• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3 turns 10 today. Time paradox!

RK9039

Snake Eater English version doesn't have anything on the Japanese version though.

tumblr_msinonwKKy1rsjhp0o3_250.gif

Boney

Banned
Still sad that Kojima didn't follow through with his Naked Sample tech demo they made for the 3DS. A full blown remake would've been great

Josman

In my top 3 games ever, maybe #1. It's amazing how it still holds up quite well these days.

But where the fuck is the MGS Collection for Steam!?

This is now and will probably never leave my top 5 games of all time. The story, the characters, the music, Soviet theme... just everything made this game amazing. I think I own it 3 times now. On MGS3, MGS3: Substance, and MGS HD collection for the ps3. I was planning on playing it over again this holiday.

jett

D-Member
How have I never heard this? And how is this not in the other versions?

It's not in the game, in any version, it's not even in the official soundtrack. It's from a promotional disc you got when you pre-ordered the game in Japan, apparently.

A decade already? Mid life crisis levels are rising fast now.

I played the crap or of this game. Or was such a great experience.

deim0s

Best Metal Gear Solid game ever!

Yeah, I've only just found out during my Vita platinum run that you can use the Konami code during The End's battle to reveal his position on the map and that if you juggle your SAA during Ocelot's fight he comes out and starts doing the same.

Eeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiigh! Nani kore!?

How time flies. I still remember every detail leading up to the release of this game. The day of the reveal, the day I stopped at Target to pick up the Official PlayStation Magazine to play the demo, and of course, the day I got the game. Not to mention the limited edition strategy guide. I remember doing a Kerotan run for the first time, attempting to use the guide for help -- only to see a Kerotan with a text bubble that read "Find me!" (KOJIMA!) Oh, and then repeating this hype cycle with Subsistence. That MGO reveal was majestic... God, MGSV is going to be amazing.

Neoweee

Even more shocking is that the MGS Collection is now 3 years old. What have I done with the last three years of my life? Why does it feel like yesterday?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
What the hell, is every classic of last gen turning 10 today or something?

This game is the best MGS for me, along with Sons of Liberty. Wonder if The Phantom Pain will beat them!

10 years, goddamn!

I got like 4 versions of the game.

Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence Limited Edition
The Essentials Collection Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid 3 HD from the Limited Edition PS3 HD set.

I can't stop owning this game!

10 years, goddamn!

I got like 4 versions of the game.

Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence Limited Edition
The Essentials Collection Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid 3 HD from the Limited Edition PS3 HD set.

I can't stop owning this game!

PS4/XB1 collection
coming soon

Only just finished the game this year, but holy christ was it a great ride. One of the few endings that legitimately lived up to the hype.

The last 90 or so minutes of the game is probably my favorite stretch of game throughout the entire MGS series.

Aces&Eights

Wow, 10 years? Watching all the clips in the thread is making the wait for TPP that much harder. Kojima can go off on tangents and his style is not for all but goddamn the man can craft a game that just gives you so much feels, man. His attention to detail is unrivaled and if P.T. is anything to go buy, we can probably expect his Silent Hill game to be out of this world.

Furyous

I had to stop playing because my SDTV couldn't project the crocodile locations clear enough. My TV sucked and I was not about to buy a new one. Too bad it's not available for the 4 yet.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
One of the few prequels in fiction that I actually think was handled appropriately.

The cast of characters are just so fun and charismatic too. Even Bee Man. Fuckin LEGENDS, all of 'em.

Facundo_Lopez

Neo Member
I really want a Remake. I want anyone who didn't enjoy it then, to enjoy it now in 1080p 60fps glory.

I just want a remake for myself. F*** the rest of those idiots who didn't play this masterpiece. Best game ever IMO.

Sajjaja

I really want a Remake. I want anyone who didn't enjoy it then, to enjoy it now in 1080p 60fps glory.

I just want a remake for myself. F*** the rest of those idiots who didn't play this masterpiece. Best game ever IMO.

There's an HD edition that 720p but 60fps.

Definitely one of my top five GOAT for me as well. So much to love and it holds up so well under repeated play throughs... I actually have purchased new and currently own SEVEN retail versions of this game! (Three on PS2, two on PS3, 3DS and Vita.) And I don't regret buying any of them!!

I don't think many games do endings well. Most are poor, a few are solid, almost none are actually great. Not only is the ending of MGS3 great, but its flat out masterful.

You can not have played any Metal Gear games and still get a serious punch out of the ending.
The sheer MAJESTY of the ending blew me away and still does. It's so perfect. It's long, it's satisfying, it's emotional, it's conclusive, it's action-packed, it's quiet and contemplative, it's exciting and it is perfect.

I don't know why we ever needed to see MORE Big Boss after this game, but whatever.
While the story is good, I wouldn't even consider it as cohesive or well-conveyed as it could have been. The ending quality really seems due to incredible scenario design. The layout for the final segments to the game is long but never, ever, dragging.

Great story, terrible codec and bosses, and awesomely different gameplay.

It was one of Kojima's biggest missteps shoehorning it's plot into MGS4.

Should have been a one-off type story.

Dalek

Greatest game ever with the greatest ending ever. I remember when the game was first announced I was bummed out that it was a prequel and not a sequel to part 2, but this is far and away my favorite ever.

I've got a laundry list of flaws and design problems I could run down but this game has the intangibles to cancel them out, it's a masterpiece. So many memorable scenes and characters and unique gameplay touches.

I don't think many games do endings well. Most are poor, a few are solid, almost none are actually great. Not only is the ending of MGS3 great, but its flat out masterful.

You can not have played any Metal Gear games and still get a serious punch out of the ending.

I think the ending plays a major role in why MGS3 is loved so much. A lot of developers making story oriented game seemingly forget how much the ending plays into the final impression that players have of the game. You can make a game that's amazing throughout, but if that end is bad, then that's going to stick out like a sore thumb.

That ending also makes me sad that we didn't get Kojima's original ending for MGS4. :(

Top Bottom