• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT| The Man Who Sold The World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like I very much need to consider getting a Steam refund. How the fuck can Kojima fuck up the story in his last MGS game?

People ITT are so damn impressionable. A few people walk in and don't like it and people start demanding refunds for a game they haven't played.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So you can't deploy a mortar from outside a base and attack it? They are static inside the base you're infiltrating? Kind of misses the point of them really. Oh well, thanks for letting me know.

Oh you mean that! I have no idea. That'd be cool, but I don't think it's possible. I'd love it if it's possible.

Bumhead

Banned
Sounds like I very much need to consider getting a Steam refund. How the fuck can Kojima fuck up the story in his last MGS game?

He didn't fuck it up.

There's just a bit more going on with this game than a half hour cutscene after every 30 seconds of gameplay like MGS4.

It's amazing how badly the "not focused as much on story" line is starting to get twisted out of proportion. This is STILL a Hideo Kojima/Metal Gear Solid story. It's still grandiose and bonkers. The cutscenes are still absolutely fantastic, crazy, confusing, wonderfully directed as they've always been. There's just a LOT more game in between. Everything folks liked about crazy story MGS is STILL in V if you're prepared to play the videogame part in between.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
2R0CF9F.jpg

rFrPa9Q.jpg

HOLY FUCK at the timers for online Combat Unit missions. 1360 minutes! Real-time! I assume these don't require the ps4 to be on. So I should set then up before going to work, but damn...

mf.luder

How do I unequip an item in sortie prep? I equipped capture cages and I don't want them. Costing me GMP each time I need to resupply.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So I have the Collectors Edition coming in on PS4 tomorrow.

That said, was going to purchase this on Steam for my actual playthrough. Since I can play at native 4K, and hopefully push the LoD a bit. Also I can play that in like 3 hours instead of waiting.

No preload so I have not purchased as of yet. Any reason to hesitate? Ground Zeroes was a pretty flawless release and performance was good correct?

Also, on an unrelated note, I just yesterday finally caught up on Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes(Though I have yet to try any side missions in ground zeroes).

Without spoilers, should I know what "The Man Who Sold The World" refers to. I have only seen it in the trailers, on that caset tape. I am thinking it refers to Big Boss but it is possible I missed something or forgot something in previous games.

Yen

I'm about 25 hours in (around mission 14) and came across some really cool lore in the tapes:
Huey mentions there is groundbreaking cloning work being done by a Dr Clark, starting 10 years previously. Big Boss just stays silent.

Question about Quiet for those who have been playing the game:
when can I use her? She's still in her cell in the brig. I had a cutscene where she stands by the helicopter but after Kaz and Snake discuss how they couldn't communicate in the field, she just walks away.

Afrodium

Banned
This may have been asked but do the timers only count down while you're in the game, or can I go to sleep/work and have a bunch of new gear when I turn the game back on?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
How do I unequip an item in sortie prep? I equipped capture cages and I don't want them. Costing me GMP each time I need to resupply.

Press X or A, and you'll have a list of items to choose from, select "NOTHING" or something like that. I also deselected it because it was taking biologic materials. And those are a bit rare at the beginning.

I'm about 25 hours in (around mission 14) and came across some really cool lore in the tapes:
Huey mentions there is groundbreaking cloning work being done by a Dr Clark, starting 10 years previously. Big Boss just stays silent.

when can I use her? She's still in her cell in the brig. I had a cutscene where she stands by the helicopter but after Kaz and Snake discuss how they couldn't communicate in the field, she just walks away.
About the second thing, just keep doing main ops, it'll happen in time.

This may have been asked but do the timers only count down while you're in the game, or can I go to sleep/work and have a bunch of new gear when I turn the game back on?

The game doesn't need to be on, that would be insane considering some of the timers I have seen.

nOoblet16

About quiet
She should already available for use.

As for the previous one
well he stays silent most of the time anyway, not like he doesn't know who Clark is because ocelot told him about her in one of the tapes, even if he forgot about her so by the time the conversation with Huey happens he should know about Clark

Bumhead

Banned

Got to this bit myself tonight. Absolutely loved that tape.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
What Kojima should have done is cut away 80% of the gameplay so that it has the same gameplay to cutscene ratio as his last games.

Then everyone would be happy!

After a mission Ocelot will tell you to visit the medical part of Mother Base, you talk to him about Quiet there, and after that can use her. Dunno what happens if you not built the medical bit yet.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
What Kojima should have done is cut away 80% of the gameplay so that it has the same gameplay to cutscene ratio as his last games.

Then everyone would be happy!

With Snake asking every 10 seconds. "Mother Base?", "XOF?", "Cipher?", "Kaz?", "Fulton?". It would make sense, since Snake (according to long dated interviews with Kojima) he has neurological damage!

Flying into a LZ with that playing is sooo good.

That reminds me it's time to change the song of my chopper to this one.

A-V-B

With Snake asking every 10 seconds. "Mother Base?", "XOF?", "Cipher?", "Kaz?", "Fulton?". It would make sense, since Snake (according to long dated interviews with Kojima) he has neurological damage!

"Neurological damage?"

"Yes, as a result of the engineered neurovirus, Ayemenediot."

"I'm an idiot?"

Anth0ny

Going to stay away from these threads until completed but heres some quick impressions after 10 hours. Small spoilers (none story). First the positives.

- Intro is amazing. Sucks so much of it was shown in trailers but amazing nonetheless.

- Graphics is stunning. lighting is beautiful. Cutscenes are fantastic as usual.

-Gameplay mechanics is top notch.

That's about it. Now the negatives. :/

- Do NOT like the open world at all. Every location is literally the same. MB materials, blueprints, and prisoners. It's everything i hate about open world. Full of dull travel and collectables.

- Really REALLY hate the new alert system. Once you hit full alert you might as well start over cause you're fucked. Turns into a full shooter that isn't fun.

- 10 hours in and i activated 2 maybe 3 brief cutscenes. Fuck all the complainers man.

- Don't like all the back story being done through tapes.

- The TV style credits is very very stupid. I know thats being nitpicky but i just don't get it.

I'm 2 episodes away from beating Chapter 1. All in all this isn't MY type of MGS. I can forgive all the negatives but the lack of true MGS story telling is the biggest disappointment for me. Still have a shit load of game left though.

Pretty much how I feel at this point. I'm 15 hours in. Unless things turn around at some point (read: GIMME SOME CUTSCENES), it feels like this is going to be my least favourite numbered MGS by a decent margin :(

The repetitive nature of the open world/missions based gameplay would be way more lame if the gameplay wasn't so god damn good. I'm pretty sure this is the best feeling third person shooter I've ever played. It almost reaches Vanquish levels of freedom of movement.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Well punish is a rough word, but yes. Without reflex on (score bonus if you turn it off) you get instant alerts.

I feel a bit relief I embraced reflex mode. I honestly have yet to obtain a good all out load-out to survive.

Except smoke grenades. They are amazing to use.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Well punish is a rough word, but yes. Without reflex on (score bonus if you turn it off) you get instant alerts.
You don't have to turn it off to get the bonus, you just have to not have it trigger.

Worth leaving it on to save frustration and earn a bonus if you manage to be extra slick. Game was clearly designed around it and it's pretty cool, IMO.

You can also easily get S rank without that bonus so there's no reason to punish yourself unless you take the whole Punished Snake thing way too literally.

23qwerty

anyone notice the steam unlock timer changed to 3 hours from now? pretty sure it still said 17 hours or whatever when I got home an hour ago.

Bumhead

Banned

That reminds me it's time to change the song of my chopper to this one.

Wait, chopper tune?

Is that something you can set to automatically do?!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, chopper tune?

Is that something you can set to automatically do?!

Yeah, just like in Ground Zeroes! Just press (I think) Square in PS4 while highlighting the song you want played every time a chopper comes to pick you up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom