• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3 turns 10 today. Time paradox!

Varth

17/11 marks ten years since the US release of MGS 3, one of my all-time favourite games and one of the more painstakingly, lovingly crafted games ever. Love the game serious side, and maybe even more his occasional idiocy. Love his strong points, and even more his faults, the stuff Kojima had to work around to build what as of today is still his best game.

Ten years later, I still find details in the game I missed in the 10 plus time I played trough it, like The End early death, something I discovered only for the dedicated trophy in the HD collection, or the diverse, and often slapstick-like tactics in the Fear battle. It never fails to amaze me with its details, like the Ocelot Time Paradox, or send a shiver down my spine when Snake Eater comes up in the ladder scene.

Still a masterpiece. To measure its greatness, just think how many 2014 games will still be remembered in 10 years time. Hope PC gamers get a shot at the HD collection to prepare for MGS V in the proper way.

Wanna share some Snake tales?

/bigbosssalute

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
God, 10 years?! Man, I feel old @_@

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
BEST ENDING IN VIDEOGAME HISTORY!

iLmhVETS0m92y.gif

Isotope

What an absolutely amazing game Snake Eater was. Playing through MGS 1-4 this year was an absolute joy, with 3 being the peak.

Here's hoping V delivers (Which so far, it's looking like an easy bet that it will).

All of these threads just keep reminding me about how great of a year 2004 was for games. Like holy shit dude, this time back then was insane with the amount of great games coming out.

EBreda

It's still the worst MGS to me, alongside 4. which doesn't mean it's bad. I just think 1 and 2 are truly masterpieces.

Varth

All of these threads just keep reminding me about how great of a year 2004 was for games. Like holy shit dude, this time back then was insane with the amount of great games coming out.

Heh. In like a month, around october/november, we got MGS3, Half-Life 2 and GTA San Andreas. And earlier in the year there were Ninja Gaiden, Metroid Prime 2, Rome Total War and LOTS of others. Great time to be a gamer.

Prelude.

Ten years later, I still find details in the game I missed in the 10 plus time I played trough it
Yeah, I've only just found out during my Vita platinum run that you can use the Konami code during The End's battle to reveal his position on the map and that if you juggle your SAA during Ocelot's fight he comes out and starts doing the same.

Travo

Heh. In like a month, around october/november we got MGS3, Half-Life 2 and GTA San Andreas. And earlier there was Ninja Gaiden, and lots of others. Great time to be a gamer.

You forgot KOTOR 2, Metroid Prime 2 and Halo 2. Greatest year for gaming ever.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The sheer MAJESTY of the ending blew me away and still does. It's so perfect. It's long, it's satisfying, it's emotional, it's conclusive, it's action-packed, it's quiet and contemplative, it's exciting and it is perfect.

I don't know why we ever needed to see MORE Big Boss after this game, but whatever.

Varth

Yeah, I've only just found out during my Vita platinum run that you can use the Konami code during The End's battle to reveal his position on the map and that if you juggle your SAA during Ocelot's fight he comes out and starts doing the same.

LOL, didn't know either one. This fucking game.

FAKE EDIT: yeah, and Halo 2, how could I forget.

Loved raiding the small enemy encampments and experimenting with enemy reinforcements or patrols. Used to spend so much extra time on the 'survival' element that was needed for gameplay; always changing camo, collecting different food and listening to codec descriptions of them, etc. My favorite Metal Gear for those reasons.

And The End is still my favorite boss fight. Could spend hours replaying that different ways. And probably one of my top 3 endings.

I love this game so much. One of my all time favorite games. The Snake Eater theme song is the goat in the series, nothing compares to it. I even have it on my phone to listen to. Masterpiece.

Prompto

Banned
Best Metal Gear and one of the best games of all time. I really need to get the HD version sometime soon. Hopefully Kojima is able to top himself with MGS V.

This may not be a widely known thing...

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
4 more months for Euro 10 year anniversary!

fucking Konami

Oh man tell me about it. I bought a US PS2 just for this game because i didn't want to wait 4 more months lol. Until MGSV this was my most hyped game of all time. It was insane how many times i've seen the trailers.

Best Metal Gear and one of the best games of all time. I really need to get the HD version sometime soon. Hopefully Kojima is able to top himself with MGS V.

From what we've seen so far it really does look like a mix of MGS3 and PW.

My hype is through the roof.

ezekial45

Banned
What an incredible game. I wore out that PSM Demo Disc so bad. The lead up to the release of this game was unreal. There was so much discussion around the different forums about how it would tie back to the 'present' story. It was definitely a great time to be a Metal Gear fan.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
And 10 years ago those "it's all a VR simulation" theories were put to rest for good.

As a sequel, MGS3 is not what I asked for or wanted after the cliffhanger of MGS2, and this was only compounded by the easter egg of "Who are the patriots?" being the password said to EVA. My 2004 self was like "I don't know, Konami, WHO ARE THEY??"

That said, this is one of the best games of its time, and of all time. I love Big Boss' likeable goofiness, it has by far the best codec support team in the series, the message the story gave was meaningful and powerful, and it works well as a period piece and homage to 60's spy films, too. Hope Phantom Pain can live up to Big Boss' legacy.

Greatest game ever ... absolute genius in every sense of the word.

Moments like Guy Savage, the ladder section, everything about The End fight, everything about the ending, all the characters, stupid details that only Kojima would put in to make the game more realistic, actually the boss fights in general... the fucking codec conversations are amazing even, the music, the comedy, the call backs, the simultaneous linear but open combat and stealth.

I'm sorry everyone, I can't gush over a game more ... this game just has it all.

Top Bottom