• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online Beta Official Thread -- NEOGAF DRAWS AGAINST KOJIPRO, video inside

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
took me a good few hours to move on from level 2, including time to get used to the controls and tweak everything to a system I like. Played about 9 hours and I'm on level 4, think I have about 300 kills total.

Did some experimentation with the anasthetic weapons today, pistol, sniper and sleeping gas mine but they all seem pretty hard to use and not very useful. The pistol in particular needs reloading after every shot and only a headshot will knock them out in one. Same for the sniper but at least you're supposed to use that from a distance. Still, I cant imagine why you would sacrifice a main weapon, get into a sniping position and attempt headshots on people.

Its not like they get drugged and eventually fall asleep either from what I've seen, each shot knocks down their stamina bar a notch but thats it. Not very useful at all.

note: I hate how your traps can affect your team mates, severely limits the usefulness of things like placing mines at your base to delay SOP destab or anywhere else for that matter. You can even walk into your own traps. It means the use of traps is not a tactical or strategic thing but more about luck and randomness. Either you place it in a key location and hope your enemy triggers it before a team mate or you place it randomly and hope your team mates avoid it and someone randomly stumbles on it - but then theres no real point to using it at all.

Euphor!a

Banned
I don't know if this has been answered in the 150+ pages yet, but does anyone know if your levels will carry over to the retail game?

From a thread on the PS Forums...

To use CQC moves you must have the CQC skill equipped and must be empty handed, holding a knife, or holding a pistol.

* Pressing R1 will result in a punch, while holding is a grab.

* Coming across someone from any direction(you must be pretty close to them) hold the R1 button to get them in the choke hold. If you grab them while pressing a direction on the analog stick and R1 the enemy will be thrown to the ground, so make sure you are not moving when you grab.

* When you keep someone in a choke hold, your stamina will slowly be depleted. If your not careful, the enemy can break free.(Thanks Mastafarian 3)

* Hold R1 lighty will keep them from passing out.

* Holding R1 tightly will choke them out.

* If you let go of R1 really quckly and press it hard again with a direction on the analog stick, you will throw your enemy to the floor in the direction you chose.

* If you crouch with X and let go of R1 really quckly and press it hard again with a direction on the analog stick, you will roll the enemy over and choke them out while they are in a prone position.

* Pressing triangle during the chokehold will cut the enemy's throat.(Must be Knife Mastery Level 3 - Thanks SnakeStrife)

* Start the chokehold by holding R1. As the animation begins, release R1 and quickly repress and hold R1. This will disarm the opponent as you are bring them to the chokehold position. Their weapon will be dropped to the ground(Must be CQC Mastery Level 3 - Thanks SnakeStrife)

* Also if you are holding your pistol you can grab someone from behind and hold L1 which will bring you into aiming mode at which point you can let go of R1 and use it to shoot. Once you let go of L1 you must hold R1 again to continue the choke hold.

To level up knife mastery:

onipar wrote: I think (only based on what I've read around the forum) that to level up you simply continue to use the skill **well**, meaning, effectively. I also heard that if you're looking for slightly faster upgrading, that possibly going into a "knife-only" fight would help...presumably because you only use the knife. As far as I know, you can't level up using only the tutorial, but this is just a guess on my part.

MADGAME wrote: Heres a CQC/throat-slitting thought. It takes CQC lvl 1 and knife lvl 3 to cut throats. It's pretty neat to see and it's a quick satisfying kill. The problem is this takes all 4 of your skill point and leaves nothing for speed, weapons, etc. Other than a knife-only match, is it worth it? Seems like it would be better to stick to lvl 1 CQC and knife...what do you think?

Pressure Sensitive Buttons:

All the buttons on the PS3 controller are pressure sensitive. Go to the training mode and practice the choke hold on enemies. You will see what I'm talking about. A light hold will just hold them, but a strong hold will choke them out(deplete their stamina) and they will turn bright orange. Hope this helps

onipar wrote: Right, just adding to what Brett wrote here. If you watch your opponant's health bar, and practice this light hold vs. strong hold (or light press on R1 vs. hard press on R1), you'll see that when you push down harder on the button, the enemy's health bar will drain. (Actually, it might not be the "health" bar...there seem to be a couple bars that I haven't really paid much attention to, but it's one of the ones over their head). And if youpress lightly, they will just remain in the hold, but not have anything drain away on their gauges.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/pla...hread.id=286660&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

EviLore said:
Yep, the sound needs some serious work. i'm a veteran counter-strike player but I'll often have absolutely no idea about the direction and distance that full volume footstep sounds are coming from, even after doing a full circle with the camera.
Really? On my 5.1 setup all sounds come from the proper channels so it's been about as good on speakers as CS/DoD using headphones.

edit: Booooooo I missed the photo session.

Darkpen

Banned
MickeyKnox said:
Really? On my 5.1 setup all sounds come from the proper channels so it's been about as good on speakers as CS/DoD using headphones.

edit: Booooooo I missed the photo session.
what photo session???

I saw on the community page you can upload "photos from the game," but I have no fucking clue how or what.

Darkpen said:
what photo session???

I saw on the community page you can upload "photos from the game," but I have no fucking clue how or what.
look a couple pages back, gafers got together for picture taking

Kyoufu

KurowaSan said:
everyone left the euro server :(.
Oh well, i should really stop playing for today :lol

Yeah, played too much today. Playing with Euro GAF has been really fun so far. Today was really funny.

Both teams using SOP destabs at the same time (so everyone is just standing there uncontrollably) and Evo stun kniving his teammates just to get me also :lol

More funny stuff but then I'd be here all night typing.

Darkpen

Banned
MickeyKnox said:
look a couple pages back, gafers got together for picture taking
oh, that.

Anyways, is there a way to take pictures in-game? I don't understand how the community page expects you to be able to upload photos of the game itself.

jett

D-Member
industrian said:
263jas4.jpg

34e99qs.jpg

nwhcgi.jpg

Metalmurphy asked me to post these here. He also apologizes for his crappy skill at Photo taking. (It's still at Lvl 1)

EUROBETA NEOGAF REPRESENT

*salute*

Kyoufu said:
Yeah, played too much today. Playing with Euro GAF has been really fun so far. Today was really funny.

Both teams using SOP destabs at the same time (so everyone is just standing there uncontrollably) and Evo stun kniving his teammates just to get me also :lol

More funny stuff but then I'd be here all night typing.
It's sad that my rocket to the ground after the photo session gets no recognition :(, I got like two kills off that.

And war demands sacrifices......

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
Adamrogo said:
For god's sake, change the frog unit clan avatar. Neo Gaf in ugly purple letters ftl. :(

This. I was too slow to join any of the other clans, and I'd rather have no logo than that logo.

Also, I would've loved a NeoGAF Dead Cell clan. My name is TheCrimsonKing on MGO, so I would fit perfectly! :D

Cragen

Euphor!a said:
I don't know if this has been answered in the 150+ pages yet, but does anyone know if your levels will carry over to the retail game?

Don't think that has been anwsered, but guess it's possible if they deside to still use the Konami/Game ID and you still got got the beta installed (Not sure if the charactar info is stored on your PS3 or if they also save the info on the Konami site)

Kyoufu

Cragen said:
Don't think that has been anwsered, but guess it's possible if they deside to still use the Konami/Game ID and you still got got the beta installed (Not sure if the charactar info is stored on your PS3 or if they also save the info on the Konami site)

All your data is stored on their servers (you can use your login on any PS3 with your stats being retained).

Not sure if they'll allow stats to carry over. The game is pretty balanced in most aspects so I don't think there'd be a problem.

DCharlie

Banned
So let me get this straight. NOBODY else on gaf is getting the 090b:00000000001 error?

i got it - for a whole day or two, until i clicked what the issue is but getting an answer was VERY VERY frustrating.

For me, i'd downloaded the US beta.

BUT i'm in Japan - so i would get this message.
I'd guess that on the US beta it's hardwired to look for the server per game rather than use your IP address.

So, i downloaded the JP version, and bob's your father's brother - no problems. Got in, no longer got the error.

So please double check you have the right version for your region.

depward said:
Man, I hate this knockdown + stun knife instakill combo...

then you're gonna love me![/batman]

I'm a FAN of knockdown + knife :D

I used to get killed that way and pissed me off but it makes sense for it's all worth it. I tried doing it and WOW! It's superliciously amazing!

M4 Custom + Grip + Knife + CQC lvl 1 + Knife lvl 1 + Rifle lvl 2 = SEX!!!

Oh and OMFG!!! GAF Fox Unit has an amazingg emblem!! GAF Frogs unit need similar emblem :p

buscket

please pass whatever crack you all are smoking. this game is horrid. I've given it a solid few hours of tries. i've done auto aim and hand aiming, headshots and spray and pray, cqc and knifing. Every time i'm unceremoniously spammed with half ass run and gun or spawn campers. over it.

buscket said:
please pass whatever crack you all are smoking. this game is horrid. I've given it a solid few hours of tries. i've done auto aim and hand aiming, headshots and spray and pray, cqc and knifing. Every time i'm unceremoniously spammed with half ass run and gun or spawn campers. over it.

kthxbye

Link said:
I agree. Someone with the proper skills get on that, please.

im trying really hard to do illustration homework and you guys go an request a NeoGaf Frog.... damn im never gonna get my work done. ill see if i can get one done tonight. :D

Edit: glad you think the fox logo is sexy fistfull procrastination brings out the best work. :lol

Core407

Banned
buscket said:

Use the 3rd person view for distance attacks and when you're on higher ground. Generally I don't use FPS mode unless I'm at an advantage somehow. Be it the player doesn't see me, I'm laying on the ground under a dumpster or whatever. Use grenades, too. :) Also - use that 3rd person camera to look around areas before going in.

Kyoufu

kiryogi said:
So yeah, seems like no one really uses SOP out there XD

SOP Destabs? They're abused frequently, but if you're talking about scans, yeah...I checked my stats and it said 0 used. I don't even know how to hack players and scan them and shit.

Is it even in the beta?

buscket

OokieSpookie said:

enlighten me. what's the secret sauce I'm misisng that makes this fun? I stealthily approach someone, lock on, and get a half clip off with no effect before they leap 20 feat and stun me with knife. I try to use the knife and can't make it within 20 feet because the same spray and pray i tried using on them riddles me with bullets.

I want to like it (or i wouldn't keep trying), but it just isn't working for me. I'm not a noob, I can old my own in console shooters, but this is just aggravating rather than entertaining me.

Kyoufu said:
SOP Destabs? They're abused frequently, but if you're talking about scans, yeah...I checked my stats and it said 0 used. I don't even know how to hack players and scan them and shit.

Is it even in the beta?
You have to have the scanning skill and when you hold someone press triangle. I was using it earlier in the beta but it didn't seem that useful because the person I got was never connected to their teams SOP system. :lol

Top Bottom