• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain PC performance thread

Grief.exe

I noticed that it really depends on the scene, it's pretty cool how the Fox Engine optimizes stuff and I guess that's how they achieved 60fps on consoles.

When there's a lot of dynamic lighting / objects in the scene, the shadow draw distance is smaller. But when the scene is sparser, the engine automatically draws shadows more far away when there is performance to spare.

Fox Engine constantly astounds me.

I thought that injecting effects doesnt work with Ground Zeroes and TPP because they have a build in protection against something like that. Any comparision screens?

Alo indicated earlier in the thread that you couldn't use Reshade for this reason.

Okay so judging by this thread these settings should give me a solid 60 fps on a GTX 970/i5 4690:

-1440p DSR
-Extra High on most settings
-Set the effects setting to high instead of extra high due to tons of overlapping alpha effecting performance. (By the way, how much of an actual visual difference does this make?)
-Set Post-processing off (or to low? What is everything that's tied to this setting?) because the DSR should be a good substitute for Anti-aliasing.
-Potentially turn off volumetric clouds for a performance boost?
-Turn off in game AO and turn on "quality" AO in the Nvidia Control Panel to get HBAO+

Did I miss anything? Can't try it out till I get back home on Sunday, just want to make sure I have settings straight so set-up can take up minimal time on Sunday night.

My specs are almost the same, I was only bring drops in light sources and storms sometimes into the mid 40s, turning off volumetric clouds off or some effects to hight world only give me a minimal increase in those taxing areas, so I disabled hbao+ and went with the in-game setting instead now at 1440p DSR and everything maxed-out settings I get constant 60fps.

JimPanzer

How do I set it to 1440p?

My monitor is 1080p and i want to set it to something reasonable, but geforce experience sets it to 2715x1527 which makes it drop to 50.

in the nvidia control panel is an option for DSR where you can choose how it should scale

Dmax3901

Anyone had trouble with performance on the emblem customisation screen? It turns into a slideshow when I go to choose from phonetics.

Tovarisc

Anyone had trouble with performance on the emblem customisation screen? It turns into a slideshow when I go to choose from phonetics.

Disable words [default word: D] and all performance hit is gone. This assuming there is some front image you want to use and not having any words is fine.

UrbanRats

How do I set it to 1440p?

My monitor is 1080p and i want to set it to something reasonable, but geforce experience sets it to 2715x1527 which makes it drop to 50.

In the Nvidia control panel, activate all the DSR increments, and then you should have 1440p.
I think you have to play in fullscreen for it too work, too, but i'm not sure.

Parsnip

There's an opt-in beta patch that supposedly fixes this, I haven't tested it because I don't have words on my emblem.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
vanilla_vs_modded_extra_high_by_aloooo81-d98gq1s.gif

Vanilla

Extended

The red lights are blinking, so ignore them because they're not dissappearing, just blinking on and off.

This is rendered at 4K so pay no attention to my framerate counter. Wrapping my head around the settings is a real doozy. If you set some stuff too high they just disable all together.

I had one configuration where as I approached lights, they would just fade away and become invisible.

When I have a reasonable balance I'll post something. At one point I was getting ~1fps speeds, so need to get a good balance.

dEvAnGeL

anyone here with both ps4 and PC versions of the game? im thinking on picking up the ps4 version to play MP with friends but i wanna make sure the drop on IQ is not to big before buying the game, any info about it will be greatly appreciated, thanks

Once the beta patch came out my old Phenom 2 is running the game good enough for me. No frame drops with low-med settings. Only part of my PC that isn't 8 years old is my vid card, and that is a 960 ssc.

As a former phenom II owner:
For the love of god get a new cpu (i5 or better)

You are getting awful minimum framerates and a ton of microstuttering in many many many games with that thing. I forgot what 60 fps was actually supposed to look like (flawlessly smooth) until I got my new cpu.

This runs pretty well on my low end system. 40-60fps most of the time with most settings high or better.

A8-6600k + r7 260x.
Yup I've got your processor and gtx 660ti(wonderful purchase) and I'm almost always at 60 except for dense areas on High settings or better. I'm guessing I could probably up a few settings with minimal impact but the game looks good enough for my eyes.

Kuro

anyone here with both ps4 and PC versions of the game? im thinking on picking up the ps4 version to play MP with friends but i wanna make sure the drop on IQ is not to big before buying the game, any info about it will be greatly appreciated, thanks

I have both. The PS4 is pretty good looking for a 60fps game. I think its comparable to Witcher 3 in some cases and that game runs sub 20fps. If you have Ground Zeroes through PS+ its slightly better in graphics, less pop-in, and better animations.

Edit: Head into the console screenshot thread to take a look.

dEvAnGeL

I have both. The PS4 is pretty good looking for a 60fps game. I think its comparable to Witcher 3 in some cases and that game runs sub 20fps. If you have Ground Zeroes through PS+ its slightly better in graphics, less pop-in, and better animations.

Edit: Head into the console screenshot thread to take a look.
thank you for the reply, i will get it then when the MP comes out!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Edit: There's a framerate unlock found also.
FomZ5nx.png

What's the modded extra high in reference to? SMAA? Reshade?

Modifying the extracted graphics files.

Whatever it's doing, the Modded Extra High setting is making a huge difference to the UI elements on the HUD.

That's just me running out of VRAM. Still playing around to find something good and worthwhile/playable. Might release a "screenshot" settings config, but I'm probably going to be busy this weekend and not able to end up doing it.

Branson

Anything in the nvidia control panel I could use to make the graphics better? I think it looks great at max and 60fps but I was wondering if that actually makes a difference adding any of those settings on top.

FomZ5nx.png

Huh, this seems to have fixed the stuttery mouse movement I was getting when the frame rate dropped below 60. I didn't see any obvious broken physics or anything while I was playing around with the cap off, so we'll see how this goes.

JimPanzer

Anything in the nvidia control panel I could use to make the graphics better? I think it looks great at max and 60fps but I was wondering if that actually makes a difference adding any of those settings on top.

enable HBAO+, check the first post in this thread

JimPanzer

I've made a quick mod here to play as Quiet. It replaces the Solid Snake costume from MGS1:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3x_yY0gnj5sS2xaRkZaLUUyTEU

Just be sure to follow the instructions properly. You'll need to work a little as I didn't feel like uploading a 1.5Gb file so instead I'm explaining how to extract, replace a file in and repack the archive.

lQBUThtvib_2ZjsDcqF5r3ZdVKROQCyd5-u4urPr3EUzxw5lH73q1gUXftuTYsP_R0WlMwcgGqitB_U=w2530-h1180-rw

I guess I'll get it out of the way...are the boob physics, uhm, intact?

Still just a perfectly smooth 60fps lock for me at max 1080p on my 970. I'm glad the game is 1080p/60 on ps4 also. Honestly I expected that to be the target this console gen. To me the visuals in this game are good enough, I'd like to see more games target 1080/60 on consoles with similar visual quality.

I'm finding 15 hours in that I just cannot play with mouse kb. Way more lethal with weapons, but everything else about movement and controls feels better on a controller.

This game is approaching witcher 3 as my favorite game of all time. I've been gaming for about 25 years now, and to get what I consider to be 2 of my top 5 games of all time in one year is incredible.

bodine1231

When I launch the game I'm getting single digit fps even before the title screen. All the splash screens and loading icon are around 25fps (it jumps to 60 and back to 25/30) and when it gets to Snake at the title screen it drops to single digits. It worked fine a couple days ago. I'm using a 980ti.

Edit: I think its my card,its doing it on Mad Max too.

MKUltra

The game performs great for me but crashes randomly every 5-30 minutes of gameplay, I've tried everything I can think of in the last few days but can't seem to get past it, anyone else had similar issues?

Mr Swine

Banned
Man I'm impressed on how good the performance is on my laptop with a I7, 8GB ram and a GTX 960m. Runs at extra high on most setting at 60fps with it dropping to 50's sometimes :)

Elixist

how would a i5-35 and a 7950 handle this? ground zeroes was kinda stuttery at times for me so i just bought PP for ps4.

Anyone else having what I assume is a DSR issue where sometimes you load the game up and it hasn't loaded at the right resolution. Everything is really blocky and jagged, quitting and reloading normally solves it but it's frustrating.

Also I keep getting the annoying 'Turn off Windows Aero' notification which means I have to alt tab out, give a reply but then I only get a black screen when I alt tab back. I have to press the power button on my PC which closes TTP, then cancel out of the shutdown and reload TTP. Any ideas?

FomZ5nx.png

Modifying the extracted graphics files.

That's just me running out of VRAM. Still playing around to find something good and worthwhile/playable. Might release a "screenshot" settings config, but I'm probably going to be busy this weekend and not able to end up doing it.

Where is the config file located?

Watevaman

Should I even bother trying this with a GTX570 and a Phenom II X4 955? I run GZ fine for my taste but I don't know if its worth it to buy this.

Top Bottom