/etc is because they haven't raised prices despite inflation, we can talk how much a cartridge vs disc costs to manufacture but the actual budgets for making the games are way higher now.
NES days? Sure, but even in the Ps2 days we didn't have these issues. I'd argue that quality control is still an issue to this day. Also back then gaming wasn't more lucrative than every type of media on the planet. They do locked DLC because they are scummy, look at shooters or fighters. Even shit like Namco that re-uses assets from 2 generations ago charge you for dlc ffs.

Tesseract

Banned
you think so?

i recall few and far broken games outta the 8 to 32 era, devs had one rom to get everything right

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin

NES days? Sure, but even in the Ps2 days we didn't have these issues. I'd argue that quality control is still an issue to this day. Also back then gaming wasn't more lucrative than every type of media on the planet. They do locked DLC because they are scummy, look at shooters or fighters. Even shit like Namco that re-uses assets from 2 generations ago charge you for dlc ffs.
Some of that stuff has to do with the evolution of technology, and it has it's pro's and con's

Games have had expansions and patches for a long while (Arcade cabs come to mind)
Maybe not an expensive SSD, but you needed an expensive piece of equipment called an HDD or some other storage medium (The days of having 4 memory cards...)
Day one patches are a mixed beast; sometimes to lock content from us nefarious pirates, but from what I understand it's a way to slip by having to reupload a full QC build. Easier to roll back a patch than it is to have completely reinstall the known good part of the install

you think so?

i recall few and far broken games outta the 8 to 32 era, devs had one rom to get everything right
A lot of them were hidden in goofy ways to pass the QC check and get out to market
One of the Sonic games the dev had a specific crash take you to a stage select screen and it passed

I can't remember what series of fighting game cabs it was but I could swear there was one when it got too hot would throw up a weird demo mode

Top Bottom