• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3 turns 10 today. Time paradox!

HeelPower

The Boss fanart.
the_boss_mgs3_fan_art_shinkawa_style_attemt__by_visualinfinity-d645w4k.jpg
What an amazing character!

On the one hand I want a game starring her ,but I am aware her perfection in MGS3 probably won't topped.

What was the original ending?

Snake and Otacon were going to be executed for war crimes. That's why they chose "Here's to You" as the ending theme. That song was written for two people that were wrongfully executed. It was changed because the rest of KojiPro thought it was too depressing.

jbueno

I experienced the game back in a pre MGS4 release playrun (as well as MGS1, MGS2) back in 2008 for the first time since I didn´t have a PS2 until 2005. It became one of my favorite games ever. Still need my PS3 and PSV versions to have at least one version on every platform its available for.

Going to mess around in the PS2 version tonight.

PrklJDN.jpg

Best MGS and one of the best games ever, period.

Can't believe it's been 10 years. I clearly remember playing it back in the day. Good times.

I was an RA in the non-air conditioned dorm my second year at college when this game came out. The lobby was the only part of the building that had air conditioning, so people would hang out there a lot, hook up their game systems and play, whatever.

One of my greatest gaming memories is playing MGS3 in the lobby throughout the week while I was on call (had to stay in the building and available when not in class in case someone locked themselves out of their room or whatever), finally beating it that weekend with a small crowd watching for the last few hours, people whooping as I finally beat
The Boss
, and everyone's faces at that ending.....

Don't make 'em like that anymore, that's for sure.

Formless

I remember downloading the first trailer for this in terrible quality overnight with dialup. I watched that trailer dozens of times.

Blablurn

Me and a friend ran to the local electronic store during a 20 minute school break to get it. What a time to be alive.

Great game. Not my favorit but great nontheless.

Godan

Man I remember finishing this game for the first time at 3AM when I had school the next day at 9AM.

Was so worth staying up for it.

I didn't play this right when it came out. I had a lot on my plate grad school-wise so I put it on the back burner. To be honest, I hadn't followed it that closely since I wasn't really thrilled with MGS2 so I told myself "meh, I'll wait a little while to play this one." Plus I was still exhausting GTA:SA and Metroid Prime 2.

I remember perusing the video game section of Best Buy post-Christmas, and saw that it was out. Although I was soured on MGS at that point, I had finished the GTA and MP2, plus the GAF/internet reactions and a 50 dollar gift card prompted me to buy it.

I had (begrudgingly) agreed for plans to go out on New Year's Eve with a few of my friends to some crowded bar; one of those pay-a-shitload-to-spend-the-night-with-people-you-don't-know-or-care-to-know New Years Eve celebrations. The morning of NYE was also my first full day off from my part-time job and I decided to pop MGS3 in the late morning or so. I remember my cynical attitude and naively thinking to myself "oh this won't be nearly as good as the original, and will likely fuck up the story even further than MGS2." The splash screen comes up, and I'm waiting for some sort of intro video/trailer to the game... but alas, it doesn't come. Already preparing for disappointment, I start my playthrough of the Virtuous mission.

The Virtuous mission took me about 1 1/2 - 2 hours, and I was starting to really get into the gameplay and story. Then the Virtuous mission ends and there's the cut to black... then the credit sequence for Snake Eater with the Cynthia Harrell vocal theme begins. At this point, I was floored by the realization that I had played what was the equivalent of the opening 10 minutes of a Bond movie and I remember audibly saying "holy shit," alone in my apartment.

The rest of that New Year's Eve was devoted to fully playing through that game, and exploring every single nook and cranny. I remember calling my friend and telling her some half-hearted "sorry, not making it to the bar, have fun" lame excuse, but there was more MGS3 to play. I finished the game shortly before midnight, and I just sat there trying to absorb the impact of the ending, and slowly realized I had played one of the best games of my life.

I've revisited the game a few times and I still love it, but I don't know if I'll ever have as perfect a moment of game playing as I did that New Year's Eve.

kasatka

Neo Member
That ending will never be topped. I still get goosebumps when I see it. The music, the editing, Eva's delivery, it was all just perfect.

PSOreo

Legendary. Probably my all time favourite. This game reinforced my belief that video games could tell just as compelling a story as films and books. It is so good I have bought it three other times; the Subsistence Version (PS2), HD Collection (PS3) and Legacy Collection (PS3) and would happily buy a PS4 re-release. It is a self contained story which works to establish the motives of the legendary Big Boss and the true sacrifice The Boss made. It is Hideo Kojima’s masterpiece in my eyes and solidified my love for gaming and the Metal Gear series itself.

entremet

I enjoyed the game, but the pacing at the start is glacial sadly.

I've only played the original version. I couldn't do the later versions, even with the better camera due to the poor pacing at the start.

NYR94

My favorite game of all time. If MGS V can even approach the greatness of Snake Eater I'll be thrilled. One of the few games I've played where the actual game exceeded my hyped up expectations for it.

Fezan

One of the best game of all time with perfect story and pacing. Loved every moment of it. And that ending :(

This game Shadow of colossus , RE4 and God of War defined last gen gaming for me

Storm360

This is my all time favourite game, I play it a few times a year even, one of the few games I'd say are perfect, the setting, the story, the gameplay etc are all amazing

Here in the UK the anniversary isn't until March.

During Xmas 10 years ago I was in LA and managed to try the masterpiece out. I couldn't find the backpack on the tree...

...3 months later I found the backpack. It remains my GOAT.

I played the Vita edition last Xmas, but I'm still yet to play the PS3 version.

Top Bottom