• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Definitive Experience Announced (GZ + NAIN STORY + DLC) 10/11

Since when does the man on fire wear a uniform?

Also please include Here's to You in the phantom pain's list of songs to play on your Walkman.

Parsnip

I guess I'm mostly just curious how they will handle the PC release, "pricing and content details confirmed at a later date" might mean a Steam "upgrade" bundle for existing owners.

Not that I'm going to buy it.

Mexen

Will wait for Supreme Experience which will include Survive. Based Konami.

Can they do any wrong? Altogether now... Cor-ner-Me,Cor-ner Me,Cor-ner-Me!

yuraya

I'm genuinely perplexed at anyone intending to pick this up. There is nothing new here, no improvements, nothing. You may as well print out a custom box and put the discs in there.

Konami is just preying on collectors here that cannot fight their addiction and treating it as a "free money" boost.

The game doesn't need any improvements. It was optimized and refined to the teeth. If anything Kojima probably booby trapped the game on his way out so if Konami tries to enhance/patch/upgrade/improve anything it will break everything.

Kazuhira

i've just noticed that the "V" logo is different here,it has an inverted triangle instead of a square.
Kinda resembles the logo from Survive tbh,just saying..

ElNarez

Banned
If you're not gonna have the smash cut from the helicopter crash at the end of Ground Zeroes to the opening of TPP, this release is worthless. It's a simple thing. It's all I want from this. You can do it Konami. Don't fuck it up.

I'm genuinely perplexed at anyone intending to pick this up. There is nothing new here, no improvements, nothing. You may as well print out a custom box and put the discs in there.

Konami is just preying on collectors here that cannot fight their addiction and treating it as a "free money" boost.
Do you understand that not everyone already has the game?

KyleCross

I can't believe they ruined this beautiful poster art with all of that awful clutter.

Wait, yes I can.
You mean the games logo that has to be there? The ESRB rating that has to be there? The publisher logo that has to be there? The only "extra" thing added is the box in the upper left that details a review score and the contents of this new package. This is a perfectly fine cover.

Ducktail

LMAO at the 3Ds cover. I can't possibly imagine how someone on their right mind would conceive this.

I wish we had a documentary depicting a work day at Konami. It must be nightmarish nowadays.

I miss Yoji Shinkawa's covers:

121415-metal-gear-solid-the-essential-collection-playstation-other.png

JackelZXA

If you're not gonna have the smash cut from the helicopter crash at the end of Ground Zeroes to the opening of TPP, this release is worthless. It's a simple thing. It's all I want from this. You can do it Konami. Don't fuck it up.

Ground Zeroes has the Side Ops, Chico's Tapes, XOF Patches, and Quiz Shows! You gotta keep those.

The Community Manager went into great detail on how it works. Basically on the Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain Main Menu Screens you have an option to switch games. I imagine if you have a fresh save file you can play ground zeroes and then switch over whenever you want and it'll just cut into "Just Another Day in a War without end."

Ground Zeroes has the Side Ops, Chico's Tapes, XOF Patches, and Quiz Shows! You gotta keep those.

The Community Manager went into great detail on how it works. Basically on the Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain Main Menu Screens you have an option to switch games. I imagine if you have a fresh save file you can play ground zeroes and then switch over whenever you want and it'll just cut into "Just Another Day in a War without end."

Bleh, it seems better just to have digital versions of both games.

That way you can load each game separately without having to boot up either one just to switch from the main menu.

That would just be super awkward and badly paced.

It's best to consider GZ and TPP as separate altogether. It would be really odd to play an opening mission like GZ and then jump into a slow opening like TPP.

J.EM1

Just read the Q&A tweets from Konami's Community Manager. He said our current TPP saves should work and GZ/TPP can be switched from the main menu.

-Horizon-

Glad I waited. Game industry needs to stop putting review scores on the covers though. Makes it look tacky. Actual artwork is really good though. Made it my phone's wallpaper.

ElNarez

Banned
That would just be super awkward and badly paced.

It's best to consider GZ and TPP as separate altogether. It would be really odd to play an opening mission like GZ and then jump into a slow opening like TPP.

I mean yeah, that's the point. The way in which it is super jarring, would, I think, play into the themes and ideas of MGSV.

Well, mission 51 was already completely storyboarded out and had cutscenes that were partially complete. So if Konami released mission(s) based off that it would still be like Kojima was behind it. I would definitely play that.

But I agree about needing to just let go. I DO think there should have been at least a small blurb in the credits about what happened to Liquid. People will compare it to Liquid's fate being ambiguous in MGS2 but that never claimed to be a missing link nor was it an interquel, so that dropped plot point sticks out like a sore thumb. You pretty much have to watch the mission 51 development video to know how MGSV wraps up lol
I don't really get this. Mission 51 doesn't wrap up anything, it leaves off with Eli stranded on an island. There's still a billion unanswered questions but really, we kind of know what happens anyway. Actually we know exactly what happens seeing where the 'actual' ending of the game leaves off lol. I really do not get why people need every single moment between v and metal gear one chronicled in interactive game form. Mission 51 would have been nice but by no means would it have been some definitive wrap up that fixes any perceived problems with mgsv

Blader

I don't really get this. Mission 51 doesn't wrap up anything, it leaves off with Eli stranded on an island. There's still a billion unanswered questions but really, we kind of know what happens anyway. Actually we know exactly what happens seeing where the 'actual' ending of the game leaves off lol. I really do not get why people need every single moment between v and metal gear one chronicled in interactive game form. Mission 51 would have been nice but by no means would it have been some definitive wrap up that fixes any perceived problems with mgsv

Yeah, I feel like chapter 51 is just about as inconclusive as Eli's last actual appearance in the game was.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Its basically an incomplete version of a deleted scene. The assumption that it was cut for anything other than creative reasons simply comes from Kojima/Konami divorce, which is something that both parties have been resolutely silent about - so its all conjecture.

More to the point, if there was any real will to re/include it, they wouldn't have shown it in a reconstructed form on the blu/ray. Its a curiosity, not a necessity.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I don't really get this. Mission 51 doesn't wrap up anything

Except for the destruction of the Metal Gear (thus preventing it from being seen by the public and enraging Cold War tensions which Miller was freaking out about) and the destruction of the last vocal cord parasite that Mantis steals from Skullface.

I agree with you that we don't need anything explained regarding what happens between MGSV and the larger Metal Gear saga as a whole. We know what happens. But Mission 51 wraps up everything that MGSV introduced. Without this mission, why even have a third strain of the parasite? It's pointless, which indeed it is in the product we have today.

JackelZXA

Umh, it seems not even sure. I mean, that "should" doesn't sound so definitive.
Plus the fact he didn't know if both games come in a single disc because of regions...dunno. It's sad when the official Twitter account can't give precise anwers for a product they are releasing the next month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivLUEU4Q-Us the community manager's own twitter is where most of the answers came from in a definitive fashion. (Most of them in response to my own tweets!) :D

It is one disc and you can switch games from each game's title screen.

Except for the destruction of the Metal Gear (thus preventing it from being seen by the public and enraging Cold War tensions which Miller was freaking out about) and the destruction of the last vocal cord parasite that Mantis steals from Skullface.

I agree with you that we don't need anything explained regarding what happens between MGSV and the larger Metal Gear saga as a whole. We know what happens. But Mission 51 wraps up everything that MGSV introduced. Without this mission, why even have a third strain of the parasite? It's pointless, which indeed it is in the product we have today.

Yeah like...finding out about eli and mantis is one loose end that you can assume from later games, but sahelanthropus (which is a walking nuke) and the 2nd english strain (as well as poor pequod #893) require additional contexts that don't yet exist. They don't go anywhere after mgsv's cliffhanger ending, and while foxdie and rex bear similarities in design, there are still gaps and the lingering question of the explicit danger that the 2nd english strain presents. After the cutscene Ocelot says they'll keep looking for them and let you know if they find anything. It was removed and the lingering threads weren't patched up.

That was probably a plotline that would have made itself into MGS6.

Let's be real here, they have done this before. Liquid (before retcon) fucks off with a Metal Gear at the end of MGS2, and you never hear from him again until MGS4 came. All the information brought up about the patriots and Liquid's goals are unanswered and left to be revealed in a sequel.

I don't think anyone at Kojima Productions had the idea that they would stop making Metal Gear games during the development of MGSV. They scrapped mission 51 assuming they would have time to give it proper closure in a sequel. However, they ended up getting closed down close to the game's release. The only reason we're seeing that unfinished 51 stuff is because they got closed down. If KojiPro was still with Konami, that stuff would never have reached public eyes.

JackelZXA

That was probably a plotline that would have made itself into MGS6.

Let's be real here, they have done this before. Liquid (before retcon) fucks off with a Metal Gear at the end of MGS2, and you never hear from him again until MGS4 came. All the information brought up about the patriots and Liquid's goals are unanswered and left to be revealed in a sequel.

I don't think anyone at Kojima Productions had the idea that they would stop making Metal Gear games during the development of MGSV. They scrapped mission 51 assuming they would have time to give it proper closure in a sequel. However, they ended up getting closed down close to the game's release. The only reason we're seeing that unfinished 51 stuff is because they got closed down. If KojiPro was still with Konami, that stuff would never have reached public eyes.

The weird thing though is that Ocelot still has dialog after the mission that implies you'll wrap it up by the end of the game. He says they haven't found Eli or the Pilot and that he will keep looking for them and let you know if anything turns up.

That cover art edit is real good.

Ludens

Banned
It's only on one disc. Our UK team was unsure about all regions but we confirmed it's a single disc for every region.

Nice, thanks a lot, a friend is looking to get MGSV, at this point he'll just wait one month so he can get the full package. Any info about how DLCs are handled? Are they on disc too (so you don't need to redeem stuff on PSN/Live? Not that is too important, it's just a curiosity of mine).

Also important question: will PC owners of TPP+GZ+all dlcs get the new version for free, considering there are dlcs never released?

J.EM1

Any info about how DLCs are handled? Are they on disc too (so you don't need to redeem stuff on PSN/Live? Not that is too important, it's just a curiosity of mine).
I'm guessing it will be either all DLC on the disc or separate codes in the packaging: Day One Edition code and Collector's Edition code or one code altogether.

Ludens

Banned
I'm guessing it will be either all DLC on the disc or separate codes in the packaging: Day One Edition code and Collector's Edition code or one code altogether.

But that Q&A in Twitter reports they are all on disc, I just wanted a confirmation.

Erigu

But that Q&A in Twitter reports they are all on disc, I just wanted a confirmation.
Yeah, what I really want to know is if I'll (finally) be able to get the preorder DLC I'm currently missing (since those were never put up for sale on the Japanese PlayStation Store). Will I be able to keep using my current save and have access to that missing DLC?
I'm a bit worried there's going to be catch somewhere... Like the Definitive Experience will be considered its own separate game so it will screw everything up, or something like that...

Ludens

Banned
Yeah, what I really want to know is if I'll (finally) be able to get the preorder DLC I'm currently missing (since those were never put up for sale on the Japanese PlayStation Store). Will I be able to keep using my current save and have access to that missing DLC?
I'm a bit worried there's going to be catch somewhere... Like the Definitive Experience will be considered its own separate game so it will screw everything up, or something like that...

If I'm not wrong I read you can use your save on the Q&A, but I can't remember and I cant check it now.

Erigu

If I'm not wrong I read you can use your save on the Q&A, but I can't remember and I cant check it now.
Let's hope so. But if the DLC is now on-disc (so... not considered DLC anymore?), won't that cause some problems? How will they handle the special staff members, for example?
I wish I could trust Konami with this, but at this point in time...

REDSLATE

Wow I feel pretty dumb for buying GZ on PSN for $5 awhile back. sony won't refund it even if I've never installed it right? I'd rather buy this instead.
Why do you feel dumb for buying Ground Zeros at $5 (the lowest it's been)? And, why would you rather buy both games together for $50 when Phantom Pain goes for as little as $20 (hell, Amazon has it for $26)? Paying double would be "dumb."

Neiteio

This may be the first time I double-dip on a game for the same system. I just need to fully confirm it's all on one disk (TPP + GZ + DLC), and fully confirm that it works with my existing saves for both games. I'll wait for GAF's confirmation first. I know Konami's Twitter rep has confirmed it, but I'll still wait for GAF to verify.

I should note, the DLC will be all new to me (I really want the different costumes), and the box art is amazing. :-O

Ludens

Banned
This may be the first time I double-dip on a game for the same system. I just need to fully confirm it's all on one disk (TPP + GZ + DLC), and fully confirm that it works with my existing saves for both games. I'll wait for GAF's confirmation first. I know Konami's Twitter rep has confirmed it, but I'll still wait for GAF to verify.

I should note, the DLC will be all new to me (I really want the different costumes), and the box art is amazing. :-O

What do you mean? Popsicle is the Konami PR, he confirmed both here and on the official Twitter, so I'm sure the source is reliable on this.

Top Bottom