• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS: Ground Zeroes to Phantom Pain Save Transfer

Replayed GZ yesterday and today I started the secondary missions. Goddamn, rescuing the Eye and the Finger is a pain in the ass, I'm almost giving up. If you trigger an alert it's a "gameover", since the game barely gives you any time until they escape (and the other is miles away from the place you currently are). And that time is to kill them, not to tranq/stun them and carry them to a landing zone.

When I finally managed to get to one of them, I started carrying him to the landing zone and was spotted. I didn't restart checkpoint fast enough and one guard killed the guy I was carrying, activating an automatic checkpoint and screwing me over.

Perhaps rescuing them in the opposite order is easier...

In my experience, they each have an exit that they always attempt to escape from. A quick way to get through it with everything you need to transfer to TPP is to rescue all of the POWs and wait at the prison camp for one of the targets. Take him and the other guard out and extract via the nearby chopper spot.

Next, go into the armory across from the gate to the admin building and get the rocket launcher. Fire it at something/someone to trigger an alert and then run or hijack the nearby vehicle. Go over to the nearest exit, which is where the other target will be headed on a jeep. If you took the vehicle, park it so it's partially blocking the exit out of the mission area, which will prompt the target to exit his jeep when he arrives. Then you just have to pick him up and run out of the mission area with him.

Replayed GZ yesterday and today I started the secondary missions. Goddamn, rescuing the Eye and the Finger is a pain in the ass, I'm almost giving up. If you trigger an alert it's a "gameover", since the game barely gives you any time until they escape (and the other is miles away from the place you currently are). And that time is to kill them, not to tranq/stun them and carry them to a landing zone.

When I finally managed to get to one of them, I started carrying him to the landing zone and was spotted. I didn't restart checkpoint fast enough and one guard killed the guy I was carrying, activating an automatic checkpoint and screwing me over.

Pick up the sniper rifle (if you have it unlocked) when you spawn and blast your way across the map. If you snipe everyone in towers, it becomes 1000x easier. You can even snipe the guys standing next to the VIPs and they wont flee.

I saw this method on uknighted's stream Friday or so: if you wait long enough the two will meet up outside the front gate and talk about one having a bad feeling. They'll get in the same jeep with two guards to leave the area via the small bridge close to the starting point. Tranq a guard beforehand and leave him on the bridge so the jeep will stop to check. Tranq everyone after they exit the jeep, load Eye and Finger back on, and drive out.

For the Intel mission, I need to extract both the contact and the bald marine right? I speed ran it to get the tapes but not the people.

I don't think I'll 100% this by tomorrow lol, I'm lazy and I got work later.

Gvitor

Just managed it. Doing it in the reverse order is way easier, since the shades guy doesn't leave the tower. That was the main problem with the way I was going, since he left the tower even if I wasn't spotted, and was accompanied by 2 guys in an area that already had 2.

I had to retry checkpoint manually 2 times to avoid getting the guy I was carrying killed, so it ended up rank A.

Thanks everybody.

Boke1879

I can extract the prisoners and VIPs on normal mode and that will be enough for it to transfer over right? No need to do the same on Hard?

Soodanim

I still need to collect all of the tapes and get baldy and contact from that particular mission. Is there any incentive/benefit to getting 100% (aside from captured/rescued people transferring)?

Afrodium

Banned
There's a really easy way to extract both The Eye and The Finger.

Basically, you stealth your way over to where The Finger starts out and tranq him. This should set off an alert. Book it over to the big door of the admin building and wait. The Eye will attempt to escape via Jeep through the door. When it opens, run in and tranq him in the face. He'll fall out of the Jeep fast asleep. Pick him up and put him in the passenger seat. Hop in the driver's seat and drive to where The Finger is sleeping. Grab him, put him in the car, and drive out an exit.

Ludens

Banned
I feel like Shareplaying the game and asking some of you pros to help me unlock things :3

Have anyone confirmed that you need the game to be 100% completed?

No because actually no one was able to to the transfer, servers will probably go up on toesday, with code redeeming on PSN too.

Didn't want to make a new thread but, should I play peace walker and ground zeroes before digging into Phantom Pain?

Yeah, you shouldve a long time ago. There was ample time considering the lengthy Phantom Pain release schedule. Peace Walker, in particular, is a long ass meaty game.

At this point, watch a summary online.

Silly question... Do you have check off all the boxes on a single playthrough? Like when extracting all the prisoners.. can I get all of them on one playthrough and then not do it on the next one while going for something else and still keep those people I had gotten earlier?

I don't believe so. I think you can extract people in different playthroughs and it adds together.

iLLmAtlc

There's plenty of tranq ammo, shoot everybody. Just don't be hasty and remember there will be guards pretty much everywhere.

IRC the bald guy will be very close to your starting zone, like in the area just outside the ground zeroes start point. If you go there first you should get him fast. I forget if calling the helicopter triggers anything but if it does just hide him in the GZ start point and extract the two together.

JP

I don't think it's possible to download a 100% PS4 game save is it?
There are two ways to unlock content in TPP.

1. Transfer your Ground Zeroes save to TPP
2. go to core.konami.com and enter the code that came with your early retail copy of Ground Zeroes. If you bought the game digitally, I believe you do not need to do this step.

As for your Ground Zeroes save, here's what you need to do in GZ in order to unlock everything:

qk8JApG.jpg
How long is taking people to do these things? I've completed the main game more than once but it was a while ago and I really can't remember exactly what I did in the game.

Revven

How long is taking people to do these things? I've completed the main game more than once but it was a while ago and I really can't remember exactly what I did in the game.

If you're good at the game (as in know where they all are exactly and have a rough idea on soldier placements near where these people are located) it can take anywhere from just an hour to an hour and a half to get everything (a little more if you need to complete Deja Vu and Jaimus Vu on both Normal and Hard to get the skins). If you're not good at the game and re-acclimating yourself with it I'd expect it could take 3 hours or more since you would be playing it a lot more safely and/or may extract them in several plays (yes you do not have to extract everyone in a single run for a mission, you can get who you want, finish, and then go back in and get the others you didn't get and it will still count).

got to 95% last night. Unless anyone knows of a super easy way to S rank the eye and finger mission, or the destroy AA guns mission...i doubt i will get 100%. I really, REALLY hate those two missions

I already S ranked everything on ps4, but doing now on xbox cus thats what I will be buying it for. I remember these two missions taking me several hours

JP

If you're good at the game (as in know where they all are exactly and have a rough idea on soldier placements near where these people are located) it can take anywhere from just an hour to an hour and a half to get everything (a little more if you need to complete Deja Vu and Jaimus Vu on both Normal and Hard to get the skins). If you're not good at the game and re-acclimating yourself with it I'd expect it could take 3 hours or more since you would be playing it a lot more safely and/or may extract them in several plays (yes you do not have to extract everyone in a single run for a mission, you can get who you want, finish, and then go back in and get the others you didn't get and it will still count).
Thanks. I\ll probably be a bit rusty but can use guides to male it easier and it'll all be practice for the main game.

Roto13

I hope you don't have to get every prisoner/soldier in the same run. I'd rather not have to get the spy and the bald soldier in the same run of Classified Intel Acquisition.

Spazznid

got to 95% last night. Unless anyone knows of a super easy way to S rank the eye and finger mission, or the destroy AA guns mission...i doubt i will get 100%. I really, REALLY hate those two missions

I already S ranked everything on ps4, but doing now on xbox cus thats what I will be buying it for. I remember these two missions taking me several hours

YouTube is your friend.

Takes a few seconds to S rank the AA mission if you have a sniper rifle. Look it up.

So, I have a US(It was cheaper to buy on sale) GZ save file, but a UK Phantom Pain copy - I also have UK GZ from ps plus. However, I wanted to know if my US save file would be OK, since I've only completed the story so far on GZ, I don't mind playing it again.

Bossun

So how does characters transfer works?

I did the missions to get S ranking then I know that I did each mission at least once where I extracted everyone of importance.

But then I did the missions again for the trials where I didn't bother to extract people.

Will it still transfer the characters I extracted?

What's bothering me is that I sometime had to kill people and be really fast (and no extracting) to get S ranking and that's the runs that are saved for the play records and I'm afraid that those are the runs that count for the transfer....

Ultimately I did save every prisoners and important guard at least once, of that I'm sure..

Revven

I hope you don't have to get every prisoner/soldier in the same run. I'd rather not have to get the spy and the bald soldier in the same run of Classified Intel Acquisition.

You don't. It keeps track of it. You can do a run, get the bald guy, extract and finish the mission with his tape and then go back in and get the spy instead.

Roto13

I stuck the bald marine in the chopper and nobody said anything about extracting him. Does that mean he was dead? :p I did get shot at a bit.

You don't. It keeps track of it. You can do a run, get the bald guy, extract and finish the mission with his tape and then go back in and get the spy instead.

That's good. That means I got both the Eye and the Finger, then.

JP

Going back to what I said above. If I was to get the Rescue Trophy by saving the escaped prisoner, do I then have to complete the whole Ground Zeroes mission or can I just move onto the next one once the prisoner has been airlifted?

Revven

I stuck the bald marine in the chopper and nobody said anything about extracting him. Does that mean he was dead? :p I did get shot at a bit.

That's good. That means I got both the Eye and the Finger, then.

To know you got the bald guy when the mission ends, it should say in yellow text on the left, "Extracted bald soldier". Another additional way to know is on the score board as it usually gives you a bonus for extracting them, it'll be under the No Reflex bonus.
Going back to what I said above. If I was to get the Rescue Trophy by saving the escaped prisoner, do I then have to complete the whole Ground Zeroes mission or can I just move onto the next one once the prisoner has been airlifted?

I don't believe it saves until you finish the mission so even if you got the trophy mid-mission the game hasn't logged you as having gotten the prisoner until you finish it.

iLLmAtlc

For AA as long as you have A rank you spawn the rocket launcher at the beginning. You can sit there and pick off the 3 guns and the vehicle in like 5 minutes from the spawn point, easy S rank.

Erheller

? Kojima mission is the easiest. Just use a non-lethal weapon and that's it, you'll probably achieve S rank in your first try. I think the hardest mission is actually the "Kill two objectives" on Hard, because you NEED to clear the whole mission by killing those two enemies (so this means no "No kills" bonus), so you need to compensate it by speedrunning the mission by doing it under 1 minute and 20 seconds or so. That one is the only one I needed try three times.

The "Eliminate the Renegade Threat" mission would be a lot worse if
there wasn't a sniper rifle in a truck on the bridge 30 seconds from your spawn. Once you get the sniper rifle, you just have to tranq all nearby guards, snipe both targets from the eastern watchtower, and run out of the mission area.

Just use this method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUSduMQInuE

You can get a slightly faster time by planting C4 on the first AA emplacement you find (detonating it after you crash your first truck) and using a recoilless rifle on the LAV.

Roto13

To know you got the bald guy when the mission ends, it should say in yellow text on the left, "Extracted bald soldier". Another additional way to know is on the score board as it usually gives you a bonus for extracting them, it'll be under the No Reflex bonus.

Guess he done died, then. Whoops!

Revven

So how does characters transfer works?

I did the missions to get S ranking then I know that I did each mission at least once where I extracted everyone of importance.

But then I did the missions again for the trials where I didn't bother to extract people.

Will it still transfer the characters I extracted?

What's bothering me is that I sometime had to kill people and be really fast (and no extracting) to get S ranking and that's the runs that are saved for the play records and I'm afraid that those are the runs that count for the transfer....

Ultimately I did save every prisoners and important guard at least once, of that I'm sure..

If you know you extracted them once before you don't need to do it again. You can double check the prisoners by going into your Play Records and going into each mission's play record. The prisoners rescued (or extracted) count is near the bottom of each mission's record list so if you see you got 4 (or whatever the max count is) prisoners in the main mission in your play record that means you got them all and the game has saved it. That's how it keeps track of it.

The only caveat with that is that it does count repeats, so if you did a repeat playthrough and extracted the same prisoner it will still add to your prisoner count in Play Records. So, if you got the same prisoner(s) across multiple playthroughs it will keep adding to the count in the Play Record which can make it difficult to know if you really got everyone.

But basically, as long as you know you got them once you don't need to do it again -- the game doesn't overwrite previous mission data in that way. Again, just check your Play Records and you'll see the prisoner count and the special VIPs extracted counts as well.

Top Bottom