• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS4 review - Swedish LEVEL #26 (NO SPOILERS!)

Kittonwy

Banned
Mromson said:
So this puts the MGS4 reviews at Five?

PlayStation Official Magazine (UK): 10/10
PlayStation Official Magazine (US): 10/10
PlayStation Official Magazine (Italy): 10/10
PlayStation Official Magazine (Dutch): 9.6/10
LEVEL (Sweden): 10/10

Teh dutch. Teh dutch.
angry.gif

Klone.K said:
Anyone who cares about the gameplay close as much or more than the story in MGS is not a hardcore fan and should look for a different franchise that actually prioritized gameplay

Oh ok, I guess i'm not a hardcore fan then.

Klone.K

Tideas said:
Klone.K said:
well newsflash, mgs is made primarily for its story not gameplay a

Eh? What are you smoking? MGS is considered one of the best, if not the best game of the PS era because of its gameplay.

Partly, but more so because it revolutionized cinematic storytelling in videogames.

Klone.K

SolidSnakex said:
Oh ok, I guess i'm not a hardcore fan then.

Have you played every MGS games over a dozen times, researched the plot in every essay, journal written on them, researched the symbolism and mythology, spent hours pondering the thematic and philosophical themes of the games and read every Kojima interview and commentary of the games including the japanese ones? Have you read everyone of his old hideochan blog entries? Played the first two MG games?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Klone.K said:
Have you played every MGS games over a dozen times, researched the plot in every essay, journal written on them, researched the symbolism and mythology, spent hours pondering the thematic and philosophical themes of the games and read every Kojima interview and commentary of the games including the japanese ones? Have you read everyone of his old hideochan blog entries? Played the first two MG games?
No silly, I have a life.

Klone.K

bigben85 said:
less is more
a simpler plot doesn't mean the story is automatically less than a more complicated one.

No, but MGS3 sacrificed exploring philosophical issues like MGS2 and 1 did during their ending hour to create a more straightforward plot

come to think of it, mgs2 didnt really have as memorable characters as snake eater. only ambivalent players whose motives arent always explained or are too convoluted and muddled to really make anything of it. probably the only character that jumped out and had an impression was ocelot and his liquid hand. By contrast someone like The Boss in MGS3 was a great well defined anti-hero to Naked Snakes protagonist

Klone.K said:
No, but MGS3 sacrificed exploring philosophical issues like MGS2 and 1 did during their ending hour to create a more straightforward plot
you must mean mgs3 didnt have as much pretentious preaching as mgs2 did.....mgs3 still touched on philosophical stuff like honor, fate, duty, master/mother relationships, and it wasnt as contrived or forced as MGS2 was

BigBoss

Klone.K said:
On actual MGS forums such as ign, gamefaq etc the consensus is MGS2 is best. Only non hardcore fans like mgs3 better like reviewers and casual gamers. The only reason they like 3 better is because it has more gamerplay and the story is more entertaining. well newsflash, mgs is made primarily for its story not gameplay and the storyline is supposed to be intellectually stimulating like mgs2 and not an overblown hollywood action flick knockoff like mgs3.

I ask you where was the philosophy and deep thematic exploration, the pot tewists, the character development on par with Raidens and the background stories of bosses in MGS3? It seemed like it was more like a spy flick parody that didnt take itself seriously enough.

Thats funny because whenever theres a poll on the IGN boards regarding which is your favorite MGS game MGS3 always comes out on top. BTW, I recall you being laughed off the IGN boards when you tried this whole MGS2 elitism tripe, those were good times.

Klone.K

frAntic_Frog said:
you must mean mgs3 didnt have as much pretentious preaching as mgs2 did.....mgs3 still touched on philosophical stuff like honor, fate, duty, master/mother relationships, and it wasnt as contrived or forced as MGS2 was

The problem with MGS3 and its thematic exploration was that

a) It repeated itself. The beginning codec conversation with the Boss is literally repeated during the ending monologue of the Boss.

b) It touched upon truly obvious issues...Enemies are relative? They change with the time? Loyalty to country vs beliefs? Really??!

c) It didn't explore the issues it raised. It touched upon them in maybe one or two minutes of dialogue and that's it... MGS2 went in depth into its issues in almost an hour of purely philosophical dialogue. It also presented these themes through its gameplay and presentation, MGS3 simply turned the page before going in depth.

The reason for this is that Kojima originally meant for the series to end with MGS2. He wanted to explore 2 issues with the series, being genes and memes. He has said in the past that he never wants to make games that don't try to educate or inspire people to think. However due to fan pressure he made MGS3 but he already explored the issues he wished to in MGS2, so the philosophy he tacked on was pretty shallow and not something well throught out or planned.

With MGS4 it seems he has been inspired to explore several new themes within the MGS universe. Hence why one review complained that the ending epilogue is a mind fuck remeniscent of MGS2's ending.

I think MGS3 was a mistake though perhaps an intended break for Kojima.

Klone.K

BigBoss said:
Thats funny because whenever theres a poll on the IGN boards regarding which is your favorite MGS game MGS3 always comes out on top. BTW, I recall you being laughed off the IGN boards when you tried this whole MGS2 elitism tripe, those were good times.

I only joined the IGN forums as an insider in the past 2 weeks and have maybe 5 posts with 2 of them being on the MGS forums.

But the consensus I have gathered, primarily from gamefaqs is that MGS2 is the favorited game in the series. Though perhaps such posts came from mgs2 defender fanboys which may skew results.

The IGN forums are quite tiny compared to the Gamefaq ones which I think are more representative, though I primarily post on PSU.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Klone.K said:

a) It repeated itself. The beginning codec conversation with the Boss is literally repeated during the ending monologue of the Boss.

b) It touched upon truly obvious issues...Enemies are relative? They change with the time? Loyalty to country vs beliefs? Really??!

c) It didn't explore the issues it raised. It touched upon them in maybe one or two minutes of dialogue and that's it... MGS2 went in depth into its issues in almost an hour of purely philosophical dialogue. It also presented these themes through its gameplay and presentation, MGS3 simply turned the page before going in depth.

The reason for this is that Kojima originally meant for the series to end with MGS2. He wanted to explore 2 issues with the series, being genes and memes. He has said in the past that he never wants to make games that don't try to educate or inspire people to think. However due to fan pressure he made MGS3 but he already explored the issues he wished to in MGS2, so the philosophy he tacked on was pretty shallow and not something well throught out or planned.

With MGS4 it seems he has been inspired to explore several new themes within the MGS universe. Hence why one review complained that the ending epilogue is a mind fuck remeniscent of MGS2's ending.

I'm not a big fan of MGS3! And I think MGS3 had some of the worst bosses ever in the series, but seriously, what are you smokin??? Why do you always have to argue? People have different preferences. Some like MGS2 some MGS3 doesn't mean the games are bad. They are both good in their "own way"....

Oh and please stop talking, thank you!

Klone.K said:
I only joined the IGN forums as an insider in the past 2 weeks and have maybe 5 posts with 2 of them being on the MGS forums.

But the consensus I have gathered, primarily from gamefaqs is that MGS2 is the favorited game in the series. Though perhaps such posts came from mgs2 defender fanboys which may skew results.

The IGN forums are quite tiny compared to the Gamefaq ones which I think are more representative, though I primarily post on PSU.

I've been a member of IGN since 2001, and MGS3 is definitely the more favored game there, both at the PS2/PS3 boards and the MGS board.

I'm skipping over a lot of the squabble, but MGS is considered the first stealth game. It was as revolutionary in the stealth/action genre as GTA is with the open-world action genre.

It did pioneer storytelling but also awesome gameplay mechanics. I know some people who skip through most of the codec business just to blow stuff up or hang from a tree and shoot unsuspecting guards in the head. That's saying schumpin'.

Klone.K said:

MGS2 is my favorite game in the franchise too, but man, you really need to pull your head out of your ass. All your constant babble about philosophical themes is fucking annoying. Not everyone needs to right an essay for a game to be considered a true fan.

Christ.

Xtyle

Do you people enjoy good stories with great characters and decent writing or just stories with philosophical story attempts?

ianp622

bigben85 said:
Do you people enjoy good stories with great characters and decent writing or just stories with philosophical story attempts?

The philosophy usually only comes at the end, so I don't see why we have to choose.

Jtrizzy

My vote goes for 3, which I'm replaying right now. I'm going to try and get through 1 and 2 before the 12th so I guess my opinion could change, as it's been a while since I've played them. I remember thinking the plot was convoluted in 2, and one is great of course.

elcapitan

After playing MGS2 and MGS3 back to back, MGS2's story is infinitely more interesting and entertaining but MGS3's bossfights are lightyears ahead and the general gameplay is just plain more fun. But character development was best in MGS1.

SRG01

Klone.K said:

While MG/MG2 are definite classics, the other things are not requirements to be a hardcore MGS fan. Supplemental at best, obsessive at worst.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Klone.K said:

How was exploring the origins of Big Boss a mistake?

Just because you weren't able to gleam anything useful from the storyline and concepts put forth, it doesn't mean the game itself didn't add anything at all to the MGS universe.

Kittonwy

Banned
Klone.K said:

You need to relax.
Indifferent2.gif

Mromson

Kittonwy said:
Teh dutch. Teh dutch.
angry.gif
PlayStation Official Magazine (Dutch) gave MGS4 the same score that they gave GTA IV; 96/100. They gave quite a good review in fact (yeah, worked my ass off translating it ;P).

Do you MGS2 guys honestly only play the MGS games just for the story? Cause thats all you talk about. Hey how about the actual freaking game. MGS3 is a better game than MGS2. Better gameplay mechanics, better level design, more freedom in combat, more secrets, better boss fights, better pacing, and a longer game.

Vagrant

Klone.K said:
well newsflash, mgs is made primarily for its story not gameplay and the storyline is supposed to be intellectually stimulating like mgs2 and not an overblown hollywood action flick knockoff like mgs3.

I ask you where was the philosophy and deep thematic exploration, the pot tewists, the character development on par with Raidens and the background stories of bosses in MGS3? It seemed like it was more like a spy flick parody that didnt take itself seriously enough.

You really found MGS2 intellectually stimulating? MGS2 hit you over the head with its themes just like the other two games.

MGS2 complex themes: Hey look Stillman is telling me he didn't teach Fatman the truly important things in life, again, yay. Oh here comes Emma to tell me about the digital control of information, again. Snake just told me we need to find the things important to us and pass them on to the next generation. Cool. Oh, so the entire operation was just a demonstration of the ability to control information and shape its outcome, and it did so by recreating the events of MGS for Raiden? Gee whiz, that is just so deep. All of that long winded poorly written exposition was totally necessary.

Are you one of those people that think the writing in MGS2 is purposely bad? Those supposedly complex themes are shallow and do not elevate the story like you seem to think. Do you read any non-MGS literature? Might be more intellectually stimulating than researching the symbolism in the MGS games. MGS symbolism and story tends to be grab bag of shallow ideas stolen from whatever Kojima happens to be interested in at the time, jammed into the games in a rather heavy-handed way. The themes make a interesting background for the games but certainly don't stand up without the gameplay or action-packed cutscenes.

Klone.K said:

If story is so important to you why would a true fan need to have played the first two MG games? Certainly not for story, characters or complex themes. So maybe you are just trying to be elitist for the sake of it? Here I can make up a stupid, absurd, and arbitrary set of standards for the truly hardcore MGS fan as well:

Have you beaten every MGS game with the highest ranking, beaten every VR mission with a first place ranking, watched every speedrun, performed your own speedruns? Played through MGS GB and Snakes Revenge? Have you figured out how many licks it takes to get the center of a tootsie pop?

Only if you have done all of the above are you a true super-duper hardcore MG fan. Anything less and you're just another no nothing casual gamer. :p

Anyone who cares about the gameplay close as much or more than the story in MGS is not a hardcore fan and should look for a different franchise that actually prioritized gameplay.

Or anyone who cares about the story close as much or more than the gameplay in MGS is not a hardcore fan and should look for a different medium that actually prioritized story.

Why would they put so much effort in to the gameplay and boss fights if they aren't important to KP? Why not just dump the gameplay altogether in that case? Why release all these VR missions, or release a new edition of a game with an improved camera but no new stories? Probably because they do find gameplay important.

MGS does things with gameplay you can't find in many other games. How many games have bosses as well thought out and innovative as Psycho Mantis, The End, or The Sorrow? How many games feature the variety of a MGS scenario? All the little details scattered around the game world that can make an area fun to explore and play through over and over again, discovering something new each time? Sure the games have been bogged down in the past with a bad camera, gimmicky mechanics, and poor controls, but the games are fun despite all that. Besides MGS2's story is actually a lot like the controls in past games; a overly complicated way of performing a simple thing.

tl,dr: Klone.K is a joke, I have too much time on my hands, and MGS is good for the variety it features more than anything. MGS may not have the best story, or best gameplay, but throw it all together and you have a really interesting series of games. Truly better than the sum of its parts.

MiamiWesker said:
Do you MGS2 guys honestly only play the MGS games just for the story? Cause thats all you talk about. Hey how about the actual freaking game. MGS3 is a better game than MGS2. Better gameplay mechanics, better level design, more freedom in combat, more secrets, better boss fights, better pacing, and a longer game.

I don't think so. I've seen many MGS2 fans who really prefer the gameplay (and story) to the previous games. Which is fine, I mean I think MGS3 definitely has superior gameplay, but MGS2 was different so it's realistic that someone could prefer the way it played over the others.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Couldn't have said it better myself Vagrant. Nice work.

SolidSnakex said:
I don't think so. I've seen many MGS2 fans who really prefer the gameplay (and story) to the previous games. Which is fine, I mean I think MGS3 definitely has superior gameplay, but MGS2 was different so it's realistic that someone could prefer the way it played over the others.

They are all excellent games so it doesn't matter which is your favorite. I just feel there are real noticable improvements in areas of MGS3 over MGS2. My point is that the whole talk about just the story is ridiculous. MGS is far more than that.

MGS tells my favorite story in all forms of entertainment, but that doesn't mean I only play the games for the story. I like the franchise so much because of how well it manages to blend the cinematics and gameplay together. You really can't find anything else like it anywhere, and THAT'S why it's my favorite franchise.

MiamiWesker said:
They are all excellent games so it doesn't matter which is your favorite. I just feel there are real noticable improvements in areas of MGS3 over MGS2. My point is that the whole talk about just the story is ridiculous. MGS is far more than that.

I agree, I think MGS3 was really the first game in the series to take a big step into being more of an "open" gameplay experience. MGS4 apparently expands upon that in a big way.

Rainy Dog

elcapitan said:
After playing MGS2 and MGS3 back to back, MGS2's story is infinitely more interesting and entertaining but MGS3's bossfights are lightyears ahead and the general gameplay is just plain more fun. But character development was best in MGS1.

Sums up exactly the way I feel about the series too.

zoukka

You really found MGS2 intellectually stimulating?

Let's see I was 13 so.... YES!

And even today the story is very entertaining especially in the end when all the mind-raping begins. And let's not talk about the first Metal Gear Solid because I thought I had gazed upon God's face for a moment :lol

Snake Eater had a very different approach to it's story and it was the first game that actually made me think about sparing these poor sods in the middle of Russian forests. The fight with Sorrow and the conversation with Johhny really impressed me. Not too many games tell you that you've been a heartless bastard all the way from the beginning.

AKS

I wasn't aware that there was such an adamant MGS2 Defense Force. MGS2 was the weakest of the "Solid" series but still a terrific game.

After the dust settles, I expect the hierarchy to look like this:

MGS4 > MGS3 > MGS1 > MGS2

Top Bottom