• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michel Ancel teasing a new game on Instagram

even were that to happen it wouldnt sell which would be bad for the studio and worse for the chances on a 3rd game

The first game in itself was a cult classic that didn't do well on release (granted, it was also forced to compete with several other high-profile titles like Ubisoft's own Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, so the game was essentially sent out to die), but as part of the lineup for a brand new console co-funded by Nintendo, I don't think Ubisoft would care that much as long as they themselves aren't losing much money from the arrangement. The game apparently wouldn't even exist otherwise, much like Bayonetta 2.

And frankly, a game like BG&E2 seems like a good fit for a Nintendo system.

Eolz

brawly

Pretty sure that's not the case. It was originally going to be a timed exclusive. If it were to be a full exclusive, it wouldn't have released on other platforms.

Either way there's no way they're going down that road again.

And if Nintendo does fund it then it'll die on its ass.

Time exclusive, wasn't it?

Pretty sure that's not the case. It was originally going to be a timed exclusive. If it were to be a full exclusive, it wouldn't have released on other platforms.

No other platforms were mentioned initially, then the second trailer announced exclusivity. Then came the multiplatform delay. I agree that Ubisoft likely always planned for ports down the line, but that's not what was announced.

silva1991

Whatever system this game will end up on, I'm just happy that one of the big companies will actually make a high budget game that isn't so realistic open world or shooter.

big AAA companies offerings are lackluster this gen so far.

That's right, but it was supposed to be at one point, then Ubisoft regained their senses.

If it was originally going to be an exclusive, that was a choice made internally at Ubisoft.

The entire NX rumor for BG&E2 stems from the idea that Nintendo is helping with funding. If that's the case, it would be a full-on exclusive.

Not saying I actually believe that, but that's the rumor people are going by.

And if Nintendo does fund it then it'll die on its ass.

It would actually be far less of a risk for Ubisoft.

I really doubt the BG&E2 we saw in 2008 is the same one we'll see soon... it's likely been rebuilt from the ground up for current/future hardware... which, with the timing of things, wouldn't surprise if this meant an NX (timed?)exclusive.

Shiggy

No other platforms were mentioned initially, then the second trailer announced exclusivity. Then came the multiplatform delay. I agree that Ubisoft likely always planned for ports down the line, but that's not what was announced.

The initial trailer mentioned "Wii U exclusive features", which implies that other versions would come out. Later trailers had something similar to "first on Wii U" or something.

If it was originally going to be an exclusive, that was a choice made internally at Ubisoft.

The entire NX rumor for BG&E2 stems from the idea that Nintendo is helping with funding. If that's the case, it would be a full-on exclusive.

Not saying I actually believe that, but that's the rumor people are going by.

It would actually be far less of a risk for Ubisoft.

It was a finished Wii U exclusive that was delayed 6-7 months to be ported to other consoles. They even gave us Rayman Challenges App as an apology...

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

As I understood the Ubi Montpellier guys at Gamescom, it was planned and meant to be a full exclusive, but without any agreements with Nintendo over it. It was just how they conceived the game. Wii U's lack of success changed that though. In the end it was not even timed exclusive.

Jackano

I guess BG&E2 is back on track then...

Imagine if it's just to say "look at what you'll lose if Vivendi buys Ubisoft!" Lol

Actually there is a bit of goods news regarding Vivendi. It's off-topic but short story, Guillemot bought some shares from a bank, and counter-attack by issuing new shares too. It's a bit more complicated than that but I'm no expert.

It was a finished Wii U exclusive that was delayed 6-7 months to be ported to other consoles. They even gave us Rayman Challenges App as an apology...

Ok?

As I understood the Ubi Montpellier guys at Gamescom, it was planned and meant to be a full exclusive, but without any agreements with Nintendo over it. It was just how they conceived the game. Wii U's lack of success changed that though. In the end it was not even timed exclusive.

This is the point I'm trying to make. There was no agreement with Nintendo. So, if it was conceived as a full exclusive, it was an internal Ubisoft decision.

This is not what the BG&E2 rumors are claiming, so it's not the same situation.

I'm not even claiming to believe those rumors, by the way. I find them kind of hard to take seriously.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Before Good & Evil
Prequel
Stars and play as Jade's father
Young Pey'j
Origin story
Third person shooter / Gears clone
Pey'j is co-op partner
Online multiplayer focus
PlayStation 4 exclusive

Hermii

An exclusive where Nintendo finances most of the development is one that is potentially very helpful for the relations between said publisher and Nintendo and could yield
(1) follow-up products of a similar kind (which are not all too common games at the moment)
(2) increased support by said publisher for NX

Also it could yield a game that is perfectly fit to the system it is made for. Considering Ancel's team made Rayman Raving Rabbids at launch for Wii and Rayman Legends close to launch for Wii U, his team in particular is one that seems a good fit for making creative use of whatever makes NX special. Not to mention that Nintendo would signal a step outside its Japanese bubble wrt significant cooperations.

Therefore for someone interested in NX, an exclusiveness agreement like that could be a good thing as well.

I think, outside of the Capcom 5 Nintendo has never made an exclusiveness agreement that did not entail exclusiveness forever.

Iwata never made one. Kimishima seems more like a standard business minded CEO.

Stiler

A prequel to Beyond Good and Evil? So they scrapped the sequel and things they were planning?

Regarding Wild, I lost a LOT of interest in that game when they changed it. It went from being this AMAZING sounding online-focused open world game where you could play as any number of animals/creatures into a Far cry like "You play as a human who sometimes controls animals" type of game, such a disappointment to see it go down that way.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Iwata never made one. Kimishima seems more like a standard business minded CEO.

Considering the age of the rumor, if it is true, then it probably still was the result of an Iwata-led agreement.

Sheroking

That's right, but it was supposed to be at one point, then Ubisoft regained their senses.

Did they? They delayed a complete game six months so they could launch other versions simultaneously, only for Origins to due no business on 360/PS3.

Probably would have done better on Wii U if it just launched in February 2013 like it was scheduled to and then released the other version(s) later, ala Resident Evil 4.

Davey Cakes

People are still sticking to the "NX exclusive" thing, eh?

NX hasn't been revealed yet and there are no signs of Nintendo budging.

There's no reason why the game shouldn't be releasing on XB1/PS4/PC. Ubisoft can't be THAT risk averse.

I'll be genuinely surprised if this is a Bayonetta 2 situation.

Maybe it's a prequel and sequel?

It'd be nice if he finished the game his publisher announced in 2008 first.

I'd rather have WILD. I don't even know what Beyond Good & Evil is other what seems to be another mystical game in development hell that will never live up the the idea people seem to have in their heads.

People are still sticking to the "NX exclusive" thing, eh?

NX hasn't been revealed yet and there are no signs of Nintendo budging.

There's no reason why the game shouldn't be releasing on XB1/PS4/PC. Ubisoft can't be THAT risk averse.

I'll be genuinely surprised if this is a Bayonetta 2 situation.

Well, the first game bombed on four platforms back in 2003 and Ubisoft simply doesn't fund these types of AAA experiences anymore. So, I can see why the rumors exist.

That being said, I'm inclined to agree with you.

Can someone explain how this remotely links to NX?

Destructoid rumor from earlier this year

brawly

Did they? They delayed a complete game six months so they could launch other versions simultaneously, only for Origins to due no business on 360/PS3.

Probably would have done better on Wii U if it just launched in February 2013 like it was scheduled to and then released the other version(s) later, ala Resident Evil 4.

Would you rather anger the Wii U or 360, PS3 and PC crowd? They made the right decision. No one likes to play second fiddle.

Square made that exact mistake with Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Why do people keep saying the game will bomb on NX, when you don't know what the NX is and the first BG&E bombed when it came out.

Would you rather anger the Wii U or 360, PS3 and PC crowd? They made the right decision. No one likes to play second fiddle.

Going by the sales on those platforms, it's clear they didn't care all that much. The game performed best on Wii U. Ubi would have been wise to release the Wii U version during the launch window, where it would have enjoyed even more success, then launched the other SKUs later. Hindsight and all that, though, so I can't really blame 'em.

Could just be part of the lore, flashbacks or some backstory.

This is my thought as well, it doesn't mean the game's a prequel.

That being said, the more I think about it, the more I believe that won't be the case. Doesn't seem like something Nintendo would want teased before the NX unveiling.

Yeah, either way whatever system it's for I feel like they're teasing it themselves. I don't think Nintendo would want something like this teased.
That Paris Games Week guess might not be wrong either.

But the idea of Beyond Good & Evil 2 actually coming out.... yes pls

Yup, we've been waiting a long time.

Sheroking

The difference is Square-Enix was entering into a partnership with the smallest market-share for their product, where Rayman games have done better on Nintendo platforms than any other systems.

The Wii U version of Legends was the only version that sold worth a damn, anyway.

Top Bottom