• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Open To Allowing Their Studios To Make Multiplatform Games, But Major AAA Titles Will Be On Xbox Only.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Recently, for instance, Cuphead came out on the Switch, and though developers Studio MDHR aren’t owned by Microsoft – and thus aren’t a first party studio – Cuphead very much is owned by Microsoft, and seeing it release on a non-Microsoft platform was a refreshing surprise. But the question is- might we see more of this in the future? According to Matt Booty, head of Xbox Game Studios, it’s very much a possibility.

“I think we would,” said Booty when asked in an interview with Game Informer if, in a hypothetical scenario that one of their studios wanted to maintain a a multiplatform output, whether Microsoft would allow such a thing. “I think that the question is less binary about ‘should it be on Switch? Should it be on PlayStation?’ and more ‘does it make sense for the franchise?’ In other words, is it a kind of game where it would benefit from the network effect of being on a bunch of different platforms? Or is it a game where we can best support it by putting resources and making sure that our platforms – things like xCloud and Game Pass and Xbox Live, we’re really leaning in to support the game.”

Booty then brought up the example of Minecraft as an example, which is on both PlayStation and the Switch (among many, many others), and how it continues to b a multiplatform title even after developers Mahjong were acquired by Microsoft. Even the upcoming action RPG spinoff Minecraft Dungeons, in fact, is going to be a multiplatform release. He did, however, go on to say that Microsoft is still going to want to kep its major tentpole releases exclusive to its own systems.

“With something like Minecraft, I think it was a no-brainer that were never going to try to take anything away from players that existed on those platforms, and certainly we’ve added new platforms since that acquisition. But then, obviously, we’re going to have our big franchises like Forza and Halo and Sea of Thieves, where those games are designed from the outset to really exist on Xbox, and I think that will continue.”

Folks have predicted this since the late 360 era. Not a surprise.

Soon enough, they will also soften on the "major AAA titles will be on Xbox only", or will reinterpret that to mean "when we said Xbox only, we meant the Xbox streaming family of devices which now includes Playstation and Google and Nintendo and... "

NickFire

Cutting through the PR tape, he is putting to bed any speculation or hopes we had about the main franchises going multi platform. Guessing that for him its better to say it this way (designed for Xbox) than acknowledge how important exclusives can be for a console's sales numbers.

meirl

Banned

Soon enough, they will also soften on the "major AAA titles will be on Xbox only", or will reinterpret that to mean "when we said Xbox only, we meant the Xbox streaming family of devices which now includes Playstation and Google and Nintendo and... "

Not really. This is only for titles that have been Multiplattform in the past and aren’t really optimized for Xbox.
These are small little indie titles, that would otherwise not be really profitable. Small titles like Cuphead etc. It makes perfect sense.

Stop spinning like this would mean HALO on PS4. This is ridiculous. And if you believe that you must be beyond stupid and an ignorant console warrior.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Now, the question is what constitutes a "major AAA" title. One would assume first-party, internal studio stuff... but what about a big-budget Obsidian game, for example?

NickFire

Not really. This is only for titles that have been Multiplattform in the past and aren’t really optimized for Xbox.
These are small little indie titles, that would otherwise not be really profitable. Small titles like Cuphead etc. It makes perfect sense.

Stop spinning like this would mean HALO on PS4. This is ridiculous. And if you believe that you must be beyond stupid and an ignorant console warrior.
I'm gonna be honest, if you buy into the "can't do it cause they are optimized for Xbox" claim, you should probably avoid calling someone else a stupid and ignorant console warrior. Optimization has nothing to do with this. Its all about maintaining a reason for average Joe's to buy an Xbox, and nothing more.

Dabaus

Banned
Im guessing that a 50 percent drop in hardware revenue sales and Gears 5 having no hype at all has some of these guys spooked. Im guessing behind the scenes Team xbox dont actually know what to do. Phil says he wants all games everywhere, Booty says he wants some games somewhere. The architect of Scarlett left in June. Xcloud has zero hype or interest behind it. The worst part is they have to languish another year and 3 months while sales and revenues continue to fall for a best case scenario of hitting reset next gen and hoping to sell on par with PS5.

This is the same reaction prior to Xbox sending their "exclusives" to PC.

I'm not the console warrior in this exchange :messenger_tears_of_joy:

NickFire

Im guessing that a 50 percent drop in hardware revenue sales and Gears 5 having no hype at all has some of these guys spooked. Im guessing behind the scenes Team xbox dont actually know what to do. Phil says he wants all games everywhere, Booty says he wants some games somewhere. The architect of Scarlett left in June. Xcloud has zero hype or interest behind it. The worst part is they have to languish another year and 3 months while sales and revenues continue to fall for a best case scenario of hitting reset next gen and hoping to sell on par with PS5.
I think you are right that they are getting spooked regardless of the reasons for it. They have been in a full court press the last few days with media (see gamespot for example). Lots of talk about diversity (Halo), focusing on 60 FPS, xcloud being future but not replacing consoles, Phi is a people's man, etc. And now confirmation that the games they consider to be their best will not be on PS5. By and large good talk for a console developer to be honest, but the timing (as you pointed out) says a lot to me. They are trying to right the ship, in my opinion, before it leaves dry dock. Very understandable, and frankly their wounds have been entirely self inflicted in my opinion. How the F did these guys have E3 essentially to themselves, yet fail to move the needle of public opinion? Unfathomable to me that they brought so little meat with all that E3 sizzle.

Also, I really do think Epic's store threw a monkey wrench in their plans. I bet we would be having different conversations today if they still only had one formidable competitor in the PC realm.

Vawn

Banned

They at least considered exactly that.

Maybe not AAA, but one of their biggest exclusives, Cuphead has already been ported to Nintendo Switch with very credible rumors that Ori games are to follow.

At one point, it sounded impossible that Microsoft would even allow their biggest AAA Xbox games be on PC, but that's already true.

Halo, Gears, Forza, etc on PS5 Is not as impossible as some people want to believe.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
This is the slow drip-feed effect getting you comfortable over time until they are full blown service. Can't shock the loyal base moving too fast.

They want to slowly integrate those xbox live users into gamespass before they rip the band aid off and go full third party service provider. Problem is, xbros are starting to figure it out so they need to send Phil and Booty out to damage control.

I am happy with that approach as it means that Microsoft's A Teams can focus maonly on their own hardware and Nintendo will help showcase their smaller games better than Microsoft can.

Well, not surprised. This has been the case for many years now. In fact since the Game Boy Advance days with Rare. They have not pulled games from their acquired studios from the stores, like We Happy Few, Pillars of Eternity, or Wasteland 2 either.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is the slow drip-feed effect getting you comfortable over time until they are full blown service. Can't shock the loyal base moving too fast.

Many on GAF have been seeing this coming. The Xbox head just said a few months back that console hardware sales don't matter anymore. MS is trying to tell us what their future plan is and it's so obvious. Especially now that every Xbox game (including Halo) will be on PC now.

Vawn

Banned
Master-Chief-Collection-Coming-to-PC%252C-Adds-Halo-%25E2%2580%2593-Reach.jpg

new_super_luckys_tale_opt.jpg

154339b.jpg

220px-Blue_Dragon_Plus_US_Boxart_Small.jpg

null-H-002.xxl3.jpgexportGa4PCo68TlLe9g

15307818027_93801746ca_o.png

gears%205.jpg

Last edited:

NickFire

Many on GAF have been seeing this coming. The Xbox head just said a few months back that console hardware sales don't matter anymore. MS is trying to tell us what their future plan is and it's so obvious. Especially now that every Xbox game (including Halo) will be on PC now.
I have felt the same way, and honestly I still suspect that is where they will end up. But I am willing to take this at face value as the plan du jour, because I have to believe that somewhere inside MS there is a person or two who realize that having no big game console exclusives is a really bad idea for a console manufacturer. That said, I have also become convinced that one of the best thing MS did for gamers as a whole is about to backfire on them big time, by which I mean making backwards compatibility a real baseline expectation going into next generation. I really do feel bad for them there, because I appreciate their efforts on that front for me personally (huge digital PS4 library), which ultimately give me less reason to switch back to their eco-system than at any point since the current generation launched.

Also, I really don't see how Minecraft is relevant to this discussion. They paid billions for that IP, and removing it from competitor console markets would have cause them huge financial harm after that deal. Both by preventing sales of software, and by reducing the brand value.

Teslerum

Steam isn't exactly an argument as its the same platform (PC). For example theres not going to be a specific Linux or Mac version. Neither is the first Outer Worlds as Microsoft doesn't get to decide platforms on that (potential sequels would be).

They're gonna do what they're gonna do.

DanielsM

Banned
Steam isn't exactly an argument as its the same platform (PC). For example theres not going to be a specific Linux or Mac version. Neither is the first Outer Worlds as Microsoft doesn't get to decide platforms on that (potential sequels would be).

PC = Xbox ?

At the end of the day, this is just a step, the Xbox as a Hardware is optional and will most likely just be one of many targets.

I just look at Microsoft as I would any other publisher at this point. (Revenue should continue to drop to reflect this new reality over the coming years in the gaming financials - going to be a much smaller Xbox)

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
That said, I have also become convinced that one of the best thing MS did for gamers as a whole is about to backfire on them big time, by which I mean making backwards compatibility a real baseline expectation going into next generation. I really do feel bad for them there

Yeah, because the Xbox One was the first console ever to have backwards compatibility.

And this one generation where they had it and PS4 and Switch didn't, really hurt Sony and Nintendo in console sales while Xbox One sales skyrocketed.

Wait. Actually, none of that happened.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
PC = Xbox ?

At the end of the day, this is just a step, the Xbox as a Hardware is optional and will most likely just be one of many targets.

I just look at Microsoft as I would any other publisher at this point. (Revenue should continue to drop to reflect this new reality over the coming years in the gaming financials - going to be a much smaller Xbox)

If they continue to make Xbox systems in the future, eventually it will like their Surface lineup (since the Surface team is now engineering them, yes?), and will just be another option to play games on. Just like Surface is another PC option for productivity.

Otterz4Life

Microsoft has always been far more supportive of PC and other platforms than anyone else. I played and loved the PC version of Halo: CE many years ago. Fable released on PC a year after being on Xbox. As PC gaming has grown in popularity, so too will Microsoft’s support of it.

But it’s always been on a case by case basis. They’ve bought huge franchises like Minecraft and, instead of taking access away from gamers, they kept it multiplatform and added platforms. Same deal with Outer Worlds. That’s all Booty is saying.

Don’t expect Halo: Infinite, Gears 5 or Ori 2 on PS5 anytime soon.

NickFire

Yeah, because the Xbox One was the first console ever to have backwards compatibility.

And this one generation where they had it and PS4 and Switch didn't, really hurt Sony and Nintendo in console sales while Xbox One sales skyrocketed.

Wait. Actually, none of that happened.
Hold on here, are you actually denying that MS has lead the charge towards backwards compatibility becoming an expected feature for next gen?

I am not criticizing Sony for recognizing MS strategy the past few years in case you were worried. I am actually thrilled that Sony is bringing BC to next gen because of my digital library on PS4.

Last edited:

Teslerum

PC = Xbox ?

A = PC not the same as consoles as a platform, especially for Microsoft.
B = PC = Windows = Microsoft

Which is why I mentioned Linux and Mac.

Vawn

Banned
If they continue to make Xbox systems in the future, eventually it will like their Surface lineup (since the Surface team is now engineering them, yes?), and will just be another option to play games on. Just like Surface is another PC option for productivity.

No, PCs are not Xboxes or vice versa.

As far as games are concerned, all Xbox games going forward are on PC, but not every PC game is on Xbox and Microsoft cannot change that.

DanielsM

Banned
A = PC not the same as consoles as a platform, especially for Microsoft.
B = PC = Windows = Microsoft

Which is why I mentioned Linux and Mac.

Well, Steam wasn't the same as Games for Windows Live Microsoft Store, yet, now it is. Microsoft doesn't care about these devices, you might care, they don't... not really. Eventually, they are going to have to go where the customers are i.e. same as what their phone strategy was/is. (give it a little bit on the stove, they can't just throw the frogs into the boiling water)

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Hold on here, are you actually denying that MS has lead the charge towards backwards compatibility becoming an expected feature for next gen?

Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying.

PlayStation was doing BC before Xbox was even a thing. This was the first time a PlayStation console ever released that wasn't compatible with the previous generation (outside of streaming) and that is only because the PS3 cell processor made it unrealistic without drastically increasing the console price.

Console sales-wise this neither hurt PS4 or helped Xbox One significantly. Xbox did not make this an expected feature at all. The Switch still isn't BC, and it released well after Xbox implemented BC in the Xbox One.

I still appreciate the Xbox being the only console this particular gen to eventually get a form of BC running, but you're fooling yourself if you think that has forced Sony or Nintendo's hand at all.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No, PCs are not Xboxes or vice versa.

As far as games are concerned, all Xbox games going forward are on PC, but not every PC game is on Xbox and Microsoft cannot change that.

That is not what I am saying.

I was saying their Xbox's in the future (if they continue to make them after next-gen), will be another option to play their games (and third party games) on, but not locked to that console like they saying right now. Their AAA will eventually go to other console platforms as well.

Last edited:

Steam Play Proton

NickFire

Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying.

PlayStation was doing BC before Xbox was even a thing. This was the first time a PlayStation console ever released that wasn't compatible with the previous generation (outside of streaming) and that is only because the PS3 cell processor made it unrealistic without drastically increasing the console price.

Console sales this neither hurt PS4 or helped Xbox One significantly. Xbox did not make this an expected feature at all. The Switch still isn't BC, and it released well after Xbox implemented BC in the Xbox One.
Well then I steadfastly disagree with you. Sony has sold almost 100 million units with no BC unless you buy a remaster or subscribe to PS Now. That would give them ample reason to try the same strategy, but they are not, and their decision was made after MS has trumpeted bc for years while they did not do the same. It is very obvious to me that Sony is feature matching here.

Vawn

Banned
That is not what I am saying.

I was saying their Xbox's in the future (if they continue to make them after next-gen), will be another option to play their games (and third party games) on, but not locked to that console like they saying right now. Their AAA will eventually go to other console platforms as well.

But it is just an option to play a subset of the games they could play on any other PC.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
But it is just an option to play a subset of the games they could play on any other PC.

Not everyone can afford, or buys a PC for gaming. The box is convenience.

Just like Surface is an option out of many PCs that have all of MS's products, that you can have on a Dell, Lenovo, etc..

Hell, you can have MS productivity on Macs too.

All I am saying, is when they go full blown service mode like they are basically telling everyone will happen, and if they still are going to make Xbox's when or after that happens, it will just be another option to play their games on, even when their software is on every other device out there. As long as it remains profitable for them.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Well then I steadfastly disagree with you. Sony has sold almost 100 million units with no BC unless you buy a remaster or subscribe to PS Now. That would give them ample reason to try the same strategy, but they are not, and their decision was made after MS has trumpeted bc for years while they did not do the same. It is very obvious to me that Sony is feature matching here.

Sony has the feature first. They didn't do it last gen because of the special circumstances of the very unique architecture of the PS3. Microsoft didn't have to deal with that situation with 360. Yes, that design was Sony's mistake, but that was the only reason the PS4 became the only PlayStation to not have BC.

PS4 does not suffer from that same issue. PS5 would have been BC regardless.

If Xbox One's BC proved anything is that customers really don't consider BC a major selling factor. Just look at the console sales.

NickFire

No shit sherlock. We get it. Xbox games are on PC. WTF does that matter when talking about console exclusives?

If Xbox One's BC proved anything is that customers really don't consider BC a major selling factor. Just look at the console sales.

How can you really point to current sales in the context of BC being a possible selling point for next gen? No prior generation had nearly the digital adoption rate of this generation.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
No shit sherlock. We get it. Xbox games are on PC. WTF does that matter when talking about console exclusives?
Console exclusives is still just a word, its not really exclusive at that point. The fringe buyers just avoid it (dedicated console) at that point, but lets be honest here, they lost quite a bit market share and those users aren't coming back. Its there phone strategy basically with a twist, they think (not me) there is a possibility they can turn the Microsoft Store around with Game Pass. Generally, they are more akin to a normal publisher at this point.

Microsoft has a long road to travel, I personally don't think they have the stomach for it.... come back in 7-10 years and we can review.

Last edited:

NickFire

Console exclusives is still just a word, its not really exclusive at that point. The fringe buyers just avoid it at that point, but lets be honest here, they lost quite a bit market share and those users aren't coming back. Its there phone strategy basically with a twist, they think (not me) there is a possibility they can turn the Microsoft Store around with Game Pass. Generally, they are more akin to a normal publisher at this point.
I personally think console exclusivity is material to a lot more gamers than you would expect, if you assume people like us (posting on a gaming forum) are representative of the overall gaming population.

Vawn

Banned
Console exclusives is still just a word, its not really exclusive at that point. The fringe buyers just avoid it (dedicated console) at that point, but lets be honest here, they lost quite a bit market share and those users aren't coming back. Its there phone strategy basically with a twist, they think (not me) there is a possibility they can turn the Microsoft Store around with Game Pass. Generally, they are more akin to a normal publisher at this point.

And once MS convinces Sony or Nintendo to allow GamePass on those devices, you'll see Halo, Gears and any other Xbox games on every platform.

Xbox might still be a thing, but I can't personally understand why you would want one.

DanielsM

Banned
And once MS convinces Sony or Nintendo to allow GamePass on those devices, you'll see Halo, Gears and any other Xbox games on every platform.

Xbox might still be a thing, but I can't personally understand why you would want one.

Yeah, hard to tell. I mean Sony allows EA Access thing, not sure what the difference is, but I would assume the device holder get a cut of the revenue. I personnally don't see much of a business model with these rental programs though.

I personally think console exclusivity is material to a lot more gamers than you would expect, if you assume people like us (posting on a gaming forum) are representative of the overall gaming population.

I think there are a few different reasons why gamers buy what they do, I would hate to say its one reason, exclusive title, but it is an important one.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned

I agree with this. Pure exclusivity doesn't matter when comparing two devices.

For example, if I don't own a gaming PC and I want to play only Halo, I'll buy an Xbox over a PlayStation. The fact that it's on PC is irrelevant.

Or, if I don't care to own a Switch and want to play Japanese games like Dragon Quest, I'd buy a PlayStation over an Xbox.

A systems total library is what matters.

But, let's not act like a gaming PC is an imaginary device. Its ultimately just another gaming platform like all the rest. Calling something a "console exclusive" just sounds like you're trying to deceive someone. It doesn't matter if we are talking about Gears or Street Fighter 5.

Last edited:

I highly doubt that. He was talking about games like Minecraft and Outer Worlds1 which were either already out or already planned to be multi-platform when they bought them.

Minecraft being exclusive at this point would only hurt the franchise since people have already invested tons of $ in the game on multiple platforms. They cant just take it away at this point.

I highly doubt that. He was talking about games like Minecraft and Outer Worlds1 which were either already out or already planned to be multi-platform when they bought them.

Minecraft being exclusive at this point would only hurt the franchise since people have already invested tons of $ in the game on multiple platforms. They cant just take it away at this point.
As others have indicated, Microsoft has been slowly moving in the multiplatform direction for a while. It's not just the most recent studio purchases.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Nothing new really Sega did it with there consoles except for Saturn and Dreamcast.

Edit i think some of the Dreamcast and Saturn stuff went on PC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom