• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT| The Man Who Sold The World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamina777

Banned
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
No midnight release for my gamestop..
And here I was thinking I'd be playing at 12 am.

It seems this is the case with way too many gamestops, this should have been one of the most pre ordered games of the year. I'm sure all the negative news (misinformed or otherwise )especially on youtube , had a healthy hand in the hesitation.

Plasma

Banned
I just finished mission
that was probably one of the
worst boss fights in an MGS game, those skull units are just no fun to fight whatsoever.

Yeah pretty sure that's been the case with every mgo so you're probably right. Hopefully there is some option for private matches with friends.

I mean the game is Steamworks enabled, so they could probably activate VAC bans? But I guess they won't for the sake of console parity or some other bullshit excuse like that. I literally have zero expectations of Konami at this point, haha. Am I being too bitter or is it completely justified? Hard to tell.

GeekMarty

Recently, on Kojima's Twitter
1My6RxW.jpg

Auctopus

This is VERY ALARMING if true man. I am fine with the game being massive and the story being more broken up, but I am here for the story continuation of the series, not very little story and lots of random gameplay. This post alone brings my hype level down.

It will be divisive for certain.

As I mentioned on the last page, this is THE BEST playing MGS ever made. When you find yourself in the middle of village or settlement and you find the perfect, stealthy route to your target then it's wonderful.

Whilst the cutscenes/story are sparser than usual, what you get from them is excellent. However, the way they're presented is slightly confusing and staggered. There is one 'narrative mechanic' (for want of a better term) i.e. a way they present some of the story developments that I know some people are going to absolutely hate. I do. If anyone is wondering what it is, I can PM them.

I just finished mission
that was probably one of the
worst boss fights in an MGS game, those skull units are just no fun to fight whatsoever.

Yeah, I don't think you can even constitute is a boss battle.
Did you just shoot them down? I had Quiet doing some extra damage which helped.

Unlocked Africa (after 37 hours) today and the atmosphere and graphics (especially when it rains) are insane in this area.In my opinion, it's the most impressive looking game this gen, Fox engine is a beast. Did the the first mission in Africa and it was awesome, but it took me more than 30 hours to unclock a silence sniper and fultonning enemies to raise motherbase forces ranks (to develop new items) gets repetitive and one more thing, you will return to some areas again and again to finish operations, it's not a big problem (the level design is superb), but I would rather have more areas.

Just cross posting this from the MB Coins Pricing thread, this sucks but is not exactly a surpise given Konami.

Guys, I'm looking at the official guide I got today and it states the following:

You must be online to build FOBs. Your first FOB is free of charge.
Additional FOBs must be purchased with MB Coins, aqquired through microtransactions with real-life money.

Theres nothing about earning them ingame from what I can see.

Image from the guide:

Let me know if I need to take it down for being a scan:

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
I just finished the game.. I just finished the last of my favorite franchise, the last one that counts. Fuck.

I just called my Gamestop to see if they were doing a midnight release...

Clerk said they're actually doing a release at 11PM to support a "Global Lauch."

FUCK YES. When I originally preordered a couple weeks ago they said they weren't because there weren't enough preorders but... Apparently that changed. HYPE!

Central IL, USA btw.

XaosWolf

Metal Gear Solid - Phantom Grenade

Spoilering just in case but its nothing anywhere near story related:
Got on alert in one of the bases and everyone was at the farther end of the base to me. Hide in a toilet. Grenade lands next in front if the door and blows it apart.
THERE WAS NO ONE NEARBY. D=<

SkylineRKR

It will be divisive for certain.

As I mentioned on the last page, this is THE BEST playing MGS ever made. When you find yourself in the middle of village or settlement and you find the perfect, stealthy route to your target then it's wonderful.

Whilst the cutscenes/story are sparser than usual, what you get from them is excellent. However, the way they're presented is slightly confusing and staggered. There is one 'narrative mechanic' (for want of a better term) i.e. a way they present some of the story developments that I know some people are going to absolutely hate. I do. If anyone is wondering what it is, I can PM them.

The gameplay is good but still not quite there imo. I still have issues with elevation and the cover system isn't as direct as TR and TLoU. Its still a bit 'MGS clunky'. The shooting is just okay, I'm not its biggest fan but to me MGS has always been about taking out enemies with CQC anyway.

It is however the best playing MGS game, no doubt.

Trumpets

SkylineRKR said:
There is barely cutscenes. The ridiculousness of classic MG has been massively toned down. Then there is the FOB and pay stuff. I figure some fans of classic MGS will hate this, and its lack of soul in a lot of the missions. Hayter probably hates it too.

I'm only about five hours in but this is pretty much how I feel about it TBH. I always liked the ridiculous story, the hours of often pointless dialogue and the long cutscenes, and this has all been missing so far. Audio tapes are fine but they appear to be carrying the story burden for the whole game.

I was fine with Hayter being replaced initially, but if it has come at the expense of Snake actually saying more than the odd word then I think that's a real shame. Yes the actual game plays better than it ever did, but they seem to have thrown away so much about the series that I liked.

Naked Lunch

Played thru Ground Zeroes last night in preparation. I wasnt able to do a full series replay this summer sadly - GZ only will have to do. I will be replaying the entire series till I cant play games anymore.

Spazznid

Are people still confusing story for cutscenes?

To be honest, there was quite a bit of story in the cassettes in Peace Walker as well as Ground Zeroes, and from what I've heard and seen, it looks like The Phantom Pain will be following suit.

In fact, from a lot of the impressions, people have been saying that there a mega tapes to be found, and they are well done.

If you don't like that, then you're a tad late, since it's been that way for two games now.

Hideo Kojima decides what is or isn't right for Metal Gear, and no you don't have to like it, and Kojima stated multiple times that it was his intention to cut down on a lot of the mandatory story and make a lot of it optional. This allows newcomers not to have to sit through hours of story that they wont understand, but still allowing oldies like us to get our fix.

Is anyone else having a problem where Quiet just doesnt follow you in missions?

She just stays in one place and doesnt move :(

Take out your idroid and go to where the buddy thing is and be sure to control Quiet as in tell her where to go for scouting as well as attacking, there are pre-set places for you to put her in. She won't follow you always if you go too far.

ger

Neo Member
I just called my Gamestop to see if they were doing a midnight release...

Clerk said they're actually doing a release at 11PM to support a "Global Lauch."

FUCK YES. When I originally preordered a couple weeks ago they said they weren't because there weren't enough preorders but... Apparently that changed. HYPE!

Central IL, USA btw.

Is this for preorders only or do they do walk-ins as well?

Anth0ny

Mission 16 is such fucking bullshit.

I've been really enjoying this game and being able to play it exactly how I want, now I'm at this dumb ass piece of shit mission and it just feels broken. Anyone else had similar troubles? I've resorted to explosives and LMGs, but it's still fucking stupid.

yeah that shit was crazy

I finished it by
killing all of them using both a grenade launcher and a rocket launcher. had to call for more ammo like 5 times. I feel like I kinda got lucky as the crazy ninja dudes just ran around a lot and didn't shoot me that much. on other attempts, they just shot the fuck out of me and that was that.

it really does feel like the difficulty in this game spikes at random times. the mission where you
have to find huey
also kicked my ass after I was having a pretty easy time with the game up to that point.

Kamina777

Banned
Are people still confusing story for cutscenes?

To be honest, there was quite a bit of story in the cassettes in Peace Walker as well as Ground Zeroes, and from what I've heard and seen, it looks like The Phantom Pain will be following suit.

In fact, from a lot of the impressions, people have been saying that there a mega tapes to be found, and they are well done.

If you don't like that, then you're a tad late, since it's been that way for two games now.

Hideo Kojima decides what is or isn't right for Metal Gear, and no you don't have to like it, and Kojima stated multiple times that it was his intention to cut down on a lot of the mandatory story and make a lot of it optional. This allows newcomers not to have to sit through hours of story that they wont understand, but still allowing oldies like us to get our fix.
I appreciate that it allows us to play the story as we're sneaking or causing carnage. I hate games that only play story logs in the menu.

Seeing how many cautios or dissapointing impressions from fans are for this game I don't understand why there's not a single 7 from reviews, the same happened with MGS 4 though.

XaosWolf

For those of you about to play, PLEASE look out for the orange loading platforms in each base you visit. Make it one of your main missions.

Is this for preorders only or do they do walk-ins as well?

I didn't ask that specifically since I preordered, but they're doing a "come pay off your game at 8:30PM" thing so I'd imagine they'd have some quantity that they'd allow walk-ins to come in and get. Not sure when they actually cut off proper "preorders," since technically giving them your money even hours before release is preordering it. I'd call your local shop to confirm though, I'd hate for you to make a fruitless trip on my account :\

MMaRsu

Banned
Mission 16 was easy. B ranked it on my first try. I didnt kill anyone at all or blow anything up. Just crawled up the vehicles and extracted them all. Make sure to wear animal camo!

Dazzyman

I'm only about five hours in but this is pretty much how I feel about it TBH. I always liked the ridiculous story, the hours of often pointless dialogue and the long cutscenes, and this has all been missing so far. Audio tapes are fine but they appear to be carrying the story burden for the whole game.

I was fine with Hayter being replaced initially, but if it has come at the expense of Snake actually saying more than the odd word then I think that's a real shame. Yes the actual game plays better than it ever did, but they seem to have thrown away so much about the series that I liked.

I did the prologue and loved this, then I did mission 1 and was a bit sad as I know the game isn't very story driven. I'm not as engrossed as with the others in the series and now about 6hrs in. It reminds me of a cut down MGS which makes me sad. The gameplay is alright but I feel its going to get repetitive without a big story to break it up with.

So far got me it's disappointing after mgs4.

I kinda worry a little about the whole tape thing, I don't mind listening but I don't want to stand around for minutes at a time listening to them. MGS is one of those games where I need all my wits about me so I don't think I can gallivant about whilst listening to them without getting gunned down.

I also had issues with the mission....
I cheesed it by getting a checkpoint where I was approaching the door of the truck, which triggered the Skulls.... then I still died about 10 times because I was so annoyed I didn't think to use the tanks.

The game implied you can take the truck and escape, but I can't see how that's possible.

That's basically how I did. I basically had a checkpoint approaching the camp so I ran there to trigger the cutscene with the skulls, fulton'd the truck, and ran the fuck for my life to the end of the mission boundary.

Sakujou

Banned
Seeing how many cautios or dissapointing impressions from fans are for this game I don't understand why there's not a single 7 from reviews, the same happened with MGS 4 though.

maybe most reviewers want to show that kojima is able to save the industry, even if its not with mgs5.

mgs4 hasnt done anything good, its a good game, but thats it.

i also dont know how this game gets good grades....
BUT

i LOVE mgs. i always bought every game on launch (except for the psp games).

i love the super fucked up (japanesey) story.

So i've really been looking forward to the motherbase stuff, but im kind of confused at this point. Are there seperate bases for offline/online?

Gaz_RB

So i've really been looking forward to the motherbase stuff, but im kind of confused at this point. Are there seperate bases for offline/online?

There is Mother Base, which is purely offline, and then you can get FOBs, which are online and susceptible to attack by other players. These FOBs generate more resources for your Mother Base. And you get one for free, but more FOBs cost real life money.

There is Mother Base, which is purely offline, and then you can get FOBs, which are online and susceptible to attack by other players. These FOBs generate more resources for your Mother Base. And you get one for free, but more FOBs cost real life money.

THANK YOU! That clears up everything for me. Looking forward to picking this up tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom