• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots TGS 2007 Thread -- HD Direct up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoboman

Ether_Snake said:
What are you talking about? They both are identical to one another and to Big Boss. Liquid just shaves and dyed his hair blond.
No, actually they are both naturally blonde. It was Snake who dyed his hair in MGS.

Brofist

Not to go off topic, but I was going through my TGS stuff and I noticed I have a few of the MGS4 info books handed out at the booth. I am keeping one, and giving one to a friend which means one is up for grabs.

Anyone that wants it for just the price of shipping let me know by PM.

mgs4.jpg

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Solo said:
I could never get passed the Boss' terrible English VA. Its a character I wanted to like, but she was so badly acted that anything I should have felt about her, I didnt. I was glad to pull the trigger just to make her shut up.
I think her voice sounded fine. Her voice fits with her character. She speaks with authority. There was a lack of emotion in her voice, but again its part of the character. She had to come off as this stubborn, strong personality and that monotone voice of hers worked out perfectly.

psycho_snake

"One of my ideas [for MGS4's ending] was that, since Snake and Otacon are breaking the law in order to fulfill their justice, I was thinking of having them turn themselves in, and for the sake of justice, they'd get convicted and executed by the law," he explained. "But all of my staff went against the idea, so I decided not to go with that."

But even if Snake doesn't get executed at the end of MGS4, Kojima seems firm that he doesn't want Snake back.

"As long as there's a game called MGS5 and it's a game where you sneak around, it doesn't have to be Solid Snake, right? I'd like that to be created by the younger developers," he said. "To put it another way, Solid Snake is one character that I don't want to entrust to other people."
I can see why everyone was against the idea of snake and liquid getting locked up. Its a bad ending for such a big character. I would have been disappointed with an ending like that. The way I see it, the ending of MGS4 will see snake die. There's quite a bit of evidence to suggest that he will. He's old, sick and this is kojima's last MGS game. Kojima said that he doesnt want to entrust snake with anybody else, so just to make sure that no one else will use snake, he'll kill him. Snake began with kojima and it will end with kojima; thats the way it should be,

It'll be interesting to see what happoens with the Metal gear series after MGS4. Its too big of a title to just forget about. It sells loads and makes a lot of money for konami, so they;re obviously going to want to contiunue working on it. There's a lot of things that they can do. Konami could either use another big MGS character like raiden, or they could start from scratch and create something completely unreleted to snake or any of the other characters in previous MGS games.

psycho_snake said:
It'll be interesting to see what happoens with the Metal gear series after MGS4. Its too big of a title to just forget about. It sells loads and makes a lot of money for konami, so they;re obviously going to want to contiunue working on it. There's a lot of things that they can do. Konami could either use another big MGS character like raiden, or they could start from scratch and create something completely unreleted to snake or any of the other characters in previous MGS games.
Well, only half the MGS games has snake as a main character. So its not that difficult to work around Snake. But I wonder if they still call it Metal Gear Solid

psycho_snake said:
It'll be interesting to see what happoens with the Metal gear series after MGS4. Its too big of a title to just forget about. It sells loads and makes a lot of money for konami, so they;re obviously going to want to contiunue working on it.

I'm wondering this too. Personally, I'm hoping it will follow the path that the comic book Sandman did, and just end when the creator wants it to. One trend I really don't like in gaming is the move from caring about individual games to caring about franchises, and continuing to milk them beyond recognition.

Sirolf

kpop100 said:
Not to go off topic, but I was going through my TGS stuff and I noticed I have a few of the MGS4 info books handed out at the booth. I am keeping one, and giving one to a friend which means one is up for grabs.

Anyone that wants it for just the price of shipping let me know by PM.

mgs4.jpg

PM sent Kpop !! :D

chaostrophy said:
I'm wondering this too. Personally, I'm hoping it will follow the path that the comic book Sandman did, and just end when the creator wants it to. One trend I really don't like in gaming is the move from caring about individual games to caring about franchises, and continuing to milk them beyond recognition.
I don't want them to stop making MG games, but I also don't want them to milk it. They should stop calling it MGS, and change the name to something else (like psp did with PO). They could also remake the MSX games:D

Nytekrawla said:
I don't want them to stop making MG games, but I also don't want them to milk it. They should stop calling it MGS, and change the name to something else (like psp did with PO). They could also remake the MSX games:D

They didn't really change the name in MPO. It's full title is Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops. Speaking of which, EB is currently listing Portable Ops plus for a November 13th release at 19.99.

Greg

After MGS4, the whole MG franchise should die until the next wave of consoles - by then, Kojima would've been hounded for years and years by fans to make another MG game...and of course, he will break down and do it.

Aggelos

The article
http://img140.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=99506_18_122_228lo.jpg

The title is This is why Snake has to die. (I've put spoiler tags, just in case)

We can extract the word “fear” from the war activities & divide it into two parts in the world of MSG4. Firstly, the war between the PMCs, which we can characterize as a war that does not depend on ideologies. And it's not the “fear”, but the economical factor that incites this conflict. Additionally there is a system built to control & regulate the PMCs’ activities: the SOP (Sons of the Patriots), a nanomachine control system. The nanomachines get injected in order to have an ID administrating system and to authorize the soldiers. If the ID is not validated, the system denies it from utilizing all kinds of weapons (heavy and non). This particular ID system has two 2 meanings which we must not overlook. It works as an identifier for individual people and as an ID-basis that will “individualize” even more the individual soldiers. The SOP-nanomachines expand the abilities of the individual soldiers, but on the other hand even sentimental-control is possible on them. We can say that even history control is possible through the accumulation of an enormous individual data, which subsequently takes place through genetic control, info-control (meme), sentimental-control, even human life control. You can think of it as the perfect form of the S3 project that was referred in MGS2. A pure battlefield that specializes only on the extermination of the enemy. A warlike fairyland pervaded with cruelty/inhumanity. Although MGS4 is depicting thoroughly & systematically a pure battlefield, it obviously features elements of an uncanny typicality.

Firstly, the slowly dying & aged Solid Snake. If your remove the letters I and S from the word SOLID you have the codename OLD for Snake, and the IS stands for “not being”. That is to say, Snake bears the burden of “not being”/”non-existing”.

Another uncanny typicality of the MGS4 realm, is the monster-like female soldier unit “The Beauty & the Beast”. A familiar story for all of us: A merchant, who lost his way, ends in a mansion where a dreadful beast lives. The merchant driven by his desire sees some beautiful flowers and he plucks a few of them. The beast gets angry and as a reward it demands from the merchant to take his daughter. The beast proposes to the daughter but she refuses. The merchant is ill. When the daughter finds out about it, she begs the Beast to let her go to her sick father. But the Beast says to her that if she’s not back soon enough, it (the Beast) will die. The daughter promises to the Beast, which is on the verge of death, that she will come back and marry it. And thereupon, the magic spell brakes and the Beast transforms into a beautiful young man.

In MGS4 the word Beast refers to the unleashed soldiers. However they do have affinity for love. But in this case “the flowers have already been plucked”. In contrast with the Beast, which desired the young daughter, the MGS4 Beasts desire the feeling of love. And when they have it, they will reveal their original form.

The Beauty & the Beast. The piercing knife. The fear. The fear is a factor, which boosts war activities. This is what wars were all about in the past: deterrence. But nowadays it is inefficient. Therefore there is a system that controls even the individual sentimental-condition of a person in order to bring about regulation and warfare. “The flowers have already been plucked by the merchant”, and the Beasts- (a sentence I don't understand, sorry guys). In this case, the only thing left for someone is to protect himself, since “the flowers never had the chance to bloom in the first place”. The only thing that somebody can count on is himself, as there is a world around that extracts every “existing” part of a human being and digitalizes it in order to control it. The non-existing part cannot be digitalized and subsequently cannot be controlled. Which means, towards a world that has the tendency to digitalize everything, the way to oppose is by not existing, despite the belief that there is always something worthy left. And when the time comes, in which the spells of this insane world will brake, the Beasts will return to their original form. The flowers will bloom fully, the people will earn their sentimental-freedom to love, to rejoice, to cry.

The female soldiers of the unit “The Beauty & the Beast”, were created in this world accidentally. They are hapless entities transformed into beasts, because they just happened to be on a place where a witch was swinging her stick. On their creation they were covered with flowers, but eventually the flowers were stolen from them. In other words this is the same that happened to Raiden, Naomi, Otacon and the others. They have a place to go, a place, where they can free themselves from this cursed world. A place where they can all be “Sons of Liberty”.

However there is a man, who lost the privilege of being a “Son of Liberty”. He was created by the “Les Enfant Terrible” project, a project that “convicted” him to become the incarnation of the most powerful soldier. A deprived human being by the witch’s cursed spell since his beginning. A human being that was born without the flowers that he deserved. A human being that cannot exist anywhere else, but except on the battlefield. A human being that has no place to go. He formed an anti-metal gear organization by his own will, in order to free himself from the bonds of genes, by delineating his own cursed inside. By disbelieving his own genes, he expostulates (dissuades) with the Patriots, after knowing that they plan to “revive” Big Boss. He intends to free this world from the madness of war and surely this madness will always bug him. For one more time, he has to count on himself. “Is the battlefield looking for him? Is the battlefield after him?” Not really. He is the battlefield itself. That is why he has the title of “non-existing” in the battlefield. If he does not exist, then the battlefield also does not exist. They “gave birth” to him to fulfill the perverted desires of this world, thus he is the only one who will break the witch’s curse/spell, which beset this world. His only option is to divulge the deception of his existence. He has to appear in front of us, possessing the form of the “impossible” (=an exhausted, aged, ugly old bastard). Only Snake’s death will portray, depict & illustrate perfectly this “impossible form” and this “non-existing”.

Only then, the witch’s curse/spell will be broken and the world will move on. Only then the “immortal” Snake will have his appropriate demise. Only then the word “OLD” from “SOLID” will be erased, and the “IS” will remain. When this unprecedented dawn shines on this world, the new-era snake will continue to exist someplace in there.

MGS4 is meant to narrate how the non-existing Snake becomes an existing entity.

-Special thanks goes to Talim JP for his contribution!

psycho_snake

Nytekrawla said:
I'd love to see a remake of the MG games. Technology has advanced so much since MG was made, so it will feel like a completely new game.

The Stealth Fox

Aggelos said:
The article

Nice. However, I feel that the coherency of the ideas expressed in this piece is kind of lost in translation (which isn't anyone's fault). I get what he's saying though, so thanks for the info! Very interesting.

Datrio

Imm0rt4l said:
at the end of MGS1 on top of Metal Gear REX, Liquid gives Snake a little speech about his bloodline, brothers, including the genome soldiers.
But there's nothing about "Project Eve". "Metal Gear Solid"+"Project Eve" on Google gives mostly Italian results, so...

SamuraiX-

Aggelos said:
The article
http://img140.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=99506_18_122_228lo.jpg

The title is This is why Snake has to die. (I've put spoiler tags, just in case)

*Article Translation*

-Special thanks goes to Talim JP for his contribution!

Daaaaaamn, man! That's such a sweet amount of information! So Snake basically has to die, as Kojima said awhile back in an interview with a European gaming magazine I believe. With this idea in mind, he definitely wasn't kidding. But I like to think that there is "another way," as there always is in those kinds of stories where the hero only has "one way out," but ends up discovering an alternative. Damn this game is going to be epic...

Much thanks for all that hard work, Aggelos! I wonder why Kojima only reveals this kind of information to the Japanese audience? :O

Imm0rt4l

Datrio said:
But there's nothing about "Project Eve". "Metal Gear Solid"+"Project Eve" on Google gives mostly Italian results, so...

you'll get some hits if you enter"metal gear solid"+"Eve Project" or "les enfants terribles+Eve Project"

hell it's even on urbandictionary.com, or go to one of the gamefaqs story faqs. I'm positive it's called the Eve Project, I specifically remember Liquid saying before the hand to hand fight on metal gear rex.

Aggelos

SamuraiX- said:
Much thanks for all that hard work, Aggelos! I wonder why Kojima only reveals this kind of information to the Japanese audience? :O

If you ask me, I think that it is because Kojima and other JP devs don't speak any English (Ya, I know, my opinion is subjective).
You see for instance in E3, all the JP devs participate and almost all of them speak through translators and interpreters.
They cannot give an interview in English.... You see Kojima Hideo, you see Yamauchi Kazunori, you see Mikami Shinji, you see Suzuki Yu, you see Murata Shuyo, you see Shinkawa Youji, you see Suda 51, you see Itagaki Tomonobu, you see Harada Katsuhiro, , you see Sakaguchi, you see Kobayashi Hiroyuki, etc...etc...
It gives to me the impression that they are mocking the establishment.
They know that English is an international language, but they will not accede to the establishment....

psycho_snake

Imm0rt4l said:
you'll get some hits if you enter"metal gear solid"+"Eve Project" or "les enfants terribles+Eve Project"

hell it's even on urbandictionary.com, or go to one of the gamefaqs story faqs. I'm positive it's called the Eve Project, I specifically remember Liquid saying before the hand to hand fight on metal gear rex.
I just looked through the MGS game script quickly and I couldnt find it, but I'll search for it properly later.

I believe you though. I checked on urbandictionary and it mentions that its called the eve project just like you said. People on other forums have also called it the eve project. The way i see it, thats a big indication that Eva is the mother of snake, liquid and solidus. Its too much of a coincidence that she was called eva and the les enfants terribles project was called the eve project.

Aggelos

Greg said:
Just went through and downloaded/watched all the trailers - the TGS '05 trailer looked so damn good...

It looks so damn good and that's what makes me skeptic.... And there was a demo of MGS4 running on a "premature" PS3 dev kit.
I believe that Kojima deceived us. I believe it was CG....

tha_con

Banned
Aggelos said:
It looks so damn good and that's what makes me skeptic.... And there was a demo of MGS4 running on a "premature" PS3 dev kit.

No.

SamuraiX-

Aggelos said:

Naw, it wasn't CG. If it was, he couldn't do that dev-kit presentation, plain and simple. The only difference was that the TGS 2005 trailer was strictly for presentation purposes. The trailer was running directly off PS3 hardware with no limitations. Obviously maintaining that kind of quality in the actual game would probably cause glitches and frame rate issues. The final product doesn't look too much different anyway. I actually like how Snake looks in the TGS 2007 trailer and gameplay demo. He looked way too plastic to me in the TGS 2005 trailer.

Actually, the TGS 2005 trailer gave no feeling of "MGS" to me. The artistic design and graphical quality just far to different and it just looked like a different series or something. Right now, with the latest videos from TGS 2007 released, everything about the visual quality is screaming MGS, so that's why I love it. :D

Greg

From what I could tell, there was absolutely no slowdown in the TGS '05 trailer - definitely not CG, but they must have just assumed what specs they were going to get and shot way to far. The part in the beginning in first-person view is absolutely fucking nuts - looks on a whole different level than what we are seeing now with all the particles/debris/amount of things on the screen.

Jump to the E3 '06 trailer (which is still the best damn one), especially with the music) which had slowdown throughout the whole thing and was showing much less on screen.

Greg said:
From what I could tell, there was absolutely no slowdown in the TGS '05 trailer - definitely not CG, but they must have just assumed what specs they were going to get and shot way to far. The part in the beginning in first-person view is absolutely fucking nuts - looks on a whole different level than what we are seeing now with all the particles/debris/amount of things on the screen.

Jump to the E3 '06 trailer (which is still the best damn one), especially with the music) which had slowdown throughout the whole thing and was showing much less on screen.

Arrrgh I know the E3 05 trailer was much better looking, but hopefully they can hit close to that.

About the First-person mode in MGS4. Is the gun always centered in the Iron cross view or can you let the gun go down to your right-hand side like in most FPS's or like this \/ \/

wound.gif

I'd really like that because when the gun is in the center of the screen you can't see around you as much and the camera is zoomed in a little. I'd rather have the FPS view like the one above.

Bebpo

Banned
Aggelos said:

No, it was running on a computer/devkit on what the supposed specs of the PS3 were according to Sony.

Sony lied to developers about what the GPU could do, and that's why almost none of the tech demos match up from any developer.

KTallguy

Banned
InterMoniker said:
Arrrgh I know the E3 05 trailer was much better looking, but hopefully they can hit close to that.

About the First-person mode in MGS4. Is the gun always centered in the Iron cross view or can you let the gun go down to your right-hand side like in most FPS's or like this \/ \/

wound.gif

I'd really like that because when the gun is in the center of the screen you can't see around you as much and the camera is zoomed in a little. I'd rather have the FPS view like the one above.

I don't know if they're gonna change the gun.
Part of me wants it so that you can only fire if you aim it properly, but movement allows you to drop the gun.

Aggelos

tha_con said:

No way. First of all let's get the facts straigth.

-When PS2 dev kits came out in 1999, programmers spend months experimenting with the hardware, before the start building the the engine (Kojima said so in an MGS2 interview).
-MGS4 project started Winter 2004.
-First incomplete PS3 dev kits (codename cytology - PS3 evaluating system) came out Spring 2005.
-TGS2005 was September.

You're saying that from Spring 2005 to Sep 2005 they've managed to build game engine, to render character models, settings, vehicles, etc???? No way!
Everything was CG. Even the MGS4 dev-kit demo was CG. They created CG footage that looked like running on a dev-kit

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Aggelos said:
You're saying that from Spring 2005 to Sep 2005 they've managed to build game engine, to render character models, settings, vehicles, etc???? No way!
Everything was CG. Even the MGS4 dev-kit demo was CG. They created CG footage that looked like running on a dev-kit
That TGS05 demo was not CG, are you serious in what you're saying? They manipulated the scene using the controller, changed lighting and colors interactively, etc. You can't simulate something like that through CG.

KTallguy said:
I don't know if they're gonna change the gun.
Part of me wants it so that you can only fire if you aim it properly, but movement allows you to drop the gun.
Thank you I've been trying to figure out if it will be like that for a while now.

The other centered view just seems way too zoomed in to actually go around and play the game in FPS view.

Kojima should make it like MGS3 where the gun is down to the right and then you hit L1 to go into the iron-cross view. I hope it's like that.

Bebpo

Banned
Aggelos said:
No way. First of all let's get the facts straigth.

-When PS2 dev kits came out in 1999, programmers spend months experimenting with the hardware, before the start building the the engine (Kojima said so in an MGS2 interview).
-MGS4 project started Winter 2004.
-First incomplete PS3 dev kits (codename cytology - PS3 evaluating system) came out Spring 2005.
-TGS2005 was September.

Yeah, uhh...it wasn't CG. Again it was a tech demo they made based on what they thought the PS3 specs were.

Greg

No way any of the trailers were CG - the specs they had just weren't correct or they assumed they were getting more than what they planned for and had to scale back as time went on.

Aggelos, I think all this MGS theory-talk is getting to your head! :lol

Man this game has got me so damn excited!

It's like a mix between Gundam and some pure win. The characters are so "alive" and I'm eagerly wanting to see what they're all about, so much shit going on!~

*faints*

SamuraiX-

Bebpo said:
No, it was running on a computer/devkit on what the supposed specs of the PS3 were according to Sony.

Sony lied to developers about what the GPU could do, and that's why almost none of the tech demos match up from any developer.

Right! That was it! I completely forgot. The same thing happened with Killzone 2 as well, huh?

KTallguy said:

Portable Ops let you aim in first person and move at the same time, and you can hold down a trigger for ironsights on some guns. Not sure why it can't be like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom