• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M "story" trailer

heringer

I don't know why people complain that you can't move while in first person. How can they not get why? That's dumb.

Also, Zelda anyone?

Socreges

Banned
One thing I learned about Metroid: Other M in this hands-on play: if you're in a room that has a hidden pick-up (missile, a piece of an energy tank or a full energy tank), you'll be alerted of its existence once you clear out the room of all enemies. A beacon "ping" can be heard, and it's up to you to find out where it's hiding.
Fuck. That.

I really hope we get an option to turn that off, though I doubt it.

mantidor

Socreges said:
Fuck. That.

While searching every single block with bombs back in the day seemed really fun, I certainly welcome this little help, I can no longer stand grinding whole levels, I have neither the time nor patience for it.

Minamu

It's certainly better than being able to get each pick-up marked out on the 3D map like in Prime 3. It was optionable, sure, but could I help myself? Nope :)

Socreges

Banned
mantidor said:
While searching every single block with bombs back in the day seemed really fun, I certainly welcome this little help, I can no longer stand grinding whole levels, I have neither the time nor patience for it.
Using the wave beam, super bombs, and x-ray scope to explore areas wasn't exactly "grinding". The thing is that any tedious searches were never necessary unless you wanted 100% completion. Normally through the progress of the game you'd enter an area and use your intuition as to where a power-up might be or what might lead to a secret area. It was always really rewarding. That's now compromised since we're immediately told that there's an item in a room. Fortunately they don't hold our hand entirely and we'll still (hopefully) need to use our brains to find the item (rather than just using a specific ability that we may or may not have acquired at that point).

For me, that's not good news. It also enables the designers to be a bit more lazy rather than using more creative and subtle indicators apart from PINGS.

Poyunch

heringer said:
I don't know why people complain that you can't move while in first person. How can they not get why? That's dumb.

Also, Zelda anyone?
Eww who ever goes into first person for close-combat in Zelda? When you're far away from an enemy it's fine, but when it's close combat there's a reason z-targeting/l-targeting exists.

mantidor

Socreges said:
Using the wave beam, super bombs, and x-ray scope to explore areas wasn't exactly "grinding". The thing is that any tedious searches were never necessary unless you wanted 100% completion. Normally through the progress of the game you'd enter an area and use your intuition as to where a power-up might be or what might lead to a secret area. It was always really rewarding. That's now compromised since we're immediately told that there's an item in a room. Fortunately they don't hold our hand entirely and we'll still (hopefully) need to use our brains to find the item (rather than just using a specific ability that we may or may not have acquired at that point).

For me, that's not good news. It also enables the designers to be a bit more lazy rather than using more creative and subtle indicators apart from PINGS.

I agree, I was thinking more about Metroid I and II, but I don't think these particular group of developers are going to get lazy at all. Fusion and Zero Mission have hints but personally I thought they were handled pretty well. Some complained about hand-holding in both these games, but both cut that around the middle of the game. For me this allowed more accessibility to people new to the series while maintaining the atmosphere, once you get to either a broken chozo statue in Zero Mission or a destroyed transmision station in Fusion you feel that sense of isolation and tension that has made the whole series so great.

Boney

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
Eww who ever goes into first person for close-combat in Zelda? When you're far away from an enemy it's fine, but when it's close combat there's a reason z-targeting/l-targeting exists.
You can't fire missiles in first person Zelda :)

Socreges said:

Not a huge fan of the ping, but it's not all that different from Prime's whirrrrrrr or having item markers on downloaded maps.

Socreges

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Not a huge fan of the ping, but it's not all that different from Prime's whirrrrrrr or having item markers on downloaded maps.
I only played the first Prime and didn't even finish it (though I think it's a good series). I'm only really comparing Other M to the 2D games.

Teknoman

Socreges said:
Fuck. That.

Its fine since in the Metroid Prime series, you still had to be really aware of your surroundings to hear the item hum.

heringer

Socreges said:
I only played the first Prime and didn't even finish it (though I think it's a good series). I'm only really comparing Other M to the 2D games.
Well, Fusion also marked upgrades on the map. So, there you go.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
heringer said:
Is it weird how I didn't know that either Prime 3 or Fusion marked upgrades on the map?

Socreges said:

Surely you realize a 3d world is WAY more complex than a 2d one...where in a 2d world you only had to worry about what you could interact with on a 2d plane, and secret areas were fairly easy to find (they were usually just wall sprites that were different from others, or were cracked, stuff like that) in 3d it's a lot harder. I mean, it's not telling you where the secret is, and there obviously isn't going to be hidden things in every room either

robor

Metroid Killer said:
dem heels... How the hell are she supposed to maneuver in close combat in those??

Lots of sexy training. Imagine getting kicked in the face with one of those, dayum! It does look a little.........silly.

hmmm I was searching for some artwork from Zero Mission when I ran into this...

Zero Suit cameo in Fatal Frame IV... o_O

69318_2.jpg

I seriously loathe the Zero Suit design. It just doesn't fit the universe. It's not so much the body that irks me, it's the face.

Prime 1 got it right.

Beth Cyra

Don't know what to think of the heels, but other then that I think Zero Suit looks fine.

I guess they are still just trying to make it more and more unique, still I think have as far away as they needed to so it is no longer a blue jump suit. Still she isn't it often so no biggie really.

Beth Cyra

_Alkaline_ said:
I seriously loathe the Zero Suit design. It just doesn't fit the universe.

Prime 1 got it right.

Eh I still disagree with this, the inside of her armour isn't coated with silk so something so it would make sense to have something that seperates her body from the Power suit.

gerg

Kilrogg said:
Heels, really?

I'm starting to expect a fashion-shopping mini-game at some point.

As far as fashion goes for female superheroes/game protagonists, those heels are pretty practical. At least they're wedges...

Socreges

Banned
heringer said:
If I remember correctly, only the apparent ones. And remember that Fusion used a map system where finding hidden upgrades almost always meant uncovering secret portions of the map first. Then you'd have a square of the map with a circle on it, but the item was in the wide open at that point, regardless.

fireside said:
So did Super Metroid.
Only with apparent items. Ones on pedestals, statues, and such.

Zoramon089 said:
Surely you realize a 3d world is WAY more complex than a 2d one...where in a 2d world you only had to worry about what you could interact with on a 2d plane, and secret areas were fairly easy to find (they were usually just wall sprites that were different from others, or were cracked, stuff like that) in 3d it's a lot harder. I mean, it's not telling you where the secret is, and there obviously isn't going to be hidden things in every room either
I don't agree that resorting to the PING is necessary, 3D environment or not.

heringer

Socreges said:
If I remember correctly, only the apparent ones. And remember that Fusion used a map system where finding hidden upgrades almost always meant uncovering secret portions of the map first. Then you'd have a square of the map with a circle on it, but the item was in the wide open at that point, regardless.
Well, how do you figure it's not the same with Other M?

Also, it wasn't only the "apparent" ones in Fusion. Some of them were very well hidden. The thing is, like you said, most itens were connected to secret areas, so the challenge of finding was still there. It will probably be the same with Other M. You guys just like to overreact over nothing.

Besides, Sakamoto already said that the average player will get around 30% of the upgrades on the first playthrough. Even if that's a stretch (because it was around 60% on past games), it shows that it won't be so easy to get everything.

jjasper

robor said:
Is Prime 1's Zero Suit seen in Smash Bros. Brawl?

There is no zero suit in Prime 1. You only see her face, which looks like an adult woman which is why Prime 1 has the best zero suit.

Socreges

Banned
heringer said:
Well, how do you figure it's not the same with Other M?
Well it wouldn't matter much if it is. I didn't really like Fusion's system.* It was quite linear and held your hand throughout. I had much the same initial reaction to Fusion as this. I really liked the game still, but it pales in comparison to Super Metroid and Zero Mission in my opinion.

* I was only responding within the context of his reply, that upgrades were marked on the map. That's true, but doesn't tell the entire story.

heringer said:
Besides, Sakamoto already said that the average player will get around 30% of the upgrades on the first playthrough. Even if that's a stretch (because it was around 60% on past games), it shows that it won't be so easy to get everything.
Hey, I hope so. For now my fears aren't assuaged. I do anticipate going through environments and, should I not hear a PING, knowing that there's no reason to explore.

Socreges said:

Only with apparent items. Ones on pedestals, statues, and such.

I don't agree that resorting to the PING is necessary, 3D environment or not.

Doesnt matter.
What is the problem, when even if you hear the ping sound in a small room, theres no chance to get with the upgrades you have and maybe you can only get it going three rooms beyond/before to do a puzzle with the spark jump or through some vents with the morphball.

Find while using super bombs all over the place is not the fun thing, the fun thing has always been the puzzle behind getting the object, thats why the were also points instead of a PING sound in Super, Zero and Fusion.

Haunted

I can appreciate the classic design of Metroid Prime, but man, Corruption 3's streamlining seriously helped things move along at a better pace. It still had that feeling of exploration, and that's what really counts in a Metroid game, imo.

I see it as similar to the people who loathe the map markers in Fallout 3. I couldn't imagine playing the game without them.

Luigiv

jjasper said:
There is no zero suit in Prime 1. You only see her face, which looks like an adult woman which is why Prime 1 has the best zero suit.
You do realise Samus is only meant to be in her early 20s during the game right? But that account Prime 1 is actually one of the worst reflections of Samus, since the model looks way older then it should (That being said, it's better then the Prime 2 monstrosity).

Gouken

Banned
i have no doubt that this game would be just as incredible as the previous ones, but seriously i prefer silent samus, one of the reason why i hated Metroid Prime 3 is the fact the general was talking to samus back and forth and that killed the lonely atmosphere of the metroid world.

Luigiv said:
You do realise Samus is only meant to be in her early 20s during the game right? But that account Prime 1 is actually one of the worst reflections of Samus, since the model looks way older then it should (That being said, it's better then the Prime 2 monstrosity).
Concerning Samus' face, this is a point where Other M does it really great, the best so far.

In Prime 1 her face model looked really nice, but in Prime 2 and 3, they made her look like some bland snop. There's something about those locks of hair that bothers me...
And while Zero Suit Samus looks better in Other M, its the short haired Samus Aran I like the best. She looks young, but determined, she looks like a tough badass warrior without even being in her power suit.

Samus_3D_endings.jpg

Samus_Aran_-_Metroid_Other_M.jpg

samus1.jpg

robor

Totally agree with you Metroid Killer. I think the mole on the side of her chin ads an extra touch; it gives her that look of being human, by having that imperfection.

farnham

Banned
Metroid Killer said:
Concerning Samus' face, this is a point where Other M does it really great, the best so far.

In Prime 1 her face model looked really nice, but in Prime 2 and 3, they made her look like some bland snop. There's something about those locks of hair that bothers me...
And while Zero Suit Samus looks better in Other M, its the short haired Samus Aran I like the best. She looks young, but determined, she looks like a tough badass warrior without even being in her power suit.

Samus_3D_endings.jpg

Samus_Aran_-_Metroid_Other_M.jpg

samus1.jpg
they all look okay in my book

nothing spectacular but nothing bad either

2.jpg

now this design is ballin!

wsippel

Banned
Metroid Killer said:
dem heels... How the hell are she supposed to maneuver in close combat in those??
She's usually not fighting in her Zero Suit, and they shouldn't make any difference wearing powered armor.

Synless

I find it wierd that after all these years of showing Samus's face they decided to add that random mole on her chin.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I am really fucking hyped for this game right now. COME ON, SEPTEMBER.

robor

Threi said:
not this again...

hunters render is the best, prime 1 is overrated

Nah man, that fringe is trying to let go of the eighties. *edit*.......and forgot she was a lawyer.....

Man, they really do go all over the place with her Zero Suit render. I like the Other M one the best, although the heels are pretty ridiculous.

Top Bottom