• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT| The Man Who Sold The World

Status
Not open for further replies.

teknix

Neo Member
There is Mother Base, which is purely offline, and then you can get FOBs, which are online and susceptible to attack by other players. These FOBs generate more resources for your Mother Base. And you get one for free, but more FOBs cost real life money.

Kojima was trying to warn us this whole time. All the missing limbs in this game was Kojima hinting that FOBs would cost an arm and a leg.

Majora

Seeing how many cautios or dissapointing impressions from fans are for this game I don't understand why there's not a single 7 from reviews.

Probably because the reviewers are actually able to appreciate the fact that this is the best open-world, emergent stealth game ever made, whilst fans seem to be more interested in wringing their hands that they won't be spending most of their time watching hours of ridiculous cutscenes. In fact, most reviewers are probably actually relieved that they weren't a passive spectator for the majority of this one.

maybe most reviewers want to show that kojima is able to save the industry, even if its not with mgs5.

mgs4 hasnt done anything good, its a good game, but thats it.

i also dont know how this game gets good grades....
BUT

i LOVE mgs. i always bought every game on launch (except for the psp games).

i love the super fucked up (japanesey) story.

I bought it, waiting for the unlock but I feel like it's a sin to score a MG game lower than an 9. I went in for MGS 4 expecting the second coming and it turned out to be one of the or the worst in the main franchise. Then I read articles months or years later "what didn't work in MGS4" fuck you man, you gave the game a 10 at that time...

And, if the game is anything like the impression from people here, I don't understand how you can get a 10 from MGS 4, and a 10 from MGS 5... I'll know when I play it I supose, it sucks to be in the waiting line. -_-

MMaRsu

Banned
Lol I knew the servers wouldnt be up yet..fuxking Konami.

Guys make sure to sevelop the animal camo as soon as you get the chance. While its ugly as sin enemies have a real hard time spotting you in it.

Gaz_RB

Kojima was trying to warn us this whole time. All the missing limbs in this game was Kojima hinting that FOBs would cost an arm and a leg.

The true meaning behind "The Phantom Pain" has finally been revealed.

Guys make sure to sevelop the animal camo as soon as you get the chance. While its ugly as sin enemies have a real hard time spotting you in it.

Does it make me look like a zebra?

Harmen

I appreciate that it allows us to play the story as we're sneaking or causing carnage. I hate games that only play story logs in the menu.
This is why I am not as bothered with it as with PW (still, I liked the actual conversations). Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved codec stuff, but I have no qualms with conversations being recorded and picking your own logical time to listen to it.

Not far in to the game, but I am hoping it is more of a case of the information being presented differently and more spread out over a massive game than there not being much story.

Marvel

could never

Yeah I got it, think it's rather sexy myself, lol.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
This game man. While there are fewer cutscenes, the quality of them are just freaking immaculate. Kojima and co. improved a lot in their cutscene direction.

I am completely in love with this game, it's going to take ages to beat this game, but I'm gonna enjoy every single second of it.

Probably because the reviewers are actually able to appreciate the fact that this is the best open-world, emergent stealth game ever made, whilst fans seem to be more interested in wringing their hands that they won't be spending most of their time watching hours of ridiculous cutscenes. In fact, most reviewers are probably actually relieved that they weren't a passive spectator for the majority of this one.

Even then, the crazy shit is still there, imo and I love the first 4 to death. It's just that they are spread out now.

Juicy Bob

Lol. I think I just had a major cutscene glitch.

Could anyone who has finished Episode 12 just tell me
if Dr Emmerich also appeared invisible as a pair of floating glasses when Snake meets him in the facility with the AI Pod and walker gear for the first time?

Marvel

could never

if Dr Emmerich also appeared invisible as a pair of floating glasses when Snake meets him in the facility with the AI Pod and walker gear for the first time?
Er no, lol that's a glitch. Was fine for me.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
Should I just cancel my Steam pre-order and start preloading on PSN?

Seems like all this timing business is completely up in the air.

usp84

Anyone have a link to the song that plays in the intro when
ocelot and bis boss are riding the horse to the ship?
Really good

So far what an amazing game!

So I found out something funny related to the birth date you set for Big Boss.
I set my date for September 1st (my own birthday.) After completing a mission I got a call from Miller that there was an emergency. So I head back to Mother Base, nobody there. Suddenly fireworks start going off and Miller and the crew come out with a birthday cake for Big Boss. Thought it was an awesome touch haha. (Finished the mission about about 10 past 12, it's September 1st here now.) Also when you walk past troops they wish you a happy birthday!

Nzyme32

Should I just cancel my Steam pre-order and start preloading on PSN?

Seems like all this timing business is completely up in the air.

If you don't care what platform you are playing it on, surely it is common sense to go with the version that is releasing first - ie the PS4 / Xbox One versions via retail (I think). The Steam version only mention the idea of being released early relatively recently, otherwise it is always expected to see a release at the usual time the store page indicates, often the same time as the steam store does it's big update for the day. Depending on your time-zone, it would almost always be later by a few hours

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
So I found out something funny related to the birth date you set for Big Boss.
I set my date for September 1st (my own birthday.) After completing a mission I got a call from Miller that there was an emergency. So I head back to Mother Base, nobody there. Suddenly fireworks start going off and Miller and the crew come out with a birthday cake for Big Boss. Thought it was an awesome touch haha. (Finished the mission about about 10 past 12, it's September 1st here now.) Also when you walk past troops they wish you a happy birthday!

That is awesome.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
If you don't care what platform you are playing it on, surely it is common sense to go with the version that is releasing first - ie the PS4 / Xbox One versions via retail (I think). The Steam version only mention the idea of being released early relatively recently, otherwise it is always expected to see a release at the usual time the store page indicates, often the same time as the steam store does it's big update for the day. Depending on your time-zone, it would almost always be later by a few hours

Yeah, I decided to pick up the PS4 digital version and cancel the Steam preorder. I'd prefer to be guaranteed that the game will work - I'll grab the PC version probably once it's confirmed that it's a solid port.

Now, PSN - do me a solid and max out my connection!!

Jamie OD

That did not happen to me. What did happen was enemies appearing in front of me but not attacking. I guess we both went through separate glitches.

Auctopus

How essential is it to have additional FOBs? If it's important, I'm would be really ticked off.

Not at all. They give you the first one for free so you can invade/be invaded and the rest is just to boost up development time. I'm about 3/4 of the way through the story and haven't found a reason to build a single one yet.

Panda Rin

Not at all. They give you the first one for free so you can invade/be invaded and the rest is just to boost up development time. I'm about 3/4 of the way through the story and haven't found a reason to build a single one yet.

Ah, okay...so the Gamespot article was mostly correct then. I would understand them giving players a way to speed up development...to me that's not too bad, but with how much they're charging? It's ridiculous.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member

Also, isn't there only 1 trophy related to the FOBs that can be attained from the first base? I think that's the case, and for some reason that makes it better in my mind.

I'd be pissed if I had to shell out (more) money to 100% the game (DLC not included)

tumblr_ntpu6vPdxx1rzzj2xo1_400.gif

Aw shit, it's almost here.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
So how was the ending and the story in general? no spoilers obviously just general impression.
I'll just say I really liked the story, but it's not as good as I'd hoped.

Also, after thinking about this for a while, this is how I'd rank the series:

MGS3 > MGS > MGS2 > MGSV > MGS4

It's funny how this MGS is so.. different, but it doesn't change the fact that it's still hell of a game, the best I've played in years, just.. not as good as the first three IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom