• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS4 review - Swedish LEVEL #26 (NO SPOILERS!)

sykoex said:
Oh boy, I'm really worried for the EGM/1up review now.

Don't be. It's not like their review is gonna change your mind about the game.

Unless the somehow manage to reveal that Konami paid off all other reviewers and forced drugged Puerto-Rican children to press copies of the game manually.

I'd still buy it.

AAK

That Gamepro review sounded like a review from a fan of the series. So we can all pretty much confirm that the game will deliver.

Whatever the critics say I will just ignore them... especially the zero punctuation dude.

scoobs

DemonSwordsman said:
lol at 1up people pretending to be more credible reviewers then the rest of them.

They try to look more credible by complaining more than is necessary.

Except for gears of war, that game was perfect.

Really, I don't think there should be any concern about the reviews for this game. I'm sure the positives will out weigh the negatives... and in some cases the negatives can be subjective things.

Yoboman

Gold Member
sykoex said:
Oh boy, I'm really worried for the EGM/1up review now.
Well, hopefully they can write a good review for a high scoring game that doesn't sound like

Dan Hsu being hyperbolic said:
Halo 3's campaign is better in every way imaginable. Subtly beautiful, rich and lush graphics, a heart-pounding orchestrated score, new weapons, vehicles, and enemies

Sure, no one aspect of the game is life-changing on its own, but perhaps the package as a whole is.

or

Dan Hsu making no sense said:
You can always find reasons not to give a game a review score of 10. Control issues (Gears of War has that). A.I. problems (that, too). Bad dialogue or storytelling (yes on both). Linear levels, online lag, limited modes (yup, yup, and yup).

DrBo42

Yoboman said:
Well, hopefully they can write a good review for a high scoring game that doesn't sound like

or
Did you wake up with blood in your stool today after going to a 1up party? Jesus.

DrBo42 said:
Don't listen to those fools. Continue to be skeptical and unsure about the game, it'll make your experience better.

Kojima Productions are just one of those studios, you know? I will never doubt their ability to deliver well-crafted masterpieces. Me forcing myself to doubt this game would be a hilarious lie.

Konami will have my money.

Yoboman

Gold Member
DrBo42 said:
Did you wake up with blood in your stool today after going to a 1up party? Jesus.
Hey, if Skip says they're moving away from Dan Hsu's style of review then I'm all for it

DrBo42

akachan ningen said:
Yeah, that's the only possible explanation for criticizing 1up's pitch perfect reviews isn't it?
Yoboman said:
Hey, if Skip says they're moving away from Dan Hsu's style of review then I'm all for it

Yeah, totally criticize an entire site for one guy's writing style. Unless there are others you guys wish to quote.

I'd be wary of Gamepro. That magazine is pretty much a joke to me now. Also, that hyperbole is through the fucking roof.

With that said, I'd be extremely pissed if the game wasn't awarded a ten or the equivalent of a ten. GTAIV is honestly undeserving of such a score as is Gears and the Halo sequels.

The thing about the Metal Gear games is that they come very close to rivaling cinema in terms of storytelling, characterization, homage, and overall artistry. It very well might be the most immersive franchise I can think of because those games create a world that is strange, yet unique at the same time.

I got a giggle out of this, and I though MGSGAF would enjoy.

210fyvl.jpg

ZeoVGM

Banned
Absinthe said:
I'd be wary of Gamepro. That magazine is pretty much a joke to me now. Also, that hyperbole is through the fucking roof.

With that said, I'd be extremely pissed if the game wasn't awarded a ten or the equivalent of a ten. GTAIV is honestly undeserving of such a score as is Gears and the Halo sequels.

Halo 3 disagrees with that one. One of the best console FPS ever.

Yoboman

Gold Member
DrBo42 said:
Yeah, totally criticize an entire site for one guy's writing style. Unless there are others you guys wish to quote.
Why are you so defensive about 1up? You're making me wonder what ended up inside you after the "1up party" :lol

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
Why do all Japanese TV shows have some laughing commentator's head in a square in the corner?

Unfortunately, I haven't come across the video, sorry. Pulled it off 2ch. I haven't seen it on youtube and niconico is down for maintence. If I see a link I'll post it. Sorry. :<

DrBo42

Yoboman said:
Why are you so defensive about 1up? You're making me wonder what ended up inside you after the "1up party" :lol
:lol Just playing devil's advocate. I don't particularly care for them or their "hip journalist personalities." The day a gaming journalist is asked for his autograph, (I know this has happened to Shane)something is very wrong.

antiloop

I bet a couple of reviewers will compare the cover system to Gears/RE4.

But as much as I like the cover system in Gears of War I think it would make this game too easy. I want more action.
That's why we will have the Octocamo.

Vagrant

I just saw the Gamepro review. Totally over the top. I'm taking every review with a huge grain of salt.
Gamepro said:
David Hayter's role as the gravel-throated Solid Snake is a performance for the ages. This is video game storytelling at its absolute best, and represents a new high watermark for the craft, easily surpassing the suburb Bioshock and subversive Grand Theft auto 4.
These are are moments that will have Hollywood directors like Micheal Bay shifting uncomfortably in their seats. Why watch the latest big-budget action movie when you can play a game as powerful as this?
Kojima has fooled us again: These aren't pre-rendered movies, as many had assumed, but in-game assets running in real time.

Yoboman

Gold Member
antiloop said:
I bet a couple of reviewers will compare the cover system to Gears/RE4.

But as much as I like the cover system in Gears of War I think it would make this game too easy. I want more action.
That's why we will have the Octocamo.
RE4 has a cover system?

These are moments that will have Hollywood directors like Micheal Bay shifting uncomfortably in their seats.

shit every cutscene in the previous three games are handled better than anything Bay has done.

But, I get the point :lol

Safe Bet

Banned
antiloop said:
Makes me wonder if IGN will also find this oscar worthy.
titanic.jpg

Wikipedia said:
Awards

Titanic began its awards sweep starting with the Golden Globes, winning four, namely Best Motion Picture (Drama), Best Director, Best Original Score, and Best Song.[41] Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Winslet, Gloria Stuart, and James Cameron's screenplay were also nominees but lost.[42] It won the ACE "Eddie" Award, ASC Award, Art Directors Guild Award, Cinema Audio Society Award, Screen Actors Guild Awards, (Best Supporting Actress Gloria Stuart), The Directors Guild of America Award, and Broadcast Film Critics Association Award (Best Director James Cameron), and The Producer Guild of America Awards. It was also nominated for ten BAFTA awards, including Best Film and Director.

It tied All About Eve for having the most Oscar nominations in history, with 14. It won Best Picture and Best Director. It also picked up Best Costume Design, Best Visual Effects, Best Sound Mixing, Best Sound Editing, Best Original Score, Best Film Editing, Best Original Song, Best Art Direction, and Best Cinematography. Kate Winslet, Gloria Stuart and the make-up artists were the three nominees that failed to win. James Cameron's original screenplay and Leonardo DiCaprio were not nominees.[43] It was the second movie to win eleven Academy Awards, after Ben-Hur. Return of the King would also match this record in 2004, with its 11 wins from 11 nominations.

The ending credits' song also won the Grammy Awards for Best Song Written Specifically for a Motion Picture or for Television. The film also won Best Male Performance for Leonardo DiCaprio and Best Movie at the MTV Movie Awards. The film was voted as Best Film at the People's Choice Awards. It won various awards outside the United States, including the Awards of the Japanese Academy as the Best Foreign Film of the Year. Titanic eventually won nearly 90 awards and had an additional 47 nominations from various award-giving bodies around the world.

Vagrant

brandonh83 said:
shit every cutscene in the previous three games are handled better than anything Bay has done.

But, I get the point :lol

Looking back, perhaps that particular quote wasn't quite as hyperbolic as the others.

Top Bottom