• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Is So Sorry About How It's Treated Xbox One Fans So Far

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoG

Two things: I love that he and Mr. Penello keep repeating this mantra about how smart their programmers are. As though Sony employed a bunch of drooling morons who grabbed parts off shelves and hot glued them together when they came up with the PS4.

I like how he throws out inventing DX and they have the best GPU programmers IN THE WORLD when most of those dudes left Microsoft a long time ago. You can have the best technical talent around but when your product people want the ability to snap Internet Explorer beside your game or bundle a useless camera it kind of means fuck all because you're wasting resources, die budget, and upping the price of the system for non-gaming gimmicks.

FINALBOSS

Banned
We're all pretty tired of Xbone fans coming in and complaining how biased GAF is towards Sony as if we are all a single entity connected by a series of tubes that lead to a central server in Evilore's basement.

If you even think for a second that GAF is biased towards Sony, then that right there should tell you something that Sony has a majority of the mind marketshare at the moment and just deal with it.

Old-school PS3 fans didn't puss out during launch when that chalk-board image of "Games that will save PS3" were posted in every single thread (well maybe some pussed out)...so just deal with it.

When MS start doing things right that compare to PS4 you'll see GAF swing back into the middle ground--but I doubt it'll happen any time soon.

todd44890

Banned
If they're really that sorry they can start by giving me a free Xbox One. That wouldn't make up for everything but it would go a long way.

You feel like Microsoft owes you a 500 dollar console for policies you didnt agree with and never affected you? Yeah, ok

Im naming all games, all companies. You dont think those companies and developers wouldn't have been on board? Youre crazy if you think that. Just because they didnt come out and support it publicly, doesnt mean they didnt behind closed doors.

That was closed door support I was talking about, from an accurate leaker here.

FINALBOSS said:
We're all pretty tired of Xbone fans coming in and complaining how biased GAF is towards Sony as if we are all a single entity connected by a series of tubes that lead to a central server in Evilore's basement.

If you even think for a second that GAF is biased towards Sony, then that right there should tell you something that Sony has a majority of the mind marketshare at the moment and just deal with it.

Old-school PS3 fans didn't puss out during launch when that chalk-board image of "Games that will save PS3" were posted in every single thread (well maybe some pussed out)...so just deal with it.

When MS start doing things right that compare to PS4 you'll see GAF swing back into the middle ground--but I doubt it'll happen any time soon.

It's just that trolls and warriors are more active than ever (both sides), it's the beginning of a new war, after all.

It's funny. xD

You know, Mr. Gamer... sometimes I wish MS didn't reverse their policies, so the console would bomb, and all you apologists could feign happiness with a 10 million user install base.

Mr. Casual, I guarantee you that most of the people who claimed they were boycotting the system would have gotten it anyway once they saw a game they liked. Just like all these people currently complaining about it being bundled with Kinect. If they see something they like, most will give in and get it.

Theecliff

Banned
They shouldn't be sorry.

The so called "fans" should be sorry for acting like immature kids.

Microsoft should demand an apology.
Okay then Mr. Casual. What do they have to be sorry for? Microsoft actually changed their next gen policy to please these internet-less submarine dwellers, upsetting people who showed genuine enthusiasm for the new console, and what happens? People like this Jeff Lane fella go out and buy a PS4 anyway.

Actually, yeah. I take back what I said.

Microsoft should be sorry for how it's treated Xbox One fans. The real ones. We are actually buying the system.

I... I seriously can't believe some of the posts you make on here sometimes. What the actual fuck is up with you?

Riki

Awww. You're right, Microsoft! We should just completely forget about how you tried to screw over the majority of your audience and basically told us all to fuck ourselves because we "Didn't get it."
Yeah...

I... I seriously can't believe some of the posts you make on here sometimes. What the actual fuck is up with you?

Corporate apologists. Still wish we had gotten that topic listing all the Microsoft shill accounts that got banned over this.

o2THA1C.jpg

How has Kaz's face not been shopped into this?

heelo

Banned
Go fully digital then, you have that choice next gen.

Yeah, my only regret from the 180 was that normal people will continue to buy physical discs for themselves and others, and the benefit if "your entire game library ready in an instance" will be lost on them.

My idea is that MS could have a program whereby, for some nominal fee ($5-10), a person could have MS send them a mailing box into which they could put their physical discs and have them credited to their Xbox digital library.

Not only would it facilitate a move to all-digital, it would also be a great way to revive scratched/damaged discs.

Sydle

MS has already turned around and they are doing things right now. All the bitching is based on past sins. It's definitely tiresome.

MS has gone so far as to start an apology tour and yet GAF still attacks them. Yes, they wouldn't have to do one if they didn't have those policies in the first place, but they did. It's a fact. They can't go back in time. This is how they turn it around. If this place were better they'd be focusing on questions to ask the Xbox team, not just ridicule for old shit.

Kalamari

I think MS deserves a big thank you, actually. Thank you for making my decision to buy a PS4 so easy and avoid everything that MS produces in the near future.

I don't want MS to fail horribly, since I'd rather they stick around in the console business, but I do want to them to be outsold by Sony by as much as possible just to drive home the point and make sure they don't try something like this again. Hell, they may be better for it, look at how much Sony improved. Sure, MS isn't the same but who knows.

That's totally not concern trolling.

FINALBOSS

Banned
MS has already turned around and they are doing things right now. All the bitching is based on past sins. It's definitely tiresome.

MS has gone so far as to start an apology tour and yet GAF still attacks them. Yes, they wouldn't have to do one if they didn't have those policies in the first place, but they did. It's a fact. They can't go back in time. This is how they turn it around. If this place were better they'd be focusing on questions to ask the Xbox team, not just ridicule for old shit.

We're not doing the PR for them. This isn't some AMA--if you want that go read IGN's Microsoft AMA PR fluff. They care about gamers? Then they can come here and start that shit themselves. It's not up for us to do--and if you want us to do that, nothing is stopping you.

People are attacking the apology tour because it reeks of desperation. It doesn't feel genuine it feels like a "we're sorry please come back to us" type of situation.

spekkeh

Banned
I like that people assume that giving the consumer more is a bad thing.

There's nothing inherently wrong with apologising. In fact, I wish there was more of it in the industry. Nintendo barely apologised for their entirely shoddy treatment of Europe in the 90's. It took Sony an absolute age to get their head out of their ass on the PS3. It took a month for Microsoft to realise it fucked up. That's actually great! The turnaround and disconnect between the industry and consumers is getting less each generation and it only benefits consumers to have communication lines. And the thing is, there's nothing wrong in saying sorry. Patton Oswalt can say sorry for stealing jokes earlier in his career and be thought of better for it. Why not Microsoft? They are learning. Albert Pendello has posed on NeoGAF itself that they wouldn't consider bringing back the DRM as the only system and they don't see a reason why both can't be on the same system. All three companies are adapting and thats a world of difference considering how terrible the industry used to be in reacting and adopting consumer feedback.

Of course, there are people who will thump their chests and start screaming about console warz and how they will never forgive Microsoft for what they tried to do. But hands up how many would never forgive Sony for $599/Killing Lik Sang/Online Passes/Rootkits/PSN hack/"Get two Jobs" and are buying a PS4?

Maybe its time we started treating apologies like adults instead of petulant children sulking in a corner.

It's good that people admit when they're wrong and try to adapt accordingly. But you don't design products, and especially not with a multibillion plus dollar pricetag, without a vision on society, the consumers, and the transformative nature of your product. Such a vision is often an extension of the core values of the company about its relationship to the world.

Well, that vision was very strong, but it wasn't pretty.

They can be apologetic all they want, but you don't change your vision, and especially not your core values in a matter of months, due to people on the internet being hostile towards it. The preorder numbers were a wakeup call, maybe, but this is a long process where the proof is in the pudding. It's going to take a number of years to see if the core values changed or just the outside appearance.

Amir0x

Banned
Okay then Mr. Casual. What do they have to be sorry for? Microsoft actually changed their next gen policy to please these internet-less submarine dwellers, upsetting people who showed genuine enthusiasm for the new console, and what happens? People like this Jeff Lane fella go out and buy a PS4 anyway.

I know there's no chance of getting a post that isn't wildly inaccurate from you, but I will respond anyway:

They didn't have to change their policy JUST for 'internet-less submarine dwellers' - by the way, that's a brilliant insult to over 30 million Xbox 360 owners and equally dramatic numbers of individuals who did not connect online on PS3 or Wii - they changed their policy because EVERYONE was furious with Microsoft. And it wasn't just because of the internet and the always-online check; it's because they revealed lending, renting, etc would be severely restricted or removed entirely (and they let people think this for weeks before they tried to apply a hasty bandaid to the idea around E3, and people rejected it 'cause no one believed shit they had to say anymore.) It's because they revealed Kinect was forced on people and couldn't be unplugged for the system to function. And later, at E3, it was because they charged a $100 premium over their competitor for a weaker system that didn't even have any flagship titles to support the tech causing the added price for launch. Kinect Sports Rival was pushed to Spring 2014!

Every single poll that was taken? Every single one... massively in favor of PS4. Entire major mainstream newspapers ran polls where PS4 destroyed XBox One in desire to purchase. Pre-order numbers? Disastrous in every territory prior to the 180s. Most mass market media reports that touched the subject were negative. Several countries - including Germany and Australia - had high ranking political officials talk disparagingly about what the system was going to do with always-on Kinect. Gamestop was confirmed to be basically going to war with Microsoft on the Xbox One prior to the 180s; so was RedBox, which actually had a page made prior to E3 to discuss the "implications" of Microsoft's strategy. Jimmy Fallon made fun of Xbox One's restrictions and propped up the Ps4's alternative strategy.

So, who do you think you're fooling with the idea that it was just a few lonely internet-less submarine dwellers who were outraged? 85% of the entire gaming community EVERYWHERE other than fanboy websites, most mainstream media reports and a whole lot of gaming journalists were finally by the end starting to get extremely negative about the XBO.

Revisionist History may work sometimes, but not when it was only a few months ago and everybody still remembers the exact details of what happened.

Actually, yeah. I take back what I said.

Microsoft should be sorry for how it's treated Xbox One fans. The real ones. We are actually buying the system.

Haha, man. What a delightful thought - only people who took Xbox One's original horrific strategy in stride are "real fans" who should be apologized to!

Ah, the fanboys who have latched onto giant faceless corporations like ancient mussles attached to the side of a decaying sunken ship. I truly feel for such individuals.

Speaking of Larry Hyrb, it seems he took to Reddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/com...ello_there_is_no_way_were_giving_up_a/cc2nezu) to post that he agrees with Albert Penello about the Xbone's power vs. PS4. The thread Albert originally posted his comment in has been locked, but Albert basically said that the PS4 is not 30% more powerful than Xbone.

So Hyrb writes this:

Two things: I love that he and Mr. Penello keep repeating this mantra about how smart their programmers are. As though Sony employed a bunch of drooling morons who grabbed parts off shelves and hot glued them together when they came up with the PS4.

And that second sentence I bolded--could it be pointing to the rumored reveal of a discreet second GPU later this month when AMD reveals their next line of hardware? Personally, I don't believe the rumor, but I can't think of anything else he may have been referring to (other than posting another of those laughable comparison charts on his website like he did at the start of this gen).

Thoughts?

I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere, but I couldn't find a thread. Mock if old.

In reply to the second part, he's referring to the "truth" that the PS4 and Xbone are equal in power. I'm sure there's some part of them that believes that no-one could possibly match DirectX but it's pure unadulterated bullshit.

Can i just say how glad I am that Major Nelson doesn't have a GAF account? Albert Penello is bad enough, we don't need the king of the shills on here.

Chobel

Mr. Casual, I guarantee you that most of the people who claimed they were boycotting the system would have gotten it anyway once they saw a game they liked. Just like all these people currently complaining about it being bundled with Kinect. If they see something they like, most will give in and get it.

Fortunately MS don't give a fuck about your guarantees. They look for the real guarantee : pre-order numbers which sucked before the 180.

Wynnebeck

Banned
That's totally not concern trolling.

How is it? MS getting outsold after all they did so far with Xbone would send a strong message to them not to try something so stupid in the future and up their game so that they can stay competitive with Sony. Pretty legitimate wish.

I still can't believe they are forcing Kinect on you. Thats like Buying a burger and the clerk shows broccoli worth a hunder bucks down your throat first.

There's literally only one thing that could turn the tide but it's a doozy.

Remove the Gold requirement to play games online.

Take the opposite approach as Sony. Charge for Netflix and other services, but make online gaming free as it was always meant to be. After forcing Sony's hand into changing their online strategy, put them in a corner by changing it back.

Too bad they'll never do it.

Amir0x

Banned
Paco said:

No. It's still $500, it's that price for a technology that won't even have a flagship game until Spring 2014 with Kinect Sports Rivals. It's that way because STILL to this day things are so fluid that things previously promised keep getting pushed back, things people expected won't be there at day one, things remain confusing as fuck.

● Self-publishing coming to Xbox One; won't be fully in place at launch.
● "Our priority is ensuring our customers get the best Xbox One experience the first day it is available." --> Kinect will only work fully in 5 countries out of the 13 launch countries.
● Xbox One will be available in 21 countries for Launch -> Xbox One will launch in only 13 countries
● External Harddrive is supported --> External Harddrive support won't be ready at Launch
● Xbox One pre-orders in Europe Tier 1 countries receive FIFA 2014 for free --> Wait, we mean it's for Xbox One Day One Edition pre-orders.
● Pre-loading not ready for Launch; Will Come Later

I posted this in another thread... and this is just stuff we're learning of post 180s, if you factor in all the changes that occurred as a result of the 180s, there is an unprecedented level of confusion and delaying and whatever. Some features work in some countries, others not. No guidance yet as to what works where, except those five lucky countries for which most of the Kinect features should work as advertised on day one.

Every day that goes by is a new story that develops to add further confusion or weirdness to this entire XBO situation.

Albert says a lot of this stuff is because of the changes they had to make after the DRM reversal, and that may be true. But it remains confusing and worthy of criticism until it stops being this messy malaise of conflicting reports about everything. It does no good for anyone to try to downplay this.

Paco said:

Like you, I think this is a good step. Unlike you, I can understand why the anger persists. This ISN'T based on just passed sins it's still based on the pervasive and endless confusion that follows the XBO because of Microsoft's continual confusing system launch.

They still have a long ways to go in my book, mandatory Kinect, $100 more for weaker hardware, questionable commitment to strong 1st dev for the entire console gen, poor XBLG value with many free features behind a paywall. That's just off the top of my head.

Riki

No. It's still $400, it's that price for a technology that won't even have a flagship game until Spring 2014 with Kinect Sports Rivals. It's that way because STILL to this day things are so fluid that things previously promised keep getting pushed back, things people expected won't be there at day one, things remain confusing as fuck.

● Self-publishing coming to Xbox One; won't be fully in place at launch.
● "Our priority is ensuring our customers get the best Xbox One experience the first day it is available." --> Kinect will only work fully in 5 countries out of the 13 launch countries.
● Xbox One will be available in 21 countries for Launch -> Xbox One will launch in only 13 countries
● External Harddrive is supported --> External Harddrive support won't be ready at Launch
● Xbox One pre-orders in Europe Tier 1 countries receive FIFA 2014 for free --> Wait, we mean it's for Xbox One Day One Edition pre-orders.
● Pre-loading not ready for Launch; Will Come Later

I posted this in another thread... and this is just stuff we're learning of post 180s, if you factor in all the changes that occurred as a result of the 180s, there is an unprecedented level of confusion and delaying and whatever. Some features work in some countries, others not. No guidance yet as to what works where, except those five lucky countries for which most of the Kinect features should work as advertised on day one.

Every day that goes by is a new story that develops to add further confusion or weirdness to this entire XBO situation.

Albert says a lot of this stuff is because of the changes they had to make after the DRM reversal, and that may be true. But it remains confusing and worthy of criticism until it stops being this messy malaise of conflicting reports about everything. It does no good for anyone to try to downplay this.

Like you, I think this is a good step. Unlike you, I can understand why the anger persists. This ISN'T based on just passed sins it's still based on the pervasive and endless confusion that follows the XBO because of Microsoft's continual confusing system launch.
$500~

lucius

I don't care about an apology just stop the BS about the cloud/forcing apps that should be free behind a paywall, how about this week dropping Netflix to free Silver for 360 like all other devices and continue that to One and with other similar apps. I am already going to have to pay an extra $100 for a feature I don't want in the system and it is still a less powerful machine even though launch games should look similar and even One looking best at first since western developers early on had to be putting most their bets on next Xbox development being the safest bet.

FINALBOSS

Banned
I hope the managers at the Gamestop conference are being given PDF files that contain a spreadsheet of Xbone restrictions/facts that needs to be laminated and handed to all Xbone customers. An extra manual to the included manual.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think they probably care more that they have roughly 37 preorders total globally and the new investor that has officially taken over the entirety of Microsoft's board has already said he "hates Xbox" and thinks "gamers are fucking idiots."

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I think they probably care more that they have roughly 37 preorders total globally and the new investor that has officially taken over the entirety of Microsoft's board has already said he "hates Xbox" and thinks "gamers are fucking idiots."

#TRUTHFACT

Nibiru

Banned
Technology is changing so fast and getting exponentially better every year how in the world can any company say a product will be relevant for 10 years!

Riki

Yamauchi took over Microsoft?

Whatever "side" or position there is no excuse for folks to get personal or constantly obnoxious

MarkusRJR

I know there's no chance of getting a post that isn't wildly inaccurate from you, but I will respond anyway:

They didn't have to change their policy JUST for 'internet-less submarine dwellers' - by the way, that's a brilliant insult to over 30 million Xbox 360 owners and equally dramatic numbers of individuals who did not connect online on PS3 or Wii - they changed their policy because EVERYONE was furious with Microsoft. And it wasn't just because of the internet and the always-online check; it's because they revealed lending, renting, etc would be severely restricted or removed entirely (and they let people think this for weeks before they tried to apply a hasty bandaid to the idea around E3, and people rejected it 'cause no one believed shit they had to say anymore.) It's because they revealed Kinect was forced on people and couldn't be unplugged for the system to function. And later, at E3, it was because they charged a $100 premium over their competitor for a weaker system that didn't even have any flagship titles to support the tech causing the added price for launch. Kinect Sports Rival was pushed to Spring 2014!

Every single poll that was taken? Every single one... massively in favor of PS4. Entire major mainstream newspapers ran polls where PS4 destroyed XBox One in desire to purchase. Pre-order numbers? Disastrous in every territory prior to the 180s. Most mass market media reports that touched the subject were negative. Several countries - including Germany and Australia - had high ranking political officials talk disparagingly about what the system was going to do with always-on Kinect. Gamestop was confirmed to be basically going to war with Microsoft on the Xbox One prior to the 180s; so was RedBox, which actually had a page made prior to E3 to discuss the "implications" of Microsoft's strategy. Jimmy Fallon made fun of Xbox One's restrictions and propped up the Ps4's alternative strategy.

So, who do you think you're fooling with the idea that it was just a few lonely internet-less submarine dwellers who were outraged? 85% of the entire gaming community EVERYWHERE other than fanboy websites, most mainstream media reports and a whole lot of gaming journalists were finally by the end starting to get extremely negative about the XBO.

Revisionist History may work sometimes, but not when it was only a few months ago and everybody still remembers the exact details of what happened.

Haha, man. What a delightful thought - only people who took Xbox One's original horrific strategy in stride are "real fans" who should be apologized to!

Ah, the fanboys who have latched onto giant faceless corporations like ancient mussles attached to the side of a decaying sunken ship. I truly feel for such individuals.
God damn. It's posts like these that remind me how much of an awesome poster you are. :eek:

You should really update that list you had around E3 with all of the PR fuck-ups MS made since then. It'd make an hilarious retrospective on how badly MS positioned the Xbox One.

This really does reek of desperation and it makes the pre order situation with the xbox one look even more dire. In all honesty they shouldn't even be saying sorry, if you didn't like their policies then buy a ps4. The only time I can think of where a company should have apologized to their fans is the whole ps3 hacker situation. And Sony did say they were sorry and it felt genuine.

Kyon

Banned

Good thing I buy my consoles based on games and not drama/politics. Xbox One day one for me.

Go ahead and define "politics" and "drama" for me, because in the context you just used them in, they make no sense whatsoever.

3 months ago Microsoft tried to usurp consumer rights. They wanted to loophole consumers out of the right of first sale and oh yeah, they wanted to require everyone to be online to use their console, and furthermore to check in every 24 hours whether you were playing a single player game offline or not, an experiment in DRM that was shown multiple times to only hinder game experiences this generation. They also required kinect, not just to be plugged in but for the box to function, and PRISM showed that not just those wearing tinfoil hats had a reason to be a little concerned about an always connected device in their living room that could listen and see beng required for their games console to function.

They wanted to fundamentally alter the consumer rights of the gaming industry and whether or not this would have affected you personally, it certainly didn't amount to a bunch of 'politics' and 'drama'.

This is without even mentioning the half baked policies and confused, conflicting responses by Microsoft higher ups to simple questions in the month following the XBONE reveal. This is without mentioning Larry Hyrb's condescending, patronizing dismissal to an interviewee who insinuated the restrictive DRM features were simply a software feature that could be switched off, an insinuation which would be proved entirely true just a few weeks later when Microsoft flipped its course and removed the features.
And finally, this is all without even mentioning the fact that the XBOX was abandoned at the launch of the 360, and now the 360 is being left to die just the same, while the PS2 is just now being put out to pasture by Sony, and in the launch year of the PS4, Sony has given PS3 arguably its strongest lineup of games in its 6 year existence. This is without mentioning the relative value of PS+ over XBOX Live Gold, how Microsoft puts services that consumers already pay for behind their own paywall.

Look, I own a PS3 and not a 360. I have a PlayStation logo in my avatar. I'm not perfectly objective, because I am a human being with tastes and preferences and biases and I am different than you. But there is a reason people are upset with Microsoft still. There was a good reason behind the uproar at their proposed policies. The people spoke, on the internet and in person, with their mouths and wallets, and they spoke loudly enough that Microsoft had to do something so drastic as to be almost completely without precedent and completely change said policies just months after telling the world about them.

Obviously, you certainly aren't wrong in any way for still wanting an XBONE. You have every right to be excited about the games that will exclusively come to that console, to the rich experiences it offers. But where you are wrong is in reducing Microsoft's original plans and the corresponding consumer backlash to mere trivial "politics" and "drama".

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
There's literally only one thing that could turn the tide but it's a doozy.

Remove the Gold requirement to play games online.

Take the opposite approach as Sony. Charge for Netflix and other services, but make online gaming free as it was always meant to be. After forcing Sony's hand into changing their online strategy, put them in a corner by changing it back.

Too bad they'll never do it.

If they got rid of Gold then they would have to foot the bill on moneyhats instead of Live subscribers.

Biker19

Banned
I don't want to hear about how much they care about the community when they tried to pull the biggest screw job in the industry's history. Not to mention they damn near completely abandoned gamers on 360 years ago.

Exactly.

Also, with RROD, no long term commitment towards core 1st/2nd party titles, having us shell out lots of money for their accessories (like their HDD's), & forcing us to pay for Xbox Live Gold just to access free apps behind a paywall, etc.

Why should I care for the Xbox brand, exactly? There's no reason to buy their platforms at all for 3rd party games when you can get the same 3rd party games on another console along with tons of 1st/2nd party games.

Mindlog

The people who failed this company were paid millions upon millions of dollars.
MS has burned and will burn billions more on consumer facing products that will never be as successful.

Anyone with a little common sense from outside the echo chamber could have told them this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom