• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS4 review - Swedish LEVEL #26 (NO SPOILERS!)

LowParry

theBishop said:
We all know this game isn't going to beat recent chart toppers in teh salez. So I don't see why you guys are getting all bent out of shape about review nitpicks.

If it sells a million worldwide on day 1, I say it's a huge success.

It looks like there will be some new MGS4 footage sometime soon. The new Famitsu comes with a DVD featuring something called "The Prologue of MGS4". And it definitely includes atleast 1 new scene from the screens i've seen.

Mromson

Yoboman said:
Ugh, I just read the Gamepro review. I couldn't get very far. Reads like a fanboy's wet-dream

"It represents a triumph for GAME DESIGN LEGEND Hideo Kojima and enormous coup for Sony's PLAYSTATION 3"

"an unforgettable game that shines as a beacon amidst a sea of mediocrity"

"But as impressive as the gameplay is, it's also amazing on a technical level as well. MGS4 is one of the most visually striking games ever released and also the first game to show off the HIDDEN POWER of the PLAYSTATION 3"
:lol :lol :lol

Sure it was GamePro and not SONY who wrote that? :lol

FabCam

CcrooK said:

I really hope they market it in 2 ways. Market MGS4 alone and show the different gameplay and awesome narrative. Then another campaign to show off MGO. Show the slow and more stealthy gameplay and it may attract the massive COD4 gathering too. That's the best way to make it to 1 million on first day IMO.

Phantast2k said:
The German "Maniac" gave it 94%

(GTA also got 94%)

I don't really like percentages, but I think they are much better than the 1-10 scale....

honestly think they should go with and A+ to F scale... A+ seems less contentious than a 10

Doc Evils

Mefisutoferesu said:
I got a giggle out of this, and I though MGSGAF would enjoy.

210fyvl.jpg

4D BITCHES!

Jtrizzy said:
The whole article reads like Sony pr. I think MGS4 will be one of the greatest games of all time too, but I don't really trust GamePro. They also claimed that COD4 had dedicated servers for PS3, along with a host of other pro Sony falsehoods.

Wait sorry, I was going to get COD4 on PS3....is the online botched?

...and MGS4 is my most wanted game ever I expected these scores.

SolidSnakex said:
It looks like there will be some new MGS4 footage sometime soon. The new Famitsu comes with a DVD featuring something called "The Prologue of MGS4". And it definitely includes atleast 1 new scene from the screens i've seen.

I hope so. I need some new media to hold me over until the games launch. I wish they'd release a totally awesome new trailer that includes the MGS theme. They could even reuse the footage they've been showing us. Somehow the pre-launch MGS4 hype train feels incomplete without at least one of those trailers.

Give it to me, KP.

Tom Penny

The gamepro review was a joke but it doesn't really matter. Everyone else is giving 90+ scores too. They can't all be moneyhats reviews.

theBishop

Banned
CcrooK said:

I just mean that GAF tends to view MGS4 in terms of system wars. Is it PS3's Halo? Will it SAVE the PS3? Is it too Hardcore? Is it coming to 360 (See Also: Is PS3 dead)?

Regardless of the quality of the game, the most impassioned GAF MGS4 discussion will invariably happen a few weeks later in the June NPD thread.

MollyMillions said:
I'm all worried about it now...I kindasorta liked the old cover system too (although it was showing its limitations in MGS3).

I haven't played MGO (PS3 is coming along with MGS LE, shazam) yet. Should I be worried?

I really think they added the "Puch-Button" cover system due to the limitations found in MGS3. Using the sticks to hug and move along trees and other curved surfaces backfires when you end up running into the gun-fight.

The cover-system in MGO was realistically modeled, almost too much so, in the aspect that your character will mount the wall, setup the pivot foot and then sweep out which is how it is done IRL. When you're wearing 50-60 pounds of gear and slinging an assault rifle around a corner on uneven terrain it is easy to lose your balance and I think they wanted to illustrate this in the fluidity of the character animation.

While the cover system was essentially useless in online due to the amount of time it took to use it I don't foresee any problems with it in the singleplayer because it still works exactly as intended. They could speed it up a bit for online, possibly make it a skill with levels like the CQC and Fast Move skills.

SRG01

Gorechylde said:
I really think they added the "Puch-Button" cover system due to the limitations found in MGS3. Using the sticks to hug and move along trees and other curved surfaces backfires when you end up running into the gun-fight.

The cover-system in MGO was realistically modeled, almost too much so, in the aspect that your character will mount the wall, setup the pivot foot and then sweep out which is how it is done IRL. When you're wearing 50-60 pounds of gear and slinging an assault rifle around a corner on uneven terrain it is easy to lose your balance and I think they wanted to illustrate this in the fluidity of the character animation.

While the cover system was essentially useless in online due to the amount of time it took to use it I don't foresee any problems with it in the singleplayer because it still works exactly as intended. They could speed it up a bit for online, possibly make it a skill with levels like the CQC and Fast Move skills.

Actually, putting faster cover pop-out with Fast Move makes a lot of sense. :D

antiloop

theBishop said:
I just mean that GAF tends to view MGS4 in terms of system wars. Is it PS3's Halo? Will it SAVE the PS3? Is it too Hardcore? Is it coming to 360 (See Also: Is PS3 dead)?

Regardless of the quality of the game, the most impassioned GAF MGS4 discussion will invariably happen a few weeks later in the June NPD thread.

It's part of the PS3 killer line-up that will send the xboat to the bottom of course. duh.

stupid questions get stupid answers.

dmshaposv

The Gamepro review is the biggest fanboy balony I've ever read. :lol

Anyway, I don't think reviews matter for anyone of us. I hope for all MGSGAF, that MGS4 is day one.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
MiamiWesker said:
Matt:

- Other than that new control scheme does a great job, but does not feel it matches those of Splinter Cell.

F- CONFIRMED :lol: Reason? Because Splinter cell is better :lol:

Bulla564

Banned
shagg_187 said:
HI GUYS :(

Looks like this is the only "NO SPOILER" thread. Please keep this clean :(

:(

Mods should sticky a warning of a permaban if someone tries to be funny in the next two weeks.

traveler

Not Wario
Dave1988 said:
I dunno, man. I feel that the controls are better in MGS4 now.

Having not played it, I wouldn't know, but, up till now at least, not a single one of the Metal Gear games has come anywhere close to the playability, in terms of controls and camera, that Splinter Cell had. A criticism regarding this concern is hardly an out of place comment in an MGS4 pre-review, or whatever you want to call it. It's a legitimate issue that needs to be talked about.

KTallguy

Banned
traveler said:
Having not played it, I wouldn't know, but, up till now at least, not a single one of the Metal Gear games has come anywhere close to the playability, in terms of controls and camera, that Splinter Cell had. A criticism regarding this concern is hardly an out of place comment in an MGS4 pre-review, or whatever you want to call it. It's a legitimate issue that needs to be talked about.

Sure, the MGS series' controls have been a bit convoluted.
MGS4's controls are completely different than MGS1-3.
MGO played like a dream to me.

Your point has been considered and a complete revision of the control scheme has happened because of western critique.

That's not to say that we can't discuss it further, but it's best if you've had some time with the game, no?

traveler

Not Wario
KTallguy said:
Sure, the MGS series' controls have been a bit convoluted.
MGS4's controls are completely different than MGS1-3.
MGO played like a dream to me.

Your point has been considered and a complete revision of the control scheme has happened because of western critique.

That's not to say that we can't discuss it further, but it's best if you've had some time with the game, no?

Well, yeah, but I'm not the one criticizing it though. (I did play MGO, however, and the controls there felt nearly as bad, so I'm hardly convinced, if we are going to talk about my opinion) All I was saying is that it's hardly laughable notion that one would want to compare the playability of the SC series and MGS4 in a review, as some here apparently think it is.

traveler said:
I played all Splinter Cells, I played MGO. Controls in MGO are MUCH more fluid and to the point than controls in SC.

KTallguy

Banned
traveler said:
Well, yeah, but I'm not the one criticizing it though. (I did play MGO, however, and the controls there felt nearly as bad, so I'm hardly convinced, if we are going to talk about my opinion) All I was saying is that it's hardly laughable notion that one would want to compare the playability of the SC series and MGS4 in a review, as some here apparently think it is.

I really liked MGO's controls. I think they're probably the best in MGS history.

I played the 360 Splinter Cell demo, and it was fine, but I do remember having some problems in context sensitive areas. I did like Chaos Theory's controls.

In any case, MGS4's controls are vastly improved, and in my mind, offer no disadvantages to Splinter Cell's controls. Do you have any examples of actions that are easier to perform in Splinter Cell as opposed to MGO?

traveler

Not Wario
KTallguy said:
I really liked MGO's controls. I think they're probably the best in MGS history.

I played the 360 Splinter Cell demo, and it was fine, but I do remember having some problems in context sensitive areas. I did like Chaos Theory's controls.

In any case, MGS4's controls are vastly improved, and in my mind, offer no disadvantages to Splinter Cell's controls. Do you have any examples of actions that are easier to perform in Splinter Cell as opposed to MGO?

You're missing the point. We can go back and forth on which system we prefer- the issue here is that it's not a laughable notion to address the concern in a review, as Matt did. I don't want to get into SC vs. MGS again, as it has become apparent to me that real debate in that area is just a brick wall on both sides really.

KTallguy

Banned
traveler said:
You're missing the point. We can go back and forth on which system we prefer- the issue here is that it's not a laughable notion to address the concern in a review, as Matt did. I don't want to get into SC vs. MGS again, as it has become apparent to me that real debate in that area is just a brick wall on both sides really.

Right on, I got your point :)
It's definitely something to bring up in a review, but just with my time MGO, I think that 90% of the control issues have been resolved.

traveler

Not Wario
KTallguy said:
Right on, I got your point :)
It's definitely something to bring up in a review, but just with my time MGO, I think that 90% of the control issues have been resolved.

Yup, that's all I was trying to say. I'll wait till I finish the single player to criticize/applaud the controls appropriately as I don't particularly don't want to have that debate right now and, to be honest, I haven't spent as much time as I should have with MGO yet. (I was only at college- i.e. in proximity to a PS3 that I could get online- for a week into the beta.)

traveler said:
Well, yeah, but I'm not the one criticizing it though. (I did play MGO, however, and the controls there felt nearly as bad,

MGS4's controls have rectified the biggest issues with the previous games (unintuitive button combinations to do simple actions). I don't see what else they could do really. I also feel that Splinter Cell comparisons are no longer apt anyway, Metal Gear generally plays at a much quicker pace whereas the slower tempo in Splinter Cell suits the toggling/menu selecting method.

roxya

MGO controls are a great improvement over MGS3, where putting someone into a choke -> human shield was somewhat akin to performing the Vulcan mind meld.

KTallguy

Banned
roxya said:
MGO controls are a great improvement over MGS3, where putting someone into a choke -> human shield was somewhat akin to performing the Vulcan mind meld.

I got good at it.

Hold O gently, hold R1 to go into FPV, release O and hold Square to draw your gun, release Square to fire.

Easy, right? :lol

I hope it's something complex like that if you want to punch the enemy in the nuts, like in the gameplay demo.

Angelcurio

Thanks God this thread exist. I went into media blackout almost a month ago, so i have been avoiding clickling threads in fear of seeing game spoilers. I hope this threads keeps being clear.

WTF is this!?!?!?!?!?!

mgs4box_01.jpg

mgs4box_02.jpg

I thought you guys said the game was going to ship on the 6th. Do stores have this game already? Retail gaf please explain.

Top Bottom