• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

One thing i think may be a problem is how close the camera is to snake.

It makes for incredible angles /presentation when sprinting but it makes you get caught or miss an obvious enemy because of how close it is.

AKyemeni

I love diving ever where, even when it's not needed lol.

I still need to learn how to disarm someone and shoot them in the chest with their own gun.

For anyone on the fence due to price/TRT... Get. This. Game.

Nah. Think I'll wait. Having watched a playthough (which was done in roughly half an hour with just the main mission), I'll wait until it hits a lower price point. Would be a lot more attractive for $15 or $20.

(Spoilers)
That evacuation scene at Mother Base is amazing, though. Dat music

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
My second playthrough on Hard took 33 minutes.

Yeah, once you know what to do I assume it'll be easier/shorter. But as for game content the 2 hours I played represented 10%. I'd be willing to bet there is at least 8 hours worth of stuff until 100%

Sweet!

Anyone know if any Targets broke the street date?
Even if they did, the register would refuse a sale until the date. (I tried with DKC:TF earlier this year..denied at 3 different Targets.)

I caved and pre-ordered. Kind of excited. Had to.opt for PS3 tho :/.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This basically seems like a modern version of MGS: VR Missions. Only instead of coming out after the main game, it came out before, and it has a story mission.

Mik2121

How are there so many stores breaking release date??

Isn't the game being released on the 18th in the US? I have to wait until the 20th (goddamn Japanese companies releasing their games in Japan later...).

TopGun

Banned
I have a feeling it'll take me a good hour and a half to run GZ for the first time, just getting game play down and really trying not to get caught. I'm not concerned about the whole length of the main mission, there are what, 4 extra ops missions to do besides the main story? I have no idea how many hours I'll sink into GZ but it'll be way more than 10-15. If GZ is my most anticipated game since Metroid Prime 2, I'll be playing it a ton.

But that's just me, not everyone is a completionist. I highly doubt someone who bought the game (or pirated it this week) will play each mission once and never again, with a certain amount of replay value and content, I'm sure the consumer will get their money or bandwidth's worth.

Gun Animal

Yeah, once you know what to do I assume it'll be easier/shorter. But as for game content the 2 hours I played represented 10%. I'd be willing to bet there is at least 8 hours worth of stuff until 100%

Journey offered a similar value (2-3 hour campaign, 8-10 hours 100% completion.) I forget, how much did they ask for that game initially?

TopGun

Banned
Journey offered a similar value (2-3 hour campaign, 8-10 hours 100% completion.) I forget, how much did they ask for that game initially?

Considering it was an indie dev release, they could "get away" with charging $19 for a 2-3 hour game. But a company like Konami charging a AAA title game at $20-30 for 2-3 hours? That's blasphemy!

Gun Animal

Considering it was an indie dev release, they could "get away" with charging $19 for a 2-3 hour game. But a company like Konami charging a AAA title game at $20-30 for 2-3 hours? That's blasphemy!

Yeah the $40 retail next-gen thing was overboard, but since they slashed that I have no issue with the pricing. $20 for a short but high quality downloadable title is fair, and a $10 premium for the physical version might seem steep but that's probably pretty close to the actual cost difference on their end.

edit: although yeah $15 for the psn version would have been the sweet spot.

wanders

Even if they did, the register would refuse a sale until the date. (I tried with DKC:TF earlier this year..denied at 3 different Targets.)

I caved and pre-ordered. Kind of excited. Had to.opt for PS3 tho :/.

Thats what I thought. BestBuy does the same

The search continues

Does the game include a way to change the audio, so one doesn't need to listen to Kiefer?
Or do we need the Japanese version for that?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Some direct-captures from the opening (PS3 version). Besides the sub-HD blur, it looks pretty good imo.

metalgearsolidvgroundwbrhs.png

metalgearsolidvgrounddkrmy.png

metalgearsolidvground1lpvt.png

13163308243_dc70944872_b.jpg

Amazing. Even the girl at the shop acknowledged that they were selling it early. I asked her "You sure it's okay?"

Obviously we know her answer. So damn awesome!

KaiserBecks

Besides the size of the main mission, do we know how substantial the side missions are and how many weapons/gadgets/vehicles there'll be?
It's more or less a sandbox game, so I have no trouble finding something to do as long as the game provides some tools. I don't even care about the main mission, since it's just an appetizer anyway.
I haven't seen any gameplay since the very first presentation of the game, so I'm afraid to look at the new playthroughs that are starting to pop up at youtube. Not really worth it at this point.

DieH@rd

Banned
Did anyone from GAF who got the game early tied the game with Remote Play? Give us impressions/pics/vid.

Also, when will iDroid android app be up?

Wow PS3 version looks like dirt!

I think it looks ok. I mean, what do you expect from such old hardware on a cross-gen release?

The only thing that really rubs me the wrong way is that once again ps3 can't properly render alphas. Look at Snake's hair on the left. those fences on camp omega will be painful to watch. :/

EDIT: I noticed the same rendering error in the PS4 version. It's big-boss's mullet clipping through his right shoulder. It looks like that model is ready for a pony-tail swap!

Spaghetti

yeah, the ps3 version actually looks quite alright in those screens. it looked worse during the comparison video konami released, actually.

i don't feel like i'm missing much out by going last gen now. makes the wait for a pc version easier.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Main mission completed. 2 hours and 22 minutes for me. I did take my time and went as stealthy as possible. I went around the whole level to begin with to check out things.

Even though it was Xbox 360 I was really impressed with the visuals and lighting. Looked a better IQ than the videos/screens released by Konami. Frame rate seemed pretty solid only drops when using the binoculars to view a great distance.

I'm going to play through the side missions now. I did start one last night and it was a sunny day compared to the windy rain at night on the main mission.

It's really easy to be spotted. I got caught a few times by search lights. I knew they were there but thought they wouldn't see me due to objects being in the way. The A.I behavior is pretty good. On the daylight mission I went up a tower and used the flood light and a guard noticed it and came to check it out.

Also I stole a truck and a patrolling guard noticed it parked in an unusual place and took it back to the base.

Seems the tranquilizer gun is dependent on where you shoot them. I got one in the back and it took him a good 20 seconds to pass out while another I shot in the head went down instant.

I'll play some more and see what other things I find.

jett

D-Member
PS3 version looks decent. Too bad KojiPro didn't go the extra mile of rendering the GUI/HUD at 720p, would make things better.

Vroadstar

It's available here in the Philippines since yesterday, got my copy already and it also includes a FREE poster and the reversible cover. Huwaw graphics on PS4!

So I just bought off the psn peace walker and ground zeroes because i read you needed to play peace walker to understand ground zeroes and it seemed like a good deal. I knew that ground zeroes was coming on Monday so I thought cool lets play pw this weekend to be ready for ground zeroes next weekend (i cant play during the week). I download and install pw fine and when I launch it error message I cant play before the 19? WTF is that? That seems utterly stupid....

I find myself wanting to buy both the PS3 & 4 version. Why? I dunno...Maybe to see what could have been on the PS3....but also to see what it was meant to look like....I really don't understand my desire to do this...

THose screens on the 3 looked pretty decent, and I always love seeing how devs can utilize hardware near the end of the console cycle.

MUST....FIGHT...........Hrrnnnnng...

Ishida

Banned
Some direct-captures from the opening (PS3 version). Besides the sub-HD blur, it looks pretty good imo.

Question: Are ALL the PS3 cutscenes rendered in real-time? (Including ending). Can you zoom and move around the camera during cutscenes like in the other MGS games?

raven777

how is PS3 version? the resolution seems sub-native 720p(which was already known) but how is the frame-rate? solid 30fps or unstable?

Besides the size of the main mission, do we know how substantial the side missions are and how many weapons/gadgets/vehicles there'll be?

The side missions are (with 1 very short exception) all around the same length as GZ or a bit shorter. Some of them are very good, particularly the one just underneath GZ. I've found a number of different weapons/vehicles, can't say for sure how many there are.

Care to elaborate on this? I think it looks like it plays great in video.

For the most part it plays more intuitively than any MGS before it, but a couple of bizarre design choices keep it from reaching its potential. For example, while crawling on the ground, touching a wall or other obstacle will sometimes- but far from all the time- cause your character to sit up. It's not like the old mgs games where they squat into cover, either. It seems to happen for no reason, and it's gotten me spotted

Another issue which is probably an extension of this: on the ground, you can aim and strafe, and when you click the left stick ("dash button") on top of this combo you will roll from side to side. A bit more intuitive than it was in mgs4, but once again if you hit a wall it will cause your character to.... GET UP AND START SPRINTING! since you're holding sprint, which is GUARANTEED to get your character spotted by anyone in a 100 yard radius. VERY frustrating to sacrafice your ranking just because the game insisted on making such a nonsensical decision. Bottom line, when the player chooses to crawl they should be locked on the ground until they hit the stance button again. Seems like common sense.

There are others but those are the ones that stuck out most. Cover is extremely stubborn. What the game needs is either a mgs 1-3 system where it's very clear you're in cover and you're fixed in it until you cancel, or an uncharted type system where a button press has the same effect. This tomb raider auto cover thing is just not cutting it. It's stubborn about when you can get into cover, and once you're in, don't even think about moving around. So you want to sidle over to the corner of a wall to peek around the corner? You better be damn careful as you approach that edge, because the game doesn't just cut you off before you expose yourself like every other mgs- you'll get spotted as soon as one polygon passes the corner.

This might not be a big problem if you were able to very slowly move your character like in mgs 3 and 4, but it seems to be, you push the control stick 20% in the direction and nothing happens, push further to 40% and nothing happens, go to 60% and suddenly he just hurls himself forward. There seem to be only 2 speeds - half press and full press, and it's not very fun trying to slowly approach those corners when all I can seem to do is clumsily flick myself around.

There also seem to be a couple of strange bugs (ps3 version). Mostly when you're spotted, you can run away and hide, if they lose sight of you they'll go into search mode within a few minutes. Well sometimes they just keep firing at the place you were spotted. I snuck all the way around the base and watched from far behind their backs as they shot at nothing. Totally concealed. When all of a sudden, they immediately all knew where I was for no reason, and all came slowly running across the base towards my completely obscured location.... that was weird.

In spite of all this I think the engine really shows a lot of potential. You can tell it will really shine in an open-world context. I'm being critical because I want TPP to be as good as it can possibly be. As for story/Sutherland impressions, I will save it until everyone else has the game

hypotc

The uKnighted crew is doing a 100+ hour stream of every Metal gear game before GZ hits!

http://www.twitch.tv/uknighted

"(COUNTDOWN) 100+HR MGS SERIES MARATHON until MGS5:GZ hits!! Starting @ 10:30am EST! ALL 8 CANON B.BOSS/S.SNAKE GAMES IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER"

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Finished it. Pleased I never paid full retail for this and I hope other publishers don't follow suit by selling demos.

Anyone know if you can turn off the button prompts?

I believe you can. The options available are pretty extensive, you can basically disable the HUD completely if I'm not mistaken.

One thing that bothered me though was if you choose to invert X-Axis of the camera (which I like to do in third person free camera games) then it's also inverted in first person and while aiming... which is crazy and makes the option unusable. Some games offer a separate setting for aiming and third person camera, but not here.

Another thing, not sure if it's a bug or intentional, but if you throw magazines (empty bullet containers) to lure or distract enemies while you're far away then it doesn't work. Even if the magazine lands a foot away from the soldier he won't react unless you're hiding within a certain range from him.

This is PS3 version.

Top Bottom