• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Leipzig GC 2006 - New pics!

Meh, Im not worried at all about these visuals. As long as the controls are solid and the animations are fluid, this game is gonna make me drop $600. Also I pray that objects being destroyed will be that detailed during gameplay.

Physics + Animations FTW.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
There is so much post processing and particle physics going on in-engine. I don't see how anyone can have a problem with anything MGS4, downgrade or not.

KurowaSan

maybe i'm wrong, but i remember Konami, or Ryan Payton in some report or Kojima in particular, saying the 15 minutes trailer was going to be even longer; they decided to cut some parts, so my guess is that this is actually from the e3 game build.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Marconelly said:
This is probably either capped off some video file, or it's another Konami CMYK picture conversion job... Colors in the actual direct feed trailers never looked monochromatic like this.
No, those are frame buffer grabs, just badly compressed. I'll try to find some good quality ones, if not I'll upload mines.

Elios83

llTll said:
not really trolling. no one doubt that mgs4 is awsome. but you cant deny the the TGS trailer looked better over all those screens..

who knows. maybe those screens are bad or low rez, and yes we know the trailer is awsome. :)

Screens don't mean anything.
I can find horrible screens of every exisisting game,even those with the most beutiful graphics.
I just find stupid that after having seen the new trailer which is simply amazing,people complain about bad screens.
Oh and this trailer is >> than TGS trailer,phisics in the game is amazing at the moment,TGS trailer was just about the Snake model.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
KurowaSan said:
maybe i'm wrong, but i remember Konami, or Ryan Payton in some report or Kojima in particular, saying the 15 minutes trailer was going to be even longer; they decided to cut some parts, so my guess is that this is actually from the e3 game build.

That maybe the reason.

At any rate, the clothing on the guy holdin the rocket launcher is incredible. Even though its a small fragment of cloth, it kinda looks life-like.

Wollan

llTll said:
but you cant deny the the TGS trailer looked better over all those screens..

Im not sure why you're comparing last years trailer to these pics. But this new trailer kicked last years trailer in the behind so things are progressing.

Mmmkay

There's something really wrong with the resolution of those screenshots. Take a look at the aliasing along the near horizontal and 35/55 degree angles, compared to the near vertical stuff. It looks as if they were scaled without maintaining proportions.

jett

D-Member
SolidSnakex said:
The FoxHound soldiers look identical to how they've always looked all the way back to the TGS trailer

040jq9.jpg

protip xbots: SHOTEH FOCK OP.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Those soldiers on the truck, etc are the same exact from E3 trailer. Some of those scenes even are the same. It's normal that some random grunts won't have the same amount od detail as Snake and other main character models.

OverHeat

« generous god »
look those are in-game movie not gameplay.
So it wont even look this good when your playing.
But one thing this game have is its awesome physics

The trailer is pretty amazing, but I can't tell if the framerate is back up to 60 or whether it's just a smooth 30. These screens are definitely not representative of how good it looks, physics aside (assuming the tire is done in realtime like the walls being knocked down were).

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
The animation is insane! Go play GRAW and compare.

The one thing I keep thinking to myself while watching the trailer is 'Thank God this is a 2007 release!'

Milhouse31 said:
what is the source of those pics ?

Vid grabs I'd wager.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
The visuals are a bit dull IMO. The yellow tint and low res textures don't do it for me. The shadowing appears a bit lacking in these shots as well.

llTll

Banned
Elios83 said:
Screens don't mean anything.
I can find horrible screens of every exisisting game,even those with the most beutiful graphics.
I just find stupid that after having seen the new trailer which is simply amazing,people complain about bad screens.
Oh and this trailer is >> than TGS trailer,phisics in the game is amazing at the moment,TGS trailer was just about the Snake model.

1- no its not better than TGS trailer graphics wise
2- the trailer we have seen was very bad quality. we almost couldnt tell #$#
3- movies of games can hide the small details. and we are talking about those details.

sure every game has bad pics. but these are the pictures we have now, till we get better pics to compare, we wont be able to judge perfectly. but for now, based on those pics, TGS pics are better than those.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Funky Papa said:
No, those are frame buffer grabs, just badly compressed. I'll try to find some good quality ones, if not I'll upload mines.
Konami's frame buffer MGS4 grabs even are crap quality though, because they distribute them converted to CMYK (for print use). This looks like exact same botch job. Actualy direct feed trailers like that from Dorimaga (TGS trailer) or IGN (E3 trailer) show a lot more vivid colors, like you'd expect from RGB to begin with.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
what is the source of those pics ?
Konami.

Uncompressed and unresized press shot

mgs.jpg

I still have to see the video, BTW. This one could be a less detailed model used for "crowded" sequences and whatnot. The game is still in development, so people should think about it before claiming downgradeton or stfu fanboi. Just sayin'.

KurowaSan

i just checked Kojima Productions Report #16 and Ken Imaizumi (MGS4 producer) did say Hideo had to cut some parts from it (E3 trailer) because it was too long. I really doubt this is a new build, anyway... downgrade am total

llTll said:

The textures are certainly better and the character models look the same. So what exactly is worse about it? You can't compare Snakes model from that TGS trailer to random enemies as they're never going to be anywhere near as detailed as his model.

Tk0n

DaCocoBrova said:
The animation is insane! Go play GRAW and compare.

now thats a fair comparision ;)

has the bloom been updated? doesnt look like a cheap last gen effect like in the older shots.
i kinda like it.

Pug

Never judge a game by static screens or by scripted cut scenes. The only thing that bothers me about about MGS4 is the poor draw distance.

Elios83

llTll said:
2- the trailer we have seen was very bad quality. we almost couldnt tell #$#
3- movies of games can hide the small details. and we are talking about those details.

sure every game has bad pics. but these are the pictures we have now, till we get better pics to compare, we wont be able to judge perfectly. but for now, based on those pics, TGS pics are better than those.

I can't agree with you,if I have to judge a game I think a movie is much more representative than static screens and only playing it on your TV you'll be able to judge it perfectly.
The game overall looks much better than what we have seen at TGS,there's much more stuff going on and with amazing phisics which were absent in the original trailer which was just a showcase of the Snake model.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
KurowaSan said:
i just checked Kojima Productions Report #16 and Ken Imaizumi (MGS4 producer) did say Hideo had to cut some parts from it (E3 trailer) because it was too long. I really doubt this is a new build, anyway... downgrade am total
Yes, it makes sense to release shots of parts from a trailer that weren't good enough half a year ago now.

Funky Papa said:
Konami.

mgs.jpg

I still have to see the video, BTW. This one could be a less detailed model used for "crowded" sequences and whatnot. The game is still in development, so people should think about it before claiming downgradeton or stfu fanboi. Just sayin'.

Wait, the press shot is 1024x576? Then I guess the others shots in this thread were upsized from them? That would explain the stretched look Mmmkay was talking about.

Nozi

Banned
Funky Papa said:
Konami.

mgs.jpg

Why is there no texture detail on anything? the walls, the sidewalk, the trousers, the ammo packs, the helmets all look like virtually the same material.

I think Resistance might turn out looking better, actually. That's making improvements graphically with each batch of screens.

gogogow

According to Konami, game director Hideo Kojima couldn't be at the show in person because he's busy working on the game, but he said he looks forward to attending the Games Convention next year -- along with a playable version of the game. He also said that the final game will look just as good as this trailer when you are playing it.

from 1up.

We play games and not pics, the trailer was ******* awesome.

Mmmkay

Shogmaster said:
Wait, the press shot is 1024x576? Then I guess the others shots in this thread were upsized from them? That would explain the stretched look Mmmkay was talking about.
But... these press shots have the... same aliasing problems. :/

gogogow said:
According to Konami, game director Hideo Kojima couldn't be at the show in person because he's busy working on the game, but he said he looks forward to attending the Games Convention next year -- along with a playable version of the game. He also said that the final game will look just as good as this trailer when you are playing it.

from 1up.

Say what? Does that mean this damn game is gonna ship AFTER August '07?!?

The reason it doesn't look as good to you is because it focuses on minor characters which obviously won't be as detailed as the main cast.

I seriosuly don't get some of you people.

WE JUST SAW THE DAMN VIDEO! Whats more important what it looks like on a screen, in motion, you know how you play the game or some random screen shot.

GhaleonEB

Nozi said:
Why is there no texture detail on anything? the walls, the sidewalk, the trousers, the ammo packs, the helmets all look like virtually the same material.
That's what I was thinking. It all looks so...plain, texture-wise.

Shogmaster said:
Sure sounds like it.

gogogow said:

from 1up.

Nice admission from him there that gameplay does not look like these trailers currently, which brings the question.. what are we looking at?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
MiamiWesker said:
I seriosuly don't get some of you people.

WE JUST SAW THE DAMN VIDEO! Whats more important what it looks like on a screen, in motion, you know how you play the game or some random screen shot.

Throw me in the boat with you. We saw the damn video. I still, don't know why we are deciding how it looks on a screenshot, when the video is up for discussion.

Shogmaster said:

No new MGS game (excluding the "upgrades") have shipped that early. I know there are some that believe the 3 7's are a sign of the date but I doubt it. I expect it to be in November just like MGS2 and MGS3.

Top Bottom