• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Leipzig GC 2006 - New pics!

Apenheul

Ajax said:

I don't think this discussion with you will lead to anything. I don't see how you got so offensed over one post I made, which wasn't even that radical to begin with. Here's a nice spoiler for you: when it comes to graphics programming I guess I'm a professional. It's my job to code renderers, to write HLSL shaders and to optimize for performance. Having done so for years I have an eye for technology, and I have fairly good expectations in what direction graphics programming is heading. You're not being specific about what exactly looks so ground-breaking. The things you mention now have little relevance with my initial post.

Please take it easy, I'm not trying to convince you of what I believe, I'm just stating my honest opinion. Let's leave it at this.

Nozi

Banned
Nvidia said:
Just wow Nozi, just WOW:lol You are in every Sony PS3 topic:)

No, I'm not.

Are you here to talk about video games or just harass posters? if its the former let's discuss this game, if it's the latter, PM me and we'll talk about it.

Elios83

Nozi said:
Simply not true. In-game animation is nowhere near the level of scripted, motion captured cutscenes, in any game.

Need I remind you that nothing is being calculated in a scripted cutscene. None of the game's overheads like collision, physics, gameplay, AI or anything else that drains the CPU is being used. Of course you can do much more in such an environment.

That's not correct,the cut scene is scripted in the sense that what happens is decided by the developer,but all the animations aren't scripted,all the collisions,explosions are calculated in real time and a LOT of the CPU is used because the phisics simulation is in full swing.

Nozi

Banned
Elios83 said:
a LOT of the CPU is used because the phisics simulation is in full swing.

Excuse me if I don't put much credence in your technical analysis. Anyway, I was talking about character animation, the clue was in the term motion capture.

Ajax

Banned
ELS-01X said:
A couple? Most textures don't seem very detailed actually. And, you can't accuse GoW of not having such interaction when we haven't seen any gameplay whatsoever of MGS4.

I've and he's not wrong. The animation during gameplay is nowhere near as good as the cutscenes's.

Since I don't want to completely derail the thread here with pics of bad textures of GoW (as for your suggestion that most textures in the game are not detailed I won't even reply to this crap) I'll reply to the only part that I can (bolded): Since the cutscenes are realtime it means that the game's engine can do it. So it doesn't really matter if it's cut-scene or not.

Elios83

Nozi said:
Excuse me if I don't put much credence in your technical analysis. Anyway, I was talking about character animation, the clue was in the term motion capture.

Excuse me if I don't believe you really know what you're talking about but are just trying to find exotic ways to fool youself into thinking the game won't look as amazing as your eyes tell to you :) :D

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Nozi said:

You don't know what you are talking about.

ELS-01X

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
The TGS 2005 trailer was 60 FPS
So? The E3 one ran at 30 at best. Until there's confirmation, it shouldn't be assumed it jumped to perfect 60 fps just yet.

Kojima said with MGS4 they will place more emphasis on animation, he acknowledges that animation is important in next gen games. I mean the new Metal Gears they will animate the same way during gameplay...what makes you think the Metal gears will animate differently or if the physics based explosions or rag doll will be any different?
Kojima says a lot of things. The ragdoll will probably act the same, but unless there's some sort of "euphoria on steroids" type of animation system in place during gameplay, I don't see them matching the motion capture level.

Since I don't want to completely derail the thread here with pics of bad textures of GoW (as for your suggestion that most textures in the game are not detailed I won't even reply to this crap) I'll reply to the only part that I can (bolded): Since the cutscenes are realtime it means that the game's engine can do it. So it doesn't really matter if it's cut-scene or not.
And the backpedalling starts
yawn.gif

ELS-01X said:
Kojima says a lot of things. The ragdoll will probably act the same, but unless there's some sort of "euphoria on steroids" type of animation system in place during gameplay, I don't see them matching the motion capture level.

Kojima might say a lot of thing but he doesn't lie. He was pretty vocal about PS2's short commings very early in its life...

So where can I find this legendary two legged metal gear? I want to motion capture it badly...the only thing mocapped in the trailer is the soliders. -_-

Faizal

Banned
2) MGS4 uses the same in-game graphics engine for cutscenes and gameplay - so although they are cutscenes, it's still demonstrating the actual tech.,

Sort of a tangent...but Dead Rising does the same thing. The cutscenes in DR look amazing, but despite that, no one seems to give any credit to Dead Rising's graphics capabilities. Most comments I've heard is that it has "mediocre" graphics. :(

I just wonder why there's such a double standard when it comes to appreciating cutscenes in games.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Faizal said:
Sort of a tangent...but Dead Rising does the same thing. The cutscenes in DR look amazing, but despite that, no one seems to give any credit to Dead Rising's graphics capabilities. Most comments I've heard is that it has "mediocre" graphics. :(

I just wonder why there's such a double standard when it comes to appreciating cutscenes in games.

Because people are crazy.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Faizal said:

I think it looks amazing, actually.

It's one of the best looking games on 360.

The biggest problem I have with DR is the fact that there are load times between EVERYTHING you do. :\

Oh, and as for the double standard, you have to understand what we are talking about here. The cutscenes in MGS games are traditionally among the very best the industry has to offer. Dead Rising doesn't even begin to approach the same level of quality in terms of actual direction and execution. It's cutscenes LOOK nice enough, but they aren't Kojima quality by any means.

ELS-01X

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
Kojima might say a lot of thing but he doesn't lie. He was pretty vocal about PS2's short commings very early in its life...
Just because he's gonna focus more on the ingame animation doesn't mean he's gonna achieve motion capture levels, duh.

So where can I find this legendary two legged metal gear? I want to motion capture it badly...the only thing mocapped in the trailer is the soliders. -_-
reyes.gif

One is made by Kojima and the other is not
puf5.gif

Dude what the hell is wrong with you?? There are things in the trailer that are animated. The metal gears were animated, the trucks were animated, the choppers were also animated. The animation looks ****ing awesome!

But you also said Double agent looks great so I think I know where you are going with this.

Insertia

I'm almost positive the extra three minutes are represenative of what in game action will look like in action. It didn't have the usual suave editing that's generally featured in MGS trailers. Looked like a scripted gameplay and it looked amazing, on par with the cutscenes.

Seeing the metal gear kick the shit out of the truck while the particle effects kicked up was amazing. When the foxhound guys retreat and cover by tapping each other on the shoulder...holy shit.

ELS-01X

Banned
Dude what the hell is wrong with you?? There are things in the trailer that are animated. The metal gears were animated, the trucks were animated, the choppers were also animated. The animation looks ****ing awesome!
And all of that was scripted (except the ragdoll obviously). Until TGS we have no idea how well will it translate to an ingame environment.

But you also said Double agent looks great so I think I know where you are going with this.
MGS4 looks awesome, there's no doubt on that. The difference between this and SCDA is that no one is proclaiming SC as the pinnacle of real time graphics (because it's not, and neither is MGS4).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
And all of that was scripted (except the ragdoll obviously). Until TGS we have no idea how well will it translate to an ingame environment.
Basically, we are waiting to see how good it is. Perhaps you disagree, but I loved the animation in MGS2 and 3. MGS4 will, at very minimum, be slightly superior to those games but it is just as possible that it will blow them away. The possibility of MGS4 featuring poor in game animation just doesn't exist.

Insertia

ELS-01X said:

MGS4 looks awesome, there's no doubt on that. The difference between this and SCDA is that no one is proclaiming SC as the pinnacle of real time graphics (because it's not, and neither is MGS4).

What do you mean 'scripted'? The camera angle was scripted for sure, but everything going on is most definitely representative of in-game gameplay, including the animation.

This was done in both the MGS2 and MGS3 trailer.

ELS-01X

Banned
dark10x said:
Basically, we are waiting to see how good it is. Perhaps you disagree, but I loved the animation in MGS2 and 3. MGS4 will, at very minimum, be slightly superior to those games but it is just as possible that it will blow them away. The possibility of MGS4 featuring poor in game animation just doesn't exist.
No one has said that
reyes.gif
. I'm just saying that matching motion capture level of animation in game is gonna be really hard, and probably unlikely. That doesn't mean it's gonna be bad
reyes.gif

gofreak said:
I'd hazard a suggestion that these capturing might be a little off? They seem like noisy captures, and I don't mean the aliasing. I don't know if it's the capturing or something else, but it's not evident in what I've seen of the trailer itself (or at least the video we have of it).

As a Sony intern, of course you would hazard that suggestion.

jett

D-Member
Insertia said:
I'm almost positive the extra three minutes are represenative of what in game action will look like in action. It didn't have the usual suave editing that's generally featured in MGS trailers. Looked like a scripted gameplay and it looked amazing, on par with the cutscenes.

On the contrary, I thought this trailer, like the one in TGS, has some of the best direction in the series. Murata was probably behind them, they both were very un-Kojima-ish. And that was all scripted, you're crazy if you think it's in-game gameplay from a cinematic perspective.

The in-game animation of both MGS2 and MGS3 is very very robotic and not impressive in the least. The only reason #2 appears to animate nicely is because of the framerate. I'll be reaaaaaally disappointed if MGS4 doesn't outright rape the shit out of both of them animation-wise.

Razoric

Banned
why is the screenshot thread bigger than the video thread? jesus watch the ****ing video, it makes these screens pointless

Vagrant

jett said:
The in-game animation of both MGS2 and MGS3 is very very robotic and not impressive in the least. The only reason #2 appears to animate nicely is because of the framerate. I'll be reaaaaaally disappointed if MGS4 doesn't outright rape the shit out of both of them animation-wise.

I'll give you MGS3, but MGS2 had amazing animation for when it was first shown. Part of the reason people were so floored by the original MGS2 trailer was the in-game animation (Snake reloading, running, hopping over the railing, and rolling) that was really ahead of other action games at the time.

Vagrant said:
I'll give you MGS3, but MGS2 had amazing animation for when it was first shown. Part of the reason people were so floored from the original MGS2 trailer was the animation (Snake reloading, running, hopping over the railing, and rolling) that was really smooth at the time.

Don't forget the animations of the sentry soldiers doing things like checking out an area when at yellow/red alert when you're hiding and such. Pulling a gun on them, their reactions, etc. All that stuff just blew me away back in 2000/1.

Vagrant

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Don't forget the animations of the sentry soldiers like things like checking out an area when at yellow/red alert when you're hiding and such. All that stuff just blew me away back in 2000/1.

Yeah when the started sweeping that area in engine room was really good, plus their hit reactiong were good too, like falling over nearby rails, dropping to their knee after being shot in the leg, among other things.

jett

D-Member
Vagrant said:
I'll give you MGS3, but MGS2 had amazing animation for when it was first shown. Part of the reason people were so floored by the original MGS2 trailer was the in-game animation (Snake reloading, running, hopping over the railing, and rolling) that was really ahead of other action games at the time.

Animation has come a long way since 2000... :p but like I said, the 60fps framerate really helps MGS2.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Don't forget the animations of the sentry soldiers doing things like checking out an area when at yellow/red alert when you're hiding and such. Pulling a gun on them, their reactions, etc. All that stuff just blew me away back in 2000/1.

Same here. Then came Substance with Euro-Extreme, and it floored me again.

hey jett I agree that the animation in MGS2 and MGS3 sucks but ZOE2 had some great animation. The team is capable of making some killer animations.

jett

D-Member
Doom_Bringer said:
hey jett I agree that the animation in MGS2 and MGS3 sucks but ZOE2 had some great animation. The team is capable of making some killer animations.

Fo sho, ZOE2 animates awesomely.

And it's not that I think MGS2/3 have crappy animation(they're about average nowadays, mgs2 was impressive for its time), but I expect a GREAT deal better for a next-gen game, not just smoother animation, but a ****ton more animation routines.

Doom_Bringer said:

That comparision for games doesn't even fit that well, don't really see people move around, but giant robotic machines instead.

jett said:

And it's not that I think MGS2/3 have crappy animation(they're about average nowadays, mgs2 was impressive for its time), but I expect a GREAT deal better for a next-gen game, not just smoother animation, but a ****ton more animation routines.

yeah! But there are some developers who are generally better at it though! Like; Naughty Dog and Team Ico. MGS4 so far displays killer animations

Insertia

jett said:
On the contrary, I thought this trailer, like the one in TGS, has some of the best direction in the series. Murata was probably behind them, they both were very un-Kojima-ish. And that was all scripted, you're crazy if you think it's in-game gameplay from a cinematic perspective.

*watches trailer for #89876545 time*

Call me crazy cause I do. Much like in the first E3 MGS2 trailer when the soldiers where looking for Snake who was hidden in the locker or the MGS3 trailer when Snake is propped on
a hill sniping soldiers inside the cabin(?). It was all gameplay with a scripted camera.

Why stop now with MGS4?

Anyway it looked GREAT, but raw and live like gameplay. I enjoyed the direction, but it's not typical MGS direction.

Vagrant

jett said:

Well yeah same here, I'd be very dissapointed it was only marginally improved. It would really hold the game back, much like it does for SC:DA. I'm personally hoping for a huge leap almost the way animation improved from MGS to MGS2 (of course there isn't much chance of that). I'd like to see the segaway from one animation to another improved and smoothed out (one of the big things that holds the animation in MGS back IMO). Lots of animation routines even when you might not be doing anything, like having Snake's head and mouth moving even if you're just hugging a wall, like if was out of breath if he was just running. Not to mention the CQC animations really need to be beefed up and given more variety, rather then doing the same animation everytime you knock someone out

Insertia said:

Call me crazy cause I do. Much like in the first E3 MGS2 trailer when the soldiers where looking for Snake who was hidden in the locker or the MGS3 trailer when Snake is propped on
a hill sniping soldiers inside the cabin(?). It was all gameplay with a scripted camera.

Why stop now with MGS4?

Sorry, but there is no way that was gameplay.

Insertia said:

Why stop now with MGS4?

Anyway it looked GREAT, but raw and live like gameplay. I enjoyed the direction, but it's not typical MGS direction.

Watch it one last time, and you might notice that Snake doesn't appear throughout the whole thing! How can it be representative of gameplay if the main character doesn't even feature?

Watch the MGS:pO trailer for an example of a trailer made from in-game footage.

Graphics Horse said:
Watch it one last time, and you might notice that Snake doesn't appear throughout the whole thing! How can it be representative of gameplay if the main character doesn't even feature?

I'm not saying it is, but this MGS isn't Snake vs. enemies, its a complete war. So Snake doesn't need to be around for fighting to be going on.

shpankey

not an idiot
looks pretty good to me. though this is the kind of game that looks soooo much better in person, in motion. mgs games always animate so well and so smoothly. though something about the lighting comes off weird to me, maybe it's all the yellowish'ness. still, i like what i see.

Hunter D

The game looks ****jng awesome. It has no AA, but 99% of the games don't have it either. This and heavenly sword are the only reasons to own a PS3.

Top Bottom