• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Resets Cheaters' Gamerscores

nofi

Sean said:
Here is an actual real cheater caught.

PICS

IIRC he's had like the highest gamerscore since launch, now he has absolutely nothing. :lol

Yep. He'll probably never sign on again. :lol

LCGeek

formerly sane
Alex said:
Other devs and companies still flat out ban accounts, I don't see that as a very good excuse

But, I wasn't aware that this was solely concerning Gamerscore, if that's the case they handled it perfectly and I mouthed off too soon.

Excuse not like I care what MS does I have no stake in it. Simply put it's a reality some companies tolerate others don't especially one that needs the money on a platform that otherwise drains em dry.

If these people are cheating in titles than yeah flat out ban the account they cheat on achievements who cares catch em and ban em.

cedric69

solid2snake said:
the same say people, who got to jail because of raping children :p
Where's the funny? :|

Also, I fail to see what good could come out of this. People will let their account expire and start anew with a new account. Do they expect people to carry on playing with a "cheating player" gamertag?

Alex

Weenerz said:
I don't see a point in calling these "cheaters" out. It's not like it was a real competition or anything.

Ever since my time in UO in 97/98, human drama and suffering in the context of video games has amused me greatly, so I disagree!
Also, I fail to see what good could come out of this. People will let their account expire and start anew with a new account. Do they expect people to carry on playing with a "cheating player" gamertag?

Those who break down and buy another subscription are a benefit to MS, in the case of tame GS abuse, it's pretty win/win.

Sean said:

stripclubdjcheaterfdffe.png

http://live.xbox.com/en-US/profile/profile.aspx?pp=0&GamerTag=StripClubDj

IIRC he's had like the highest gamerscore since launch, now he has absolutely nothing. :lol

I remember stripclubdj

he swore up and down that he didnt game save to get his score. :lol

Chris R

solid2snake said:
wat? you could buy boosted gamertags from ebay? :lol
dear lord, the gamerscore must be some kind of drug to some people.
Competition can be addictive to some people, even pointless stuff like gamerscores

acm2000

awesome :lol someone make a name and shame list of all those caught, great punishment by MS, banning them would be a retarded thing to do, but showing them up and resetting the score is perfect

JeremyR

Now what they need to do is have a special tag for gamers over 25 who play kiddie games to boost their gamer score. (I see a lot of that on CAG...)

acm2000

andrewfee said:
Question: some games like Burnout 4 have a bug where any completed save on the hard drive will unlock all achievements for anyone that plays on that Xbox. People have been using this to cheat by downloading completed saves and instantly getting 1000 points. Now, obviously they're going to want to stop that happening.

However, what if I go round to a friends and play Burnout 4 on his Xbox when I'm signed in? It's going to give me all the points and look like cheating when all I've done is play a game round at a friend's place.

Now it doesn't affect me (I don't even have it on my 'tag) but I can see a lot of people getting their score reset to zero when they haven't done anything wrong.

I don't really care about my overall gamerscore, but I do like achievements. I wouldn't have spent nearly as much time with CoD4 if it wasn't for them, as I found it enjoyable to go for 1000 points, but I probably wouldn't have even bothered with Veteran if it wasn't for them. I'd have just gone through the game once and sold it.

no, since only the worst offenders are being punished, you wont get punished for a few games like this.

Rhindle

andrewfee said:
Question: some games like Burnout 4 have a bug where any completed save on the hard drive will unlock all achievements for anyone that plays on that Xbox. People have been using this to cheat by downloading completed saves and instantly getting 1000 points. Now, obviously they're going to want to stop that happening.

However, what if I go round to a friends and play Burnout 4 on his Xbox when I'm signed in? It's going to give me all the points and look like cheating when all I've done is play a game round at a friend's place.

Now it doesn't affect me (I don't even have it on my 'tag) but I can see a lot of people getting their score reset to zero when they haven't done anything wrong.
I doubt they'll hassle with someone who has an aberrational score on one game.

They'll go after the extreme cases. That stripclubdj dumbass added 35,000 points to his profile on a single day.

King_Slender said:
No doubt - MS just made some new PS3 owners.

I doubt they had any interest in keeping these knobs as customers.

a) Clearly their main motivation in playing 360 games is Achievements
b) They have removed their main motivation
c) They will no longer have any interest in playing 360 games

BenjaminBirdie said:
I doubt they had any interest in keeping these knobs as customers.

a) Clearly their main motivation in playing 360 games is Achievements
b) They have removed their main motivation
c) They will no longer have any interest in playing 360 games

Every company is interested in keeping every customer.

nubbe

As said, it is just a usless score so why should they be banned?

In my opinion they get the right punishment... they get e-castrated.

Danj

solid2snake said:

Does this new initiative ban everyone that uses a device like that? Because I could see that being useful for backing up stuff in case your 360 dies, so it surely has legitimate uses as well as illegal ones.

King_Slender said:
Every company is interested in keeping every customer.

I don't think that's true at all. I've worked retail in smaller businesses that rightfully will expend no effort in keeping a customer who clearly has no loyalty to them and will hold over their head the fact that they can

a) Find their product cheaper somewhere else
b) Is like totally minutes away from getting in their car and going somewhere else
c) So why I can't I get this for $15 instead of $20, come on bro, seriously

Douchebags are never, ever, loyal customers. Unless you run a douchebag store.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I don't think that's true at all. I've worked retail in smaller businesses that rightfully will expend no effort in keeping a customer who clearly has no loyalty to them and will hold over their head the fact that they can

b) Is like totally minutes away from getting in their car and going somewhere else

True, but this is not brick and mortar retail. MS wants every dollar rolling in the door they can get - especially to something subscription based.

King_Slender said:
True, but this is not brick and mortar retail. MS wants every dollar rolling in the door they can get - especially to something subscription based.

The reality is, and I don't doubt they did reams of research on this, that cheaters would probably end up costing more money in potential software sales than gaining the $50 in subscription. As cheaters finally started to pull away from people who were earning massive scores legitimately to the point where they'd never be caught up to, you start to eat away at those legit "power" players' motivation for buying more games. I read all the time about people playing an XBLA game for a high score and then being completely unmotivated when they see some insane high score on the leaderboard that no legit player could ever catch.

It was undoubtedly not a problem for two years because there were enough games out where legit players could keep up with boosters in terms of scores. Now they've probably crossed the threshold where they would/could have never been caught up to.

But yeah, I'm sure MS held off as long as they could.

What's that bit off Fight Club about Settlements/Cost To Fix The Problem? In Redmond I'm sure it all came down to the math.

raYne

dTau said:
pathetic

"oh noes my useless number got set to zero"

ban cheaters ffs
Except it wasn't exactly useless to the people that cheated to get it. Afterall, they cheated just to get it.

Still, I agree with the banning idea.

acm2000

dTau said:
pathetic

ban cheaters ffs

why would you ban someone for gamerscore cheating? not exactly a clever business move, ingame cheating, sure

I can understand removing any gamerpoints acquired by cheating but this seems like a bad move to me. You're taking paying customers and basically branding them "cheater". In my experience, doing that to a portion of your customer base is never a good idea. Especially when you consider that this is a paid subscription service.

Sean

Banned
dTau said:
pathetic

ban cheaters ffs

This is much better than a normal ban.

- All of the months/years and money they spent cheating was for nothing
- They went from the highest gamerscore to the lowest (0)
- There is no way for them to earn their achievements back on that gamertag
- Their gamercard is permanently(?) branded with a huge "CHEATER" warning for public humiliation

This is brilliant punishment. Either the cheater voluntarily gives up and leaves the service (similar to a ban) or he continues to be a paying subscriber and has to earn his gamerscore legit from then on. Works out either way. Very clever.

acm2000

Danj said:
Does this new initiative ban everyone that uses a device like that? Because I could see that being useful for backing up stuff in case your 360 dies, so it surely has legitimate uses as well as illegal ones.

no, the device works fine for backing up your stuff, but using it to game save cheat repeatedly, will get you a ban, but as said earlier, its only the serious offenders getting banned.

El-Suave

I'm imagining "Home"-space raids on PS3 in the not too distant future. Cheater's avatars will be hung in the central plaza and virtual tomatoes can be purchased to throw at their rotting corpses.

Zzoram

There is nothing wrong with this idea. People who suddenly gain 30,000 gamerscore in a day through save file abuse getting their score reset is too funny. It's not like they are getting banned or anything, they just have their score reset.

El-Suave said:
I'm imagining "Home"-space raids on PS3 in the not too distant future. Cheater's avatars will be hung in the central plaza and virtual tomatoes can be purchased to throw at their rotting corpses.

Online video game services - serious business.

Sean said:

stripclubdjcheaterfdffe.png

http://live.xbox.com/en-US/profile/profile.aspx?pp=0&GamerTag=StripClubDj

fucking owned

http://www.destructoid.com/stripclubdj-hits-100-000-gamer-score-update--28143.phtml

here is a link for when he hit 100,000

[Update: StripClubDj when over the 100,000 mark today with new achievements from games like Superman Returns and Small Arms. I really hope this gamer got his score the good old fashioned way -- mass hours spent in front of the tv playing games until he destroyed his social life and could no longer survive in the daylight.]

:lol

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
BenjaminBirdie said:

Your posts are

a) Well thought out
b) But in alphabetical list for ease of reading
c) Devoid of homosexual subtext

Ramenman

• The account will be clearly labeled as a cheater for the community to view on xbox.com. You can see an example here. In dash, the personal view of the gamercard will be labeled as well.

Quoted for great justice because no one read the OP.

Of course resetting gamerscore ownage etc is fun, but that IMO is the best move of all the three.

Now these dumbasses will have CHEATER written on their forehead whenever they go online.

Ramenman said:
Quoted for great justice because no one read the OP.

Of course resetting gamerscore ownage etc is fun, but that IMO is the best move of all the three.

Now these dumbasses will have CHEATER written on their forehead whenever they go online.

Do you really think they would go online? If you treat your paying customers like this, you're likely not to keep them. They'll likely migrate to another service that is... free.

They really should have just removed the suspect gamerpoints and rendered the game useless for regaining those points.

The best part of threads like this is when you have a cheater post who

A. Tries to justiify it
B. Complains while attempting to conceal the fact that s/he is a cheater.

DoctorWho said:
Do you really think they would go online?

They can just create a new profile that won't be labelled surely?

Bring on the punishment I say, they knew they were doing wrong so they've got no-one to blame but themselves. They're lucky to be getting a second chance.

acm2000

DoctorWho said:
Do you really think they would go online? If you treat your paying customers like this, you're likely not to keep them. They'll likely migrate to another service that is... free.

They really should have just removed the suspect gamerpoints and rendered the game useless for regaining those points.

a free service that doesnt offer the very thing they were addicted too and cheating on? yeah, thats a great appeal.

Dizzy

Banned
Great move in my opinion.

It seems a little harsh to ban someone from a service that they paid $50 to use just because they altered the score, they didn't cause enough harm to anyone to go that far.

At the same time there are a lot of people that (strangely) take the Gamerscore business seriously. Resetting the Gamerscore of cheaters helps to keep it fair. It's better than just leaving them to it.

Now we see if people are willing to pay the $50 for XBL to create a new account without the cheater label.

I think this is a necessary move on Microsoft's part, especially if they ever decide to use Gamerscore as currency. Collecting points is all well and good, but I think to combat Home they'll need to take Gamerscore to the next level. Being able to redeem points, or earning rewards based on the points accrued is one way of doing that. I'm hoping this crackdown is a precursor to that.

Top Bottom