• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS4 review - Swedish LEVEL #26 (NO SPOILERS!)

MiamiWesker said:
WTF is this!?!?!?!?!?!

mgs4box_01.jpg

mgs4box_02.jpg

I thought you guys said the game was going to ship on the 6th. Do stores have this game already? Retail gaf please explain.

mgs4box_04.jpg

SolidSnakex said:
It looks like someone is really nervous.

Not cause I am afraid of spoilers, I can avoid those fine. I just want to make sure I know the exact date this game gets shipped so I can hope an idiot retailer puts the game out, they catch it quick so you have to be there the day of. My Kmart had Mass Effect out like two weeks before its release.

Dante

MiamiWesker said:
Not cause I am afraid of spoilers, I can avoid those fine. I just want to make sure I know the exact date this game gets shipped so I can hope an idiot retailer puts the game out, they catch it quick so you have to be there the day of. My Kmart had Mass Effect out like two weeks before its release.

Think he meant that dudes awful fingernails :)

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Mets39 said:
Since this thread is kind of "Metal Gear Solid 4 Review Thread":

http://www.playfrance.com/test-ps3-metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots.html

PlayFrance: 9,5/10 ( MGS3 got the same on PF)

i didn't read it entirely (to avoid spoilers) but nothing really new from what i've read. (30 min Cut-scenes, fantastic scenario, they thought the IA is disappointing ...)

Maybe they played it on easy :lol nah, sometimes i find (in MGS games) if you go in all guns blazing the AI gets overwhelmed, compared to when you stealth it, i had one bit in MGS3 i killed everyone then waited for the backup to come, they all ran in a straight line aimed at the first head with the Patriot, fired, and killed all 4 of them, cool stuff.

Mets39

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Maybe they played it on easy :lol nah, sometimes i find (in MGS games) if you go in all guns blazing the AI gets overwhelmed, compared to when you stealth it, i had one bit in MGS3 i killed everyone then waited for the backup to come, they all ran in a straight line aimed at the first head with the Patriot, fired, and killed all 4 of them, cool stuff.

I read the review a little deeper, and it's clear that they played it on medium. But about the IA, they are "disappointed" because there is not a big evolution from the PS2 MGS, so i don't know if we can call that a cons, but that's what they think.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Mets39 said:
I read the review a little deeper, and it's clear that they played it on medium. But about the IA, they are "disappointed" because there is not a big evolution from the PS2 MGS, so i don't know if we can call that a cons, but that's what they think.

IA or AI? I'm not familiar with the IA acronym

NeoUltima

That's an online review...Perhaps that implies that the review embargo is going to lift soon, if it hasn't already.

edit: For more reference, PlayFrance also gave GTAIV a 9.5. They seem to have not ever given a 10 to any game as far as I can see.

Mets39 said:
Well, Hard it is then.

I noticed recently while playing MGS3 again that turning up the difficulty really changes the gameplay for the better. Firstly, your health goes down to a third (or half, something like that) so you can't just run in and take an absurd amount of AK shots to the face while CQC:ing everyone. Secondly your maximum ammo is also cut down extensively, making it necessary to act more stealthily AND shake your enemies for supplies.

Feels like a different game from my first playthrough (I'm also trying to avoid lethal weapons as much as possible).

BlueTsunami

Mets39 said:
ah excuse me about that, in english it's AI, but in french it's IA. ;-)

oh ok :)

Too bad hearing that they don't consider the AI to be very different. Its one of the things that should have been given a large change due to the change in level design.

Mets39

Danne-Danger said:
Well, Hard it is then.

I noticed recently while playing MGS3 again that turning up the difficulty really changes the gameplay for the better. Firstly, your health goes down to a third (or half, something like that) so you can't just run in and take an absurd amount of AK shots to the face while CQC:ing everyone. Secondly your maximum ammo is also cut down extensively, making it necessary to act more stealthily AND shake your enemies for supplies.

Feels like a different game from my first playthrough (I'm also trying to avoid lethal weapons as much as possible).

So you won't use the MkII in MGS4 then, it makes the game easier:lol (if you now how to control it well, you'll be a killer! I sucked when i used it in MGO but somes guys where awesome!)

BlueTsunami said:
Too bad hearing that they don't consider the AI to be very different. Its one of the things that should have been given a large change due to the change in level design.

Well he said that they played it on Medium. You really can't expect a big jump from that difficulty. The EGM impressions said that on the highest difficulty (atleast the ones that's open from the start) that it's quite challenging.

KTallguy

Banned
I am playing my Japanese copy on the hardest difficulty available, please please god let me play on ultra hard JP, because it's not as hard as the US version, right?

Maybe Ryan Payton can confirm what the difficulty levels are like on each version.

LowParry

SolidSnakex said:
Well he said that they played it on Medium. You really can't expect a big jump from that difficulty. The EGM impressions said that on the highest difficulty (atleast the ones that's open from the start) that it's quite challenging.

Hasn't this alwasy been the case with all the MGS games? And yes, we all know European Extreme is going to kick our asses.

CcrooK said:
Hasn't this alwasy been the case with all the MGS games? And yes, we all know European Extreme is going to kick our asses.

The P:TOM review described the hardest difficulty as "brutally tough".

Tom Penny

Another review. May have some spoilers.

The best thing: The story, graphics, banda sonora, depth playable, paragraph sound, includes a comprehensive multiplayer mode ... basically almost everything.

The worst: The voices have been kept in English. The little bug that Konami has left us not count (it unveils the June 12).Graphically, it could be somewhere more refined. . If you never liked the philosophy of Metal Gear, this is not going to make you change your mind. . If you do not have the baggage of the previous games, might not know all appreciate his greatness.

http://translate.google.com/transla...view&idf=29&id=2877&hl=es&ie=UTF8&sl=es&tl=en

BlueTsunami

SolidSnakex said:

We'll see :D . I remember beating MGS2 on European Extreme :3

Does anyone know what difficulty levels are opened from the get go?

NeoUltima

Euphor!a said:
Sooo... the only negative is that the voices are not in whatever the native language of where this review originates is?
It is a pretty huge negative for those who can only speak that language though...

Then again, perhaps the review build they played was an English version. I know a lot of EU journalists were brought to Paris to play it for review. Konami may have only supplied the English version at the event.

Tom Penny

Kagari said:

I think he is talking about a mandatory install. At least that is what I got out of this.

However, there is a small clause that prevents us from commenting on a small fault of the game, which will be quite annoying to some and being endemic in many of the latest PS3 games

Euphor!a

Banned
NeoUltima said:
It is a pretty huge negative for those who can only speak that language though...

Then again, perhaps the review build they played was an English version. I know a lot of EU journalists were brought to Paris to play it for review. Konami may have only supplied the English version at the event.

As long as the subtitles are in the native language I don't see the problem. Watching foreign films and subbed anime never stopped me from enjoying it, I would also argue that in many cases subtitles would be preferred to bad dubs.

Were the previous MGS VOs done in anything other than Japanese and English?

VNZ

Tom Penny said:
The worst: ... The little bug that Konami has left us not count (it unveils the June 12).
What's up with this? Machine-translated, sure, but what's it about?

NeoUltima

Certainly VOs not being in the player's native language won't completely stop them from enjoying the game, but for most people having the VOs in their native language would improve the experience.

LowParry

I always thought in comparison, US had a preference to JA VO's as to, JA perfered ENG VO's. I mean, if the game is created with one particular voice over, they should just stick to it and add the needed subtitles. Or maybe there are some rare instances. Lost Oddesy I enjoyed much more in english than any other VO. Same with Cowboy Bepop. Then you have say Evangelion, which is leaps and bounds better in JA compared to the ENG VO's. Or Advent Children. Eh. I guess it's all a matter of preference. It's too bad MGS4 doesn't have different VO options. Nothing to cry over nor degrade a score over. Kinda silly. It's the same arguement of a game being "too hard".

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I just bought the Metal Gear Solid book, anyone else get? Seems to be an interesting read through the first game.

Corran Horn said:
I just bought the Metal Gear Solid book, anyone else get? Seems to be an interesting read through the first game.

I've tried ordering it from a local bookstore, but they can't confirm if they can get it for me or not.

Top Bottom