• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Business Update Podcast | OT | SEGABOX |

Phase

Side note I am beginning to regret letting my wife do the driving so I could catch up here on some posts :)
Season 5 Episode 6 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I went over all of bish’s bans one by one after the big drama. Most of the console war related ones remained intact after review, since he mostly banned overt console warrior idiots like astroturfers and people without two neurons to rub together. There were a few arbitrary console war bans I overturned but not a huge amount.

It was the politics related bans around election time that he intentionally hid from me when he went rogue. He banned all the people he saw who weren’t far left extremists—basically if you weren’t in support of an armed revolution (!) in response to the 2016 election he would ban you, which drastically shifted the tone of discourse for the worse and set the stage for the forum events that followed.

Mana’s narrative is not accurate at all. There was no mass arbitrary ban of Xbox users.
I guess I was a lucky one. He definitely banned me related to my Xbox posts. Then again he did send me a threatening message about my calling him out.

XXL

I guess I was a lucky one. He definitely banned me related to my Xbox posts. Then again he did send me a threatening message about my calling him out.
99% of the time the people catching bans deserved it....from what I've seen during my time on most forums...

Era and Reddit are the exception sometimes, in some cases (most of it is political).

Most of the time people getting banned on gaming forums, it was deserved.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Why you both even bother posting in this thread. Most of your posts are toxic trolling, just attempting to aggravate other users.
Why not put me on ignore? I don't see a reason not to join discussions.

Edit:

I'll admit the remark I made was unnecessary.

Last edited:

panda-zebra

And took them 2 weeks to craft this message
First thing Phil said in that video/podcast/presentation/mock interview was that they'd been working on it since December and shuffled the order of things they wanted to talk about to address the "unforeseen news" first. But yes, this is how they chose to refine things in the final 2 weeks, quite something.

People can take what they want from that podcast
That's the beauty of it and it's entirely by design. A lot of wishy-washy, vague, tag-team back-and-forth that managed to use a whole lot of words to confirm or deny not very much at all and leave all doors open, yet reassuring enough with various wording, catch phrases and gesturing to let anyone wanting a little reassurance to think that's exactly what they got. Not new ground for Spencer.

Last edited:
I have told this to people for awhile here now even providing one of the mods with receipts of MS buying affinity towards their product including targeting certain tech/game review sites to be pro Xbox

And like you I am sure all companies do this but MS is on a whole other level with it
There was a game for MS I worked on years ago when their marketing group was in the office, putting together marketing pitches for release marketing strategy. At the time, there was a big Xbox-related leak happening on GAF, and i'll never forget those guys just casually telling us during lunch they were the ones who had done it (their team), and they were actively monitoring the responses to the 'leaks' on all social media outlets, and they had other accounts that were doing positive responses to shape perception.

That whole situation really soured my outlook of MS as an organization as a whole.

If Sony is so confident that they won't even release a big AAA game all year is because they know that.
(Devkits have to be requested by each studio, not platform holders, so Sony knows exactly which MS studios have PS5 devkits and can predict what games they are porting to PS5).
For one, Sony is releasing AAA games this year. They just aren't releasing AAA games in established IPs. I know most folks wouldn't consider Helldivers 2 AAA, but its budget for sure encapsulates that figure, at least what we would've described being AAA 5 years ago or so. Now, AAA is a whole other level of expensive. But you're gonna see some of these live-service new IP projects that have been in dev for awhile release this year.

As for the Dev Kits thing, while yes Sony does supply devs with dev kits, for a large order like this, the platform holder and the publishing entity have to sign whats referred to as a release agreement. Its a commitment to release a game or project under specific operating guidelines. All major games, and all small games for that matter, sign this at one point or another. The bigger the game, the earlier you'll sign it. This is done for a variety of reasons, including ensuring that the publisher won't just cut a deal for exclusivity down the road. Part of what made the whole Rise of the Tomb Raider situation back in the day so unusual is that this agreement had to be breached in order for exclusivity to be sold.

