• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Leipzig GC 2006 - New pics!

Zenith

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Well yes and no. Kojima already said that they are pissing aka marking their territory.

well actually no he didn't, not outright. in fact he hinted that the pissing could be used as a way to track the Gekkous.

lol why would anyone wanna track those things?? I'd run away! But honestly it will be hard to take them down especially since they work in a unit.

Mononofu

Doom_Bringer said:
style choice for one area. The game covers many different battlefields and I guess its safe to assume that all will have a different filter.

Why didn't I think of that? I think we all assumed the whole game would have a piss yellow tint.

kaching said:
Some of you have got the crudest notion of graphic detail, that's being left behind by what next gen's systems can do. There's a truck in the first pic being blown up where not only is the tire being blown from the truck but the hub is separating from the tire because the tire itself is shredding. Yet some of you would rather just obsess over whether the textures have been downgraded.

QFT x 2.

I was praying this kind of blindness and retardation would disapear with next gen, but I guess not.

Vagrant said:
I wouldn't be surprised if the other areas in the game outside the middle east had different tints to give each a distinct feel.

I'd say its a sure fire thing. MGS always using dominant colors

MGS
solid4.jpg

MGS2
mgs2_12.jpg

MGS3
metalgearsolid3snakeeater20040511114404150gb6.jpg

Some don't like it but its become part of the series style.

Nozi

Banned
Forceatowulf said:
:lol @ people yelling downgrade by only looking at shitty flagrantly low res crappy pictures. Beautiful.

Correct me I'm wrong but weren't the shots you speak of officially released by Konami?

SolidSnakex said:

But MGS4 does cover many battlefields right? So far the theam has visited a grassy area somewhere in Asia, Lebanon, and South Africa right?

Vagrant

SolidSnakex said:
I'd say its a sure fire thing. MGS always using dominant colors
(pictures)

Yeah it wouldn't the first time they changed colors mid-game either, there was a big color change when you left the Tanker and arrived at the Big Shell in MGS2.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Gantz said:
While you guys are splooging over FMVs. When will get some in game gameplay shots or videos?
This is one series where splooging over the realtime cutscenes is only natural. If you don't understand that, you aren't a fan of the series. Don't take that to mean that the game is only about cutscenes either...

Doom_Bringer said:
But MGS4 does cover many battlefields right? So far the theam has visited a grassy area somewhere in Asia, Lebanon, and South Africa right?

Well we don't really know the specific locations they've gone to as they never said them. But yah somewhere in the Middle East and they did some of their training in mountains in Japan. Before they took a break from the podcast Ken and Ryan said they'd be going to a beautiful place in Europe for their next location. That's all they'd hint at. Hopefully some place with snow. :p

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Nozi said:
Correct me I'm wrong but weren't the shots you speak of officially released by Konami?

And so was the video.:lol :lol :lol

Didn't you look at it? Oh I'm sorry the screenshots represent the game more than the video amirite? :lol

PnCIa

Having an overall colorstyle is good for the games mood, but they added this blury yellow filter that hides many details. The TGS trailer also had a yellow color filter which wasn´t so intense though and the image was overall more sharp. I guess there is no downgrade, the postprocessing effects just hide much :(
Make the game look like it did@TGS and I´m fine.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Nozi said:
Even if they were that doesn't mean they're not rushed or obviously bad pics. It seems people were waiting for the smallest chance they could possibly get to say something bad about this game.

Apenheul

Ajax said:
It isn't technically impressive? So when you see all these soldiers with all this detail in their faces (some have them hidden others not and even they have detailed eyes) and gear (yeah there are *a few* bad textures there too -cry me a river) running, shooting, falling down and when the Metal Gears come too and join the fight with all that interaction and chaos going on in every detail, you don't consider it technically impessive? What exactly do you consider technically impressive? Please enlighten us.

Yes, a very impressive job by the animators And you act like this is the only game with detailed faces, the one face I saw looked good but it was hard to see how it compaired to (for instance) Crysis, Unreal 2007 or Gears of War. I don't know how this trailer was made, it could be one big animation rendered in realtime, or maybe it's cleverly scripted. What I consider technically impressive (and I'm constantly talking about graphics programming here) are the stuff we've seen in ATI RenderMonkey or NVidia FX Composer in realtime in a videogame or realtime constructive solid geometry for example.

SolidSnakex said:
Well we don't really know the specific locations they've gone to as they never said them. But yah somewhere in the Middle East and they did some of their training in mountains in Japan. Before they took a break from the podcast Ken and Ryan said they'd be going to a beautiful place in Europe for their next location. That's all they'd hint at. Hopefully some place with snow. :p

damn right man! I want a grassy area really bad! The camo sniper pic they posted got me really excited

sniper.jpg

Can't wait to hunt these suckers

*I hope they make it :(

Nozi

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
And so was the video.:lol :lol :lol

Didn't you look at it? Oh I'm sorry the screenshots represent the game more than the video amirite? :lol

At this point, yes, they do. The videos are scripted cutscenes - the final game will not have the fluid captured acting, the camera shake, artistic camera angles and close ups.. it may not have the level of interaction or physics in real-time, either. All we can be sure of, in terms of the actual game, are the models and textures.

PnCIa said:
Having an overall colorstyle is good for the games mood, but they added this blury yellow filter that hides many details. The TGS trailer also had a yellow color filter which wasn´t so intense though and the image was overall more sharp. I guess there is no downgrade, the postprocessing effects just hide much :(

I doubt it will because Kojima said he doesn't want it to look that clean. If you go back and look at the TGS trailer its rather clean looking compared to this trailer and the E3 trailer which have had alot of filters applied to them. Here's what he said specifically.

E3 Attendee: This question is for Mr. Kojima. Your team is consistently able to achieve a ridiculously high level of graphic quality in your games. I was just wondering how you are able to do that, that you are able or willing to share with the panel; the audience sorry!?

Hideo: Well we’re not aiming to you know on the graphics side of things. What we’re trying to represent in any of our works is the importance of the likeness, or the air, or the atmosphere so to say. So it’s not all pretty graphics. Sometimes we deliberately dirt them so to say and make them dirty. You know change the color or even change the texture of the finished, not just clean, crisp, bright graphics. That’s probably why it looks a little real.

So one example is that helicopter scene you saw actually we did you know we looked at the real helicopter, and the graphic team worked really really hard to even recreate the inside of the helicopter very detailed and is actually very detailed. What happened was that myself and the art director, Yoji Shinkawa, decided to kind of blur that out because we thought that the lighting in the fact of the darkness, the brightness, and the contrast is much more important. The actual team did the detail work so we’re a little bit disappointed actually.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
PnCIa said:

Yeah that blurry post-processing is bothering me too. I guess it's supposed to be sand/smoke floating in the air.

Edit : KOJIMA KEEPING IT REAL !!

Nvidia

Banned
Nozi said:
At this point, yes, they do. The videos are scripted cutscenes - the final game will not have the fluid captured acting, the camera shake, artistic camera angles and close ups.. it may not have the level of interaction or physics in real-time, either. All we can be sure of, in terms of the actual game, are the models and textures.

Kojima and PS3>>>you =/

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Nozi said:
the final game will not have the fluid captured acting

It may not be as fluid as the cut scenes but in game animation has reached the point where their almost similar.

Nozi said:
it may not have the level of interaction or physics in real-time

This isn't a prerendered cutscene your watching in the videos, everything your seeing in the video IS happening in real-time. The E3 video had slowdown BECAUSE of some of the physics that was in use.

Nozi said:
All we can be sure of, in terms of the actual game, are the models and textures.

A real lame attempt to validate the pictures (as in put more importance) instead of the video

Ajax

Banned
Apenheul said:
Yes, a very impressive job by the animators And you act like this is the only game with detailed faces, the one face I saw looked good but it was hard to see how it compaired to (for instance) Crysis, Unreal 2007 or Gears of War. I don't know how this trailer was made, it could be one big animation rendered in realtime, or maybe it's cleverly scripted. What I consider technically impressive (and I'm constantly talking about graphics programming here) are the stuff we've seen in ATI RenderMonkey or NVidia FX Composer in realtime in a videogame or realtime constructive solid geometry for example.

Unreal 2007 and GoW? Have you seen some of the textures in GoW? Since you're nitpicking MGS4 so much why haven't you done the same job for Gow? I wonder... Have you even seen more that 5-6 characters on screen on GoW? Have you seen the animation?

Are you kidding me? You're nitpicking MGS4 for a couple of bad textures when there many instances in GoW I've seen bad textures. On the glowing enemies, on many many backrounds etc etc and yet GoW doesn't seem to have the same interaction, effects, animation, and chaos going on screen at once. And since we're nitpicking don't let me start with the geometry of some enemies or the backrounds because I will never finish.

As for the animation if you had actually played a MGS game in your life you would know how wrong you are.

BigBoss

Its amazing that Nozi goes out of his way defend the graphics seen in shit like the Godfather and then troll the graphics in MGS4. Good job man.

BlueTsunami

BigBoss said:
Its amazing that Nozi goes out of his way defend the graphics seen in shit like the Godfather and then troll the graphics in MGS4. Good job man.

:lol:lol:lol

I totally forgot about that!

Godfather for the 360 more visually appealing to Nozi than MGS4 confirmed?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
BigBoss said:
Are you serious? He defended Godfather 360's visuals? Talk about a credibility killer.

jett

D-Member
:lol at Doom. Going from calling MGS4's graphics "pathetic" to becoming Kojima's own personal white knight in shining armor.

SolidSnakex said:

man that ied was sweet

jett said:
:lol at Doom. Going from calling MGS4's graphics "pathetic" to becoming Kojima's own personal white knight in shining armor.

No, I became Kojima's slave when I played Metal Gear Solid in 1998

And stop posting ****ing godfather pictures in the thread!!1

Pimpwerx

I love the ciccada sounds as the Gekkos approach. Man, this game is gonna rock hard. I assume this trailer is actually gonna make up the 15-20 minute intro to the game. I mean, we see them briefing Snake on the mission, and we see his insertion into the battlezone. Maybe the start is with Snake standing on that building with octocamo and a sidearm (I think he lost his rifle to one of the Gekkos). Does that sound outlandish? I'm currently watching the trailers back to back. :D PEACE.

ELS-01X

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
What downgrade? It looks upgraded. More shit on screen, 60 FPS, better physics! WTF are you talking about?
Where did you get the 60 fps figure? The best segments of the E3 trailer ran at 30 fps. This doesn't seem to be any different.

Ajax said:
It isn't technically impressive? So when you see all these soldiers with all this detail in their faces (some have them hidden others not and even they have detailed eyes) and gear (yeah there are *a few* bad textures there too -cry me a river) running, shooting, falling down and when the Metal Gears come too and join the fight with all that interaction and chaos going on in every detail, you don't consider it technically impessive? What exactly do you consider technically impressive? Please enlighten us.
You know, there's this thing called LOD...

Are you kidding me? You're nitpicking MGS4 for a couple of bad textures when there many instances in GoW I've seen bad textures. On the glowing enemies, on many many backrounds etc etc and yet GoW doesn't seem to have the same interaction, effects, animation, and chaos going on screen at once.
A couple? Most textures don't seem very detailed actually. And, you can't accuse GoW of not having such interaction when we haven't seen any gameplay whatsoever of MGS4.

As for the animation if you had actually played a MGS game in your life you would know how wrong you are.
I've and he's not wrong. The animation during gameplay is nowhere near as good as the cutscenes's.

Nozi

Banned
BigBoss said:

Once again as I feel like repeating myself today. I said the gf's graphics were passable for an open world game, and the characters were great. I stand by that statement but realise we are talking about GTA clones with that game, and linear, single load titles with this. It's two different ball parks and two different ranges of comparison. I also have not 'trolled' this game's graphics, i've repeatedly said the cutscene looks awesome, it's just fanboys like yourself hate any semblance of intelligent discussion regarding the real game, of which we have seen nothing.

ELS-01X said:
Where did you get the 60 fps figure? The best segments of the E3 trailer ran at 30 fps. This doesn't seem to be any different.

The TGS 2005 trailer was 60 FPS

I've and he's not wrong. The animation during gameplay is nowhere near as good as the cutscenes's.

Kojima said with MGS4 they will place more emphasis on animation, he acknowledges that animation is important in next gen games. I mean the new Metal Gears they will animate the same way during gameplay...what makes you think the Metal gears will animate differently or if the physics based explosions or rag doll will be any different?

Oh dear Kojima please show us the gameplay and shut up these fools!

Nozi

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
It may not be as fluid as the cut scenes but in game animation has reached the point where their almost similar.

Simply not true. In-game animation is nowhere near the level of scripted, motion captured cutscenes, in any game.

BlueTsunami said:
This isn't a prerendered cutscene your watching in the videos, everything your seeing in the video IS happening in real-time. The E3 video had slowdown BECAUSE of some of the physics that was in use.

Need I remind you that nothing is being calculated in a scripted cutscene. None of the game's overheads like collision, physics, gameplay, AI or anything else that drains the CPU is being used. Of course you can do much more in such an environment.

Nozi said:
Once again as I feel like repeating myself today. I said the gf's graphics were passable for an open world game, and the characters were great. I stand by that statement but realise we are talking about GTA clones with that game, and linear, single load titles with this. It's too different ball parks and too different ranges of comparison.

Do you work for EA? Cause that's the feeling I got when I read your posts in the Godfather thread. Saint Row 360 completely rapes and spits on that shit of a port.

Saint Row >> Crackdown >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Godfather 360

BlueTsunami

Nozi said:
Simply not true. In-game animation is nowhere near the level of scripted, motion captured cutscenes, in any game.

From the what i've seen of certain development software being offered to both 360 developers AND PS3 developers I definitely stand by my statment

Nozi said:
Need I remind you that nothing is being calculated in a scripted cutscene. None of the game's overheads like collision, physics, gameplay, AI or anything else that drains the CPU is being used. Of course you can do much more in such an environment.

In the case of the MGS series there is. The scene were the Gekko was crashing through the wall in the E3 video had slowdown due to the random nature in which the wall breaks.

Nozi said:

I doubt they are that scripted, I mean did you see that truck being blown off?? or how the metal gear kicked the truck?? Its all physics based because it will take way too much time if they started to animate all that. The part where two Metal gears went through the walls in the E3 trailer just proves this theory as the physics were being calculated in real time, the engine was un-optimized which led to slowdown.

Nozi

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
blah blah derailing nonsense
Saint Row >> Crackdown >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Godfather 360

Wait, hold up - someone's derailing a thread about MGS into a thread about The Godfather.

Kittonwy

Banned
lunlunqq said:
below are real pictures of streets in some middle eastern countries. why are they so ****ing monotone yellowish???!1!1!!1!!!!1! the only reasonable conclusion is that mother nature sux and dose not have enough power to render more colors...

6833185.jpg

See they should have made houses out of rainbow-colored bricks, that way people can freely bash a Kojima game for complete downgrade am total.
Indifferent2.gif

Nvidia

Banned
Nozi said:
Once again as I feel like repeating myself today. I said the gf's graphics were passable for an open world game, and the characters were great. I stand by that statement but realise we are talking about GTA clones with that game, and linear, single load titles with this. It's two different ball parks and two different ranges of comparison. I also have not 'trolled' this game's graphics, i've repeatedly said the cutscene looks awesome, it's just fanboys like yourself hate any semblance of intelligent discussion regarding the real game, of which we have seen nothing.

Just wow Nozi, just WOW:lol You are in every Sony PS3 topic:)

Looks good.

1) Sony isn't forcing developers to render 1080p native.

2) MGS4 uses the same in-game graphics engine for cutscenes and gameplay - so although they are cutscenes, it's still demonstrating the actual tech.,

Top Bottom