• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS4 review - Swedish LEVEL #26 (NO SPOILERS!)

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
antiloop said:
Remove overall rating. Problem solved.

Scores means that the games are competing and with all the 10s given out this generation reviewers feel the need and pressure to make the game they like stick out.

Games shouldn't compete against each other. Especially if one is Mario Galaxy and one is Gears of War.

What do they have in common? Not even the reviewer I bet.

The rating score is the TL;DR of the games industry. Up to ten pages for a review, but yeah, it can be easily summed up by an number out of ten.

Get rid of them altogether. Have a "summary opinion" or something.

I lot of people need to know how to handle hype, I love it, i love reading stuff like the Gamepro magazine, not for a detailed assesment but just to know that someone out there is in love with the game. If this game is one of the best you ever played, let it out, say it, dont hold it in cause you dont want to stir up hype.

Seriously, you guys are worried about hype, hype does not hurt unless you let it. My expectations are exactly where they should be for a game of this magnitude (through the roof), the game will be of a certain quality regardless of how much hype there is. Never has hype hurt my opinions of games, if its a game I feel is one of the best I played it was going to be that way regardless of the hype. RE4, did hype hurt that no, MGS3, nope, Mario Galaxy, no. If hype did effect your opinion of any of those games or any game, then the issue is with you.

Have fun with it, rarely do games this big come out. Lets keep hyping this baby up. WOOOOOO!!!!

MiamiWesker said:
I lot of people need to know how to handle hype, I love it, i love reading stuff like the Gamepro magazine, not for a detailed assesment but just to know that someone out there is in love with the game. If this game is one of the best you ever played, let it out, say it, dont hold it in cause you dont want to stir up hype.

Seriously, you guys are worried about hype, hype does not hurt unless you let it. My expectations are exactly where they should be for a game of this magnitude (through the roof), the game will be of a certain quality regardless of how much hype there is. Never has hype hurt my opinions of games, if its a game I feel is one of the best I played it was going to be that way regardless of the hype. RE4, did hype hurt that no, MGS3, nope, Mario Galaxy, no. If hype did effect your opinion of any of those games or any game, then the issue is with you.

Have fun with it, rarely do games this big come out. Lets keep hyping this baby up. WOOOOOO!!!!

This.

I'm not gonna lie. I love reading reviews/previews like this when I already KNOW that I'm gonna purchase the game. It's bitter-sweet, really. On one hand, it makes the wait more unbearable, and on the other, knowing someone is so head-over-heels in love with the game keeps reminding me that the game I've been waiting for four years is about to come out. My personal game of the forever is within my grasp.

Apparently I wasn't informed that this is a cheer-leading only thread.

Shouldn't be surprised. A lot of people like being swept up by the hype and taken away to lands unknown. The generally don't like it when someone is being a downer.

Jtrizzy

I can't remember which thread was debating the best game in the series and people were listing their favorite, but I'd be interested in seeing it polled on GAF. (Even though I couldn't vote in it)

MiamiWesker said:

Spank you very much!

Jtrizzy said:
I can't remember which thread was debating the best game in the series and people were listing their favorite, but I'd be interested in seeing it polled on GAF. (Even though I couldn't vote in it)

MGS3 will win if gaf has good taste. :D

MollyMillions said:
Apparently I wasn't informed that this is a cheer-leading only thread. <gets out pom poms>

Duh, this is the GOTF, remember? No other game is as good and no other game will ever be as good. This game will change the gaming industry forever once Kojima gives the green light to unleash the next gen...hopefully, that time is soon.

MGS2 had the better story but MGS3 wins overall.

Xtyle

MollyMillions said:
But all of the progression you've mentioned is within the scope of the MGS series itself. None of the gameplay innovations mentioned are UNHEARD of in the stealth action genre. In fact, when it comes to camera control and perspective, along with aiming, etc. MGS is actually behind the curve...Subsistence was the first time the long out of date fixed overhead camera was modified.

Now, you're most likely completely correct in assuming that the quality of execution of these elements will be incredible, and probably much more polished and impressive than its competitors (in the same genre). I expect no less from one of the most prominent auteurs in the industry.

This is not the same thing as saying it will change the direction of gaming as a whole...spreading that around is pretty much misinformation.

You can revel in your hype as much as you want...but isn't it enough to say that you expect MGS to be the best Metal Gear game EVAR? I haven't criticized anyone for expecting that...I expect that as well. It's when people start saying it will be the most greatest and envelope-pushingest game ever made by anyone EVAR that I get irritated.

Just want to say that RE4 wasn't the first game to use the over the shoulder camera, and yet, that's the game that is influencing other games in that area.

Forget about mechanics. Many reviewers are saying the storytelling and presentation is unique, and top notch. If that is true. It can influence the stealth action genre and basically game storytelling.

Games that have various degree of influence on their genres and in the industry
Golden Eye N64
Doom
Half Life
FF7
MGS
RE4

They didn't always introduce new gameplay mechanics but they were inspirations for many developers I bet.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
BlockBastard said:
Shouldn't be surprised. A lot of people like being swept up by the hype and taken away to lands unknown. The generally don't like it when someone is being a downer.

Hold on. So saying that I think the game will be great and I expect it to be the best Metal Gear game is "being a downer"?

Making the case for expecting a brilliant MGS game that delivers as opposed to a game that REDEFINES GAMING is not raining on the parade, where I come from.

Anyway, I tried. Fap away, I guess. Ew.

MollyMillions said:
Hold on. So saying that I think the game will be great and I expect it to be the best Metal Gear game is "being a downer"?

Making the case for expecting a brilliant MGS game that delivers as opposed to a game that REDEFINES GAMING is not raining on the parade, where I come from.

You certainly weren't criticizing the game, but I guess my statement can be read as me implying that you were. What I'm saying is: Some people like to be caught up in the hype of their favorite games release. Can't understand how it irritates you so much, though. Some people like to gush over something they love. It's hardly anything worth getting irritated over.

Learn some indifference.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
It's not that I can't handle being irritated..it's that I was enjoying the relatively sane discussion of the 1up commentaries/review sneak peeks, until that Gamepro bit was posted, and then it was like a non-stop flood of "GotF!", "Omg, I can't wait to have my sky-high expectations crushed in two weeks!", etc.

If anything, stuff like that kills my hype for a game (and I know I'm not the only one, judging from my PMs). Obviously (or maybe not) I'm on GAF posting in an MGS4 thread cause I'm excited for it. That doesn't mean we can't elevate the conversation a little.

zoukka

MollyMillions said:

This is NeoHyperbole dude. Trust me you do not want to criticize new games before the dust settles.

But if you must, then at least mask it with many positive things. 2-1 ratio should be efficient.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
zoukka said:
This is NeoHyperbole dude. Trust me you do not want to criticize new games before the dust settles.

But if you must, then at least mask it with many positive things. 2-1 ratio should be efficient.

But...I haven't criticized a new game, dood. I criticized a review that was making it seem like MGS4 was The Second Coming combined with Your First Kiss. I'm willing to accept the possibility that it might indeed BE as hot as my first kiss, but not both of those at the same time. nuh uh.

MollyMillions said:

what so big deal about redifining gaming anway...what games really did that? The gamepro article was full of hyperbole....but this is the final game in what is without a doubt one of the most iconic series in gaming...it may sell less copies, but this is up there with the marios, ffs and zeldas... people expect alot, and admittedly get carried away

Xtyle

zoukka said:

:lol

but you can't criticize a game before release...
I don't think he/she was doing that though..

zoukka

bigben85 said:

It was just a pointer.

And sure you can criticize games before launch. Like bad art! :)

MollyMillions

Neo Member
bigben85 said:

Yeah, she wasn't. :D

All of you hype monsters should stay far, faaar away from that "New MGS4 Screens" thread, though. It's full of meanies saying that MGO indicates that the cover system sucks, etc. it made me <sadpanda>

zoukka

Well I for one liked the old cover system better where you just had to lean to stick a wall. Now you have to press a button to do that. Then again many of my friends had serious problems with MGS-series cover system so maybe the new system is better for them.

Skill-less bastards

MollyMillions

Neo Member
I'm all worried about it now...I kindasorta liked the old cover system too (although it was showing its limitations in MGS3).

I haven't played MGO (PS3 is coming along with MGS LE, shazam) yet. Should I be worried?

zoukka

MollyMillions said:
I'm all worried about it now...I kindasorta liked the old cover system too (although it was showing its limitations in MGS3).

I haven't played MGO (PS3 is coming along with MGS LE, shazam) yet. Should I be worried?

Well the cover system is the last thing youll notice when you fire up MGO/MGS4. For me the Splinter Cell style controls were the biggest gripe, but I wont complain because the game will probably be shooting/action heavy and the controls support this. The cover system is pretty much the same except you'll have to press a button to get snake on the walls.

One thing pisses me off though and it's the fucking floating magic-crosshair. Well even MGS4 can't be perfect :)

EDIT: Yeah you pretty much don't need the cover system in MGO but I'd wager it's much more important in MGS4.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
Rhazer Fusion said:
In general. I played the Haze demo and it seems liked like it was at least a 7-7.5 to me. Maybe I am being too lenient on it? :lol

Metacritic is looking dire. Even the supposedly Sony-Moneyhats-wearing Gamepro says it sucks.

zoukka said:
Well the cover system is the last thing youll notice when you fire up MGO/MGS4. For me the Splinter Cell style controls were the biggest gripe, but I wont complain because the game will probably be shooting/action heavy and the controls support this. The cover system is pretty much the same except you'll have to press a button to get snake on the walls.

One thing pisses me off though and it's the fucking floating magic-crosshair. Well even MGS4 can't be perfect :)

um, wow. Can you elaborate about the magic-crosshair? What is it and what does it do wrong?

/scared

Rainy Dog

MollyMillions said:
Yeah, she wasn't. :D

All of you hype monsters should stay far, faaar away from that "New MGS4 Screens" thread, though. It's full of meanies saying that MGO indicates that the cover system sucks, etc. it made me <sadpanda>

The cover system did suck for MGO. But I'm willing to wager that you'll never need to use it during MGS4 except for activating Octocamo. Apparently, every 3rd person action game needs to play exactly like Gears of War and Uncharted nowadays though.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Rhazer Fusion said:
In general. I played the Haze demo and it seems liked like it was at least a 7-7.5 to me. Maybe I am being too lenient on it? :lol

You'll have my opinions in the Official Thread when Haze gets delivered this week (I ordered from VGP). But all signs point to it being generic at best.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
MollyMillions said:
Metacritic is looking dire. Even the supposedly Sony-Moneyhats-wearing Gamepro says it sucks.

um, wow. Can you elaborate about the magic-crosshair? What is it and what does it do wrong?

/scared
It's just a crosshair that appears on screen ala any other game that uses an over the shoulder cam for shooting. I don't see the issue.

zoukka

MollyMillions said:

/scared

It does nothing wrong but I just feel it doesn't belong to the series. But I'm in the minority on this and it really does make shooting people easier. And that's excatly my problem with it.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
Rez>You said:
It's just a crosshair that appears on screen ala any other game that uses an over the shoulder cam for shooting. I don't see the issue.

Oh, well that's been known since the first gameplay video. I was worried there was some terrible other element to the crosshair that I'd never heard of.

I'm not an MGS purist, at least when it comes to camera perspective and aiming...I DO expect a game that prides itself on its cinematic qualities to have an appropriately cinematic shooting mechanic, and the RE4/GeoW/Uncharted/GTA IV model is certainly that.

<hugs for Hideo> I expect to be saying that a lot over the next couple of weeks.

Vagrant

Zoukka said:
It does nothing wrong but I just feel it doesn't belong to the series. But I'm in the minority on this and it really does make shooting people easier. And that's excatly my problem with it.

You could always switch to FPS mode. No cursor and it should feel like past games.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Vagrant said:
You could always switch to FPS mode. No cursor and it should feel like past games.
For the old-school MGS experience, you only have to turn on auto-aim. When you press L1 you aim classic MGS style and a press of triangle will take you straight from that to FPV totally bypassing the over-the-shoulder cam. Simple.

zoukka

Rez>You said:
For the old-school MGS experience, you only have to turn on auto-aim. When you press L1 you aim classic MGS style and a press of triangle will take you straight from that to FPV totally bypassing the over-the-shoulder cam. Simple.

Fuck yes!

The game went from almost perfect to perfect once again.

DrBo42

MollyMillions said:
Yes and no. While the juvenile and contrary nature of most gaming fanboys (especially on teh internets) will lead someone to enter any given thread on any given game and flatly declare "This game fucking sucks" I think it's readily apparent to see that the amount of fanboys doing just that in a GTA IV or Assassin's Creed or Halo 3 thread will be infinitely more than in a Persona 3 or Okami or No More Heroes or Shadow of the Colossus or (insert more modestly hyped game here).

It's not just because there are more people talking about these bigger games, it's because they go into these games thinking "wtf. IGN gave this a 10?"

That's no way to play a game. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Case in point from a couple pages ago:

I'm willing to bet DrBo42 will be disappointed in this game, or at least claim that it didn't live up to Gamepro's description.
:lol Naw, I know not to take that quote seriously.

The third of June I will be partecipating to a Konami organised MGS4 flash mob event in Milan, in Piazza Duomo. We will be given a "uniform"and battle training simulation will follow (LULZ). Kojima will probably be present.

Expect photos!

theBishop

Banned
We all know this game isn't going to beat recent chart toppers in teh salez. So I don't see why you guys are getting all bent out of shape about review nitpicks.

FabCam

GamePro gave it 5/5 saying "without a doubt one of the best games ever created an satisfies on almost every level."

Mromson

theBishop said:
We all know this game isn't going to beat recent chart toppers in teh salez. So I don't see why you guys are getting all bent out of shape about review nitpicks.
I'm sure as hell gonna do my part in securing the MGS4 most-earned-day1 by buying 4 copies. (EU LE, EU Normal, JPN Normal, EU Bundle)

FabCam said:
GamePro gave it 5/5 saying "without a doubt one of the best games ever created an satisfies on almost every level."
Read up a bit. ;p

Yoboman

Ugh, I just read the Gamepro review. I couldn't get very far. Reads like a fanboy's wet-dream

"It represents a triumph for GAME DESIGN LEGEND Hideo Kojima and enormous coup for Sony's PLAYSTATION 3"

"an unforgettable game that shines as a beacon amidst a sea of mediocrity"

"But as impressive as the gameplay is, it's also amazing on a technical level as well. MGS4 is one of the most visually striking games ever released and also the first game to show off the HIDDEN POWER of the PLAYSTATION 3"

Top Bottom