• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Leipzig GC 2006 - New pics!

jax (old)

Banned
antiloop said:
mgs4_gc_2006a_mgs4-03.jpg
926596_20050916_screen004.jpg

Easier to compare to TGS. But the game is not done, we don't know what will be changed added in the coming year.

did someone **** up that second pic deliberately? I've never seen it that lime greenish.

the trailer is ass slow to buffer/ download for me. So I canned it.

Wow. People judging this game from screenshots are in for the suprise of their life when they see this in motion. How many times must I say it? You must watch next-gen games in motion to truly appreciate their next-gen-ness!

Nozi said:
Why is there no texture detail on anything? the walls, the sidewalk, the trousers, the ammo packs, the helmets all look like virtually the same material.

I think Resistance might turn out looking better, actually. That's making improvements graphically with each batch of screens.
You're complaing about the textures? You spent 3 pages defending the Godfather(360). I guess not all games can stand up to the elite graphic quality that game is representing, but I agree these screens aren't too hot.

GhaleonEB

Oldschoolgamer said:
Throw me in the boat with you. We saw the damn video. I still, don't know why we are deciding how it looks on a screenshot, when the video is up for discussion.
Because they RELEASED screens? There were movies before, at TGS and E3, but that didn't stop the massive splooge-fests about the screens, nor the screens being posted into every thread that got into a graphics-whore fest. They looked great. I don't think these screens will be used in that same capacity (not that they are bad - just not in the same league). It just kills me that everyone is saying not to judge it in pics - just the movies - afer that Octogan (or whoever he is) pic got posted a zillion times to prove how amazing this looked. :lol

There is a thread to discuss the movie. And a thread for the pics. If they didn't want us to see the pics, why release them?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i hear the ps3 os takes up 500 mb of ram now so ps3 games can't have textures anymore. and if you want textures you have to buy them over sony's ripoff of xbl marketplace.

SolidSnakex said:
No new MGS game (excluding the "upgrades") have shipped that early. I know there are some that believe the 3 7's are a sign of the date but I doubt it. I expect it to be in November just like MGS2 and MGS3.

I guess you're right. This means that the game would be a product of 3 years of dev time by when it ships.

judging any next gen game by screens alone is very foolish imo. I keep saying that companies should stop releasing screens altogether and move to animated gif's already.

Nozi

Banned
BamYouHaveAids said:
You're complaing about the textures? You spent 3 pages defending the Godfather(360). I guess not all games can stand up to the elite graphic quality that game is representing, but I agree these screens aren't too hot.

I defended the characters in the GF thread, and said the environments were passable as it is a free-roaming game ala GTA and as such can't be held up to the standards being set in that thread. I also said in that thread that single load, linear games should be held up to the very best out there, as there are no technical limitations. Stop twisting my words, PM me if you want to crack jokes.

jett

D-Member
radicalbunny said:
Nice admission from him there that gameplay does not look like these trailers currently, which brings the question.. what are we looking at?

Jesuschrist, eversingletimeanmgsgamehasbeenrevealedever.

Mmmkay

MarkMacD mentioned that the rest of the trailer was the E3 stuff, so if there really was a downgrade, it'll be pretty damn easy to see once the full direct feed trailer becomes available.

DSN2K

love it when people cry DOWNGRADE over the same models in a different positon within the same environment no less. :lol

just shows how blind or deliberately stupid some are.

Chiggs

Gold Member
DSN2K said:
love it when people cry DOWNGRADE over the same models in a different positon within the same environment no less. :lol

Maybe I'm just not reading your post correctly, but...

antiloop said:
mgs4_gc_2006a_mgs4-03.jpg
926596_20050916_screen004.jpg

Easier to compare to TGS. But the game is not done, we don't know what will be changed added in the coming year.

I'm not really sure if it is downgraded. But the tone is different, one is light yellow and the other is hue blue. I like the latter better.
One more thing, the size of the first pic is 77 KB and the size of the second pic is 157 KB. So you can see even if they were the same image then there must be some artifacts in the first.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nozi said:
Do characters self shadow in this game, or is that reserved for the main guys?

The answer - shockingly - is in the trailer. I suspect you're not paying as much attention to it though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Jcgamer60 said:
Dead rising is an example of average graphics.

Are all MGS 4 threads filled with graphics whores?

Even Dead Rising in some shots looked ****ing fantastic to me (especially anything with Brad in it).

GAF is full of graphics whores. You must be new here.

Nozi

Banned
gofreak said:
The answer - shockingly - is in the trailer. I suspect you're not paying as much attention to it though.

Some of us - shockingly - can't download the trailer right now.

cae

Doom_Bringer said:
judging any next gen game by screens without sparks and bloom is very foolish imo. I keep saying that companies should stop releasing screens without that, we wont buy their games.

Fixed.

Chiggs

Gold Member
EviLore said:
Watch the video instead, seriously folks.

At work, so all I can go by are the screenshots right now. But you and others seem to be praising the video, so that's pretty substantial.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
acousticvan said:
I'm not really sure if it is downgraded. But the tone is different, one is light yellow and the other is hue blue. I like the latter better.
One more thing, the size of the first pic is 77 KB and the size of the second pic is 157 KB. So you can see even if they were the same image then there must be some artifacts in the first.

Blue? Are you colorblind? It's the greenest green I've ever seen.

llTll said:
i think that is one of the problems if true.

honestly back at tgs, it looked so awsome with details like this

007.jpg

and look how it look now. is it because the less Ram or the rumor about this game 1080P?

i dont want 1080P. i want it to look good like before :/

That stuff is hard to pull off in realtime. Especially if the entire game uses those effects - would take years to fine tune and complete. I am not surprised that the 'final' in-engine shots look more traditional becase otherwise I expected that this game would be released in 2008!

Chiggs

Gold Member
Blablurn said:
can't believe that some people judge the game by the textures of a shirt -.-

We're judging the game's graphics; not the game itself. Well, I'm not, at least.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Chiggs said:
At work, so all I can go by are the screenshots right now. But you and others seem to be praising the video, so that's pretty substantial.

I can understand being at work and all, but the reactionary "DOWNGRADE!!!!" from a small set of crappy screens (screens that aren't even in the game's native res), taken from some bonus footage of a trailer we've otherwise already seen....it's just silly.

Nozi said:
I think Resistance might turn out looking better, actually

:lol

Chiggs

Gold Member
antoniogaud said:
I am not surprised that the 'final' in-engine shots look more traditional becase otherwise I expected that this game would be released in 2008!

And I would gladly, gladly wait.

gogogow

Seriously, judge the graphics after you've seen the trailer.
That is just f****** beautiful.
debris, smoke, shadows/self-shadowing, sparks, lighting, damage, physics, it's all in that trailer.

Now we wait 3 months for the HD trailer :(

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Wow, that video was awesome. The cutscenes in MGS4 are gonna be so badass if the new trailer is any indication

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nozi said:
Some of us - shockingly - can't download the trailer right now.

Well, you'd be well advised to hold your horses until you can then, lest you continue to pass as silly comments as that which Evilore as quoted ^^. Seriously, the trailer is the quality you'd expect (with the qualification that the gamevideos version is currently relatively small).

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
gogogow said:
Seriously, judge the graphics after you've seen the trailer.
That is just f****** beautiful.
debris, shadows/self-shadowing, sparks, lighting, damage, physics, it's all in that trailer.

Now we wait 3 months for the HD trailer :(

Sadly :(

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Some of you have got the crudest notion of graphic detail, that's being left behind by what next gen's systems can do. There's a truck in the first pic being blown up where not only is the tire being blown from the truck but the hub is separating from the tire because the tire itself is shredding. Yet some of you would rather just obsess over whether the textures have been downgraded.

I guess whatever it takes to make you feel okay about not being able to afford the <strike>$500</strike> $600 game system, eh GAF?

gofreak said:
Well, you'd be well advised to hold your horses until you can then, lest you continue to pass as silly comments as that which Evilore as quoted ^^. Seriously, the trailer is the quality you'd expect (with the qualification that the gamevideos version is currently relatively small).

Yea, the trailer's ****ing awesome.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'll be honest, I'm a wee bit nervous about what kind of plot treatment Kojima will give the Middle East. It'll be mental, that's for sure.

jett

D-Member
kaching said:
Some of you have got the crudest notion of graphic detail, that's being left behind by what next gen's systems can do. There's a truck in the first pic being blown up where not only is the tire being blown from the truck but the hub is separating from the tire because the tire itself is shredding. Yet some of you would rather just obsess over whether the textures have been downgraded.

QFT.

Top Bottom