• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Open To Allowing Their Studios To Make Multiplatform Games, But Major AAA Titles Will Be On Xbox Only.

Vawn

Banned
No. No they won't.

Are you guys just being willfully obtuse? When games make sense to go multiplat ie, Minecraft, Ori for Switch etc. For the majority, he means PC, and streaming through Xcloud.

Its hilarious how you mugs shit on everything Xbox until the possibility of their games showing up on your favorite platform becomes this wet dream you're all fantasizing about.

Then, suddenly, "hmm.. I could support them going strictly publisher."

Lol. Hysterical. Bunch of frauds in the gaming community. Fr, Fr.

I haven't seen much about people want to happen, just discussions on what is happening and predictions about what is happening.

I don't have "wet dreams" of Gears or Halo on PS4. If I wanted to play those I would on my Xbox.

Cuphead is my favorite Xbox game and I am happy it has moved to Switch. I double-dipped as I always prefer Switch over PS4 and Xbox for games that can run comparatively the same.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No. No they won't.

Are you guys just being willfully obtuse? When games make sense to go multiplat ie, Minecraft, Ori for Switch etc. For the majority, he means PC, and streaming through Xcloud.

Its hilarious how you mugs shit on everything Xbox until the possibility of their games showing up on your favorite platform becomes this wet dream you're all fantasizing about.

Then, suddenly, "hmm.. I could support them going strictly publisher."

Lol. Hysterical. Bunch of frauds in the gaming community. Fr, Fr.

382j9q.jpg

DanielsM

Banned
I haven't seen much about people want to happen, just discussions on what is happening and predictions about what is happening.

I don't have "wet dreams" of Gears or Halo on PS4. If I wanted to play those I would on my Xbox.

Cuphead is my favorite Xbox game and I am happy it has moved to Switch. I double-dipped as I always prefer Switch over PS4 and Xbox for games that can run comparatively the same.

You can't help the kool-aid drinkers.

If Microsoft remastered (with a real dev not The Coalition) the original Gears of War trilogy, I would probably double dip, if released on PS4. I would probably buy HaloCE and Halo2 from MCC as well. I really haven't seen a game made by MICROSOFT (not a 3rd party) really since H3 and maybe Halo Wars (I have this, but I haven't played it yet) that I would really be interested in buying, and I don't even see anything they are working on I would interested in the next 1-3 years.

They are seriously lacking in games, I guess we could port beg but there really isn't anything to beg for. He is acting like Microsoft has all these games, but when I go through my original Xbox and Xbox 360 game collection, even back then... very few games actually made by Microsoft or their subsidiaries. They have a very long way to go as a publisher and developer.

Cuphead is just a third party game that they are the publisher for.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
Not really. This is only for titles that have been Multiplattform in the past and aren’t really optimized for Xbox.
These are small little indie titles, that would otherwise not be really profitable. Small titles like Cuphead etc. It makes perfect sense.

Stop spinning like this would mean HALO on PS4. This is ridiculous. And if you believe that you must be beyond stupid and an ignorant console warrior.

And there was a time when the idea of sonic on a nintendo console would be impossible.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
You can't help the kool-aid drinkers.

If Microsoft remastered (with a real dev not The Coalition) the original Gears of War trilogy, I would probably double dip, if released on PS4. I would probably buy HaloCE and Halo2 from MCC as well. I really haven't seen a game made by MICROSOFT (not a 3rd party) really since H3 and maybe Halo Wars (I have this, but I haven't played it yet) that I would really be interested in buying, and I don't even see anything they are working on I would interested in the next 1-3 years.

They are seriously lacking in games, I guess we could port beg but there really isn't anything to beg for. He is acting like Microsoft has all these games, but when I go through my original Xbox and Xbox 360 game collection, even back then... very few games actually made by Microsoft or their subsidiaries. They have a very long way to go as a publisher and developer.
Then why are you in the thread? That's what's so bizarre; for someone to be in a thread that has no interest in the platform or its games. That's cool! You're not obligated to. But to still have input on a product you don't care for is the very definition of someone who is insecure about the product they've purchased.

Like I said before, I don't care for Sony or Nintendo. Nothing wrong with them, I'm just not keen on the games they offer. You don't see myself or others who feel the same in Sony threads, telling others we don't care for whatever they offer. There's simply no reason to, unless we're just really insecure about our gaming choices.

But, hey.. If that's how you roll. More power to you.

DanielsM

Banned
Then why are you in the thread? That's what's so bizarre; for someone to be in a thread that has no interest in the platform or its games. That's cool! You're not obligated to. But to still have input on a product you don't care for is the very definition of someone who is insecure about the product they've purchased.

Like I said before, I don't care for Sony or Nintendo. Nothing wrong with them, I'm just not keen on the games they offer. You don't see myself or others who feel the same in Sony threads, telling others we don't care for whatever they offer. There's simply no reason to, unless we're just really insecure about our gaming choices.

But, hey.. If that's how you roll. More power to you.

I'm actually interested very much in it, meaning for entertainment and discussion purposes. Literally, most of the stuff I have said comes from Microsoft either as to their overall strategy or their discussions about individual products. I just say it more bluntly, its obvious observation to anyone in tech at this point. Its.... duhhhhhh.

I don't care for Sony or Nintendo. Nothing wrong with them

Exactly, so you are grasping at straws at this point to save what you want to continue. I have no issue with you not liking them or not buying their product, but you are not seeing the forest for the trees, imo.

I have never told you what to buy or not to buy - knock yourself out.

df8.gif

Last edited:

Gavon West

I'm actually interested very much in it, meaning for entertainment and discussion purposes. Literally, most of the stuff I have said comes from Microsoft either as to their overall strategy or their discussions about individual products. I just say it more bluntly.

Exactly, so you are grasping at straws at this point to save what you want to continue. I have no issue with you not liking them or not buying their product, but you are not seeing the forest for the trees, imo.
Grasping at straws?? Lol

You vehemently are a regular in Xbox related threads trashing anything to do with Xbox, and now you're trying to project that BS rhetoric because you got called out.

There's literally nothing in your post that would suggest you being interested in the platform. There never has been, not that ive seen, and thats cool. No harm no foul. Don't fake it bruv. My only gripe is; if you don't particularly like Xbox or its games or their strategy, why are you constantly in Xbox relates threads shit posting?

Its just a very telling behavior that's all too frequent on these forums when it comes to Xbox material.

DanielsM

Banned
There's literally nothing in your post that would suggest you being interested in the platform. There never has been, not that ive seen, and thats cool. No harm no foul. Don't fake it bruv. My only gripe is; if you don't particularly like Xbox or its games or their strategy, why are you constantly in Xbox relates threads shit posting?

Again, I am interested in discussion and entertainment purposes. I have not idea what you mean by faking something. I'm not shit posting, posting obvious observations which more or less come from Microsoft directly or inferred from their actions and the market. Instead of disagreeing with thoughtful discussion or comments, you are lashing out, imo.

Most of my comments are pretty freaking obvious to even the most die hard xbots at this point.

Microsoft will lose major revenue from here on out on the traditional console market, whether they can make it up in a different business model (services) is suspect at best, imo. They have a very long and tough road either way.... come back in 7 years.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Again, I am interested in discussion and entertainment purposes. I have not idea what you mean by faking something. I'm not shit posting, posting obvious observations which more or less come from Microsoft directly or inferred from their actions and the market. Instead of disagreeing with thoughtful discussion or comments, you are lashing out, imo.

Most of my comments are pretty freaking obvious to even the most die hard xbots at this point.
Your entertainment is shit posting in Xbox related threads? Sony threads not keeping the passion for you these days, or.....

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Grasping at straws?? Lol

You vehemently are a regular in Xbox related threads trashing anything to do with Xbox, and now you're trying to project that BS rhetoric because you got called out.

Its just a very telling behavior that's all too frequent on these forums when it comes to Xbox material.
Bitter and twisted comes to mind with that poster, always in Xbox threads even complaining about the 5 year old Nokia Lumia not being supported anymore.

DanielsM

Banned
Your entertainment is shit posting in Xbox related threads? Sony threads not keeping the passion for you these days, or.....

The only one shit posting is you getting mad at me. If you want to discuss about the subject matter, I'm here, you can disagree, but at this point I don't even know what you disagree with.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Microsoft will lose major revenue from here on out on the traditional console market, whether they can make it up in a different business model (services) is suspect at best, imo. They have a very long and tough road either way.... come back in 7 years.
And yet, they've grown exponentially. They've added a plethora of dev houses and devs to their Dev family and more to be announced at XO19.

They have the best game rental service -hands down - of any one. Their games are also on PC and Steam and Xcloud will be among the best streaming services in gaming (even Sony thinks so..) And, if I had to bet, they'll have the most powerful hardware out the big three next gen (there goes your dire prediction for traditional hardware) and you still believe they'll have a rough seven years, eh? Gaming is part of the Microsoft DNA since Satya brought Phil to the night boy table. They've spent over 2 billion ramping up their first party offering and aren't finished. They've got full support from Microsoft and its backers. This is not Microsoft of 2012. No one has ever seen anything like what they're doing now, and I doubt we ever will again. Its substantial AF. Down playing that doesn't change anything. I'm just stating facts, you see it as lashing out.

But okay bruv... If you say so. Guess we'll just have to see.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
The gist of what he said is that 'if it fits,
we'll do it'. For some games it makes sense (Minecraft)...and other properties too (Banjo on Smash).

I cant picture Halo/Gears on PS4, but never say never.

DanielsM

Banned
you still believe they'll have a rough seven years, eh? Lol

Okay bruv... If you say so. Guess we'll just have to see.

At this point, its a fact... meaning the hardware has crashed in sales terms and they are now down to giving the rental service away for free. Maybe one day they can make the rental service work, the business model doesn't make much sense at this point and they are going to have spending many billions to even have a shot. (come back in 7+ years and we can see how it turns out, I remain very suspect)

You're not seeing the forest for the trees as I have said, its going to be a very long and rough road which might only end up in even more huge loses. (time will tell on the services front, the hardware is over at this point)

I expect gaming revenue to crash at this point, and it will be a long road to get that revenue back on the services front, if ever. The whole rental service is just that a rental service, most of the big publishers either have their own, or developing their own. Its hard to envision how any of this makes any real money.

I would expect the Xbox as a Hardware numbers to continue to decline... even though they are barely selling now.

Last edited:

Gavon West

At this point, its a fact... meaning the hardware has crashed in sales terms and they are now down to giving the rental service away for free. Maybe one day they can make the rental service work, the business model doesn't make much sense at this point and they are going to have spending many billions to even have a shot. (come back in 7+ years and we can see how it turns out, I remain very suspect)

You're not seeing the forest for the trees as I have said, its going to be a very long and rough road which might only end up in even more huge loses. (time will tell on the services front, the hardware is over at this point)

I expect gaming revenue to crash at this point, and it will be a long road to get that revenue back on the services front, if ever. The whole rental service is just that a rental service, most of the big publishers either have their own, or developing their own. Its hard to envision how any of this makes any real money.

I would expect the Xbox as a Hardware numbers to continue to decline... even though they are barely selling now.
Dude, What you're stating is not fact, its conjecture. The hardware sales have slowed because their focusing on next gen. Everything else you're saying is none essential and assumptions at best. C'mon...

DanielsM

Banned
Dude, What you're stating is not fact, its conjecture. The hardware sales have slowed because their focusing on next gen. Everything else you're saying is none essential and assumptions at best. C'mon...
No, they are struggling.... you put a "LOL". The hardware sales were never good, the hardware sales went down even during the Xbox One X release and has very little to do with next gen. PS4 will have a slight reduction in sales but nothing like what has been going on at Xbox. The hardware sales are not bad, or terrible... they are horrendous... and that was before they officially announced they are releasing on other digital storefronts. The hardware is toast today, wait till you see next year.

IF one is staying with Microsoft, than you are basically betting on the PC services front as being something you are interested in - I would suspect Microsoft to steadily lose traditional console players, which is what is occurring. I could see myself buying a Microsoft title if they ever make a good one again and its not on a MS store, but they've thrown their dedicated closed console strategy right out the window.

The actual subject matter is whether MS will have titles on other than Xbox, since this is already occurring the article is already outdated.

Last edited:
No, they are struggling.... you put a "LOL". The hardware sales were never good, the hardware sales went down even during the Xbox One X release and has very little to do with next gen. PS4 will have a slight reduction in sales but nothing like what has been going on at Xbox. The hardware sales are not bad, or terrible... they are horrendous... and that was before they officially announced they are releasing on other digital storefronts. The hardware is toast today, wait till you see next year.

IF one is staying with Microsoft, than you are basically betting on the PC services front as being something you are interested in - I would suspect Microsoft to steadily lose traditional console players, which is what is occurring. I could see myself buying a Microsoft title if they ever make a good one again and its not on a MS store, but they've thrown their dedicated closed console strategy right out the window.

The actual subject matter is whether MS will have titles on other than Xbox, since this is already occurring the article is already outdated.
Hardware is driven by games and gasp! there are more games coming out. Gears of War 5 and Ori and the Will of the Wisp alone would be a reason to own an xbox one. You probably scoff, but it really just shows that you're in ignorant xbox hater that can't fathom people liking games that differ from your own tastes. Then you have games like Battletoads and Tunic set to release as well. And I love all the people underestimating how big Halo Infinite is going to be. You can pretend all you want, but the game is going to sell hardware both xbox one and scarlett. I don't know why you put so much stock in one bad gen pushing Microsoft into becoming solely a multiplatform software developer. "Like like oh my gosh it's totally happening!" :pie_eyeroll: . Don't be such a valley girl dude... I guess we can throw out the success of the original xbox and xbox 360. There is definitely no evidence to suggest that Microsoft can put out a good system and games and be successful in the console market. They haven't thrown anything out of the window. It's just the typical posters like yourself still ignoring the fact that people enjoy playing games on a console regardless of whether they're on pc. Xbox has traditionally been popular for its multiplayer games and there are lot of people, including me (and i have a pc) that are completely uninterested in playing multiplayer games or even single player games on a pc. Also please don't act like Microsoft intended the xbox one x to be a big seller. It was stated from the beginning that the system would be for a niche market. It accomplished its purpose in showing MS can still put out a good system. so when next gen starts people are thinking oh it's the next xbox one x and not the next xbox one.

Its going to be a very long and rough road which might only end up in even more huge loses. (time will tell on the services front, the hardware is over at this point)

Tw4NuUF.gif

DanielsM

Banned
Hardware is driven by games and gasp! there are more games coming out. Gears of War 5 and Ori and the Will of the Wisp alone would be a reason to own an xbox one. You probably scoff, but it really just shows that you're in ignorant xbox hater that can't fathom people liking games that differ from your own tastes. Then you have games like Battletoads and Tunic set to release as well. And I love all the people underestimating how big Halo Infinite is going to be. You can pretend all you want, but the game is going to sell hardware both xbox one and scarlett. I don't know why you put so much stock in one bad gen pushing Microsoft into becoming solely a multiplatform software developer. "Like like oh my gosh it's totally happening!" :pie_eyeroll: . Don't be such a valley girl dude... I guess we can throw out the success of the original xbox and xbox 360. There is definitely no evidence to suggest that Microsoft can put out a good system and games and be successful in the console market. They haven't thrown anything out of the window. It's just the typical posters like yourself still ignoring the fact that people enjoy playing games on a console regardless of whether they're on pc. Xbox has traditionally been popular for its multiplayer games and there are lot of people, including me (and i have a pc) that are completely uninterested in playing multiplayer games or even single player games on a pc. Also please don't act like Microsoft intended the xbox one x to be a big seller. It was stated from the beginning that the system would be for a niche market. It accomplished its purpose in showing MS can still put out a good system. so when next gen starts people are thinking oh it's the next xbox one x and not the next xbox one.

So, you think Microsoft is going from about 3-5m units to 15-20m units in hardware because of GoW5 and Ori, why didn't they sell that many units with GoW4 and Ori1? Neither GoW5 or Ori are going to have any meaningful uptick to hardware, we're basically at PS vita levels. xbox will have a hard time hitting 5m units this year, maybe even 4m units might be tough... depends on Q4.

They are basically jailbreaking their own system at this point or the equivalent.... expect a continuing decline in sales. You'll see a huge drop off in revenue starting the present quarter going forward, I wish you well in your delusions. Although, I really liked the original Xbox and Xbox 360 (I actually have two of each hooked up) gens, financially it was a blood bath, Microsoft will continue to move to the customer as they are doing with Steam and expect other devices at some point.

It's just the typical posters like yourself still ignoring the fact that people enjoy playing games on a console regardless of whether they're on pc.

LOL, actually I don't think console sales are going down, just Microsoft consoles sales. :messenger_tears_of_joy: I mostly console play, so... not sure what this even means.

Also please don't act like Microsoft intended the xbox one x to be a big seller.

Well, which one did they intended to be a big seller?

The year Gears of War 4 came out they only sold 8.76m units, I would say they will be around half of that this year (or close to half). My guess remains under 6m easy, around 5m probable, under 4m units not out of the question. Microsoft really doesn't care about these hardware sales, not really.

Getting emotional over this, probably isn't going to change anything unless you're Neo.
(and even he wasn't really able to change much)

2283fd4d2c883d249d4a3cb9a9c2f9cd.jpg

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned

This is the problem. Since you will only consider playing Xbox games, you assume everyone else is equally one-track minded.

I've owned every Nintendo, Xbox and PlayStation home console. Don't tell me I am not allowed to post in Xbox related threads.

Yes, I've been critical of Xbox this generation because frankly they've mucked things up time and time again this generation. There is an obvious gap in quality between the software of Xbox vs either of the two main competitors. We are allowed to discuss why that is and our thoughts about if we see that changing anytime soon.

Enough of your "this thread is only for people wishing to praise unconditionally everything Microsoft and Xbox is doing" rhetoric you spout every time any criticism is raised regarding Xbox.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

Maybe your need a bigger collection of Xbox and Xbox 360 games?

Off the top of my head, Microsoft 1st and 2nd party published games from the OG Xbox days:
Halo CE
Halo 2
Blinx
Blinx 2
Project Gotham Racing
Project Gotham Racing 2
Forza Motorsport
Rallisport Challenge
Rallisport Challenge 2
Bloodwake
Fable
MechAssault
MechAssault 2
Grabbed by The Ghoullies
Conker Live and Reloaded
Amped
Amped 2
Brute Force
Links 2004
Crimson Skies
Then you could probably add another 10-15 sports/Xbox Sports Network Baseball, Football, Hockey, Tennis and Basketball games.

Even saying the Xbox One doesn’t get that many Microsoft first party games is being extremely fanboyish or ignorant. Just this year alone, between the summer and fall of 2019, Microsoft is releasing three RPGs(technically 5). Microsoft/InXile just released The Bard’s Tale Trilogy for the XB1, Later this month, The Bard’s Tale 4 Director’s Cut comes out. Then in the fall, they are releasing The Outer Worlds.

Then early next year, Microsoft is releasing another RPG, Wasteland 3 and partnering with Sega to bring Phantasy Star Online 3 to the Xbox One and PC.

Microsoft seems pretty damn busy to me, as they are developing and publishing more games than I have time to play.

Pallas

Outer Worlds was already in production though before Obsidian was purchased and the publisher isn’t Microsoft. Same with We Happy Few, and we already know the case of Minecraft, this is not a great example that Microsoft is already doing this.

That is not what I am saying.

I was saying their Xbox's in the future (if they continue to make them after next-gen), will be another option to play their games (and third party games) on, but not locked to that console like they saying right now. Their AAA will eventually go to other console platforms as well.

I don’t think you’ll see their AAA output on other consoles as long as they stay in the console manufacturing business, since they still need a standalone box with a recognized brand to push Gold and Gamepass.

To the bolded......you're right if you believe they want to stay a "console" manufacturer. Xbox is most definitely going into a more service-oriented approach. I think they'll keep making some form of hardware just to keep the Xbox brand alive, but Satella wants MS to be a server/services company. Even more than just a software company. He's pushing Azure, more than MS Office and Windows at this point.
There is one major issue with your scenario; making and selling game consoles is very expensive, and there is a cutoff point where it is no longer profitable to design, build and sell consoles. Every generation, console development bites a chunk out of every company's profitability.
My point is that it is not possible for MS to sell XBox consoles as a side buisness. That this is all or nothing. If Xbox console owners drop any further than it currently stands, it would not be viable to design, let along build, XboxScarlet2.

Elios83

Microsoft has chosen to become a service/cloud/game publisher company a few years ago and the Xbox business underwent transformations to fit into this vision.
Every step they're taking goes into that direction.
They have been really careful at controlling and telling people step by step about this transition to try to not alienate their fans (and the market) like they did with their 2013 Xbox One announcements. They started with the concept of the iterative console, then Gamepass, then XCloud and now they're developing games for Switch.
Fans expecting Xbox to be a major player in console hardware sales in the future are in for a huge disappointment, that's not their business model anyore and in due time they'll start making their games available on more and more platforms, even Playstation.
They already have a deal in place with Sony about cloud gaming, I fully expect that by the end of the PS5 gen Microsoft games will be playable at least through streaming on the PS5.

Klayzer

Gold Member
This is the problem. Since you will only consider playing Xbox games, you assume everyone else is equally one-track minded.

I've owned every Nintendo, Xbox and PlayStation home console. Don't tell me I am not allowed to post in Xbox related threads.

Yes, I've been critical of Xbox this generation because frankly they've mucked things up time and time again this generation. There is an obvious gap in quality between the software of Xbox vs either of the two main competitors. We are allowed to discuss why that is and our thoughts about if we see that changing anytime soon.

Enough of your "this thread is only for people wishing to praise unconditionally everything Microsoft and Xbox is doing" rhetoric you spout every time any criticism is raised regarding Xbox.
Dude, that was an expert rebuttal to his usual rhetoric.

nikolino840

Microsoft has chosen to become a service/cloud/game publisher company a few years ago and the Xbox business underwent transformations to fit into this vision.
Every step they're taking goes into that direction.
They have been really careful at controlling and telling people step by step about this transition to try to not alienate their fans (and the market) like they did with their 2013 Xbox One announcements. They started with the concept of the iterative console, then Gamepass, then XCloud and now they're developing games for Switch.
Fans expecting Xbox to be a major player in console hardware sales in the future are in for a huge disappointment, that's not their business model anyore and in due time they'll start making their games available on more and more platforms, even Playstation.
They already have a deal in place with Sony about cloud gaming, I fully expect that by the end of the PS5 gen Microsoft games will be playable at least through streaming on the PS5.
And why make Scarlett? With this theory why make another console out in 2020?

Need about 10-15 years to Say if it's true or not,and if in meanwhile the Xbox division grow up? What could happen?

It's a decade many Say Xbox Is doomed,Xbox go multiplat...for now all wrong

Need about 10-15 years to Say if it's true or not,and if in meanwhile the Xbox division grow up? What could happen?

Money on designing Scarlet was already spent. It is too late to cancel that. MS is at the wishy-washy stage, not willing to commit to consoles but also not willing to abandon consoles.

The thing is, it is not possible to do both. You need to dedicate a certain amount of resources in order to maintain a viable game system. Sony didn't dedicate enough on Vita to keep it going, so it died. And Nintendo decided they only have enough resources to spend on one hardware, so they made a Hybrid. Nintendo was only able to do both in the SNES era because they were basically having a monopoly crushing Sega.

Making Consoles is like having a baby; you either dedicate as much as it needs to succeed, or don't even bother trying.

MS still releases MS office, Skype and many other pieces of software, on Mac, how they manage their console IPs is the exception for them.

However, in this market this is the norm, as this is the most effective way to make a platform stand out.
SNES era because they were basically having a monopoly crushing Sega.

You have a good perspective, please tell us more about it!

Seriously, in what world do you live in? The SNES sold about the same number of units as the Genesis (however, Sega dropped it's support for it much earlier).

Last edited:

nikolino840

Money on designing Scarlet was already spent. It is too late to cancel that. MS is at the wishy-washy stage, not willing to commit to consoles but also not willing to abandon consoles.

The thing is, it is not possible to do both. You need to dedicate a certain amount of resources in order to maintain a viable game system. Sony didn't dedicate enough on Vita to keep it going, so it died. And Nintendo decided they only have enough resources to spend on one hardware, so they made a Hybrid. Nintendo was only able to do both in the SNES era because they were basically having a monopoly crushing Sega.

Making Consoles is like having a baby; you either dedicate as much as it needs to succeed, or don't even bother trying.
So they don't want to stop...becouse...in this gen : Xbox One s, Xbox One x, Xbox One all digital
Weird for a company that don't want to create hardware anymore

So they don't want to stop...becouse...in this gen : Xbox One s, Xbox One x, Xbox One all digital
Weird for a company that don't want to create hardware anymore
Sunk costs. Money spent on Scarlet needed to be recuperated. But MS is right now struggling to decide if they really want to give Scarlet the best chance to succeed.

Bucause rest assured, if Scarlet becomes "just another way to play Xbox games", there would not be enough demand for Microsoft to pay for the development of its successor.

p.s. Xbox All Digital? You sure you want to bring that up? A console with its hard drive removed and otherwise identical to 1S, is considered dedicated resources to you? All Digital might as well be made from left over 1S stock for all we know.

Last edited:

nikolino840

Sunk costs. Money spent on Scarlet needed to be recuperated. But MS is right now struggling to decide if they really want to give Scarlet the best chance to succeed.

Bucause rest assured, if Scarlet becomes "just another way to play Xbox games", there would not be enough demand for Microsoft to pay for the development of its successor.

p.s. Xbox All Digital? You sure you want to bring that up? A console with its hard drive removed and otherwise identical to 1S, is considered dedicated resources to you? All Digital might as well be made from left over 1S stock for all we know.
Seems lots of excuses...if they make hardware..nah dosen't count...if they stop yeah i told you...
Tell me Is the 2019 the First Time of this "ms shutdown Xbox and go multiplas?"

Seems lots of excuses...if they make hardware..nah dosen't count...if they stop yeah i told you...
Tell me Is the 2019 the First Time of this "ms shutdown Xbox and go multiplas?"
I am not the one who tried to claim that console sales don't matter. MS was the ones who brought it up. And console sales is important to actually justify the money spent on research and development of consoles. None of us would have entertained the idea to begin with if MS didn't tried to argue otherwise in the last year.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
There is one major issue with your scenario; making and selling game consoles is very expensive, and there is a cutoff point where it is no longer profitable to design, build and sell consoles. Every generation, console development bites a chunk out of every company's profitability.
My point is that it is not possible for MS to sell XBox consoles as a side buisness. That this is all or nothing. If Xbox console owners drop any further than it currently stands, it would not be viable to design, let along build, XboxScarlet2.

I agree if they can't sell at least 50 million or so consoles, then they'll bail out of the hardware video games business quickly.

nikolino840

I am not the one who tried to claim that console sales don't matter. MS was the ones who brought it up. And console sales is important to actually justify the money spent on research and development of consoles. None of us would have entertained the idea to begin with if MS didn't tried to argue otherwise in the last year.
What ms can do or Say to avoid "ms is doomed"?

Elios83

They're making Scarlett because there is a market and a demand for that kind of product.
Also these things are planned years in advance and they still need something traditional to cover their back while they're venturing into new types of business.
This is not about being doomed or not, it's about understanding that they're not making Scarlett with the idea of selling an other closed box as the core of their strategy.
They're making an other box to cover a specific market, that is core gamers and their traditional Xbox fans, but it is meant to be an option to play their games while they're truly focused on selling services and games. Phil Spencer said it himself, they're not focused on selling hardware.
Just to be clear, when Scarlett is launched with Halo next year, people will be able to play that game on Xbox One/S, Xbox One X, PC, XCloud. You won't need to buy Scarlett to play their top game at all. You can definetly see the change compared to the days where Halo used to be a reason to buy new Xbox hardware. This perfectly fits with their new strategy, selling services and bringing games on multiple platforms at the cost of sales of dedicated hardware which leaves its central role to become just an option.

mckmas8808

They're making Scarlett because there is a market and a demand for that kind of product.
Also these things are planned years in advance and they still need something traditional to cover their back while they're venturing into new types of business.
This is not about being doomed or not, it's about understanding that they're not making Scarlett with the idea of selling an other closed box as the core of their strategy.
They're making an other box to cover a specific market, that is core gamers and their traditional Xbox fans, but it is meant to be an option to play their games while they're truly focused on selling services and games. Phil Spencer said it himself, they're not focused on selling hardware.
Just to be clear, when Scarlett is launched with Halo next year, people will be able to play that game on Xbox One/S, Xbox One X, PC, XCloud. You won't need to buy Scarlett to play their top game at all. You can definetly see the change compared to the days where Halo used to be a reason to buy new Xbox hardware. This perfectly fits with their new strategy, selling services and bringing games on multiple platforms at the cost of sales of dedicated hardware which leaves its central role to become just an option.

Hold on...............Halo 6 will be playable on the Xbox one S? No way!

nikolino840

But why there Is no halo gears or whatever in all platforms? You Say Is the new strategy but i don't see evidence,only second party are on switch and not on ps

Last edited:
Hold on...............Halo 6 will be playable on the Xbox one S? No way!
So far, all signs point to a lack of 1st party Scarlet exclusives for the first two years of Scarlet hardware launch.
(As in, all the Scarlet games would also run on Xbox1S)
Frankly, the only reason I believe it, is because it is too stupid an idea to make it up. Lies are designed to be believed, and this is too unbelievable to be a lie.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

So far, all signs point to a lack of 1st party Scarlet exclusives for the first two years of Scarlet hardware launch.
(As in, all the Scarlet games would also run on Xbox1S)
Frankly, the only reason I believe it, is because it is too stupid an idea to make it up. Lies are designed to be believed, and this is too unbelievable to be a lie.

Is that a rumor? Or are you just guessing?

I'm not sure that the AAA thing was my takeaway here. My impression is that if a series previously was cross-platform, the company is leaning toward keeping it that way. But if something was previously an exclusive IP, Microsoft plans to keep it as such. To me the key sentence is "were never going to try to take anything away from players that existed on those platforms,"

Josh spartan1

Neo Member
Doesn't bother me too much (as an xbox owner) but I do think you need to keep some exclusives, what little we have, to xbox only otherwise there isn't much point in owning one when playstation has great exclusives and all the others xbox have. Just hoping something good starts happening otherwise it's not gonna be great 🙃

Stimpak

And once MS convinces Sony or Nintendo to allow GamePass on those devices, you'll see Halo, Gears and any other Xbox games on every platform.

Xbox might still be a thing, but I can't personally understand why you would want one.

Exactly.

I’d rather wait to play halo on PC (warts and all) then buy an Xbox that has a guarantee of sub-zero (not MK lol) content exclusivity.

Top Bottom