• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT| The Man Who Sold The World

Status
Not open for further replies.

realcZk

Amazon had my delivery time for Friday. I emailed them and they said they gave me free next day and that I would have the game on Thursday. Wat?
I thought Prime members always get release Day delivery? I've bought every game on Amazon in the past 5 years and this has never happened. I'm going to have to go into a gamestop like a noob tomorrow. Maybe I'll get lucky and get a baby robot hand though.

I'm prime, selected release day delivery but since they only shipped out today it won't be here till Wednesday at the earliest according to UPS. Hopefully it didn't happen to too many people. Luckily I have the PC version to tide me over.

Going to stay away from these threads until completed but heres some quick impressions after 10 hours. Small spoilers (none story). First the positives.

- Intro is amazing. Sucks so much of it was shown in trailers but amazing nonetheless.

- Graphics is stunning. lighting is beautiful. Cutscenes are fantastic as usual.

-Gameplay mechanics is top notch.

That's about it. Now the negatives. :/

- Do NOT like the open world at all. Every location is literally the same. MB materials, blueprints, and prisoners. It's everything i hate about open world. Full of dull travel and collectables.

- Really REALLY hate the new alert system. Once you hit full alert you might as well start over cause you're fucked. Turns into a full shooter that isn't fun.

- 10 hours in and i activated 2 maybe 3 brief cutscenes. Fuck all the complainers man.

- Don't like all the back story being done through tapes.

- The TV style credits is very very stupid. I know thats being nitpicky but i just don't get it.

I'm 2 episodes away from beating Chapter 1. All in all this isn't MY type of MGS. I can forgive all the negatives but the lack of true MGS story telling is the biggest disappointment for me. Still have a shit load of game left though.

Artex

Banned
I'm prime, selected release day delivery but since they only shipped out today it won't be here till Wednesday at the earliest according to UPS. Hopefully it didn't happen to too many people. Luckily I have the PC version to tide me over.
Did you cancel? I did. That's crazy talk to wait. I need this shit tomorrow.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
The store page on Steam now shows that it unlocks in 3 hours. Oh yeahhhhh, never doubted.

Was this posted? The MGSV store page on Steam updated with the time that they promised.

VbE0tYu.png

Jtrizzy

So are there any possible shenanigans to start a Steam preload early, like with VPN? If not, is the official word that you can't even start downloading till tomorrow?

Not for me. I'm using a UK one right now to unpack Mad Max, but there is no option to download MGS. Seems to be unlocking worldwide in 3 hours.

hlhbk

Going to stay away from these threads until completed but heres some quick impressions after 10 hours. Small spoilers (none story). First the positives.

- Intro is amazing. Sucks so much of it was shown in trailers but amazing nonetheless.

- Graphics is stunning. lighting is beautiful. Cutscenes are fantastic as usual.

- Do NOT like the open world at all. Every location is literally the same. MB materials, blueprints, and prisoners. It's everything i hate about open world. Full of dull travel and collectables.

- Really REALLY hate the new alert system. Once you hit full alert you might as well start over cause you're fucked. Turns into a full shooter that isn't fun.

- 10 hours in and i activated 2 maybe 3 brief cutscenes. Fuck all the complainers man.

- The TV style credits is very very stupid. I know thats being nitpicky but i just don't get it.

I'm 2 episodes away from beating Chapter 1. All in all this isn't MY type of MGS. I can forgive all the negatives but the lack of true MGS story telling is the biggest disappointment for me. Still have a shit load of game left though.

Sounds like I very much need to consider getting a Steam refund. How the fuck can Kojima fuck up the story in his last MGS game?

Sounds like I very much need to consider getting a Steam refund. How the fuck can Kojima fuck up the story in his last MGS game?
It's not bad, honestly. I'm about 35 hours in and it's really intriguing to me, and finding out what's going to happen is keeping me going (although the fantastic gameplay is too, I love just dropping into the world and doing some side ops with buddies). The story is still there, but there is quite a long gap between cutscenes/story bits as you progress. I wouldn't be jumping to refund conclusions until you've played it for yourself :)

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone knows about the Motherbase App?

I want to know if I can put my staff in missions while away from my PS4.

The first 45 min is as good as it gets. Its a little downhill from there.

This is the post every person is going to have after passing through one of the best intros in the series and being let free in the open world. It can be overwhelming, but when you get used to it and it clicks, God damn, it's amazing.

Shooger that isn't fun is insane. It's the best emergent gameplay shooter I have ever played. One minute to the next you can be all stealth and the next being chased by helicopters, mortars raining down from above, snipers attacking you, I have had entire horse chases against tanks. Its some of the best gameplay I have ever experienced.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Also, wow, you are considering a refund because of a post from someone who has played 2 EPISODES only?

I suggest people should try different tactics or change your play style (stealth/rambo) when you do side-ops on old outposts. It's not boring imo

hlhbk

Also, wow, you are considering a refund because of a post from someone who has played 2 EPISODES only?

I loved MGS, and the way the games have told the story. Unlike many I loved the way MGS 4 told its story and loved the game. If they have gotten away from focusing on the story then I have no interest in the game man.

Is the alert system still like GZ? Instant alert or do they radio each other before going alert?
Instant alert. There is a very very small window between them having the red ! appear above their heads, but it's absolutely minuscule (maybe like a second) and they don't have to reach for a radio or anything to raise the alert.

I loved MGS, and the way the games have told the story. Unlike many I loved the way MGS 4 told its story and loved the game. If they have gotten away from focusing on the story then I have no interest in the game man.

This isn't true from what I've heard. Long exposition scenes/codec calls are now on the tapes, which can be listened to while you play, or while you are in the helicopter.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

That person has barely scratched the surface of the game, it makes no sense you are considering his post as a significant look into the game when he was completed less than 3% of the game.

Skux

Shooger that isn't fun is insane. It's the best emergent gameplay shooter I have ever played. One minute to the next you can be all stealth and the next being chased by helicopters, mortars raining down from above, snipers attacking you, I have had entire horse chases against tanks. Its some of the best gameplay I have ever experienced.

That's what stealth games always struggle to get right. Gameplay should be fluid and be able to swing between stealth and combat easily, without making the player feel like they've failed.

I haven't played the game but from the previews it feels like the balance is really well managed in that regard. Things like regenerating health make it more forgiving and the slower pace of shooting combat let you still take a tactical approach when under fire.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Can you use the mortars? I have seen them in a couple of videos around bases, just wondering if I can shell a base from far away.

You can but I don't think you can hit any other base that far away considering they are a bit far apart. It's probably useful when reinforcements are coming but I haven't had that happening on me. Should probably consider using it.

You can but I don't think you can hit any other base that far away considering they are a bit far apart. It's probably useful when reinforcements are coming but I haven't had that happening on me. Should probably consider using it.

So you can't deploy a mortar from outside a base and attack it? They are static inside the base you're infiltrating? Kind of misses the point of them really. Oh well, thanks for letting me know.

cackhyena

When it turned into a full shooter for me in GZ, it was fun as shit. Whatchoo smokin

Instant alert. There is a very very small window between them having the red ! appear above their heads, but it's absolutely minuscule (maybe like a second) and they don't have to reach for a radio or anything to raise the alert.

Thanks reflex mode. :(

It seems like the whole base gets alerted when one of the guys starts shouting like in GZ, making the radio basically pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom