• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Leipzig GC 2006 - New pics!

mgs4_grenade.jpg

OverHeat

« generous god »
Stinkles said:
I'll be honest, I'm a wee bit nervous about what kind of plot treatment Kojima will give the Middle East. It'll be mental, that's for sure.

What do you think of the graphics Stinkles?

jimbo

Banned
Nozi said:
Why is there no texture detail on anything? the walls, the sidewalk, the trousers, the ammo packs, the helmets all look like virtually the same material.

I think Resistance might turn out looking better, actually. That's making improvements graphically with each batch of screens.

You know, I was thinking to myself, something looks so plain about this but I just don't know why, and I didn't catch that until you pointed it out. You are right. There are almost NO textures on anything in any of those screenshots. I guess they're trying to keep the same art style as the PS2 games, but that art style came as a result of the PS2's texturing limitations. There's no reason the PS3 version should get the same treatment. It worked on PS2 because you had the jaggies, and poor image quality which actually "textured" the whole game, but it will be interesting to see how this style turns out in HD. Hope it doesn't get monotonic after awhile.

Having said that, the game looks great.

gogogow

I think there's an upgrade instead of an downgrade.
The trailer is way more intense and action-packed than the E3 one, more metal gears, and guerilla fighters on screen and it was running smooth.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
gogogow said:
I think there's an upgrade instead of an downgrade.
The trailer is way more intense and action-packed than the E3 one, more metal gears, and guerilla fighters on screen and it was running smooth.

I agree. This is the best footage of MGS4 we've seen so far

mr_nothin

Banned
The VIDEO is GREAT....
This game is gonna be so awesome, graphics are *MUAH*
He has the proportions right too...like the part when the soldiers were playing "TAG UR IT"...they just looked perfect
LOL at the MG's drop kicking everybody and the trucks...
The game is running ALOT better too
Im excited

antiloop

P90 said:
For some portions, but rag doll deaths and other last gen cheese still rears its ugly head. Overall, very dramatic clip.

So what kind of deaths do you want? :>

Animation is great, not perfect but great.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
MiamiWesker said:
I seriosuly don't get some of you people.

WE JUST SAW THE DAMN VIDEO! Whats more important what it looks like on a screen, in motion, you know how you play the game or some random screen shot.

MiamiWesker said:

WE JUST SAW THE DAMN VIDEO! Whats more important what it looks like on a screen, in motion, you know how you play the game or some random screen shot.

MiamiWesker said:

MiamiWesker said:

MiamiWesker said:

MiamiWesker said:

Quoted a bunch of times for emphasises.

Pimpwerx

Why do I even bother reading the thread, why not just click the link and leave it at that? DOWNGRADE? Some of you spew that nonsense even before you see a pic or watch a video. Is it just me, or aren't these 3 new minutes added to the previous 8 minute trailer we already saw? If the trailer from last year wasn't "downgrade total" then wtf makes these new 3 minutes any different?

I'm serious, is logic at a premium now? Are we so entrenched in the system wars right now that we can't even think about something as obvious as this? If 3 minutes gets downgraded, I assume the other 8 were as well. If not, then I guess some of you are obviously talking out of the old pooper. Either way, the bullshit's getting too deep around here. And I'm not even a big MGS fan. PEACE.

Ajax

Banned
Wollan said:
And with that 'enemy' activity drops to zero. Funny.

They never had a chance. This vid is trully amazing. So many things happening in such amazing detail. Simply incredible.

Pimpwerx said:
Why do I even bother reading the thread, why not just click the link and leave it at that? DOWNGRADE? Some of you spew that nonsense even before you see a pic or watch a video. Is it just me, or aren't these 3 new minutes added to the previous 8 minute trailer we already saw? If the trailer from last year wasn't "downgrade total" then wtf makes these new 3 minutes any different?

I'm serious, is logic at a premium now? Are we so entrenched in the system wars right now that we can't even think about something as obvious as this? If 3 minutes gets downgraded, I assume the other 8 were as well. If not, then I guess some of you are obviously talking out of the old pooper. Either way, the bullshit's getting too deep around here. And I'm not even a big MGS fan. PEACE.

Seriously. I came in just a few minutes ago and people love jumping the gun even when they aren't specific. The second half of this thread is sure different from the first half once we got more media.

I can confirm that the brickwall textures are spot-on, that's exactly how they look in some parts of the middle east. I bet they used real photographs to make those.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Doom_Bringer said:
I love how the IED blows up that truck! Looks like Kojima has been watching those Iraqi IED insurgent videos,

Kojima has worked with Osama and the Iraqi insurgents for MGS4????

O_O

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
mckmas8808 said:
Kojima has worked with Osama and the Iraqi insurgents for MGS4????

O_O

lol

You must have missed the podcasts and whatnot. He and his team went through a whole lot of training to make this game. One guy even got shot. (BB i think)

Kojima is teh hardcore.

3rdman

Looks good...still no gameplay. Will reserve final judgement till then...Until then, all I can say is "Nice Trailer"...Same goes for Forza 2 and anything else nobody has played.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
3rdman said:
Looks good...still no gameplay. Will reserve final judgement till then...Until then, all I can say is "Nice Trailer"...Same goes for Forza 2 and anything else nobody has played.

Forza is CG, though. This is completely real time.

The animation is just so amazing, and it has the kojima touch....shitting Gekkido things. :lol

Chiggs

Wollan said:
And with that troll activity drops to zero. Funny.

Yep, actually seeing some of the new footage in motion helped silence those dastardly trolls, who up until now only had arguably lackluster screenshots to go off of because of their company's internet policy.

Oh, who am I kidding? I simply can't afford a PS3 and hold a huge grudge against Sony for hurting Sega during the 32bit era. GRRRRRRRR!

Oldschoolgamer said:
lol

You must have missed the podcasts and whatnot. He and his team went through a whole lot of training to make this game. One guy even got shot. (BB i think)

That was Murata who's the co director of the game. :p

Nozi

Banned
3rdman said:

Yeah just watched the trailer.. impressive indeed but zero indication of how the game will turn out.

Ajax

Banned
3rdman said:

I like how you say it's just "good" and then you damage control like there's no tomorrow.

antoniogaud said:
<Pic from E3>

That stuff is hard to pull off in realtime. Especially if the entire game uses those effects - would take years to fine tune and complete. I am not surprised that the 'final' in-engine shots look more traditional becase otherwise I expected that this game would be released in 2008!

Can i vote this one as the best attempt at a stealth troll?

EekTheKat

The framerate was rock solid in that clip, and there was a whole lot of action going on - hopefully that'll reflect how the final game will perform.

We're probably seeing physics based cloth simulation at work for the shirts on the soldiers. In the old soldier you have two soldiers being relatively still + in the other shot you have a soldier in mid stride of a run.

Top Bottom