• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GHG

So what they are saying is that Microsoft have to put through a new restructured deal after the original deal has been rejected?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Basically yes.

Both sides are saying we promise to get a new deal on the table and it’ll be great!

But we won’t tell you what that deal looks like today…

The judge is pushing back on that.
Yeah the judge is in the right. I was sure that we'll get the details today because MS and CMA will have to share the details with the judge when requesting to pause the appeal.

This is so stupid and sus if they are asking the judge to stop the process but aren't even sharing what the new deal is and how it is a material change.

GHG

Reading this thread in realtime without actually watching the proceedings is bizarre with both sides claiming the judge is on their side.

Anyone stating as such is failing to read the room. The judge hates the fact that this is even happening at all and is roasting both of them for bringing this to him.

As far as he's concerned he would rather go ahead with the original CAT appeal as planned.

Z O N E

Sounds like CMA and MS worked out a backroom deal like many people expected. And this judge is playing hall monitor on procedure and will eventually get over it.

I think he's playing safe because if CMA does NOT agree with the new deal, then they could come back to the CAT and the whole thing begins from the beginning which is something no Judge wants.

Last edited:

Elios83

CMA is being embarrassed. It's clear they were forced to give the deal an other chance by political pressure or other means and in their quest to save face and make it sound legal the CAT judge is basically telling them "your behaviour has no sense, what are you hiding exactly?"

Last edited:

ToadMan

Yeah the judge is in the right. I was sure that we'll get the details today because MS and CMA will have to share the details with the judge when requesting to pause the appeal.

This is so stupid and sus if they are asking the judge to stop the process but aren't even sharing what the new deal is and how it is a material change.

Basically there is no agreed deal. MS has gone back to the CMA and said they’ll work on it, lets roll back the litigation and talk.

This judge realises that and is asking under what legal framework this is acceptable…

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Haven’t been following or watching the coverage but is the gist of it CMA and MS might have a deal and need time, but the judge is is like WTF, I wanna see the deal now?

Gudji

By the way, is this the grand finale we all deserved? 😄

The judge telling the CMA to fuck off and rejecting their appeal to pause, and the deal capitulates on July 18 because the CMA's Interim order is intact?

That'll be the biggest twist since The Sixth Sens 🤣
Does that mean Bobby will make 3 billion in less than 32 hours? 🤣

So what they are saying is that Microsoft have to put through a new restructured deal after the original deal has been rejected?
Yes, but crucially (at least as far as I can tell) one of the scenarios is the CMA will allow the deal to close "imminently", and then look afterwards if the restructured deal satisfies their concerns and cancels their decision to block, which their discussions lead them to believe it could. If it doesn't then they would proceed as planned.

Reactions: GHG

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
CMA is being embarrassed. It's clear they were forced to give the deal an other chance and in their quest to save face and make it sound legal the CAT judge is basically telling them "your behaviour has no sense, what are you hiding exactly?"
If ever in my life I had had an ounce of aspiration to become a lawyer, this judge would have mercilessly smashed them in a matter of minutes.

Sleepwalker

Haven’t been following or watching the coverage but is the gist of it CMA and MS might have a deal and need time, but the judge is is like WTF, I wanna see the deal now?

CMA rejected the deal
Microsoft appeals to CAT

Fast forward to today at CAT hearing

CMA and MS saying they can work out a new deal

CAT judge: bullshit, where's the new deal?

MS/CMA: well we dont have it now, we havent even seen/sent a proposal yet

CAT Judge: grilling ensues

GHG

OverHeat OverHeat

Thanks for the Gold my man, appreciate you.

High Five Friendship GIF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The "We haven't seen it" part is confusing, didn't MS present the deal with the 'small divestiture' to CMA a few weeks ago as per their own statement ?

have they just been sitting on it ?

Not a ton. I made about 25% or so I think. But let’s just say that $1800 gaming laptop on my radar can be bought and I would even think twice about it even though in reality I can be the most frugal value analyzing cheapskate buying Wendy’s frostys only when I see on deal during their 99 cent summer deal. Lol.

I knew the deal would go through. It’s video game companies and competition bureaus bucking over Call of duty. If telcom companies can get approved I don’t think a product involving Stopping Power and Ghost is something worth stopping.

The only big drawback was it was a lengthy process waiting. Waited a long time for it to hit the $90s.
Enjoy the laptop, mate. Which manufacturer are you eyeing?

CMA rejected the deal
Microsoft appeals to CAT

Fast forward to today at CAT hearing

CMA and MS saying they can work out a new deal

CAT judge: bullshit, where's the new deal?

MS/CMA: well we dont have it now, we havent even seen/sent a proposal yet

CAT Judge: grilling ensues
wait so both sides are getting grilled by the judge for incompetence?

I cant say I expected that at all. This has been such a roller coaster.

NickFire

Sounds like the judge wants them to either move forward with litigation or for CMA to throw itself under the bus for explain its sudden change of heart. After hearing so much about the CMA being immune to some of the lobbying you see in other parts of the world and their own public statements, it is a perfectly reasonable position for the judge.

I have no doubt that the merger will happen. But pausing its final order and delaying the litigation last minute for a proposal they think will come will be a permanent black eye.

Elios83

By the way, is this the grand finale we all deserved? 😄

The judge telling the CMA to fuck off and rejecting their appeal to pause, and the deal capitulates on July 18 because the CMA's Interim order is intact?

That'll be the biggest twist since The Sixth Sens 🤣
The judge has understood everything and he's telling them that he won't take part in the charade if they have already decided to let the deal pass before they have even read the new proposal :pie_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom