• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light PC performance thread

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I also just reached this one area where the framerate dropped like a rock for absolutely no reason, it was still just tunnels and things, nothing really fancy. It didn't last long though, just a couple corridors. But it was BAD.

I know exactly which section you're talking about; was just there last night. Super brief at least but damn it just screeches to a halt.

What is that config doing that is any different to help with the stuttering?

I'm not getting any real noticeable stuttering, I'm just wondering.

Mr. Plankton

Neo Member
Didn't seem to help with the stuttering at all.

Settings: 1920 X 1080, all options maxed except for SSAA (off), V-sync is on, PhysX is on.

Specs: i5 2500K @ 4.2 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz, GTX 670 Power Edition SLI, 1 TB SATA III HDD.

Played this on my X51 (i5, 660ti, 8GB). New beta drivers.

Running 1080p via HDMI, very high, no SSAA. Vsync on (tore like crazy without).

You can tell its not *always* 60fps stable dependant on the set piece. There's a large metallic wheel
in the Nazi base
that makes the fps really drop, but I've heard other people have problems with certain scenes, but for the most part it's silky smooth looks amazing & is well worth a purchase. So, so good.

Played for about 3 hours this morning. Can't wait to boot it up again tonight.

FtsH

And they still aren't getting locked 60 FPS with their $2000 GPU setup if the first page is to be believed. Why spend that money when you're not even getting perfection?

perfection? not even playable lol

3930k + Titan SLI benchmark
WRo.png

MaLDo

Awesome to hear about an even better SLI profile. I recommend you send a PM to Andy about it.. he can usually get work done on these things quite well.

He actually got a better SLI profile for NS2 due to my recommendation.

Do you have an email? Thanks.

I now realised that playing Metro LL without steam destroy stuttering and framerate is perfect.

What's with the card pissing contest? If someone wants to spend 2K of their hard earned money on SLI Titans, good for them. They are enthusiast level cards for a reason. Value is in the eye of the person putting the money down....

Anyways, I'm about 6 hours into the game now post clean Windows 7 install and things are running beautifully. There are some drops here and again to the mid 40's in heavy firefights but it's 60fps more often than not and once again - no major stuttering/hitching.

Sethos

Banned
Only 65 FPS at 1080p? Jeeze, totally not worth the $2000 if you ask me. For $2000 I better be getting 120 FPS locked at max settings 1080p.

And seeing as you are being Valnen as always, I assume you also skipped over the critical part as you were glancing through the thread to find your latest bias, that the benchmark is very demanding and does in no way, shape or form represent actual gameplay performance.

So less salt, it's bad for your blood pressure.

Telaso

Banned
I just finished the game, and I was around 70 fps for most of the game.

Max everything except high tess instead of very high tess. I didnt really see a difference between the two.

2500k at 4.5ghz,
2 x 680 SLI
16gb of ram

Game ran like a dream, even in heavy combat never dipped under 55 fps.

I just finished the game, and I was around 70 fps for most of the game.

Max everything except high tess instead of very high tess. I didnt really see a difference between the two.

2500k at 4.5ghz,
2 x 680 SLI
16gb of ram

Game ran like a dream, even in heavy combat never dipped under 55 fps.
Those 2GB 680's or 4 out of curiosity? Specs are nearly identical to mine but I'm running a 2GB 680 and have been thinking about adding another and going SLI.

Valnen

And seeing as you are being Valnen as always, I assume you also skipped over the critical part as you were glancing through the thread to find your latest bias, that the benchmark is very demanding and does in no way, shape or form represent actual gameplay performance.

So less salt, it's bad for your blood pressure.

What is your FPS in game? Does it ever drop below 60?

And honestly, "very demanding" or not, $2000 in GPU's should tear anything apart. It's kind of sad that it doesn't.

Sethos

Banned

Running 2560x1600, everything maxed out except SSAA and I'm keeping a rock solid 60FPS ( Framerate locked ).

Even at 3840x2400 my FPS manages to hit 60. Albeit useless as my screen caps at 30Hz.

And honestly, "very demanding" or not, $2000 in GPU's should tear anything apart. It's kind of sad that it doesn't.

And no, it shouldn't. That's like buying a $100,000 bulldozer and saying it's supposed to move the Himalayas. It's a stupid notion, the cards a extremely fast and will tear through everything. Static benchmarks meant to bring anything to its knees is not a baseline.

Read some actual benchmarks, educate yourself, know these are enthusiast cards and let's take it from there.

FtsH

Never expected them to "tear anything apart". They knelt before 3DMark long time ago, lol

The biggest fun I'm having now is actually I do some up to 5760x3240 screenshots. Not playable but I love those super high-res screens.

kitanii

Banned
It's a waste of money to buy the things you want because you can afford them? Wut?

It's a waste of money because the performance gain compared to a GTX 680 is pathetic.
Not justified at all. For the amount of money you have to give for a Titan you can get a complete beast of a computer. And now that the 700-series is inbound. Ouch.

CPU: i7 2600K @ 4.5GHz
GPU: GTX TITAN
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Settings: Very High/Tesselation Normal/Physx On
Framerate: 42fps avg (1440), 59 avg (1080)

I don't know what I expected.

zainetor

Banned
For now I only tried with my fx8350 rig, with 7950, 8gb ram at 1080p, no SSA, tessellation normal, Filter at 16X.
It runs prety fine 40-55 on average. However I do get some stuttering, probably because of the framerate that is quite unstable, but it's not a big deal.

It makes for great screenshots. I wish I had a rig to play at 4K with SSAA, but that would be pretty insane.

If titans were out when I built this machine, I probably would have bought a pair. But I don't want to go through the hassle of selling my current cards and getting a new power supply to support them right now. Might go for 780s though :)

FtsH

Why are they using SSAA with 4k? Aren't they making the game render at some absurd resolution?

I think it's just to see the performance or how much pressure you can go. Don't you see that 5760x3240 is also tested with and without SSAA?. Considering that 4K TV only does 30Hz or even 24Hz nowadays, without SSAA, Titan SLI seems enough for MetroLL.

Smokey

Extreme waste of money.

Great contribution to the thread yo

Always enjoy people telling me what is a waste of my money
It's a waste of money because the performance gain compared to a GTX 680 is pathetic.
Not justified at all. For the amount of money you have to give for a Titan you can get a complete beast of a computer. And now that the 700-series is inbound. Ouch.

Your opinion. Not a fact. So don't try and pass it off as so.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
After the update that variable is added to the "user.cfg" located in "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\4A Games\Metro LL\1100001005bfb04" and it's created when you run the game the first time after the patch.

edit: nevermind--found it!

MaLDo

That't awesome! I see >20% fps increase in the benchmark with AA and PhysX on!

Great!

Everyone with stuttering problems (I think is something that affects everyone to a greater or lesser degree), if you want to play with smooth aframerate, the only way at this moment is

-buy the game
-install it with steam
-close steam
-copy your game folder to another location
-use the no-cd exe (version 1.2) and dll in your new location (I can't provide links for this, use google)
-start the game in the new location
-enter options menu: set your graphical config, activate VSYNC ingame
-close the game
-go to %appdata% local/4a games/metro LL/
-locate both user.cfg (the one from steam version and the one for new exe) and change those lines:

sso_connect_tries 1
sso_first_time 0
sso_receive_updates 0
sso_receive_updates_thq 0

-start the game from new location and enjoy

kitanii

Banned
Great contribution to the thread yo

Always enjoy people telling me what is a waste of my money

Your opinion. Not a fact. So don't try and pass it off as so.

If you don't believe it to be so. Fine. Although a ~20fps increase in most scenarios compared to a 680 is in fact a small jump. Especially when you're considering the performance:cost ratio.
But yeah I'll stop bitchin' about it.

SoundLad

CPU: i7 3770 @3.9Ghz
GPU: GTX 680 2GB
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Resolution: 1920x1080
Settings: very high settings, tesselation very high, Advanced PhysX on, SSAA off, vsync off
Adaptive V-sync enabled from NVCP
Using latest beta drivers.

During first two hours of gameplay, seems to work fairly well (I would say 60 with an odd dip to 40 at times during heavy scenes). Some degree of 'stutteriness' can be felt at times, although I found that playing around with different Vsync options seemed to have remedied most of it.
Overall very pleased with the performance so far!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Tried to replay the first game and wow does it run like shit in comparison, only boot in windowed mode and require disconnecting/disabling the 360 controller to work with the keyboard and mouse... Rest in peace 2033.

On my last GPU it wasn't encountering the former two issues but on my new PC it does. I even changed the fullscreen to on in the cfg file but it kept switching back on boot. I couldn't find any real solution online. Oh well.

Onwards to Call of Pripyat, that game might look lesser under close up scrutiny but it actually impresses me still with the scale of it all, the 60fps, plus your flashlight casts better shadows. Not to mention lightning does too!

Smokey

If you don't believe it to be so. Fine. Although a ~20fps increase in most scenarios compared to a 680 is in fact a small jump. Especially when you're considering the performance:cost ratio.
But yeah I'll stop bitchin' about it.

The Titan is geared towards people like me with multi monitor displays or at a minimum 2560x1600. So for me they are worthwhile and useful. Do I need 3 monitors to game? No. But since I do this card serves it's purpose. It is geared towards high end displays/setups and does its job when applied in those situations.

There is no performance to cost ratio with the Titan bruh. It's a halo product. People that actually have the card seem to understand this while people sitting on the sidelines don't. It's the same as people telling others who drive BMWs or Mercedes that their choice of car is a waste of money because they drive a Honda civic.

scitek

I used Inspector to for Vsync to half my refresh rate and Afterburner to cap it at 30fps and it's been pretty smooth for me. Without that the game stutters.

Smokey

I used Inspector to for Vsync to half my refresh rate and Afterburner to cap it at 30fps and it's been pretty smooth for me. Without that the game stutters.

I would suspect that some of these issues will be taken care of in the next nvidia driver update. There's clearly a lot of room for improvement.

kitanii

Banned
The Titan is geared towards people like me with multi monitor displays or at a minimum 2560x1600. So for me they are worthwhile and useful. Do I need 3 monitors to game? No. But since I do this card serves it's purpose. It is geared towards high end displays/setups and does its job when applied in those situations.

There is no performance to cost ratio with the Titan bruh. It's a halo product. People that actually have the card seem to understand this while people sitting on the sidelines don't. It's the same as people telling others who drive BMWs or Mercedes that their choice of car is a waste of money because they drive a Honda civic.

What about an SLI-setup with a pair of 680s. For example.
How does the card hold up against that? Out of curiosity. Used in a multi monitor setup that is.

Top Bottom