• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft confirms Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox exclusivity deal "has a duration"

Nibel

Copy Uncharted if old

Xbox boss Phil Spencer has confirmed to Eurogamer that Microsoft's controversial exclusivity deal for Rise of the Tomb Raider "has a duration".

However, he declined to confirm how long that duration is set for.

Last night, during its Gamescom press conference, Microsoft and Square Enix made the surprise announcement that Rise of the Tomb Raider would launch holiday 2015 exclusively on Xbox. That, Spencer confirmed, means Xbox One and Xbox 360.

Full article at Eurogamer.

Kezen

Banned
I hope this "duration" is short. Like 6 months, enough to allow the console to shine.
And most importantly I hope Microsoft won't do anything to extend that duration.

I loved TR2013 and I'd like to play the sequel.

Ramenman

Hahaha, obviously, such careful wording and refusing to derive from it even in a regular conversation/interview can only mean one thing.

I wonder if they think all the double speak and payoffs was worth the one day of headlines. I predict a 6 month exclusivity window.

Welfare

And people couldn't wait a bit for some clarification. Great that others will be able to play the game "later".

Occam

Expected, but that makes yesterday's announcement sound rather deceitful.

Once again they have managed to make themselves look bad.

I honestly didn't know this was a cross-gen game.

That is interesting to me as a lot of people said they bought the exclusivity to go up against Uncharted 4. Just judging by Uncharted 4's latest trailer, how could a cross-gen tomb raider game take on Uncharted 4? If it were current gen only then I can see the advantage of primarily pushing one platform during development but having to factor in the 360 is a bit, well, disappointing.

Still, it means I can play Rise of the Tomb Raider. My girlfriend loves Tomb Raider and we won't be getting an Xbox One anytime soon.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
This is good. It took literally a day of internet pressure for MS to waste millions and millions of dollars in PR admitting that Tomb Raider is not an exclusive.

Kikujiro

Look at the damage control, you can't ignore the internet reactions.

Instead of celebrating the exclusive, now it has become "controversial" and people are mad. Well done S-E, CD and MS. Marketing geniuses.

And there you have it.

Ironically, the PS4 version may end up getting the Definitive/GotY/Complete Edition treatment, so the best, most complete version of the game will be on PlayStation, a big backfire and slap in the face to Xbox owners who get the "early adopter" treatment.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The original news has spread through mainstream channels already.
Good point. Initial reveal is important.

I just think this would have been way more effective if they actually announced a new game with this deal and not the way the actual announcement took place.
(Which was stills from the E3 trailer with Phil Harrison smiling about exclusivity.)

Trickster

Maybe now people will stop acting like this thing is the most heinous thing a company has ever done to it's consumer base in the history of forever...who am I kidding...

Top Bottom