• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Leipzig GC 2006 - New pics!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Running with what Milhouse said about Snake progressively aging faster in the game, what if Snake has both the colorful suit and black suit in game? He starts off with the TGS05 suit and as he gets older within the game his suit gets blacker? Thus signifying him coming closer to death?

Don't know, just throwing that out there...

:p

Pug

TTP of course theres tons of great neat little touches like that and tyres exploding from the rim, very impressive, as for the draw distance snake, it just seems to me that everything is bloomed out.

I think the game technically looks good, at least, about as technically good as it needs to be. One of the things I like about Metal Gear is the look and the atmosphere. MGS4, so far, indeed looks like a next-gen Metal Gear game. I'm talking colors, designs, characters, etc. So far, in addition to Bioshock, this to me is the most unique looking next-gen title so far which is exactly what makes Kojima stand out from the rest. Everything else looks great, some games possibly better looking technically, but I don't think anything else matches its style.

PnCIa

SolidSnakex said:
It's the same basic suit, I just like that they taken alot of the shine off the E3 suit.
It´s the same basic suit in terms of the polycount, texture details and material shader. The only difference is the color, watch the 1 gb E3 trailer and you´ll see that it´s still as shiny as it was before :)
The lightning situation in that pic is just different. Konami also released those wallpapers, one of them shows Snake in the TGS suit with Grandpa Snake´s head model, that somewhat confirms that we´ll see the grey suit again.

BlueTsunami said:
Running with what Milhouse said about Snake progressively aging faster in the game, what if Snake has both the colorful suit and black suit in game? He starts off with the TGS05 suit and as he gets older within the game his suit gets blacker? Thus signifying him coming closer to death?

Don't know, just throwing that out there...

:p
isn't it "octa-camo" or something? When he touched the watermelon, the suit changed. Maybe if he's in a dark room, the suit darkens too.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Guy LeDouche said:
isn't it "octa-camo" or something? When he touched the watermelon, the suit changed. Maybe if he's in a dark room, the suit darkens too.

Thats true too, that would actually rock, if the suit color changes based on lighting...

jacktion

Banned
These graphics look great. But there are some aspects that are surprisingly low quality for such a powerful system. Also, it is not so much that we are all graphics whores but that Sony is asking for extra criticism with its boasting of how advanced the PS3 will be. If they are going to talk the talk then they have to walk the walk.
I would say that this looks the same as the 360. And some things look worse. The two systems seem to be pretty similar despite Sony saying they aren't.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Doom_Bringer said:
The fact of the matter is that they haven't shown anything that suggests the game has a good draw distance... they have shown cornered off areas so far

And that means the game will have a poor draw distance? Heck even MGS3 had some serious long distance senarios (ie: when looking out on the base from the Krasnogorje Mountain Top).

Remeber this frog?
frog24xp3.jpg

I'm sure your vital long draw distance needs will be fulfilled in MGS4.

The fight with The End is pretty impressive from a technical standpoint.

the first time I beat him was after a crazy 40 minute confrontation, I beat him because both mine and his health were low, he had one hit left, and I spotted him by a sunlight glare on his rifle, and I took a lucky shot and killed him... a personal greatest moment in a videogame ever

jacktion said:
These graphics look great. But there are some aspects that are surprisingly low quality for such a powerful system. Also, it is not so much that we are all graphics whores but that Sony is asking for extra criticism with its boasting of how advanced the PS3 will be. If they are going to talk the talk then they have to walk the walk.
I would say that this looks the same as the 360. And some things look worse. The two systems seem to be pretty similar despite Sony saying they aren't.

God I hate this shit! "Could be done on 360" :lol Very honestly I haven't seen a single 360 games that does physics like Motorstorm (lets forget about MGS4 because its only a cut scene lol). These fanboys don't know the differences between OpenGL and DirectX, they can't understand the differences in the system architecture or the CPU's and the go around saying it can be done on 360 in all PS3 threads.

Fact: PS3 is better at physics! Live it, breath it! And stop making pointless fanboy'ic assumptions

re: draw distance

Doom Bringer doesn't seem to realize that game development is a "work-in-progress" process. The game doesn't just magically appear 100% and then the dev team spends a year+ releasing screenshots of the finished product.

Seriously, stop thread-shitting.

teiresias

Doom_Bringer said:
These fanboys don't know the differences between OpenGL and DirectX, they can't understand the differences in the system architecture or the CPU's and the go around saying it can be done on 360 in all PS3 threads.

Yeah, but I bet they know what a slot-loading disc player is.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Doom how can the game have long draw distance in an urban city with buildings 30 feet from each other?

:?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
brandonh83 said:
Watching the new clip of the Gekkos raising hell just makes Raiden taking on three by himself even more impressive.

Yeah. Someone should cut&paste the Raiden part of the E32006 trailer right after the end of this new trailer just to get a better feeling of that.

EDIT: But we need a direct feed version on this one first. I hate those Sonic rings sound fx in the background noise.

Ajax

Banned
jacktion said:

I can smell your fear. I can even taste it.

Ajax

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20060509080225320.jpg

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20050916043110848.jpg

It's the same basic suit, I just like that they taken alot of the shine off the E3 suit.

Just realized he looks way better with the grey one. Anyway imo you'll be able to change his suit's color whenever you like just like MGS3.

Insertia

Just saw the 8 minute version. :O

This game is truly next-gen.

Whoever said Raiden taking down the mini-metal gears by himself is represenative of how powerful he is, is correct.

Guy LeDouche said:

"Octo-Camo"... as in octopus. All cephalopods have special skin cells that can change their pigmentation, opacity, specular etc. on the fly. They also have a unique muscle system that allows them to change the very surface texture of their skin (kinda like real-time bump mapping :)). That seems to be the principal the MGS4 suit is based on. Form a random pattern to blend in, as well as adapt its texture to match the nearest surrounding area. Pretty cool.

An octopus in action... (its been debated if this footage is fake or not, but ya get the idea :D )
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4139449748454943279&q=octopus

Not sure if its been posted yet but the low-res direct feed popped up... http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WN2G15E6 . Not HD but a much clearer vid at least. Actually what stands out is the sound, best of any of the trailers yet IMO. Really crisp with a lot of detail you couldn't pick up from the cam footage. Bet the 5.1 (7.1?) is going to be incredible.

Apologies for the bump if its a repost, searchy didn't spot anything for me.

edit- fixed link

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Not sure if its been posted yet but the low-res direct feed popped up... http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WN2G15E6 . Not HD but a much clearer vid at least. Actually what stands out is the sound, best of any of the trailers yet IMO. Really crisp with a lot of detail you couldn't pick up from the cam footage. Bet the 5.1 (7.1?) is going to be incredible.

Apologies for the bump if its a repost, searchy didn't spot anything for me.

edit- fixed link

DIRECT FEED!!! Looks and sounds awesome. The guns sound so great

bumpkin

You know, these screens share something in common with the new Genji 2 shots; blurred to ****. What is up with that?

DSN2K

love how those troops just leave all of the sudden, its like "Gekko's inbound lets get the **** out of here!" :lol :lol

I wonder just how much control they have over them. :)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i prefer tgs snake to e3 snake. e3 snake's moustache is technically unconvincing and creepy looking, and the lighter-colored suit is better at showing off the model detail. i hope the old model's reappearance in this trailer means they've brought it back. but it probably means no such thing.

Doom_Bringer said:
God I hate this shit! "Could be done on 360" :lol Very honestly I haven't seen a single 360 games that does physics like Motorstorm (lets forget about MGS4 because its only a cut scene lol). These fanboys don't know the differences between OpenGL and DirectX, they can't understand the differences in the system architecture or the CPU's and the go around saying it can be done on 360 in all PS3 threads.

Fact: PS3 is better at physics! Live it, breath it! And stop making pointless fanboy'ic assumptions
:lol :lol :lol

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
"Octo-Camo"... as in octopus. All cephalopods have special skin cells that can change their pigmentation, opacity, specular etc. on the fly. They also have a unique muscle system that allows them to change the very surface texture of their skin (kinda like real-time bump mapping :)). That seems to be the principal the MGS4 suit is based on. Form a random pattern to blend in, as well as adapt its texture to match the nearest surrounding area. Pretty cool.

An octopus in action... (its been debated if this footage is fake or not, but ya get the idea :D )
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4139449748454943279&q=octopus
Holy shit that is B.A.D.A.S.S.

Usually when I see most animals and their so called "camouflage" abilities I can spot them a mile away... I didn't even know the Octapus was in the shot until it changed. Crazy.

Top Bottom