• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Gold Member
PleaseDontBanMe wasn't just a clever name.
Spock Encerio GIF

PhoenixTank

Honestly, I’ve had like one, maybe two, dreams about an old Nintendo forum I used to post on. I’d been there several years, moderated for two of them, then left after it started dying. I had a dream that all the staff met and sat an N-shaped table to discuss our ‘plans’ for the forum, culminating in the admin pressing a big red button and killing all the members. Fun times.
Y'know I think I've been on that forum. Or is that just every Nintendo forum?
Gaf excluded of course

Star-Lord

Fuck me Atlanta is too goddam crowded it takes 87 fucking hours to drive half a mile
LA is worse, it takes 87 days to drive a mile on the 405.
At least you don’t have to pay to drive through the bloody place. Congestion charges in London are a rip off.

Y'know I think I've been on that forum. Or is that just every Nintendo forum?
Gaf excluded of course
The forum was N-Philes. Long dead, I think. But I think every forum is included.

GAF is definitely included…

Star-Lord

i didn't even know there was a comic version
Neither did I until the film came out. The comic is supposedly different to the film, as is the case with most comic-to-film adaptations, but I’ll still enjoy it. I also picked up Spider-Man: Life Stories and Super Mario Adventures, because why the fuck not?

Toons

Neither did I until the film came out. The comic is supposedly different to the film, as is the case with most comic-to-film adaptations, but I’ll still enjoy it. I also picked up Spider-Man: Life Stories and Super Mario Adventures, because why the fuck not?

I got a new graphic novel today, the 4th book for Blacksad, trying to get them all before the next one comes. Unfortunately due to translation shenanigans the 3rd book is only available in compendiums in English, which sucks.

Star-Lord

I got a new graphic novel today, the 4th book for Blacksad, trying to get them all before the next one comes. Unfortunately due to translation shenanigans the 3rd book is only available in compendiums in English, which sucks.
I’m assuming that’s manga?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Fuck me Atlanta is too goddam crowded it takes 87 fucking hours to drive half a mile

Welcome to my world. I have to take inventive routes using backroads if I want to get anything done in a reasonable amount of time. The main streets are always packed with way, way too many stop lights because I guess Americans are too dumb to figure out roundabouts.

Driving to the Target or grocer, which are adjacent and 2.2 miles away, takes me about 15 minutes on the main street that is 45 MPH. If I take the backroads, which takes me in a big semi circle that Google Maps tells me is 3.1 miles in total, takes me about five minutes because no traffic or stop lights.

Peggies

Gold Member
Good morning, you guuuys!
How is everybody's weekend going?

At the risk of repeating myself: Where the fuck is my PS5? I've been waiting to buy it since last last christmas but it's impossible to get one. Is it just Europe?

Like, can you Americans just go to a shop and take one from the shelf?

What kind of system is that? Does Mr. Sony even care? I'm so sad. The world is such an unruly place 🥺.

Star-Lord

At the risk of repeating myself: Where the fuck is my PS5? I've been waiting to buy it since last last christmas but it's impossible to get one. Is it just Europe?

What kind of system is that? Does Mr. Sony even care? I'm so sad. The world is such an unruly place.
You are not alone, my friend. I’ve got the money for one put away safely, but I can’t find one anywhere. It’s frustrating as hell. All I want it for, at this moment, is Deathloop. And maybe Demon’s Souls. Oh, and FFVII Remake Intergrade. OK, so a few games. Sue me.

Peggies

Gold Member
You are not alone, my friend. I’ve got the money for one put away safely, but I can’t find one anywhere. It’s frustrating as hell. All I want it for, at this moment, is Deathloop. And maybe Demon’s Souls. Oh, and FFVII Remake Intergrade. OK, so a few games. Sue me.
For me it's AC Valhalla, Resident Evil with the big lady, Watchdogs.

I wanted to play the hell out of it before the little baby comes. It's so frustrating!

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Fuck no. I have been trying to snag one for my brother for Christmas for the last few months and they're sold out in less than a minute as usual. No big box stores around here carry them on shelves, only available online.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Fuck I hate taxes. $10,981.73 just from the feds alone so far this year and we still have seven or eight paychecks to go. Over a grand a month from someone who is far from rich. Uhhhhh fuck.

Anyways you guys squirrelling away money for a PS5 game once you snag one, if you haven't already played it on PS4 I'd suggest Spider-Man. Pretty sure the PS5 version proper comes with Miles Morales. It's not the prettiest pure PS5 game out there but it makes excellent use of all of the features of the PS5 and DualSense and it's fun as hell.

Star-Lord

Fuck I hate taxes. $10,981.73 just from the feds alone so far this year and we still have seven or eight paychecks to go. Over a grand a month from someone who is far from rich. Uhhhhh fuck.
I don’t normally wish death on people, but I’d happily watch the entire HMRC burn to the ground, along with those money-grabbing pricks inside. I’m on PAYE so my tax gets automatically deducted, but my friend is self-employed. The paperwork he does and the rates he pay are insane. No wonder so many self-employed went bust during COVID.

T8SC

Gold Member

Anyways you guys squirrelling away money for a PS5 game once you snag one, if you haven't already played it on PS4 I'd suggest Spider-Man. Pretty sure the PS5 version proper comes with Miles Morales. It's not the prettiest pure PS5 game out there but it makes excellent use of all of the features of the PS5 and DualSense and it's fun as hell.

Thats about £8000, in 9 month?

So thats going to be less than £12,000 in 12 months? Don't ever come to the UK, you'll get a bad back from being bent over & bummed. (and a sore ass).

I don’t normally wish death on people, but I’d happily watch the entire HMRC burn to the ground, along with those money-grabbing pricks inside. I’m on PAYE so my tax gets automatically deducted, but my friend is self-employed. The paperwork he does and the rates he pay are insane. No wonder so many self-employed went bust during COVID.

Look at it another way, there's countless self-employed fiddling figures and have done for years. I know someone who setup their own "limited company" and yet worked full time for another company as a "contractor" basically paid about £50 a year or some shit and carted off £££££££ so in some regards, fuck the self-employed because so many fiddled the books for years and now are crying. (IM NOT SAYING ALL DID THIS).

Also, as much as we do get bent over & fucked regarding taxes, we have a good health care system (for now) a decent enough state pension system and (though I don't use any) other benefits for those on maternity etc. Yes, there's also a shit tonne of people who just sit on benefits and drink Strongbow daily on their council house porch but lets ignore those.

Also whilst we're on the topic of taxes, the new "social care" tax can get fucked. It's basically to pay back the furlough yeah? So I ask:

Those who signed up for the furlough scheme, had to do just that, sign up ... IE: register. So their NI numbers etc are known, so why:

1: Should Jimmy & Jane who lost their jobs during Covid and are trying to get back on their feet with a new job, have to pay back furlough tax?
2: Should Bob who worked throughout Covid, including more hours to cover the pricks who abused the system with constant "i need a test", have to pay back the furlough tax?

Why isn't it just those who actually signed up to the furlough scheme? Am I missing something? I don't pay back people's University fees because they signed up to a Uni loan ... people should pay back what THEY signed up for, not expect the rest of people struggling to get through this to pick up the slack for them.

I think thats a long enough post for a Sunday. :messenger_confused:

Last edited:

Star-Lord

I think thats a long enough post for a Sunday.
Oh, I know there are corrupt self-employed people out there and always will be. It’s not just your Average Joe trying to dodge the taxman, either. Just look at Jimmy Carr, for example, he siphoned off tens of thousands to an off-shore account. And then you have the big boys like Amazon and Starbucks. People will always try to hold on to their money as best they can.

As for the NHS, I’m incredibly thankful we have them. I couldn’t imagine having to pay for healthcare, like the US does. And despite it being free, they always go above and beyond. When I lost my parents, the staff at the hospital were fantastic. One thing that does irk me, however, are the dole tossers who abuse the system. If you’re unemployed by choice and living on benefits, your use of the NHS should come out your benefits. See how many people suddenly get a job then.

As for furlough, I agree. If you didn’t sign up for furlough, why should you be expected to help pay it back to recover? I was furloughed, but I don’t like the idea of others having to pay to help recover from something that benefitted me. Implementing a system like the one you suggested makes more sense, which is probably why the government won’t do it. And as for uni fees and loans, I’m still paying mine back.

Peggies

Gold Member
and then that's the end of your gaming life for the next several years. This generation is a bad investment for you.
Well yeah, but I can dress him in funny clothes and put little hats on his cute little head, so this will keep me entertained for a while.

Do you have PS5s where you live?

Peggies

Gold Member
Fuck no. I have been trying to snag one for my brother for Christmas for the last few months and they're sold out in less than a minute as usual. No big box stores around here carry them on shelves, only available online.
This is how I feel about that:
the office rage GIF

Is this the new way of business? Scavengers ruining it for everyone and fucking mega companies not giving a shit about it? That's so unfair, I think I'm gonna cry.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

I wish my tax bill was only $11k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom