• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft confirms 12 TF RDNA 2 for the Xbox Series X

Could mean anything, Could also mean software raytracing that renders on the cpu.

It could, but IIRC isn't one of RDNA2's big hooks dedicated hardware-based raytracing? I.e hardware silicon purpose-built for raytracing similar to Nvidia's Tensor cores?

I don't think they will push higher. 12.18 TF (or 56 CU @ 1.7 GHz) is pretty much the sweet spot for performance/watt for RDNA and possibly also for RDNA2. They will be more concerned about not having another RROD situation, so they don't go higher with the clock speeds. It should allow them to just have one huge and slow fan to cool the whole console almost inaudible.

Yeah that sounds about right. There was some speculation on there being cooling on both sides of the board tho, so I figure if they wanted to/could push the GPU clock higher, they'd have the cooling overhead to do so with a setup of cooling on both sides.

But that was just speculation anyway; otherwise it would be safest to keep the clock on the lower end of the sweetspot, as you've said.

Last edited:

Thavash

Question - 120fps is nice , but how will screen Hz work over HDMI ( on a PC you can only get high refresh rates on DVI not HDMI - what happens on a console ? )

Paulxo87

Yup. That’s why they are mentioning RDNA 2.0 😉 according to rumors PS5 will only use RDNA 1.0. hope this is not true. But we will see.

How can PS5 only be using 1.0 when sony has said many times that it's built right into the hardware? This is an RDNA 2.0 Feature. Period.

For believers, you guys are amazing.
GitHub-Mark.png

HolyTruth

Banned
They could be under nda who knows, could be bad wording or simple they don't care or know the difference. I highly doubt it doesn't have it. but that tweet doesn't confirm it however.

the news report confirmed RDNA 2

RDNA 2 = dedicated hardware cores for ray tracing.

Been saying over and over and over that it was definitely RDNA 2. I remember getting so much crap for saying that. Happy to see it's finally confirmed now. AMD's messaging on this from the very moment Microsoft announced Project Scarlett was unmistakable. 12 TF of RDNA 2 in a console, meaning this thing probably has core architecture based enhancements well above and beyond what was present with 5700 XT on PC. It likely isn't just new graphics features like VRS and Hardware Accelerated Ray Tracing.

Also finally happy to be done with all the damn speculation stating "over 8x xbox one is clearly below 12 teraflops or else Microsoft would have said it's even more powerful." Well, now it's confirmed. It's even more powerful than previously thought. Microsoft, as I always knew, was talking raw numbers, not in terms architectural advancements or efficiencies from their GPU.

Holy shit, that's a lot of power!!

Last edited:

evanft

Absolutely nothing really new outside of the confirmation of the 12TF number. All the HDMI 2.1 features were expected. We already knew about ray tracing, the presence of the SSD, and I believe fast resume was confirmed as well. This looks like typical PR fluff.

• How big is the SSD?
  • Is the SSD user-serviceable?
  • How does storage expansion work?
  • How much RAM?
  • What's the CPU speed?
  • Are there any comparisons between games running on XBX vs. XSX available? I see generic "faster load times, better fps, etc.", but how does this play out for actual titles? Will these be noticeable improvements, or just minor bumps here and there, similar to how unpatched games run on the enhanced vs. base consoles?

Been saying over and over and over that it was definitely RDNA 2. I remember getting so much crap for saying that. Happy to see it's finally confirmed now. AMD's messaging on this from the very moment Microsoft announced Project Scarlett was unmistakable. 12 TF of RDNA 2 in a console, meaning this thing probably has core architecture based enhancements well above and beyond what was present with 5700 XT on PC. It likely isn't just new graphics features like VRS and Hardware Accelerated Ray Tracing.

Also finally happy to be done with all the damn speculation stating "over 8x xbox one is clearly below 12 teraflops or else Microsoft would have said it's even more powerful." Well, now it's confirmed. It's even more powerful than previously thought. Microsoft, as I always knew, was talking raw numbers, not in terms architectural advancements or efficiencies from their GPU.

Holy shit, that's a lot of power!!
I remember you saying this too and getting the flak. Vindication.

Stunning console just based on specs and design so far. Very aggressive. Sony needs to speak up and quickly before they lose control of the narrative of next gen.

HolyTruth

Banned
Absolutely nothing really new outside of the confirmation of the 12TF number. All the HDMI 2.1 features were expected. We already knew about ray tracing, the presence of the SSD, and I believe fast resume was confirmed as well. This looks like typical PR fluff.

• How big is the SSD?
  • How much RAM?
  • What's the CPU speed?
  • Are there any comparisons between games running on XBX vs. XSX available? I see generic "faster load times, better fps, etc.", but how does this play out for actual titles? Will these be noticeable improvements, or just minor bumps here and there, similar to how unpatched games run on the enhanced vs. base consoles?

There is still plenty of Time dude.
Also, RDNA 2!!!! Wasn’t confirmed and not even expected. RDNA 2 is HUGE

They could be under nda who knows, could be bad wording or simple they don't care or know the difference. I highly doubt it doesn't have it. but that tweet doesn't confirm it however.

It's possible. Maybe they're using a mix of dedicated silicon & software based? I don't necessarily care as long as we can get some next-gen in-game stuff with raytracing like the Project:Mara teaser showed off, honestly xD.

Yup. That’s why they are mentioning RDNA 2.0 😉 according to rumors PS5 will only use RDNA 1.0. hope this is not true. But we will see.

I think PS5'll be RDNA2 as well, or at least have features of it in there like Variable Rate Shading. But there were rumors kicking around of them using a more customized ray-tracing solution and some of the consensus on that seems to be it might have a more "elegant" RT solution. I doubt it'd be its own chip because of latency issues, so it'd be a really crazy engineering job to see what they'd have done in such a case.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I'm certain PS5 will feature RDNA2 as well... hardware accelerated ray tracing is a RDNA2 feature. And hardware ray tracing is what sony has promised.

Don't be so sure about that. There was a job offer from AMD circulating yesterday that mentioned that you would work on the architecture that is powering the next Xbox and their next GPUs.

There was another piece this weekend that talked about the custom raytracing cores that Microsoft built for its new console would end up in an unannounced GPU. It's looking a lot like Microsoft was the driving force behind both Nvidia's RTX and AMD's raytracing solution (Microsoft revealed DXR before there were any products to support it). Also over the weekend it was announced that Microsoft open-sourced DXR for use in Vulkan.

Last edited:

• How big is the SSD?
  • How much RAM?
  • What's the CPU speed?
None of this info or questions matter to the average consumer, it was supposed to be a basic high level informational post from what I can tell. I'm quite sure we will be getting solid down to the nitty gritty specs in the near future.

longdi

Banned
There is still plenty of Time dude.
Also, RDNA 2!!!! Wasn’t confirmed and not even expected. RDNA 2 is HUGE

RDNA2 is just hardware RT and VRS. Good but nothing exclusive..unless Mark Sony fucked up pretty bad!

So the 2Ghz PS5 GPU is like Xbox1 last minute overclock. Damn Sony got complacent and cowardly to chase that $399 'sweet'spot.
With how aggressive Teamxbox wants nextgen pie, $399 is looking like a dead spot for Sony, 'dat underwhelming 9Tflops paper specs.

Last edited:
you Talking about how it’s a big thing that ram info is missing. You are even posting it here in bold letters as if you are screaming. So as I said, there is a lot of Time left to reveal the RAM part. No need to be upset and no need to scream. So relax buddy.
It was just a piss-poor attempt of damage control, even though you bolded it, so everyone could see your amazing contribution..

Uh. Xbox fans. What else to expect from Xbox fans. Everything in their eyes is poor damage control from someone. So what if i said official RAM capacity is missing. LOL. WOW, so much big deal if sentence is bolded. Holy shit. Sentence is bolded.

GymWolf

Oh shit, now let's see how sony respond to this.

Fuck me, why is microsoft and not sony with all the esclusive games on pc? Their console is far more sexy for now but i don't really need an xbox to play their games.

Last edited:

bRacing

Banned
Was hoping to only buy one console next gen (plus whatever Nintendo makes) again, but if Sony can't match these specs, I'll end up returning to what I did during the PS3/360 gen and just buy the sony console for exclusives, and use the Xbox for everything else. This box is a beast. Come on, Sony, at least match it.

And if Sony intends to make us buy their exclusives per box we play them on, they can eat a fucking dick.

Last edited:
Top Bottom