• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

I believe you can. The options available are pretty extensive, you can basically disable the HUD completely if I'm not mistaken.

One thing that bothered me though was if you choose to invert X-Axis of the camera (which I like to do in third person free camera games) then it's also inverted in first person and while aiming... which is crazy and makes the option unsuable. Some games offer a separate setting for aiming and third person camera, but not here.

I think even Peace Walker had that :/

Another thing, not sure if it's a bug or intentional, but if you throw magazines (empty bullet containers) to lure or distract enemies while you're far away then it doesn't work. Even if the magazine lands a foot away from the soldier he won't react unless you're hiding within a certain range from him.

This is PS3 version.

Could be a mistake in AI optimisation? Checking soldiers near snake instead of near the noise source.

Anyone done with the PS4 version I will pay you $40 to send it priority mail small rate box today so that I get it on monday.

(I leave out of town tuesday so I would like to play it before I go)

I'm kinda sad the game is basically upresd 1080p60fs compared to the last-gen version.

metalgearsolidvgroundwbrhs.png

13069613343_67628bce1c_o.png

metalgearsolidvgrounddkrmy.png

13069059163_312e8b7eea_o.png

I hope Phantom Pain improves on the dithering that is present in all versions of GZ, and improve on the overall IQ. Nonetheless, still excited for this game.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
So after watching a bunch of playthroughs, I'm assuming this is the full control scheme (PS4)?

L2: Aim
R2: CQC / Fire weapon while aiming
L1: Call / Talk
R1: Binoculars
D-pad: quick select weapons and items... hold for full menu (?)
X: crouch / lay down
Square: Dive while moving (?)
O: Pick up weapons and bodies (?)
Triangle: Special actions like climbing
L3: Sprint

Is this accurate? Also, how customizable are the controls? I could've sworn I saw somebody using X as their Action Button, instead of triangle.

I'm kinda sad the game is basically upresd 1080p60fs compared to the last-gen version.

But it's not. The cutscenes might be (I gotta admit they look very impressive on PS3), but it's easy to see where corners had to be cut for in-game graphics on PS3 vs PS4 besides resolution and frame rate (most noticeably lighting and textures).

So after watching a bunch of playthroughs, I'm assuming this is the full control scheme (PS4)?

L2: Aim
R2: CQC / Fire weapon while aiming
L1: Call / Talk
R1: Binoculars
D-pad: quick select weapons and items... hold for full menu (?)
X: crouch / lay down
Square: Dive while moving (?)
O: Pick up weapons and bodies (?)
Triangle: Special actions like climbing
L3: Sprint

Is this accurate? Also, how customizable are the controls? I could've sworn I saw somebody using X as their Action Button, instead of triangle.

You can choose between 4 control types named: Action Type A, Action Type B, Shooter Type A, and Shooter Type B.

Which only affect the functions of the face buttons and R1. The rest is pretty much uncustomizable.

Mr. RHC

metalgearsolidvgrounddkrmy.png

I have a real problem with the tag here..
It should be the other way around at least since Peace Walker.
"Big Boss. A former hero once known by the code name "Snake".

Edit: If it is meant to be read like, yeah, we are looking back, this is Snake, known at the time of GZ as Big Boss, I guess it's fine then.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
You can choose between 4 control types named: Action Type A, Action Type B, Shooter Type A, and Shooter Type B.

Which only affect the functions of the face buttons and R1. The rest is pretty much uncustomizable.

I think that's right, also you can hold R3 to zoom/peek.
Thanks guys. Really can't wait to try it out myself.

Edit: If it is meant to be read like, yeah, we are looking back, this is Snake, known at the time of GZ as Big Boss, I guess it's fine then.

Think about where we are in his history and relation to the United States government, the ones that bestowed upon him the title of Big Boss, and you'll have your answer.

News Bot

Banned
Think about where we are in his history and relation to the United States government, the ones that bestowed upon him the title of Big Boss, and you'll have your answer.

I don't think you've played Peace Walker, haha. He willingly calls himself Big Boss at the end; no care for the fact that the government gave it to him.

I don't think you've played Peace Walker.

/shrug

I did, and at the end there is that moment where he says, "Yeah, that's right. From now on, call me Big Boss."

I'm just throwing that out there as a counterpoint to why the title card might say that. Or hell, it might just be so people remember he's Snake. Or maybe I'm just looking for something to argue about 'cause I'm stuck working over the weekend.

Just to clarify, he is 'formerly Code Named Big Boss' as he has defected and left the title, even if he is referred to it or prefers to go by it. Overly complicated histories, ho!

Megasoum

Banned
Yep, the next gen tax.

All right thanks.

Hmm not sure what'll do on tuesday. Since I'm in Canada I have a feeling that I'll be able to find a copy in store for less than the PSN price that will most likely be higher than 30$ here. ...hmmm. Well, wait and see I guess.

FrankWza

I don't think you've played Peace Walker, haha. He willingly calls himself Big Boss at the end; no care for the fact that the government gave it to him.

/shrug

I did, and at the end there is that moment where he says, "Yeah, that's right. From now on, call me Big Boss."

I'm just throwing that out there as a counterpoint to why the title card might say that. Or hell, it might just be so people remember he's Snake. Or maybe I'm just looking for something to argue about 'cause I'm stuck working over the weekend.

Yes. It should be Big Boss: a former hero known by code name snake. It's milking the snake name at this point. In game it would be cool if they made it where certain people call him snake but it should be Big Boss first at this point in the timeline.

FrankWza

/shrug

to clarify, he is 'formerly Code Named Big Boss' as he has defected and left the title, even if he is referred to it or prefers to go by it. Overly complicated histories, ho!

Ah, you threw this in after my quote. I see so it's "code named" = official U.S. government designation. So at this point in time he is classified as snake by the govt? weird since i thought he only had that code name for the one mission?

Ah, you threw this in after my quote. I see so it's "code named" = official U.S. government designation. So at this point in time he is classified as snake by the govt? weird since i thought he only had that code name for the one mission?

Wasn't he naked snake for the virtuous mission and operation snake eater? They were only a week apart though, so I guess your point stands

TheLight

I mean he technically doesn't have the codename of Big Boss since he left US. People switch it up calling him Snake, Boss, Big Boss, all throughout PW. Technically he is formerly formally Big Boss.

I think it should be Big Boss when he goes back to FOXHOUND and apparently makes up with America.

With regards to "Call me Big Boss", This part is a bit weird and confusing, I must admit. I assume this means that Snake has decided that he's better than his late mentor. Hence, he we won't surrender and put down his gun like she did.

So that tagline in GZ seems fine to me.

Spaghetti

well the game informer stuff from the other month mentioned that the name snake is mostly shaken off in the phantom pain, right?

maybe they're just trying to make further distinction between pre/during-ground zeroes big boss and post-ground zeroes big boss by enforcing the snake name.

I think it's just for the sake of audience recognition. If you look at Peace Walker his name depends on who is addressing him. Kaz calls him a combination of Snake and Boss, a lot of the MSF soldiers call him Vic Boss or just Boss, Chico calls him Boss/Snake, Coldman calls him Big Boss, etc.

If we really want to be completely thorough, it would be

John/Jack
The man once code named Naked Snake, who was then given the code name Big Boss, who then left the US Gov't and was Snake/Vic Boss/Big Boss and Legendary Soldier who founded MSF

And that makes for a terrible title card.

JayEH

Yes. It should be Big Boss: a former hero known by code name snake. It's milking the snake name at this point. In game it would be cool if they made it where certain people call him snake but it should be Big Boss first at this point in the timeline.

I think I agree with Tora here. He's no longer in contact with the US government so in their eyes he was once Big Boss. But... then again Snake was a code name given to him by Zero.

So it should actually say:

JACK

A former hero once known as Big Boss and before that Snake.

I don't know or care anymore at this point. Gotta love that convoluted plot!

Edit: Barely beaten by Tora! lol

I mean he technically doesn't have the codename of Big Boss since he left US. People switch it up calling him Snake, Boss, Big Boss, all throughout PW. Technically he is formerly formally Big Boss.

To be more accurate, certain people address him by different titles. Kaz mostly calls him Boss (since he's MSF's leader) and sometimes Snake, since that's the codename he prefers. Zadornov almost always calls him Big Boss. So do the guys at the Pentagon and Paz when she reveals herself as a Cipher agent.

To summarise, people from the outside refer to him as Big Boss, but people close to him address him as Boss or Snake.

Alienous

Big Boss is essentially his US military rank. So he's often referred to that by 'officials' and referred to as Snake by comrades.

He probably never really accepts the title because he doesn't think he's above The Boss, and he doesn't ally with America. So that's why he is "formerly" Big Boss, because that's a code name he abandoned. Until the end of
Peace Walker
... but Kojima's going to Kojima, I suppose.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
PS3:

metalgearsolidvgrounds1rfa.png

PS4:

I'm surprised everything down to where the light is bouncing off of snake is exactly the same, just running at different resolutions and frame rates.

The FOX engine seems to be really good for scaling between generations.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
PS3:

I'm surprised everything down to where the light is bouncing off of snake is exactly the same, just running at different resolutions and frame rates.

The game appears to have been made for previous generation consoles, and GZ is a way for Konami to get something out while Kojipro work on tailoring the Fox Engine for current gen consoles.

I honestly think the way all of this has been handled is really odd. Granted, I'll be there day one anyway.

Timu

PS3:

metalgearsolidvgrounds1rfa.png

PS4:

Holy crap, now I'm curious about the rest of the game.

FrankWza

I think it's just for the sake of audience recognition. If you look at Peace Walker his name depends on who is addressing him. Kaz calls him a combination of Snake and Boss, a lot of the MSF soldiers call him Vic Boss or just Boss, Chico calls him Boss/Snake, Coldman calls him Big Boss, etc.

If we really want to be completely thorough, it would be

John/Jack
The man once code named Naked Snake, who was then given the code name Big Boss, who then left the US Gov't and was Snake/Vic Boss/Big Boss and Legendary Soldier who founded MSF

And that makes for a terrible title card.
That would be rough. I think it's just Kojima using name recognition. I could have quoted about 6 or more posts that make sense too. It's just at this point I would think based on the end of PW he would be Big Boss especially given where we are heading in the timeline. And when these moments are referenced in past releases/future events he is Big Boss. But the whole point of in game name changing is cool when it comes from different characters that knew him at different points in his life too. damn!

MGS V isn't being released for PS3/Xbox 360, right?

No way. I don't know what they're saying but I can't see it. Especially with a 2015 release date.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Wow, and here I thought the main game wasn't going to be a cross-gen title. The Fox engine really looks like it's been put together for previous generation consoles. It's cool that there's so many different platforms to play the game on, but I now kinda doubt whether it will be able to take advantage of current generation capabilities to the fullest.

Really wish the Fox Engine was something they'd planned exclusively for current generation consoles. Now it's all in-between.
If I go back to playing MGS2 right now, it still looks great and can hold its own against PS3 games (including MGS4!). I hope MGS5 will be the same.

Alienous

That would be rough. I think it's just Kojima using name recognition. I could have quoted about 6 or more posts that make sense too. It's just at this point I would think based on the end of PW he would be Big Boss especially given where we are heading in the timeline. And when these moments are referenced in past releases/future events he is Big Boss. But the whole point of in game name changing is cool when it comes from different characters that knew him at different points in his life too. damn!

According to the official MGS timeline, Big Boss returns to FOXHOUND at some point (and, well, duh he has to). My theory is that Diamond Dogs is an offshoot of FOXHOUND (Foxhounds are dogs that hunt foxes) stationed in Africa. It would make sense for Big Boss to adopt the title then, when he is associated with an American government organization.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Releasing TPP on PS3/360 just seems silly and a waste of resources. 360 barely has anything going for it now, and by the time MGSV releases we'll be a good year or two into the new generation. What was coming out for the PS2 in 2008? Sports games and movie tie-ins.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Releasing TPP on PS3/360 just seems silly and a waste of resources. 360 barely has anything going for it now, and by the time MGSV releases we'll be a good year or two into the new generation. What was coming out for the PS2 in 2008? Sports games and movie tie-ins.

Persona 4, bro.

TheBoss1

Man, the wait for this game is unbearable! It's so hard to avoid the spoilers thread when I have to see it on the 1st page all the time.

MormaPope

Banned
We'll see in a years time.

The Phantom Pain is a 2015/2016 game. Despite the official line, I think they'll end up abandoning the last-gen versions. That's a lot of effort for a game of TPP supposed scale, + Metal Gear Online 3. I also think that the 60fps goal will be abandoned when Kojima & Co see games like The Division.

You really think they'll cancel those versions when they're this far along? That would be incredibly stupid, tons of time and money will be wasted. Not saying you have animosity for the last gen versions, but the hate for last gen games in general on Gaf is reaching toxic levels. Yet when a neat last gen game gets released, the amount of port begging for current gen versions is off the charts.

It is factual that more power in game hardware means more intricate game design, but that hasn't been the case when it comes to current gen only games. Good game design is good game design. I imagine when Persona 5 gets released a wave of "UGH, WHY ISN'T THIS ON PS4" comments will come.

Top Bottom