• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Playing Peace Walker for the first time in anticipation of Ground Zeroes. Graphics have held up pretty well (considering it was a friggin PSP game) but I can't say I'm enjoying the level-based system and team micromanagement.
I really enjoyed PW, but the micromanagement was a slog. Both managing your team and your base.

Some people swear by it... I know several people who claim it to be the best part about the game. I hated it, though.

I think I had a personal revelation regarding Hayter's voice performance (and the MGS series in general), and why I once loved it, then vehemently hated his voice (post MGS4), and now I'm seeing it in a more favorable light. I might make a thread about it once I sleep on it and gather my thoughts.

I had this thought after listening a little to Kiefer's performance in Ground Zeroes (which I gotta say leaves a lot to be desired, at least from what I've heard so far), and then Hayter's in Peace Walker (which I hadn't played before).

Finally, someone who realizes that Hayter is not the problem, but the voice direction. Even then, I never had any problem with Hayter's performance/voice tone on Portable Ops / Peace Walker. I liked it a lot.

I don't know how anyone can like his Peace Walker performance, it's legitimately bad.

IMO he really only worked for the stoic MGS1 Solid Snake.

Alienous

Anyone in the good old UK got a copy yet?

I think I had a personal revelation regarding Hayter's voice performance (and the MGS series in general), and why I once loved it, then vehemently hated his voice (post MGS4), and now I'm seeing it in a more favorable different light. I might make a thread about it once I sleep on it and gather my thoughts.

I had this thought after listening a little to Kiefer's performance in Ground Zeroes (which I gotta say leaves a lot to be desired, at least from what I've heard so far), and then Hayter's in Peace Walker (which I hadn't played before).

Hayter took the "sound old" cue from MGS4 and forgot to tone it back down for later installments?

He sounds like he's gargling gravel. Awful.

Hupsel

Surprised I found a Xbox One and PS3 copy in my local game store here in Brazil. Of course theyre charging like $70 for the next gen version -_-

Ishida

Banned
I don't know how anyone can like his Peace Walker performance, it's legitimately bad.

IMO he really only worked for the stoic MGS1 Solid Snake.

It's actually pretty simple: While I prefer Hayter's more "serious" voice tone with MGS1 Solid Snake, I also love his over the top, cartoonish performance. It gives Snake an extremely distinctive tone.

To each it's own, but I would have absolutely no problem on having "cartoonish Hayter" over "boring Sutherland".

Ridley327

It's actually pretty simple: While I prefer Hayter's more "serious" voice tone with MGS1 Solid Snake, I also love his over the top, cartoonish performance. It gives Snake an extremely distinctive tone.

To each it's own, but I would have absolutely no problem on having "cartoonish Hayter" over "boring Sutherland".

With this game going for a more somber tone, a "cartoonish Hayter" would be immensely distracting, even moreso than he has been.

Ishida

Banned
With this game going for a more somber tone, a "cartoonish Hayter" would be immensely distracting, even moreso than he has been.

Perhaps, but they could've easily used his voice tone from MGS1 as long as the voice acting direction demanded and coordinated it.

Heh, I'll live with Sutherland's performance, I just find that every time Kiefer says something, I repeat it imitating Hayter's voice. I think that will make for a very fun playthrough,

Lakitu

st5fu
My pre-order is paid for in full but I haven't been keeping up with current events, how do the livestreams look? What's the impression so far?

Blader

Any word on how good/bad the game's Peace Walker recap option is? I never played PW and likely won't be able getting through it from beginning to end before GZ is released.

kmax

http://youtu.be/5Sx7yttJm0I

Can't stress enough that peeps need to listen to this Blaustein interview from 2008. The moderators of the podcast aren't great by any means, but Blaustein himself is awesome to listen to.

Coincidentally, was listening to this before you posted this.

I have major respect for Blaustein, he worked on both MGS and Silent Hill 2, the greatest Konami games ever, so it's refreshing to hear how candid he is about his experience at Konami.

The guy's talented.

SJRB

Gold Member
I have to say this "MGS is the only one with good voice acting" is new to me. I think MGS2 is excellent across the board and a lot of MGS3 is great as well, especially EVA. Zero and to a lesser extend Sigint are the only two that are really bad, especially Zero.

It's not until MGS4 where literally everyone sounds like they don't give a fuck. Especially Christopher Randolph, that guy should've been smacked on the back of the head during the recording sessions.

rvy

Banned
I have to say this "MGS is the only one with good voice acting" is new to me. I think MGS2 is excellent across the board and a lot of MGS3 is great as well, especially EVA. Zero and to a lesser extend Sigint are the only two that are really bad, especially Zero.

It's not until MGS4 where literally everyone sounds like they don't give a fuck. Especially Christopher Randolph, that guy should've been smacked on the back of the head during the recording sessions.

They don't give a fuck, lol. Hayter is probably the exception because he actually enjoys the franchise and plays the games. This is a job after all.
They don't need to give a fuck to do a good job, they're just poorly directed and Kojima's obsession with having the scripts translated literally just adds to it.

"Can love bloom on the battlefield?".

Truly a genius.

Top Bottom