• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Leipzig GC 2006 - New pics!

X26

Banned
Just watched the trialer (holy shit it took forever to buffer), and DOWNGRADED MY ASS. Looks amazing, and while I can't really tell if the textures have taken a hit, everything else seemed greatly improved.

3rdman

Ajax said:
I like how you say it's just "good" and then you damage control like there's no tomorrow.

Would you feel more comfortable if I had said "looks great"???

In the end, like any trialer, this is not gameplay...it may be a "real-time" trialer but it just isn't "realtime" gameplay and therefore I will reserve my judgement. Go suck a lollipop, little boy.

...and yes, of course looks great...as if anybody could claim otherwise.

they have said multiple times that they will show gameplay at TGS and the game will be playable at E3. I told you guys not to expect any gameplay footage!! I bet even this video is from the e3 trailer (this part was cut off for some reason)

Ajax

Banned
3rdman said:
Would you feel more comfortable if I had said "looks great"???

In the end, like any trialer, this is not gameplay...it may be a "real-time" trialer but it just isn't "realtime" gameplay and therefore I will reserve my judgement. Go suck a lollipop, little boy.

...and yes, of course looks great...as if anybody could claim otherwise.

It's actually realtime, not "realtime". And lollipop? :lol WTF man?

3rdman

Ajax said:
It's actually realtime, not "realtime". And lollipop? :lol WTF man?

Man alive, what the hell...first you have an issue with the use of the word "good" and now you have an issue with the use of parantheses...you'd do well as President Bush's debate teacher.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Stinkles said:
I'll be honest, I'm a wee bit nervous about what kind of plot treatment Kojima will give the Middle East. It'll be mental, that's for sure.
In what way nervous?

Ive had a question about MGS4 but I didn start a thread about it because I didnt think it needs one. Has Liquid completely taken over Ocelots body? I would hate to see that happen because despite how much I liked liquid snake, Id hate to see Ocelot being taken away.

J-Rzez

Wow... that trailer had so much ownage in it... that soldier getting ran over multiple times after falling outta the truck... to the truck getting drop-kicked over (looked awesome)... to the soldiers getting stomped, knee-dropped, grabbed and smashed... then those things taking a victory dump all over them in the end... hehe...

That trailer, overall, looks spectacular... Sony owes Kojima a lot... of money, prostitutes, whatever... get him what he needs...

This and Resistance are really getting me HoTT for the PS3... oh sooo HoTT...

I just love how this game looks. Certainly, as someone said, it looks more "realistic." I remember a 1up Show episode when they're talking about Ghost Recon on 360, and they were talking about how the final game compared to the target videos. Some of the guys said the final game comes pretty close, but that it actually looks like a videogame instead of a polished cinematic. Uh... I think. Sorry, I actually play videogames instead of studying textures. I don't know a lot about the technical aspects. But to me it looks great and should look even better before release. It's still likely a good year away.

Mononofu

J-Rzez said:
Wow... that trailer had so much ownage in it... that soldier getting ran over multiple times after falling outta the truck... to the truck getting drop-kicked over (looked awesome)... to the soldiers getting stomped, knee-dropped, grabbed and smashed... then those things taking a victory dump all over them in the end... hehe...

That trailer, overall, looks spectacular... Sony owes Kojima a lot... of money, prostitutes, whatever... get him what he needs...

This and Resistance are really getting me HoTT for the PS3... oh sooo HoTT...

:lol Agreed, I mean if game play is half as chaotic, jesus christ!

darkvir

No kiddn, Downgrade??! BS! that was a sweet ass trailer, MGS4 is still THE benchmark, cinematic style, animation and all out awe.

Nozi

Banned
I think a lot of you should reserve judgment on the gameplay until we see the actual game. Right now you're getting excited over pre-scripted cutscenes - the potential within a cutscene (animation, physics, camera angles, and so forth) is so different to what is achievable in-game, so for now let's just say it looks awesome but don't make judgments on gameplay based off scripted cinemas.

Nozi said:
I think a lot of you should reserve judgment on the gameplay until we see the actual game. Right now you're getting excited over pre-scripted cutscenes - the potential within a cutscene is so different to what is achievable in-game, so for now let's just say it looks awesome but don't make judgments on gameplay based off scripted cinemas.

err this game isn't by some newbie studio making a game for the first time. Have you ever played a Kojima Productions game? ZOE2, MGS3 Subsistance, MGS2, MGS1....You know they will deliver on the promises so I don't see where you are getting at :\

Nozi

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
err this game isn't by some newbie studio making a game for the first time. Have you ever played a Kojima Productions game? ZOE2, MGS3 Subsistance, MGS2, MGS1....You know they will deliver on the promises so I don't see where you are getting at :\

Yes, and none of the MGS games played remotely like the cinematic cutscenes. MGS 3's cutscenes blew me away but weren't indicative of the game when I first popped in into the drive. Same with any game with awesome cutscenes.

Nozi said:
I think a lot of you should reserve judgment on the gameplay until we see the actual game. Right now you're getting excited over pre-scripted cutscenes - the potential within a cutscene (animation, physics, camera angles, and so forth) is so different to what is achievable in-game, so for now let's just say it looks awesome but don't make judgments on gameplay based off scripted cinemas.

If it maintains the previous standard of Kojima's games from cutscenes to gameplay, then it'll be remarkably close in the final product...and THAT is worth getting excited about, since few games coming out next year show this amount of promise.

velvet_nitemare said:
If it maintains the previous standard of Kojima's games from cutscenes to gameplay, then it'll be remarkably close in the final product...and THAT is worth getting excited about, since few games coming out next year show this amount of promise.

MGS2 had amazingly directed cut scnenes but the ingame battles absolutely sucked in comparison.

Kabuki Waq said:
MGS2 had amazingly directed cut scnenes but the ingame battles absolutely sucked in comparison.

I agree to a point, but I still think they're having to learn how to do this. It's a tricky thing. But I thought some of the fights were amazing, like with the Harrier and Vamp, for instance.

Nozi said:
Yes, and none of the MGS games played remotely like the cinematic cutscenes. MGS 3's cutscenes blew me away but weren't indicative of the game when I first popped in into the drive. Same with any game with awesome cutscenes.

I guess you are saying the gameplay graphics didn't look good as the cut scenes. The primary reason for that is because they place emphasis on a couple of characters during the cut scenes . But the gameplay graphics still look great though! Especially in ZOE2.

I think the gameplay will look great! The game takes places in a chaotic war torn environment with multiple factions fighting each other, destructible environment and the physics system already looks great. Lets wait for TGS :p

Reilly

Nozi said:

but MGS's gameplay is awesome, so there's nothing to worry about.

RaijinFY said:
Man that sequence was so ****ing awesome!!!!

word to that...shows they can translate some of the intense cutscene action to gameplay

scenes. And ya, the sniper battle and the portion when ocelot'as crew hunt you down in the

abandoned red brick building...both really tense scenes.

With better hardware, i expect them to incorporate more into the gameplay and blow away

those in MGS3...which smoked MGS2...which crapped all over MGS1...

Hopefully no flipping off missiles though:lol

Hopefully no flipping off missiles though

We haven't had any of that in a MGS game. There was this one game on Cube that paraded around as one, but it didn't fool me. The difference between Twin Snakes and Metal Gear is roughly that between House of the Dead and Silent Hill.

Pimpwerx

Nozi said:
Your tag says it all. This post is worthless. In MGS2, the whole trailer focused on many of the elements you encountered on the tanker stage. You could choke guys, stick guys up and case them with the flashlight, sneaking, shooting around the shields, etc. It's all sprinkled throughout the trailer. The trailer tries to encompass the story at large though. *sigh* You clearly don't get this game, so why even bother posting this nonsense. Anyone who's played the games knows you're full of it. And again, I'm not even a big MGS fan. PEACE.

DSN2K

seen it more clearly now...

my word that was violent, those Metal gears are ****ing Crazy! noise is just psychotic, I don't look forward to fighting them one bit.

Nozi

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
Your tag says it all. This post is worthless. In MGS2, the whole trailer focused on many of the elements you encountered on the tanker stage. You could choke guys, stick guys up and case them with the flashlight, sneaking, shooting around the shields, etc. It's all sprinkled throughout the trailer. The trailer tries to encompass the story at large though. *sigh* You clearly don't get this game, so why even bother posting this nonsense. Anyone who's played the games knows you're full of it. And again, I'm not even a big MGS fan. PEACE.

meltdown.jpg

PEACE

Pimpwerx

Nozi said:
Yes, I'm melting down. Yes or no, have you played MGS2 before? PEACE.

EDIT: BTW, isn't is possible that the gears are excreting lactic acid, or something like that? They're biomechanical, so I'd assume even synthetic muscle must build up acid during long periods of activity. In both trailers, they dump after the action. PEACE.

jjasper

Pimpwerx said:
EDIT: BTW, isn't is possible that the gears are excreting lactic acid, or something like that? They're biomechanical, so I'd assume even synthetic muscle must build up acid during long periods of activity. In both trailers, they dump after the action. PEACE.

If they are muscular and cannot intake Oxygen yes.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Pimpwerx said:

Well yes and no. Kojima already said that they are pissing aka marking their territory.

J-Rzez

velvet_nitemare said:
Sure...but do you remember the Bike chase sequence in MGS3?

That was one of the most epic gameplay parts I've ever played in a game... Now, I know you can say stuff like Time Crisis has a "scripted" shoot-em-up to it like that scene, but it is NOT nearly as intense as this felt, mainly because it was the excellent story-play up to that point, and it was a dramatic change of gameplay within the game that gave it a shock-value...

It's something that Japanese devs seem to do a great job with... creating that tension... building suspense and excitement... then tapping it out...

Whoever said there was "nothing" to MGS2 compared to the trailers for it needs to play that game again... Come on, shooting the guards in the foot to get them to drop their shields... to the way the soldiers "Cleared" a room that you were thought to be in, where the lil radar window turned into "their" point of view... to being able to shoot out the guards radio, watch them try to call for back-up, then realizing their radio's fubar'd go running to "recruit" help to come back with... That was absolutely crazy for it's time...

All in all... you have got to give credit where credit is due... and Kojima is one of, or maybe THEE most talented man in the business... His games are truely interactive movies, just deeper as they draw you into the gameplay...

on a side note... That trailer... with the setting... and in particular the straight down shot of the helicopter above the battlezone made me remember the movie, "Blackhawk Down"... did it do that for anyone else? And that's a good sign, as that is one of the greatest war-movies ever...

J-Rzez said:
on a side note... That trailer... with the setting... and in particular the straight down shot of the helicopter above the battlezone made me remember the movie, "Blackhawk Down"... did it do that for anyone else? And that's a good sign, as that is one of the greatest war-movies ever...

I believe that's suppose to be one of the inspirations for the Middle East part of the game.

And while many are looking forward to the gameplay sequences whenever they might come, i'm looking forward to seeing some of the places that take place outside of the Middle East since we know Snake is suppose to travel around the world.

mikeGFG

Banned
Just saw the pics. Waiting for the trailer to download.

The only 'downgrade' I see is the lack of color overlays, high color saturation, and rich contrast from E3 trailers. I never thought the graphics were any good in either trailer, but the presentation was always top notch-- great editing, great animations, and so forth.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Mike G.E.D. said:
Just saw the pics. Waiting for the trailer to download.

The only 'downgrade' I see is the lack of color overlays, high color saturation, and rich contrast from E3 trailers. I never thought the graphics were any good in either trailer, but the presentation was always top notch-- great editing, great animations, and so forth.

So if MGS4's graphics weren't good then what game does have good graphics?

mikeGFG

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
So if MGS4's graphics weren't good then what game does have good graphics?

Mass Effect I supose. If it makes you feel any better, I dont think Gears of War looks particularly impressive either (which makes no sense, considering both games use UE3.)

edit: Just saw the 640x360 cam trailer from Gamevideos. Much, much better than those screens. Especially when you see the self-shadowing going on. good stuff.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
IS IT POSSIBLE TO HAVE THE FULL TRAILER PRETTY PLEASE? NOT JUST THE NEW PART. I WANT ALL OF IT AS IT WAS SHOWN AT THE GC.

thank you

Mononofu

Wait a minute, could it be possible that this clip is just a portion that was edited out of the 15min E3 trailer? I don't see how any one can say it's a "downgrade", it looks exactly the same.

Ajax

Banned
Nozi said:

Why exactly is it a meltdown? You keep spewing ignorant trolls in this thread and when someone makes a point you start with random accussations ("what's the word I learned this week? MELTDOWN. Let's use it!!!"). Nice tactic. Take your fanboy damage control (since you obviously consider MGS4 a threat) out of this thread please.

Lakitu

st5fu
Yes this must be the so called added minutes of footage Kojima cut out from the E3 2006 trailer, still awesome though!! Plus, a few bits of it was used in the E3 2006 trailer.

RaijinFY

Mononofu said:
Wait a minute, could it be possible that this clip is just a portion that was edited out of the 15min E3 trailer? I don't see how any one can say it's a "downgrade", it looks exactly the same.

Indeed... but you know It's GAF so, no matter what you say It's "DOWNGRADE!!""

Top Bottom