These agreements typically include things like not having a major performance delta compared to other platforms the game will be released on - platform holders don't want you to release a game that runs at 15fps at 720p on their machine when you're running 60fps 4k on someone elses with a similar power level between the machines. If its a staggered release, meaning the release is coming after its launched on other platforms, a platform holder will try to enshrine certain things to make it up for their platform audience - this is how you get late releases that have DLC pack-ins at day 1, for example.

All this to say - a platform holder is always aware of the projects being made for it, at least from all traditional publishing entities. They will ultimately learn of them in the indie space as they get closer to launch, but for a platform holder like Sony, they know it all well in advance. They have loads of 3rd party account managers specifically to manage those relationships and project expectations with those teams. Heck, release roadmaps for a platform holder are typically planned for their 1st party to coincide with 3rd party release schedules. Otherwise, you get a situation where a big game like CoD or Battlefield is releasing in the same calendar period as a God of War, for example - publishers and platform holders strive to avoid those conflicts. Unlike Nintendo, Sony and MS want 3rd parties to thrive in their ecosystems.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
There was a game for MS I worked on years ago when their marketing group was in the office, putting together marketing pitches for release marketing strategy. At the time, there was a big Xbox-related leak happening on GAF, and i'll never forget those guys just casually telling us during lunch they were the ones who had done it (their team), and they were actively monitoring the responses to the 'leaks' on all social media outlets, and they had other accounts that were doing positive responses to shape perception.

That whole situation really soured my outlook of MS as an organization as a whole.
I have know Mike Ybarra a very long time and he would talk about these controlled leaks

Openly and even to most people in our Discord he would say they didn't happen at Xbox but on more than one occasion where he and I would be playing something like World of Warcraft he told me he hated the practice and would chastise those responsible but it was something that some very high up the food chain at Xbox thought was a good practice

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member

Timeline definitely lines up. Ntkrnl leaks in Jan. 2014 and the game I'm assuming 2 months later. I swear a famous mouse (I hope he's doing much better now) told this same story, but said it was all leaked over drinks at E3, though. I'm guessing those marketers did a lot of kissing and telling.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You come across as pretty salty. Almost starting to think you might have things at stake here.
Do I seem down to you?

Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC

If you say you missed people posting the death of Xbox was going to be announced yesterday I believe you

I also agree with what he said, a lot of people doing that very thing

Side note I am beginning to regret letting my wife do the driving so I could catch up here on some posts :)

In fairness, the more versatile members like Topher and Ass of Can were not posting those things, but the lot of one-and-done shitposters who were, are now conspicuously not talking about that talking point at all.

But, yes, I can't see how anyone missed all that in the last couple of weeks. It's borderline in every topic.

That being said, I foresee rampant port-begging in almost every Xbox game topic from here onward and hope the moderation team clamps down on it instead of letting every topic about an Xbox game devolve into the same discussion every time.

xHunter

Was it ntkrnl?

Always wondered who that was.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
And took them 2 weeks to craft this message
And thats the biggest thing I have been harping on. These last few weeks have hurt Xbox quite a bit. I am amazed (but then again not THAT amazed) at how many people bought everything hook line and sinker.

One thing I have realized is that people actually know the truth but are far happier accepting the lie than the uncomfortable truth.

I do believe Xbox will remain in the hardware business, but I do not for one second that they will make units that are sold for a loss. The 3rd party consoles make more sense and I am fine with that.

Killjoy-NL

And thats the biggest thing I have been harping on. These last few weeks have hurt Xbox quite a bit. I am amazed (but then again not THAT amazed) at how many people bought everything hook line and sinker.

One thing I have realized is that people actually know the truth but are far happier accepting the lie than the uncomfortable truth.

I do believe Xbox will remain in the hardware business, but I do not for one second that they will make units that are sold for a loss. The 3rd party consoles make more sense and I am fine with that.
The fact that they uploaded a pre-recorded closed environment podcast says a lot, given the circumstances.

It made sure they wouldn’t get caught offguard by the really tough questions.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC

In fairness, the more versatile members like Topher and Ass of Can were not posting those things, but the lot of one-and-done shitposters who were, are now conspicuously not talking about that talking point at all.

But, yes, I can't see how anyone missed all that in the last couple of weeks. It's borderline in every topic.

That being said, I foresee rampant port-begging in almost every Xbox game topic from here onward and hope the moderation team clamps down on it instead of letting every topic about an Xbox game devolve into the same discussion every time.
To be fair, this is ultimately Xbox's fault. They were in a no win situation. I do NOT think yesterdays meeting helped them. They allowed this stuff to fester for far too long, when they should have said 4 games are coming in a blog post immediately.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

The root of the whole problem is make great games and the rest will take care of itself which they have missed on with their last few big boy games.

I know Phil once said even 11/10 type of banger games wont move the needle hardware sales wise my retort to that is try it and lets see.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

I really grew to dislike Microsoft during the Bluray/HD-DVD format war. It was obvious to everyone that bluray was the superior format (once it was feature complete), but MS wasn't supporting HD-DVD because they believed in the product. They supported it to try and force a stalemate and the market towards digital downloads and at that time Xbox was a big player in that regard, it was one of the few boxes could hold downloaded movies quite easily. They ultimately failed and bluray won, but they used FUD as a means to try and win.

Killjoy-NL

The root of the whole problem is make great games and the rest will take care of itself which they have missed on with their last few big boy games.

I know Phil once said even 11/10 type of banger games wont move the needle hardware sales wise my retort to that is try it and lets see.
But that's part of the issue:

Those games cost a lot of money and Xbox installbase isn't enough.
GamePass makes it worse.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
But that's part of the issue:

Those games cost a lot of money and Xbox installbase isn't enough.
GamePass makes it worse.

Out of interest, how much are these games costing to make.

Take Indiana Jones for example. How much would that cost, including licensing from Disney and marketing. £100million?

Also, I know the Xbox install base is low, but surly they're making the money back on Steam sales?

Killjoy-NL

Out of interest, how much are these games costing to make.

Take Indiana Jones for example. How much would that cost, including licensing from Disney and marketing. £100million?

Also, I know the Xbox install base is low, but surly they're making the money back on Steam sales?
Just did a quick google search for Starfield and it had a budget of 400M.

According to Circana, it sold an estimated 2.5M copies.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Just did a quick google search for Starfield and it had a budget of 400M.

According to Circana, it sold an estimated 2.5M copies.

Ouch.

Microsoft is eating a lot of costs. Little wonder they're putting games on other platforms. Ease in the idea with four smaller games and then move in with the big hitters.

Topher

Gold Member

I saw plenty of joking about that stuff, including Ass's posts and the train and my memes,etc. but no one should take that stuff seriously. I saw plenty of predictions all around suggesting this was the beginning of the end for Xbox. Let's be clear.....I'm talking about serious predictions that Phil Spencer was going to come out yesterday and say "Xbox hardware is done. We will never make another console". That has been "borderline in every topic"? Can you show me? I'm genuinely curious who was making those predictions.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I saw plenty of joking about that stuff, including Ass's posts and the train and my memes,etc. but no one should take that stuff seriously. I saw plenty of predictions all around suggesting this was the beginning of the end for Xbox. Let's be clear.....I'm talking about serious predictions that Phil Spencer was going to come out yesterday and say "Xbox hardware is done. We will never make another console". That has been "borderline in every topic"? Can you show me? I'm genuinely curious who was making those predictions.
People are still saying it even after the podcast that there wont be a next gen console from Xbox

I mean people are entitled to their opinions but literally a few hours after Xbox makes the statement they are working on a next gen console people here say its not happening

No biggie though

Bry0

Was it ntkrnl?

Always wondered who that was.
The name is hilarious knowing that now. NT Kernel. Reeks of MS thinking they’re clever.

Topher

Gold Member
People are still saying it even after the podcast that there wont be a next gen console from Xbox

I mean people are entitled to their opinions but literally a few hours after Xbox makes the statement they are working on a next gen console people here say its not happening

No biggie though

That’s fine but that ain’t what I’m talking about.

It’s fine. Letting it go

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
They ought to put Halo Infinite on PS5. I say that as both an xbox and ps5 owner. The game has been out a couple of years, it's in the milk existing playerbase phase, why not expand it? Anyone that was going to buy an xbox for the game has already done so.

GHG

No biggie though

I think the bigger picture is that people are questioning their commitment and whether or not they will actually follow through.

Unfortunately, this is now a business that has a reputation for saying one thing and doing another.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Oh yea they're gonna be screwed hard if they say playing from a PS system!

It’s because most of them will be completely new to the game. Not because of the system. The PS5 will have the 120fps mode. It’s a UE4 game so it’s going to be the same, but there will be a ton of new players that will be easily picked off.

Wulfer

The entire past two weeks has been nothing but threads proclaiming MS was exiting the console business and going third party and publishing EVERYTHING on the PS5.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/phil-spencer-announcement-this-week.1666826/ <- 90 page thread with people dancing on Xbox's gave based on fake insider bullshit

Oh DAMN!

Ouch.

Microsoft is eating a lot of costs. Little wonder they're putting games on other platforms. Ease in the idea with four smaller games and then move in with the big hitters.

That's the goal. Ultimately Microsoft want to release the big games that they know will sell very well on PlayStation. That's why they're doing it now before games like indiana Jones are out. Microsoft already know they're going to release it on PS5 and even when it's a year later its gonna perform way better there than it ever possibly could on xbox because they just don't have the install base. The blade reveal also makes sense now. It was suspicious when they just couldn't confirm it would be xbox and PC only. Now we know why.

Last edited:

Wulfer

Every once in a while you get mass FUD. During Xbox One, people were claiming it would be the last Xbox console. Oops.... then One X came out, then Series S/X. Now MS says new hardware will come out later. It kills some people that MS stays in the console business.
Not only that but, they can continue to do so, for the next ten decades. It's killing some posters that MS isn't Sega. Sega had to go 3rd party they had no choice. (Here the sticky part) MS can choose to go 3rd party if they wish. (Here's the part that hurts) Nothing said on this board or any other can change this.

Topher

Gold Member
Not only that but, they can continue to do so, for the next ten decades. It's killing some posters that MS isn't Sega. Sega had to go 3rd party they had no choice. (Here the sticky part) MS can choose to go 3rd party if they wish. (Here's the part that hurts) Nothing said on this board or any other can change this.

Anyone who was serious about Micrososft being the next Sega was also being very selective about the rumors they believed. I and others have been discussing the rumors of a new handheld from MS during this past week. That rumor certainly didn't sound like MS was exiting hardware as I've said many times. I may have misgivings about some of what was said yesterday, but dispelling that notion was important. Xbox console gamers need to know MS still has skin in the game.

PaintTinJr

No biggie though
But Xbox also spent a few years telling us they didn't believe in generations, so either it is just a refresh, or if it is a traditional new gen with new controller features, new console hardware features that make it no longer forward compatible with Series for games using the next-gen features, then surely that's just another falsehood to throw on the pile. no? and probably partly why a lot of people view Xbox's plans, and the reality of them implementing those plans successfully as a gulf apart,

Hypothetically if the next "xbox" isn't a walled garden in which they can command a 30% platform tax on publishers does that qualify as a new "Xbox" for you? It doesn't for me, because without 3rd party publishers taking the devkit and platform holder tax, you aren't really releasing a console IMO, but just a PC or smartphone box,

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
it also kills them that Xbox is barely a pimple on MS's ass. Whether Xbox does well or not is overshadowed by all the Azure stuff they do. They can keep Xbox going and not care. Theyve already been doing it for 20+ years at supposedly bad profits, but it's still around. Xbox isnt big enoigh to skew their financials or stock price. Xbox gaming gets like 2 bullet points in an entire report. PS is huge though for Sony. Their recent earnings report had a bad PS5 outlook and that tanked the stock -5%.

PS gamers should care a lot that gaming has been Sony's biggest division for years. Every since PS4 took off, I think it's been their biggest pillar for 6-7 years for sales and profits. Which means if they want company growth, it means all eyes are on PS to grow and grow and grow. And that means looking at every corner for more sales, and that includes more multiplatform gaming. Thats why they are so open to PC gaming and even gave in and made MLB The Show for Xbox and Switch. They'd rather make games on competing systems to ensure they still get those 1M copies of baseball sales from PS gamers (if you google it, MLB The Show consistently sells about 1M copies on PS every year for 15-20 years).

Consoles arent really growing at all for generations as a lot of people just go PC or mobile. And theres only so much growth that can come from increasing sub plans 33% or GAAS mtx. You need absolute user count increases from other sources...... multiplatform.

Last edited:

PotatoBoy

These threads and the neverending bickering are very strange. The situation is simple.

Microsoft and all other large western companies are rapidly losing or have already lost the ability to make games. The reasons you can figure out on your own easily enough. But they can't do it anymore. Starfield is one of the worst games ever made in its budget class. It's certainly the worst I have ever played.

It is still possible to brute-force stuff money into programmers' pockets and get them to build shit like streaming services, cross-play, resurrect old games from the dead, whatever. But you can't pay your way to good new games. You need to create the right culture and it's simply impossible for these companies now. It's not even Phil's fault. The guy is just a suit. The company runs him, not the other way around. He is going to be pressured to grow Xbox and he is going to try anything and everything he can EXCEPT actually creating good games, because Microsoft does not have the wherewithal to actually accomplish that. I am quite sure that if he could do it, he would.

That there are even any "xbox fans" left to cry about this is completely ludicrous. Move on, you manchildren. It's over.

jwaxeman

That's the goal. Ultimately Microsoft want to release the big games that they know will sell very well on PlayStation. That's why they're doing it now before games like indiana Jones are out. Microsoft already know they're going to release it on PS5 and even when it's a year later its gonna perform way better there than it ever possibly could on xbox because they just don't have the install base. The blade reveal also makes sense now. It was suspicious when they just couldn't confirm it would be xbox and PC only. Now we know why.
I mean they might not. Even if the console became a niche product for 20-30 million Americans perpetually they could very easily hold games like Elder Scrolls or (ten years from now) even CoD hostage. They’ll probably not do that, but also they might. It’s going to be a very annoying process for a while. At the end of the day they’ll figure out a way to keep hardware around probably as long as they (financially) can.

bitbydeath

You seriously didn't see all the Xbox is dead, Xbox is the new Sega, Xbox going full 3rd party posts?

Because there were a lot of them
Lots of Xbox fans tried blowing it out, I did my part in trying to correct some of them. Maybe they hoped what they said would catch on so they could say it was all a nothing burger?

This!
I don’t know what @Darsxx82 and @Negotiator101 think the rumour is, this is the ONLY credible one.

Where’s this rumour coming from that they’re leaving the industry?

Hardware is said to be outsourced, if that’s what you mean by “leaving hardware”.

The rumour I directed them to above is still the only credible rumour.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
These threads and the neverending bickering are very strange. The situation is simple.

Microsoft and all other large western companies are rapidly losing or have already lost the ability to make games. The reasons you can figure out on your own easily enough. But they can't do it anymore. Starfield is one of the worst games ever made in its budget class. It's certainly the worst I have ever played.

It is still possible to brute-force stuff money into programmers' pockets and get them to build shit like streaming services, cross-play, resurrect old games from the dead, whatever. But you can't pay your way to good new games. You need to create the right culture and it's simply impossible for these companies now. It's not even Phil's fault. The guy is just a suit. The company runs him, not the other way around. He is going to be pressured to grow Xbox and he is going to try anything and everything he can EXCEPT actually creating good games, because Microsoft does not have the wherewithal to actually accomplish that. I am quite sure that if he could do it, he would.

That there are even any "xbox fans" left to cry about this is completely ludicrous. Move on, you manchildren. It's over.
I dont work in tech or gaming, but something is up with the industry whether it's overbudget, corporate culture, or milking games to the bone.

Youre typical soft drink or juice company does fine year over year. They introduce new flavours here and there, get it shipped to stores fine (and physically too, not easy peasy digital download access), and how often do you hear about weird corporate culture shenanigans or social media loudmouths or leakers at Pepsi or Coke despite having 100,000+ employees?

Last edited:
Top Bottom