• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M "story" trailer

MarshMellow96 said:
Whoa, which Samus is the best? Now I want to take her helmet off at the end of OM and reveal herself to be Christina Hendricks...

skinny long blonde hair Samus is the best Samus.

robor

MarshMellow96 said:
Whoa, which Samus is the best? Now I want to take her helmet off at the end of OM and reveal herself to be Christina Hendricks...

Get 100% and you might see her in a g-banger.

Hunters and other M face are the best ones, the screen they always show of the Metroid Prime 1 face is just a good shot, in the video in the game it looks bad and reminds me of a shitty spanish "famous" woman.

And I like the mole.

Synless said:
I find it wierd that after all these years of showing Samus's face they decided to add that random mole on her chin.

Was thought by Sakamoto since Super Metroid.

Synless

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Hunters and other M face are the best ones, the screen they always show of the Metroid Prime 1 face is just a good shot, in the video in the game it looks bad and reminds me of a shitty spanish "famous" woman.

And I like the mole.

Was thought by Sakamoto since Super Metroid.
If he thought this since Super Metroid, why didn't he include it in Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission?

mantidor

Samus' design gets worst with each iteration, this Zero suit heels are completely ridiculous, there's no possible way to defend this crap. Seriously at this point anyone who doesn't see the Zero Suit as a plain sexualization of Samus is in denial.

My only hope left is that Samus design is anything but consistent, hopefully the next game will throw this shit out the window. But it's so sad how more and more the Zero suit becomes "canon" when is one of the most stupid designs for video game female characters, and thats saying a lot.

Synless said:
If he thought this since Super Metroid, why didn't he include it in Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission?

Dont know, ask it to him.
Its real, theres an interview with the Super Metroid team (at the time of that game) were he says it. Its on the Metroid Database if i rememeber correctly.
Even more, theres concept art of the Metroid Prime Samus face with the mole, that was not in the final game because they wanted to save memory so the copypasted one side of the face texture (or something like that, someone said this in one of the other m threads that was closed).

mantidor said:
Samus' design gets worst with each iteration, this Zero suit heels are completely ridiculous, there's no possible way to defend this crap. Seriously at this point anyone who doesn't see the Zero Suit as a plain sexualization of Samus is in denial.

My only hope left is that Samus design is anything but consistent, hopefully the next game will throw this shit out the window. But it's so sad how more and more the Zero suit becomes "canon" when is one of the most stupid designs for video game female characters, and thats saying a lot.

Sakamoto says it doesnt appear too much in the game. And the only bad thing I see are the heels, the rest is your typical science fiction anime space suit and its very similar to the other games where it appeared, I find the Super metroid black suit more sexualized than this, and I think this was already talk in one of the closed threads.
The heels are added becuase they are idiots, lots of girls in japan ware those shitty heels when the do cosplay characters because they want to look taller. I find them like frankestein shoes.

Kard8p3

mantidor said:

You're not exaggerating at all.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Synless said:
His artists thought differently?

It's like IGA's lottery man, his team down-voted that idea, same could apply here.

wsippel

Banned
mantidor said:

There sure is a way: It looks sexy. And there's nothing wrong with Samus looking sexy. She's still strong and everything. I for one have no problem with sexy looking women, and I don't think any less of them just because they dress sexy. Even the heels aren't nearly as ridiculous as, say, Kaine's outfit in Nier who wears pumps during fights.

Anyway, the Zero suit (heels aside) makes sense no matter how you look at it. It's exactly the kind of clothing one would want to be wearing under armor, regardless of the gender. Much more so than the weird bikinis in the older Metroids. Those were sexualization. The Zero suit definitely isn't.

AgentOtaku said:
This stuff IS canonical right?

Yeah, the story was done by Sakamoto to go with Zero Mission.

Kard8p3 said:
Ridley is awesome in this. A must read for metroid fans.

Best Nintendo villian ever. The dialogues he has with Samus are awesome. Also is a good read to know better things about the chozo and Mother Brain.

Kard8p3

I decided to skim through the manga again and can see that Ridley is not at all happy with Adam. He seems to want revenge and I wonder if he'll get it in Other M.

mantidor

wsippel said:
Anyway, the Zero suit (heels aside) makes sense no matter how you look at it. It's exactly the kind of clothing one would want to be wearing under armor, regardless of the gender. Much more so than the weird bikinis in the older Metroids. Those were sexualization. The Zero suit definitely isn't.

The Zero Suit is always shown with an ass shot. The Zero suit is also now front and center in all the ads, even if it's only there for a fraction of the game. It's painfully obvious Samus is far more sexualized than before and how can people not see that is beyond me. As tacky as the 8 bit bikini was, it was still just 8 pixels, and it's an obscure easter egg, and it was a damn 8 pixel drawing! even Super's protrayal was a caricature, and all of these weren't there as a reason to play the game. Nintendo is selling the Zero Suit as the reason to play Metroid now, specially in Japan. It's just disappointing, Samus had such great potential to be a great character when she still wasn't this fully fleshed out, now she's outright ridiculous, a generic, "sexy" videogame character, with a dumb and contrived past, another Lara Croft.

Ugh and the manga is terrible, thanks to remind me.

At least the games are freaking awesome.

ASIS

So we are complaining about freaking heels now? 0_o.

I'll admit, I like the artstyle in the prime games much more than MOM but c'mon! Heels? Really?!

Boney

Banned
Kard8p3 said:
I decided to skim through the manga again and can see that Ridley is not at all happy with Adam. He seems to want revenge and I wonder if he'll get it in Other M.
That's the most certain outcome. I'm still sticking to the cheesy Adam giving his life for Samus plotpoint though.

mantidor said:
The Zero Suit is always shown with an ass shot. The Zero suit is also now front and center in all the ads, even if it's only there for a fraction of the game. It's painfully obvious Samus is far more sexualized than before and how can people not see that is beyond me. As tacky as the 8 bit bikini was, it was still just 8 pixels, and it's an obscure easter egg, and it was a damn 8 pixel drawing! even Super's protrayal was a caricature, and all of these weren't there as a reason to play the game. Nintendo is selling the Zero Suit as the reason to play Metroid now, specially in Japan. It's just disappointing, Samus had such great potential to be a great character when she still wasn't this fully fleshed out, now she's outright ridiculous, a generic, "sexy" videogame character, with a dumb and contrived past, another Lara Croft.

i completely disagree. This new angle is shown to let people know that this game is more than just a shooter, that there's a person, more importantly a woman under the armor. That's exactly what they're going for this game, and yeah, it's different than Super, and even Fusion, but that's the developers vision for it, I respect it and embrace it.

The portrayals are in no way a Lara Croft type of deal with over sexualization for stupid teenagers.

Kard8p3

_Alkaline_ said:
I wonder if the game will explain why the Federation kept Ridley on board the BSL.

I'd guess it'll probably show the events that lead to him being on the BSL. It'll probably show the beginning stages of the metroid lab on the BSL as well.

Beth Cyra

mantidor said:

At least the games are freaking awesome.

A part of me wants to think you realize you are going far overboard to try and make a point but underneath it all you realize that the suit makes since because t it would be crazy to have bare skin rub up against armour all the time.

More so that the suit would be skin tight because it makes zero sense having it big and bluky, it would do nothing, even less so under the huge pile of metal.

Sadly though I think you are just an fool who wants to make it so women can't be good looking in anyway other wise you will run to hills screaming about sexualtization and bad character designs/traits. Also despite the fact that she is nothing like Laura Croft and no to mention that so far they have showed her having a caring/motherly effectionate side by being attached to a baby Metroid and not hitting on men/women.

mantidor

TruePrime said:
A part of me wants to think you realize you are going far overboard to try and make a point but underneath it all you realize that the suit makes since because t it would be crazy to have bare skin rub up against armour all the time.

More so that the suit would be skin tight because it makes zero sense having it big and bluky, it would do nothing, even less so under the huge pile of metal.

Sadly though I think you are just an fool who wants to make it so women can't be good looking in anyway other wise you will run to hills screaming about sexualtization and bad character designs/traits. Also despite the fact that she is nothing like Laura Croft and no to mention that so far they have showed her having a caring/motherly effectionate side by being attached to a baby Metroid and not hitting on men/women.

It's funny how any criticism to the Zero Suit is dismissed as an internet white knight rant. Yes all of us who find her portrayal dumb and overly sexualized want every women in videogames to look ugly, yeah thats it. To note, my favorite female character is Karen Sjet from homeworld, who is actually naked the whole game, and obviously designed as a beautiful woman, but she isn't the bimbo Samus now is, she's leagues beyond Samus, in story, character and personality.

You people should keep in mind that what started this rant was those absurd heels, trying to defend the zero suit with those is laughable.

Beth Cyra

mantidor said:
It's funny how any criticism to the Zero Suit is dismissed as an internet white knight rant. Yes all of us who find her portrayal dumb and overly sexualized want every women in videogames to look ugly, yeah thats it. To note, my favorite female character is Karen Sjet from homeworld, who is actually naked the whole game, and obviously designed as a beautiful woman, but she isn't the bimbo Samus now is, she's leagues beyond Samus, in story, character and personality.

You people should keep in mind that what started this rant was those absurd heels, trying to defend the zero suit with those is laughable.

Who in the hell defended those heels? Every single person has said they where dumb.

There is a difference between giving critcism about the heels and then ignoring all logic and trying to say a Body Suit that would protect a woman from a suit of metal is somehow a thinnly vailed attempt to make hide over sexualitzation which is what you have done.

Either give a reason for Samus to be a bimbo or shut up because she has done nothing in game or out to give the impression of a bimbo accept have tits and a nice ass.

Edit: Last I checked a woman completely dismissing an entire elite squads ablities kicking space pirate ass and showing more postive emotion to a parasite then any sexual advances towards any human ever =/= Bimbo.

Beth Cyra

Tathanen said:
Oh my god who gives a shit.

I do because it's not fucking true. Even if you don't give a shit about the story going around and making shit up isn't right.

Saying point blank that Samus=Bimbo when she does NOTHING in game to earn this slur is bullshit.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
TruePrime said:
I do because it's not fucking true. Even if you don't give a shit about the story going around and making shit up isn't right.

Saying point blank that Samus=Bimbo when she does NOTHING in game to earn this slur is bullshit.

TruePrime
Wears His Passion For Samus Like A Thorny Crown
(Today, 12:30 AM)
Reply | Quote

Beth Cyra

Gouty said:
TruePrime
Wears His Passion For Samus Like A Thorny Crown
(Today, 12:30 AM)
Reply | Quote

I hate that people that would lie about a games story or characters, it has nothing to do with Samus. Really they maybe bad but making stuff up is just dumb.

Besides I am more of Lightning/Rinoa fan personally.

Edit 2: Also I was already given a title even if it wasn't by a mod. Agent of Satan.

Boney

Banned
TruePrime said:
I hate that people that would lie about a games story or characters, it has nothing to do with Samus. Really they maybe bad but making stuff up is just dumb.

Besides I am more of Lightning/Rinoa fan personally.

Edit 2: Also I was already given a title even if it wasn't by a mod. Agent of Satan.
Well you do like FFXIII a lot...

Beth Cyra

Boney said:
Well you do like FFXIII a lot...

Well are you saying that because I said I liked Lightning or more that the Agent of Satan was fitting?

If it is the second option, it would seem that I have to agree.:lol

Boney

Banned
TruePrime said:
Well are you saying that because I said I liked Lightning or more that the Agent of Satan was fitting?

If it is the second option, it would seem that I have to agree.:lol
Emcee's title yeah...

and just checked the 3DS thread.. yep.. Agent of Satan alright..

Beth Cyra

Boney said:
Emcee's title yeah...

and just checked the 3DS thread.. yep.. Agent of Satan alright..

I am hoping for an upgrade one day. Sadly though I don't think it will happen.

MGS 2>3
FF XIII >VI and Tactics
Re5 and CV > 4 and 3
And of course because we are in a Metroid thread
Prime 3 and Fusion > Prime and Super

Still just and Agent though sadly. Still I am quite happy, my ascent up the ranks went rather smoothly all things considered.

Teknoman

Kard8p3 said:
Ridley is awesome in this. A must read for metroid fans.

I've never noticed how creepy Ridley was until now.

2lm3us6.jpg

Ridley in a moment of pity even more so.

6yl7yp.jpg

Boney

Banned
Oh Teknoman, I'm pretty sure you read it, but from Ghaleon's music thread comes the info from Other M's composer..

tomjenkins said:
Kuniaki Haishima

Other M will be the first video game he has composed for, he worked on the soundtracks for the animes Monster, Blue Gender, Gasaraki, master Keaton, and Neo Ranga. He should provide an interesting new take on the Metroid franchise's music.

Poyunch

Samus sure does have a lot of dads. :lol

Anyway it's weird that the manga conflicts with the game so much. In the manga Adam was fine with Samus not being a Federation soldier anymore but in Other M he definitely seems mad.

Kard8p3

Rush2thestart said:
So is Nintendo going to advertise this or what? We're like 3 weeks from launch. =/

I would hope so but we still don't even have an English version of the story trailer or a translation of the Iwata asks. They're sure taking their sweet time with all this.

Boney

Banned
PounchEnvy said:

Anyway it's weird that the manga conflicts with the game so much. In the manga Adam was fine with Samus not being a Federation soldier anymore but in Other M he definitely seems mad.
It's gonna be a heart warming story of them being reunited.. awwww
With Adam acting cold because they're in a suicide mission :O

metroid... deal with it!

fuck top page :mad:

Nessus

PounchEnvy said:

Maybe he's being passive aggressive.

mantidor

Boney said:
Oh Teknoman, I'm pretty sure you read it, but from Ghaleon's music thread comes the info from Other M's composer..

Monster's soundtrack was great, and from what I've heard other M has a great soundtrack as well.

Kard8p3

mantidor said:
Monster's soundtrack was great, and from what I've heard other M has a great soundtrack as well.

For whatever reason the music has been my biggest concern so I'm glad to see it's in good hands.

evangd007

beelzebozo said:
jodie foster / katee sackhoff

I'll see that and raise you a Yvonne Strahovski.

TruePrime said:

Ever since Other M was announced and known to have a "strong story component" there has been nonstop bitching about how it ruins Samus's character, who has more or less in game terms been a blank slate for players to apply their own interpretations to. The bitching comes from known information about the story contradicting these interpretations, which to me is just as bad as the bitching and moaning that went on when Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out where people complained that it contradicted their fan fics.

Top Bottom