• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft confirms 12 TF RDNA 2 for the Xbox Series X

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Sony’s in big trouble. Expect a delayed launch and coronavirus as the convenient excuse while they continue to rework the underpowered machine.
There's no need to rework anything. PS5 will sell on name alone. Maybe not in the US, but it's a default win for Sony in Europe. And if they want the power crown they can just launch a PS5 Pro in three years. Wasting money on redesigns because you fell back rarely ever happens.

Naibel

Those are specs I thought would only be the stuff of fever dreams, yet they're real !! Impressive Microsoft, veeerrry impressive ! I'm very excited to see how Sony will respond to this.

And CDPR, man, they're the greatest ! I can now buy my Xbox One copy of CP2077 without remorse !

Great specs, new pro-consumer practices, those are fantastic news for us gamers !

Last edited:
There is still plenty of Time dude.
Also, RDNA 2!!!! Wasn’t confirmed and not even expected. RDNA 2 is HUGE

Yeah I wasn't expecting RDNA2 either. Was thinking both XSX and PS5 would be RDNA1 with some RDNA2 features in them.

Given their transparency of late I think it's safe to say this is full RDNA2.

RDNA2 is just hardware RT and VRS. Good but nothing exclusive..unless Mark Sony fucked up pretty bad!

So the 2Ghz PS5 GPU is like Xbox1 last minute overclock. Damn Sony got complacent and cowardly to chase that $399 'sweet'spot.
With how aggressive Teamxbox wants nextgen pie, $399 is looking like a dead spot for Sony, 'dat underwhelming 9Tflops paper specs.

I think RDNA2 brings further architectural improvements compared to RDNA1 as well, because IIRC RDNA1 still features some GCN elements in it and isn't "full Navi".

Also, c'mon man we can calm down a bit with the insults. This is really good news for XSX but it's no reason to turn around and make fun of Sony or PS5. Some cheeky friendly jabs are alright, but not trashing them altogether. I'm still looking forward to PS5 too and we still don't quite know its final specs, either.

Last edited:

Xyphie

Bravo Microsoft. This puts me at ease. Just few things remaining:

1) How much AVAILABLE RAM for games. It must be 16 GB minimum available (not total)
2) How much bandwidth of GDDR6 RAM? Rumors indicate close to 600 GB/sec, hoping ideally be close to 800 GB/sec
3) Wifi 6? I am thinking yes.

Almost certainly it'll be 20GB on the Xbox with somewhere between 560-640GB/s. Playstation will be 16GB with 448-512GB/s.

Airbus Jr

Banned
People on Neogaf react to a 12 Teraflop console in 2020

tenor.gif

Also the same Neogafers react to a 12 Teraflop console in 2022

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Aidah

I'd never buy it, but that does sound like good shit so far. A proper generational leap despite mid gen upgraded consoles. I think the most Playstation fans can hope for at this point is for PS5 to match this, because so far this sounds like the upper end of expectations.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So it sounds like what the Xbox One X was to the Xbox One / S. It's basically an Xbox One XX. That can play a new generation of game too for those developers that don't use their new upgrade features.

I'm okay with that.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ball’s in your court, Sony

Release The Fuckin’ Specs.

Let’s see where we stand.

XsX is gonna be a beast. If PS5 can match I’ll be in heaven
Pretty confident PS5 will be close to SeX but not 12tf RDNA 2.

If PS5 was better spec than Xbox you would have already had every exec there telling the world about it like GDDR5 ram and YT videos by execs bragging about used discs.

Nintendo 1st party published games have shipped over 167M units under 3 years.

That alone is impossible for PS5 or XSX to replicate.

Yeah in terms of sales Nintendo's 1st party are almost second to none. Only Rockstar consistently compares and that's with them releasing like two games in 7 years xD.

Granted, GTAV has been an absolute monster in its own right and I doubt any other single AAA game will approach its success except maybe GTA6.

Very, very nice looking piece of hardware. The onus is now on Sony to at least match that, one would assume brand loyalty will win the day for the PS5 but the 360 proved MS can get it right. It sounds like they're not going to be outpriced by Sony either, I imagine MS can afford to take a bigger hit than Sony on hardware?

MS can; $1 trillion market cap vs ~ $60 billion market cap, yeah.

But the question is if Xbox division can. They may be willing to but it'd depend on the main MS departments okaying it. Granted, same goes for PS division at Sony, but they probably have a bit more leeway. Though it certainly seems like MS is giving Xbox division a lot more to work with now, which is great news.

Bravo Microsoft. This puts me at ease. Just few things remaining:

1) How much AVAILABLE RAM for games. It must be 16 GB minimum available (not total)
2) How much bandwidth of GDDR6 RAM? Rumors indicate close to 600 GB/sec, hoping ideally be close to 800 GB/sec
3) Wifi 6? I am thinking yes.

We ain't gettin' 800 GB/sec, chief xD. 768 GB/s is maximum, and that's with a 384-bit bus and 16Gbps chips.

But rumors are suggesting it's more likely a 320-bit bus and currently using 14Gbps chips, for 560 GB/s. They could switch to 16Gbps chips,
tho, and get 640 GB/s, which is a more realistic upper limit.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, the 3080ti I'll get in late summer early fall will shit all over it.

Having said that, if they pull this off for $500, it'll be an incredible value. I'll probably get one for travel instead of wasting money on a shitty gaming laptop that'll be 3-4x the price.

I have $500 in cash put aside and hidden so it won't be spent. Bring on the beast.

Good luck MS on losing that much money per console if they actually launch at $500

Theres literally 0 indication that AMD will be able to launch a GPU at or above 2080 level that doesnt have real issues
Cards above the 5700xt would've launched already if they could but its widely speculated that high end Navi has had yield/heat issues

I'll believe the top end Navi at 30% over a 2080ti when I see the in game fps counters, and not a second before.

Nvidia is also blowing smoke with Ampere. There will be some metric where they're twice as efficient and 50% stronger but it wont be on the top end for the 3080 and 3080ti. That's sure as shit

Last edited:

base

Banned
Good luck MS on losing that much money per console if they actually launch at $500

Theres literally 0 indication that AMD will be able to launch a GPU at or above 2080 level that doesnt have real issues
Cards above the 5700xt would've launched already if they could but its widely speculated that high end Navi has had yield/heat issues

I'll believe the top end Navi at 30% over a 2080ti when I see the in game fps counters, and not a second before.

Nvidia is also blowing smoke with Ampere. There will be some metric where they're twice as efficient and 50% stronger but it wont be on the top end for the 3080 and 3080ti. That's sure as shit
They will be announced very soon (march). Latest drivers mentioned already 5950, 5900 and 5800.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

Realistically, of course AMD can beat a two year old Nvidia GPU. That's the sad thing, that they need two years to beat them. The RTX 3080 will come out weeks if not days after Big Navi and absolutely crush it. But to not expect AMD to be able to beat a 2080, that's ridiculous.

Arkam

Good to see the picture coming (slowly) into focus. Nice to have that spec out of the way to give us some relativity (as some thought 12tf was off the table). I look forward to seeing what MS can do with that machine. Now time to wait for a Sony response... or for Lockhart details.

They will be announced very soon (march). Latest drivers mentioned already 5950, 5900 and 5800.

And? We already knew that. When I see them on shelves available at prices that truly undercut nvidia and make upgrading make sense, then I'll be psyched

If the xbox series x gpu falls one step or so below the top end, and they're still pricing them within $50 of nvidia's cards for the comparable model, then Microsoft's machine is going to look very, very attractive.

Top Bottom