• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Business Update Podcast | OT | SEGABOX |

ManaByte

Gold Member
And a few people probably are (not calling anyone out specifically)

This forum was flooded with MS employees during the Xbox One. They got rid of a bunch of them from a specific marketing agency, if I recall correctly.

I was a lurker at that time, but it happened.

You are buying a lie. A rogue mod mass-banned people who admitted to buying an Xbox One and labeled them all "astroturfers" as an excuse to purge people he didn't want from the forum.

XXL

You are buying a lie. A rogue mod mass-banned people who admitted to buying an Xbox One and labeled them all "astroturfers" as an excuse to purge people he didn't want from the forum.
Do you have proof of this?

Because I don't remember seeing any of that.

Mr Moose

It was bishoptl. A rogue mod who grew a cult of personality here and went on massive banning sprees during then and leading up to the exodus of the nutbars in 2017. He banned thousands of users.
b6a2dbeb82d95e3068e6c8500627f52f.jpg

XXL

It was bishoptl. A rogue mod who grew a cult of personality here and went on massive banning sprees during then and leading up to the exodus of the nutbars in 2017. He banned thousands of users.
Sure.

But that's not proof and you're kind of blending two different situations.

The Xbox marketing agency thing happened before 2017, it was basically right after the Xbox One launched.

I joined here in 2017, so it was way before that.

Last edited:

Vyse

Gold Member
Haven’t read all of the comments, but I thought it was fine. Appreciated that they jumped right in to assure people who have invested in Xbox that they will continue to offer consoles.

From a business perspective, they have such a large catalog of games and studios, limiting the ability to play doesn’t make sense. Not sure MS has ever really made money on consoles and digital really is the future.

Seemed like Sarah was trying too hard. Calm down girl. You got the job.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I don't get it either honestly but its pretty much what is happening
For me, I need to hear promise of exclusives, not promise of more hardware. The current hardware will not make it without exclusives. The future hardware will not make it without exclusives. At best we can expect a 1 year window so far, but even that may vanish. I don't see SQEX having their own console. They put lots of games on stores with year exclusivity deals. Without exclusives there is no future for the console as a closed system. So far they haven't talked about opening it, or guaranteeing exclusives.

Topher

Gold Member
If you say you missed people posting the death of Xbox was going to be announced yesterday I believe you

I also agree with what he said, a lot of people doing that very thing

Side note I am beginning to regret letting my wife do the driving so I could catch up here on some posts :)

Well there were 89 pages with folks going full speed posting for a week so I'm sure I missed a lot. I'll say that if folks said that then it seems to have been a fringe take. The vast majority were more in line with what King Dazzar King Dazzar was saying, from my perspective.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Pretty sure EviLore EviLore cleared this up in the thread he had after the great non-binary furry rere exodus. There were a ton of MS shills and astroturfers, because the morons used their work emails and/or emails that were traced to specific shill networks.

Were there unfair bans based on ideology and some brand bias? Of course, but it all wasn't the picture you are trying to paint. There were plenty of Xbox warriors still on there in 2013 on up (we used to argue then and now with them), which most went to ree and the like. FFS XboxEra was a spinoff due to how many there were, and still some Xbox ambassadors on their mod staff.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Pretty sure EviLore EviLore cleared this up in the thread he had after the great non-binary furry rere exodus. There were a ton of MS shills and astroturfers, because the morons used their work emails and/or emails that were traced to specific shill networks.

Were there unfair bans based on ideology and some brand bias? Of course, but it all wasn't the picture you are trying to paint. There were plenty of Xbox warriors still on there in 2013 on up (we used to argue then and now with them), which most went to ree and the like. FFS XboxEra was a spinoff due to how many there were, and still some Xbox ambassadors on their mod staff.
I went over all of bish’s bans one by one after the big drama. Most of the console war related ones remained intact after review, since he mostly banned overt console warrior idiots like astroturfers and people without two neurons to rub together. There were a few arbitrary console war bans I overturned but not a huge amount.

It was the politics related bans around election time that he intentionally hid from me when he went rogue. He banned all the people he saw who weren’t far left extremists—basically if you weren’t in support of an armed revolution (!) in response to the 2016 election he would ban you, which drastically shifted the tone of discourse for the worse and set the stage for the forum events that followed.

Mana’s narrative is not accurate at all. There was no mass arbitrary ban of Xbox users.

Killjoy-NL

So me having friends at MS means I have a stake in this?

I also have friends at Playstation

I have shared info about both camps

I guess my stake in all of this is fucked
In a way, sure.

But it all depends on the situation. Rn there's only one going downhill and moving to becoming the number one cross-platform publisher.

By their own admission, btw.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

GGZ42jcWAAEhiw5

I dont think he's got anything to apologise for tbh, it's clear as day these games are going multi-platform, Microsoft are just refusing to talk about it at the moment
I find those statements hilarious.

"we'll never release the Xbox one without Kinect"
One week later....

"we'll not release all games on PC, only a few"
A few months later....

And now
"we're releasing only 4 games on Playstation, we have made no decisions on other games, it will be on a per game basis..."

Translation : We got all devkits we could from Sony and we are crushing devs to make Playstation ports for every game possible.

If Sony is so confident that they won't even release a big AAA game all year is because they know that.
(Devkits have to be requested by each studio, not platform holders, so Sony knows exactly which MS studios have PS5 devkits and can predict what games they are porting to PS5).

NickFire

Well, in the end I got 1/3 of the software news I was hoping for (so far). Got confirmation Sea of Thieves is coming, which I am interested to try if priced right. Did not get confirmation for Flight Simulator - would be very interested in this if it could be played in VR2. Also did not get confirmation for Starfield either - even though it did not live up to hype, it still looks good enough to try. I suspect each of the non-confirms will be there someday, but the VR2 component would be a wild card.

Kind of dissapointed with how flat the whole thing felt. But can't really blame anyone but ourselves if we took the twitter clowns seriously.

XXL

I went over all of bish’s bans one by one after the big drama. Most of the console war related ones remained intact after review, since he mostly banned overt console warrior idiots like astroturfers and people without two neurons to rub together. There were a few arbitrary console war bans I overturned but not a huge amount.

It was the politics related bans around election time that he intentionally hid from me when he went rogue. He banned all the people he saw who weren’t far left extremists—basically if you weren’t in support of an armed revolution (!) in response to the 2016 election he would ban you, which drastically shifted the tone of discourse for the worse and set the stage for the forum events that followed.

Mana’s narrative is not accurate at all. There was no mass arbitrary ban of Xbox users.
christoph waltz nod GIF

This is what I remember happening.

Although I was just lurking at the time.

Microsoft both has and contracts out marketing companies which act as astroturfers. They do this as a normal business practice. You can find loads of material of them discussing this strategy. Heck, lots of it came out in the FTC hearings last summer.

I'm sure all big corporations do this to an extent, but based on what I know, MS' approach to this is far outsized compared to others.

RickMasters

ALLLLL HAIL SPENCER!!!!!!!!!!!

Ohhh shit!!!! It’s OVER!!!!

The future is BLUE!!!!

Ever since the shocking HiFi Rush T-Shirt discovery people have been wondering what other games PlayStation would acquire….

But…. Master Chief?! Anytime anyone mentioned it we thought they were insane!!!

We clearly live in the twilight zone!!! The game has changed forever!!! Don’t you bloody dare think otherwise!!!

Look at the bloody games now under the PlayStation banner!!!

Hi-Fi Rush!!
Sea of Thieves!!
Indiana Jones!!! Hahaha
Halo Master Chief…,whahahaha!!!

What are you gonna do Xbox?!! You just lost half your exclusives!!! Hahahaha!!!!

Oh please make all their games third party Microsoft. Please!!!

This thread sure did change its language quickly 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Microsoft both has and contracts out marketing companies which act as astroturfers. They do this as a normal business practice. You can find loads of material of them discussing this strategy. Heck, lots of it came out in the FTC hearings last summer.

I'm sure all big corporations do this to an extent, but based on what I know, MS' approach to this is far outsized compared to others.
I have told this to people for awhile here now even providing one of the mods with receipts of MS buying affinity towards their product including targeting certain tech/game review sites to be pro Xbox

And like you I am sure all companies do this but MS is on a whole other level with it

XXL

If You Say So Shrug GIF

Sorry (for the gif spam) but the gif is just too perfect.

All companies do this 100%, as I have also heard MS is much more active using this tactic (in not just gaming).
Celebrity Big Brother Athlete GIF by Big Brother

pasterpl

PlayStation is dying anyway with that shite 5% profit margin

My only concern is making sure xbox goes first

Except Xbox is dying right in front of our eyes.
It's apparent in every aspect of Xbox.

Can't imagine you believing the PR-spin the Xbox heads were trying to sell yesterday.
Why you both even bother posting in this thread. Most of your posts are toxic trolling, just attempting to aggravate other users.

Top Bottom