• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Now Advertising Series S as a 1080p/60 Device

NullZ3r0

Banned

It's more representative of real world games, but I don't think they had to do this. The machine can run games up to 1440p resolution (and even 4K) so the original advertisements were correct. Secondly, PS5 and Series X are advertised as 4K machines but it's rare to find games running in 4K native. 4K-ish with DRS seems to be the order of the day.

It's more representative of real world games, but I don't think they had to do this. The machine can run games up to 1440p resolution (and even 4K) so the original advertisements were correct. Secondly, PS5 and Series X are advertised as 4K machines but it's rare to find games running in 4K native. 4K-ish with DRS seems to be the order of the day.

It has more to do with 1440p not even being available for most TVs most likely. It should have never been marketed as a 1440p device in the first place. I'm glad to see them be more accurate with it's capabilities.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

I imagine they're doing it because most people still have 1080p TVs. Doesn't matter if it does "up to" something, this is a console, it's marketed towards people who think "I just have a HD TV, give me the right Xbox at the right price". 1440p is honestly a confusing concept for people that aren't into tech, most people don't know what it is or means. Same reason "Ultra HD" is a thing.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
They should never had marketed it with 1440p.
In TVs only exists FullHD (1080p) or 4k... not 1440p.
So you need to market the cheaper console to Full HD TV users.

Marketing 1440p will only make the potential buyers think "I have a FullHD TV so I can't have a Series S until get a better TV".

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
all console clearly do not reflect (at the moment) the characteristics much discussed by their respective manufacturers pr.
the s series without ML Super Resolution will remain a 1080p (or less in future) console. The ps5 without I / O optimization (by now we understand that only the first party will exploit it) will not see any improvement due to the speed of the SSD. The X series without the use of the mesh shader + sfs + vrs + ml will not see the difference given by the 12 tf of power + cpu and + bw

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
all console clearly do not reflect (at the moment) the characteristics much discussed by their respective manufacturers pr.
the s series without ML Super Resolution will remain a 1080p (or less in future) console. The ps5 without I / O optimization (by now we understand that only the first party will exploit it) will not see any improvement due to the speed of the SSD. The X series without the use of the mesh shader + sfs + vrs + ml will not see the difference given by the 12 tf of power + gpu and + bw
You just said first party PS5 games do exploit the SSD, I/O tho.....

That contradicts your first sentence. We are seeing this right now with first party PS5 games.. Whats really happening is this:

Lol.

Microsoft market is very very confusing.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It could have something to do with them running forza horizon 4 for the whole video, which is 1080p.

That said this whole burning of the series s for saying 1440p is ridiculous, nobody out there slamming sony and ms for the 4k at 60hz, or the 120hz that often don't run at full res or frame rate. To say nothing of 8k........
Yet the series s gets held to some sort of artificial higher standard for marketing......all console makers have been doing this for 20 years......

It could have something to do with them running forza horizon 4 for the whole video, which is 1080p.

That said this whole burning of the series s for saying 1440p is ridiculous, nobody out there slamming sony and ms for the 4k at 60hz, or the 120hz that often don't run at full res or frame rate. To say nothing of 8k........
Yet the series s gets held to some sort of artificial higher standard for marketing......all console makers have been doing this for 20 years......
Let's me honest people have been hating on the XSS since its announcement. That will not stop. MS should just focus on ensuring developers can properly use its capabilities and that gamers on a budget get the value the box is meant to provide. 1080p/60 is a perfect target for this device.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

"True 4K" "Next Gen Framerates"

vs

"Lightening Speed" "Ultra High Speed SSD"

One of these is a wee bit different than the other.

I swear we've went over this before.....

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They should never had marketed it with 1440p.
In TVs only exists FullHD (1080p) or 4k... not 1440p.
So you need to market the cheaper console to Full HD TV users.

Marketing 1440p will only make the potential buyers think "I have a FullHD TV so I can't have a Series S until get a better TV".
Marketing will always max out the specs, not what the common usage is.

PS3 and Xbox 360 were promoted as 1080p game machines. And how many games out the 1000s actually ran at 1080p? I don't know. Maybe 12?

Every car will state top speed is 200+ km/hr. Most people don't come close to that and don't care about a car's top speed.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
1080 60 fps for cross gen games.

I highly doubt it will run next gen games at 1080p 60 fps. Especially UE5 games that will run at 1440p 30 fps on the PS5. The PS5 is 2.5x more powerful which means we are looking at 900p 30 fps at the same settings. Thats assuming the ram doesnt cause them to lower the settings.

900p 30 fps vs 1080p 60 fps is a massive difference in pixel budget. if a game runs at 900p 30 fps on a 4 tflops card, you will need a 10 tflops card to run it at 1080p 60 fps.

It has more to do with 1440p not even being available for most TVs most likely. It should have never been marketed as a 1440p device in the first place. I'm glad to see them be more accurate with it's capabilities.
This is what I was thinking. It might actually have more marketable value right now as a 1080p machine.

Hm... Why they've advertised just one game?

leo-j

rare to find games running at 4K native?
Demon’s souls is 4K native
Miles morales is 4K native with ray tracing
Astro bot
Sack boy
crash 4(with some rare dips to like 2088p)
And more.......

ethomaz

Banned
Marketing will always max out the specs, not what the common usage is.

PS3 and Xbox 360 were promoted as 1080p game machines. And how many games out the 1000s actually ran at 1080p? I don't know. Maybe 12?

Every car will state top speed is 200+ km/hr. Most people don't come close to that and don't care about a car's top speed.
So should they market with 4k? Because they the max S output I believe.

1440p doesn’t exists for TVs... it is either 1080p, 4k or 8k.

And in this specific case 1080p sells better the machine because most gamers still have 1080p setups.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
You just said first party PS5 games do exploit the SSD, I/O tho.....

That contradicts your first sentence. We are seeing this right now with first party PS5 games.. Whats really happening is this:
no because as right happens that half of the games for one reason or another games load faster on other consoles? I said AT THE MOMENT the console does not show their peculiarities

Stuart360

I think what it may of been was Xbox first party games may be targeting native 4k on XSX, and in that sense they probably could get first party games to 1440p on XSS, but in reality the consoles are simply not powerful enough for native 4k in cross gen games, nevermind next gen games, so yeah 1080p will probably be the target rez for most 3rd party devs, even lower probably if they are also targeting 60fps.

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
remember last year

oRl5eYz.0.png

Lol from 1440p/120fps capable to dynamic 1080p/60fps
m9OG9aL.png

Xdrive05

Dynamic 1080p 60fps is the sweet spot for this machine. Will it sometimes drop to 900p or so? Sure, of course it will. That's fine.

The important thing this gen is that the LCD console targets 60fps, and has the CPU grunt to deliver on that.

1080p and under is fine in this price range. The IQ difference is negligible to most people anyway at livingroom distances. The bigger problem for MS is that PS5 digital is not that much more expensive and yet delivers the full spec. Hardcore-curious gamers have very little incentive to save $100 for dramatically reduced performance.

Anyway, nice to see MS change the target for this thing to be more realistic. I still think Series S is a fantastic little machine, and I would definitely consider getting one, even for my Sony X900H. If I didn't have a gaming PC then that would be my Bethesda Box, let's say.

DaGwaphics

I think 1080p is a better advertising point for it anyway. Some devs have really done great work with the machine and others....

Hopefully, more devs will look at what Ubi did with AC and give users 30fps with a more comparable visual to XSX or 60fps at whatever resolution and with whatever setting reductions are needed to make that work (go 720p if you have to). I've seen a few of the devs recently try to go with 60fps with aggressive settings and it has just resulted in performance that's consistently in the 40fps range.

@ Banjo64 Banjo64 , that's even more egregious. LOL When Sony stuck that 8k on the box the system couldn't even output at that resolution.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Doesn't it support 4K though? So technically games should still look fine even on 1440P screens.

What a PS5 looks like on a 1440p screen is entirely up to the monitor. The PS5 will send a 1080p signal, it's then up to the monitor to take it from there. Some will do well, others not so good.

Hopefully they will add native 1440p support in a future update.

Top Bottom