• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT| The Man Who Sold The World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Wooh, 4 hours until download. And then I'll be gone all day tomorrow, so if I do get to play, it will be really late. :(

nOoblet16

The honeymoon period is over, hours before release.

Edit: 23 hours? You must've blown through the game (must play missions only) considering a lot of people have said they were at like 5 - 10% at that point.

You cannot not do (yes I know double negative) most of the missions while playing the game, because main missions make up for the bulk of the gameplay. Side mission take 5 minutes or so to do each.

I've played around 20 hours and I am around 23% total completion.

LOL gotta love gaf. A person says they hate it, next thing you know everyone will (mgs4)

I'm so hyped for the levels of salt we will see when this game gets the GOTY awards.

imo it's really good but it overstays it's welcome. TLOU understands pacing and brevity very well, something which Kojima could stand to learn from :p

Well, at least you don't know what's going to happen in MGSV. TLoU opening was so predictable that it killed it for me.

Aurongel

Big Boss is approaching...

byyen9pigaamfp3.jpglabns1x.jpg

Can't wait.

7am and I got my new PS4, CE and hardcover guide.
Installed spare SSD. Upgraded.
Played first 15 of intro.

Now at work. Should have called in sick. Sick of reality.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
IWell, at least you don't know what's going to happen in MGSV. TLoU opening was so predictable that it killed it for me.

Yeah, the TLOU opening was great but the moment the first shot showed up on my screen, I knew where this was headed.

jiggles

Banned
There's a mission a good bit in to the story, that's not really story related, so I can describe it a little without spoiling anything. I'll still put it in tags, but it doesn't spoil anything.

Anyway, this mission.
Two of your Intel team need rescued in Africa. One has already escaped, whereabouts unknown, while the other is still held captive in a mud ditch "cell" within the camp.

The setup of having to evade a manhunt for the first guy while trying to gather clues to hunt him down yourself was thrilling. But after I found him, I failed the mission. See, when I extracted the first guy, this huge thunderstorm rolled in, and the guy in the mud ditch with his hands bound suddenly died. HE FUCKING DROWNED IN THE DOWNPOUR

Unbelievable. This game, guys. THIS GAME

cackhyena

There's a mission a good bit in to the story, that's not really story related, so I can describe it a little without spoiling anything. I'll still put it in tags, but it doesn't spoil anything.

Anyway, this mission.
Two of your Intel team need rescued in Africa. One has already escaped, whereabouts unknown, while the other is still held captive in a mud ditch "cell" within the camp.

The setup of having to evade a manhunt for the first guy while trying to gather clues to hunt him down yourself was thrilling. But after I found him, I failed the mission. See, when I extracted the first guy, this huge thunderstorm rolled in, and the guy in the mud ditch with his hands bound suddenly died. HE FUCKING DROWNED IN THE DOWNPOUR

Unbelievable. This game, guys. THIS GAME
Fuuuck, that is neat.

Harmen

I constantly see people mentioning the percentage as to how massive this game is, but isn't a lot of that just ranks, MB development, side-ops and whatnot? Just completing the main mission in Ground Zeroes was like 6% for example, Isn't that the case here? No doubt SP is long though.

Broank

Man this game had the worst timing coming out for me.

Had the last 3 days off so I went around to every store I could seeing if I could get it early with no luck. They even had it in the case this morning at one Walmart but when the clerk rung it up it couldn't be sold till tomorrow. Now I have to work the rest of the week and I really have a lot to get done so I can't really call in. Won't be able to really dig in till maybe Saturday or Sunday. ugh..

gdt

I won't be able to play until tomorrow after work 😔

Gonna try to get home early as possible though. It's gonna be hard as hell reading gaf all day.

SkylineRKR

If i'm honest, I think MGS3 (Subsistence or HD) is still the best MGS.

MGS:V has the best gameplay and most content for sure, but also a lot of padding and WRPG tropes.

MGS3, at the time it came out, was ridiculously detailed. A lot of it was hidden by standard definition and the shitty camera in vanilla, but damn. I replayed HD a few years ago and was amazed. MGS V just doesn't have the stuff like Snake v Boss on a flowerfield and a battle like vs The End.

I constantly see people mentioning the percentage as to how massive this game is, but isn't a lot of that just ranks, MB development, side-ops and whatnot? Just completing the main mission in Ground Zeroes was like 6% for example, Isn't that the case here? No doubt SP is long though.

the % isn't very indicative of "main" story progress, no. A lot of people "beat" the game before they hit
50%

npa189

This has been asked a million times I'm sure, but the Steam download is 28gb correct? going by my math skills I will be playing at 10:30 then.

artsi

Yeah it's probably that.

Anyway I spent almost 20 hours 100%ing GZ, so I don't want to know how much I will spend on MGSV including FOB and MGO, lol.

After 23 hours of BORING ANNOYING playtime.... MGS5 hold the place of the most disappointment game of all time.... congratulation, MGS5 stole the throne from FFXIII.

Oh man I don't like this. I think I'm going to ask for a Steam refund or something. I can't believe MGSV is boring that fast. I guess I'll just wait for Fallout 4 or Persona 5.

Ame

I get why some people may not like it in comparison to games like MGS 1,2 or 3. I still miss the more linear, filled with crazy cutscenes roller coaster ride type story progression of the older MGS games, but MGSV's gameplay is so satisfying and fun. You forget about that as soon as you start playing, at least I did. There's so much to do and see, you don't wanna stop playing. The cool story cutscenes are still there, they're just spread apart more between missions.

Because of one dude's opinion?

Yeah. I can't believe someone doesn't like MGSV. It's supposed to be the GOTF. IGN gave it a 10. The dude from Star Wars bought a copy this is a big disappoint smh. I'm gonna try it tonight but I will refund it before my two hours is up and buy Mad Max or Danganronpa. Smh what a shitty year for gaming.

I'm kidding

Darksol

3 1/2 hours until EST gamers unlock on PSN.

I finish work in an hour and a half. Just enough time to buy some gamer fuel, then spend all night gaming :) :) :)

This year has been wonderful for me. And with The Witcher 3, MGSV and Persona 5 it's going to be a hell of a year.

Is Africa and Afghanistan the only map locations in the game? I'd like to see more variety like snow.

Then brace yourself to be disappointed.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Is Africa and Afghanistan the only map locations in the game? I'd like to see more variety like snow.

I read a review which basically confirmed that, yeah. Can't remember which one... maybe GameTrailers? But it said, like, "the two huge maps are phenomenal, but by the end, we were definitely tiring of them and we wish there were a third."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom