• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Open To Allowing Their Studios To Make Multiplatform Games, But Major AAA Titles Will Be On Xbox Only.

NickFire

I agree with this. Pure exclusivity doesn't matter when comparing two devices.

For example, if I don't own a gaming PC and I want to play only Halo, I'll buy an Xbox over a PlayStation. The fact that it's on PC is irrelevant.

Or, if I don't care to own a Switch and want to play Japanese games like Dragon Quest, I'd buy a PlayStation over an Xbox.

A systems total library is what matters.

But, let's not act like a gaming PC is an imaginary device. Its ultimately just another gaming platform like all the rest. Calling something a "console exclusive" just sounds like you're trying to deceive someone. It doesn't matter if we are talking about Gears or Street Fighter 5.
I can kind of understand how a person might feel the phrase console exclusive is trying to deceive someone. I don't agree with it, but its entirely possible that I am just immune to negativity regarding the phrase because it is clear and unambiguous to me. I suppose if I did not know what it meant, I might be taken aback to later find out its playable on PC. Doubtful, but no way for me to say with certainty.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I have felt the same way, and honestly I still suspect that is where they will end up. But I am willing to take this at face value as the plan du jour, because I have to believe that somewhere inside MS there is a person or two who realize that having no big game console exclusives is a really bad idea for a console manufacturer. That said, I have also become convinced that one of the best thing MS did for gamers as a whole is about to backfire on them big time, by which I mean making backwards compatibility a real baseline expectation going into next generation. I really do feel bad for them there, because I appreciate their efforts on that front for me personally (huge digital PS4 library), which ultimately give me less reason to switch back to their eco-system than at any point since the current generation launched.

To the bolded......you're right if you believe they want to stay a "console" manufacturer. Xbox is most definitely going into a more service-oriented approach. I think they'll keep making some form of hardware just to keep the Xbox brand alive, but Satella wants MS to be a server/services company. Even more than just a software company. He's pushing Azure, more than MS Office and Windows at this point.

NickFire

To the bolded......you're right if you believe they want to stay a "console" manufacturer. Xbox is most definitely going into a more service-oriented approach. I think they'll keep making some form of hardware just to keep the Xbox brand alive, but Satella wants MS to be a server/services company. Even more than just a software company. He's pushing Azure, more than MS Office and Windows at this point.
Absolutely true. But I would ALSO be right if I believed that they wanted me to be believe that they want to stay a "console" manufacturer for the time being. Apologies for the cumbersome sentence.

mckmas8808

Absolutely true. But I would ALSO be right if I believed that they wanted me to be believe that they want to stay a "console" manufacturer for the time being. Apologies for the cumbersome sentence.

Yep! I'm starting to wonder if MS has a clear internal plan of what they really want to be in the video game business 10 years from now or if they are still doing some soul searching. In the meantime, their hardcore fans are left wondering.....considering their latest moves and statements they've made.

DanielsM

Banned
Sony First party owned studio games have appeared on other systems

Microsoft owned studio games have appeared on other systems

Sega first party games have appeared on other systems

There have been examples of all this already. It's not really new.

Yes and no. They at least put on the appearance of exclusivity. I actually started looking at my original Xbox and Xbox 360 game library, its actually scary how few titles were internal developed at Microsoft. The bought a ton of rights for exclusivity, not so much developed them.

Its an end of era, to a degree, maybe there can be argued they are starting something new (I don't really believe that), but what was.... is no more, generally speaking. The day I see Naughty Dog games released on Steam on launch day than maybe I will compare until than I don't see any immediate change there.... at least not for the time being.

Yep! I'm starting to wonder if MS has a clear internal plan of what they really want to be in the video game business 10 years from now or if they are still doing some soul searching. In the meantime, their hardcore fans are left wondering.....considering their latest moves and statements they've made.

Its a loose plan, go to where the customers are, not a definitive plan like we are going to do A, B, C to the T. Package in other services into bigger bundles i.e. Office 365, Windows Virtual Desktop, Game Pass, etc Throw some mud at the wall and see what sticks.

If we move with the understanding that Xbox is a negative margin thing - whether they lose huge amount of revenue short to medium term is not a big deal.

Last edited:

NickFire

My guess is they want to be in the video game service business (including but not limited to server hosting of course) in 10 years. I doubt they care too much about hardware business 10 years out (if even now), but they see another round of hardware as needed to transition there.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I think this is the right move. Keep your blockbusters exclusive...but don't shoot your bottom line in the foot by totally closing the door to other platforms. I don't see a problem here.

SNG32

Microsoft is a software company. What's happening isn't farfetched they would make way more money if they were a service to there competitors then they do in the position they are in the video game business. The days of them ever being in the number 1 console gaming platform is long gone the inevitable may happen to sony as well. There is an open lane to being the netflix of gaming and Microsoft is executing this effectively.

mckmas8808

Microsoft is a software company. What's happening isn't farfetched they would make way more money if they were a service to there competitors then they do in the position they are in the video game business. The days of them ever being in the number 1 console gaming platform is long gone the inevitable may happen to sony as well. There is an open lane to being the netflix of gaming and Microsoft is executing this effectively.

There's no reason to believe video game customers are looking for a Netflix of Gaming. Nor do we have any reason to believe if a Netflix of gaming could actually be profitable at all.

SNG32

There's no reason to believe video game customers are looking for a Netflix of Gaming. Nor do we have any reason to believe if a Netflix of gaming could actually be profitable at all.

There off to a good start with Gamepass. I would definitely take something like that on Playstation.

Dabaus

Banned

Doesnt netflix lose billions of dollars, or did very recently?? Games take longer to make, are harder to make, and are more expensive to make, than a netflix show or movie. Whose to say in a year or so PSNOW wont be as good a value as gamepass? Or when third parties do their own streaming/subscription wouldnt that sort of rain on MS's parade? Theyre going this route because it their only option short of dropping out.

Vawn

Banned
There off to a good start with Gamepass. I would definitely take something like that on Playstation.

I honestly wouldn't. I don't consume games like I do other media. When I buy a game, I usually play that same game for weeks at a time. Having 50 games means little to me, if I'm not going to play 49 of them. Hell, I might not play any if the one game I want isn't on the list.

The danger of rental services is that it leads to a quantity over quality scenario. Games don't have to he good enough to justify a $60 price tag. They just have to be good enough to give a small reason to keep the subscription.

I don't want a subscription based gaming future personally. It ends up sounding much better in theory than it ends up being in reality.

mckmas8808

I honestly wouldn't. I don't consume games like I do other media. When I buy a game, I usually play that same game for weeks at a time. Having 50 games means little to me, if I'm not going to play 49 of them. Hell, I might not play any if the one game I want isn't on the list.

The danger of rental services is that it leads to a quantity over quality scenario. Games don't have to he good enough to justify a $60 price tag. They just have to be good enough to give a small reason to keep the subscription.

I don't want a subscription based gaming future personally. It ends up sounding much better in theory than it ends up being in reality.

THIS! This is an issue that MS may run into when it comes to all of those new studios that they bought. What will MS' directive be? To make high caliber games that are worth $60 a piece? Or to make many average games to justify a $10 a month Gamepass subscription?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

And that is exactly what Netflix is. No thanks.

SNG32

But it's just an option there's still selling the games on there store for you to purchase and keep permanetly and it works better for you. You pay 10 dollars a month for a game you'll only play for a week plus more if you want to. I don't see how having this service and supplementing it with a game store is bad. You are giving your customers an option to go to blockbuster or Gamestop in the convience of your own home.

Vawn

Banned
But it's just an option there's still selling the games on there store for you to purchase and keep permanetly and it works better for you. You pay 10 dollars a month for a game you'll only play for a week plus more if you want to. I don't see how having this service and supplementing it with a game store is bad. You are giving your customers an option to go to blockbuster or Gamestop in the convience of your own home.

Are they still making AAA games at the same quality? I don't think they are.

SNG32

All there triple AAA games that they have developed exclusively for Xbox One is on gamepass. Gears of war 5 will be on gamepass just like Halo infinite. If a few third party studios decide to play nice and release games on the platform than bonus.

DanielsM

Banned

The problem is.... people were not willing to pay $10 a month for it, which is why they had to give it away for $1. Just because someone offers something doesn't mean there is a stable business model behind it i.e. Netflix, Uber, Lyft, Tesla, etc. ( I think at best the jury is out on this. )

I have many unanswered questions as to these rental services, either way I think Microsoft has a tough long road, I think of them as more of just a traditional publisher now i.e. pre-Xbox.

If a few third party studios decide to play nice and release games on the platform than bonus.
Why would the big publishers use Microsoft for what they already have?

Last edited:

SNG32

The problem is.... people were not willing to pay $10 a month for it, which is why they had to give it away for $1. Just because someone offers something doesn't mean there is a stable business model behind it i.e. Netflix, Uber, Lyft, Tesla, etc. ( I think at best the jury is out on this. )

I have many unanswered questions as to these rental services, either way I think Microsoft has a tough long road.

I agree it won't be an easy road for them but hopefully that investment in the studios they made makes it better.

Vawn

Banned
All there triple AAA games that they have developed exclusively for Xbox One is on gamepass. Gears of war 5 will be on gamepass just like Halo infinite. If a few third party studios decide to play nice and release games on the platform than bonus.

I know they're on there. But how good are they now? It seems pretty apparent Nintendo and PlayStation's exclusive keep setting the bar higher and higher, while Xbox software quality is moving in the other direction.

Are you honestly satisfied with games like Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 or are just putting them in the category of "shrug, well, at least they're on GamePass"?

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I can see why people compare Gamepass to Netflix but it is different.
1st party games is the only part you can compare to Netflix really as Microsoft fund them.
Most of everything else is a indie or a 3rd party game that sales fall of a cliff after a month or even less. So why not put your games on Gamepass after a while and get at least something for them rather than nothing you get of the 2nd hand sales etc.

DanielsM

Banned
I agree it won't be an easy road for them but hopefully that investment in the studios they made makes it better.
That's the problem, their investment isn't anything yet... they need invest many many billions to just have a shot. (I personally don't see it happening) Basically, they need a new major title every month, imo, more or less, they are having a hard time getting a major release every year right now.

I'm not saying impossible - its just going to be a very long and hard road. The whole Netflix model is just a stock selling and cash burning operation - when that baby breaks its going to be fun to watch.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I know they're on there. But how good are they now? It seems pretty apparent Nintendo and PlayStation's exclusive keep setting the bar higher and higher, while Xbox software quality is moving in the other direction.

Are you honestly satisfied with games like Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 or are just putting them in the category of "shrug, well, at least they're on GamePass"?

Agree with you here but i think it will be worth looking at in 2 years or so when the games come from the new studios.

Vawn

Banned
Most of everything else is a indie or a 3rd party game that sales fall of a cliff after a month or even less. So why not put your games on Gamepass after a while and get at least something for them

The thing is after the sales fall off a cliff, I can just buy the game for pennies on the dollar before it his GamePass and I own the game. Games get removed from GamePass all the time, even if you are halfway through the game.

Dabaus

Banned
Agree with you here but i think it will be worth looking at in 2 years or so when the games come from the new studios.

Besides Playground games, none of the studios theyve bought will have anything other than AA projects. Unless AA is what youre excited for.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
The thing is after the sales fall off a cliff, I can just buy the game for pennies on the dollar before it his GamePass and I own the game. Games get removed from GamePass all the time, even if you are halfway through the game.
They don't get removed as often as you think, more go on than come off. Shadow of the Tomb Raider as been on there since Feb, Metro Exodus since June 9th, i was going to buy M Exodus 2nd hand just before it went on gamepass £22-£25, so even if they took it off the end of this month (they give you a months notice i think) i could buy it cheaper 2nd hand now anyway. Win win.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Besides Playground games, none of the studios theyve bought will have anything other than AA projects. Unless AA is what youre excited for.
Well that is what i'm saying let's have i look in 2 years. No game gets me excited these days, none what so ever.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Then why are you spending money on games at all?

And are you just not playing games like Breath of the Wild, God of War, Mario Maker, Spiderman, etc because they're not on Xbox?
Played them all except Spiderman, they don't keep me that interested these days, i did go back to Gow the other day.

jI0wFz6.jpg

Last edited:

Flintty

Long time Xbox fan here and I’m ok with this. Microsoft continue to frustrate me with their hardware decisions and I’m about done with them pissing about with their direction. VR was announced for the X, factoring majorly in my decision to get one and then *poof* gone. The reasons for me sticking with Xbox are Halo, Fable and Forza. If I can play them elsewhere I’m not buying into their on the fence/off the fence hardware strategy.

They’re sorely missing a hardware visionary like the 360 days and they don’t seem to care about it, so why should I? I just want to play the games I enjoy and if I can do that on my new gaming PC or my Switch, or *gasp* a PlayStation I will.

I won’t be streaming shit though.

mckmas8808

Long time Xbox fan here and I’m ok with this. Microsoft continue to frustrate me with their hardware decisions and I’m about done with them pissing about with their direction. VR was announced for the X, factoring majorly in my decision to get one and then *poof* gone. The reasons for me sticking with Xbox are Halo, Fable and Forza. If I can play them elsewhere I’m not buying into their on the fence/off the fence hardware strategy.

They’re sorely missing a hardware visionary like the 360 days and they don’t seem to care about it, so why should I? I just want to play the games I enjoy and if I can do that on my new gaming PC or my Switch, or *gasp* a PlayStation I will.

I won’t be streaming shit though.

I do think MS will regret not jumping into VR sooner.

Airbus Jr

Banned
"Microsoft Open to Allowing Thier Studios to Make Multiplatform Games, But Major AAA Titles Wil Be on Xbox Only"

For Now

Last edited:
Meh, this just sounds like Microsoft trying to court public opinion like with the crossplay issue. People will be like "Sony should give Microsoft their games too". Then a bunch of journos and e-celebs will call Sony names and a few months later no one gives a shit again. How many games did Sony let have crossplay after all that whining? Can probably count them in one hand.

Flintty

I do think MS will regret not jumping into VR sooner.

Yup. I get that they got burned with the Kinect but if VR goes mainstream affordable they’re gonna miss a trick.

It surely can’t be that hard to patch in VR support for the X, using already available hardware.

Vawn

Banned
Meh, this just sounds like Microsoft trying to court public opinion like with the crossplay issue. People will be like "Sony should give Microsoft their games too".

I don't think anyone is saying that. Nor does anyone think Microsoft is doing this to be nice. It's all about them deciding what make financial sense for them.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Just make AAA timed exclusive on Xbox. Once the game dips into irrelevant revenue, dump it everywhere as a special edition and milk a few bucks again.

Smart business assuming it doesn’t devalue the Xbox brand as a platform. But I believe it would be detrimental.

Havoc2049

Recently, Forza Horizon 4 was just as big of a AAA game as past Forza games. Sea of Thieves is the most successful game Rare has made for Microsoft. Gears of War 5 looks to be just as big as past Gears games, with added gameplay modes. Halo Infinite looks to be just as big as past Halo games. The Crackdown series was always a lower tier AAA series and Crackdown 3 was on par with the past games.

xool

This is the slow drip-feed effect getting you comfortable over time until they are full blown service. Can't shock the loyal base moving too fast.

Just having a box out there lets them collect rent on every 3rd party sold on the system. Can't see the bean counters dropping that - if that's what's being suggested.

Or are we just talking about xbox games on PS/Ninendo as well as the box .. that removes any reason to buy the hardware - though at this point I think only loyalists are, so nothing to lose ?

Vawn

Banned
More like Xbox games are part of the PC ecosystem now.

Exactly. The Xbox putting all their games on PC, does not result in PC doing the same.

It's no different from Xbox putting their games on Switch. We won't be seeing Nintendo games on Xbox because of it.

Microsoft needs places to sell software. The other guys don't need Xbox. But they'll obviously take their games for the platform like any other third-party.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
That is not what I am saying.

I was saying their Xbox's in the future (if they continue to make them after next-gen), will be another option to play their games (and third party games) on, but not locked to that console like they saying right now. Their AAA will eventually go to other console platforms as well.
No. No they won't.

Are you guys just being willfully obtuse? When games make sense to go multiplat ie, Minecraft, Ori for Switch etc. For the majority, he means PC, and streaming through Xcloud.

Its hilarious how you mugs shit on everything Xbox until the possibility of their games showing up on your favorite platform becomes this wet dream you're all fantasizing about.

Then, suddenly, "hmm.. I could support them going strictly publisher."

Lol. Hysterical. Bunch of frauds in the gaming community. Fr, Fr.

Top Bottom