• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Shares Vision for the Future of Windows and Xbox One Game Development

Bingo, and you're pretty much proving his point. Since you think GWG and the "extra things" make a gold subscription worth it, you can continue to pay for it. Nobody's suddenly asking to stop the GWG program or the "extra things".

People are just asking to remove the paywall for online MP, which has nothing to do with GWG. In your own words, people are asking for the Gold subscription "without the online playing part", just like PS+ was on PS3.

Yeah just make having a gold account more valuable then not having one.

KonradLaw

I'm gaming on PC because I don't want a console experience :/

Yep. I mean,even for console-centric multiplat titles, I demand far more control, options and modding capabilities than Xbox One could provide.
And the idea of developers consolizing their PC-centric games and controls to make them crossplat is stuff straight out of nightmare.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i don't understand how UWP is missing some basic stuff like vsync. if it's using DX shouldn't it just be handled by that?

AmyS

•A new and improved shader compiler and Shader Model 6 are coming.

That's actually pretty interesting. I'm betting Shader Model 6 features are supported in hardware starting with AMD Polaris and Nvidia Pascal, and software supported in older hardware.

Shader Model 5 has been around since, well, DX11 in 2009.

I still don't get what the Windows Store version of the game does that is better than the steam version? As far as I can tell, they haven't mentioned anything about modding. Are there graphical features that can only be done by going the app route?
There might not be a steam version when you're developing for "uwp", they're trying to squeeze steam out of the equation since they saw xbone's trajectory.

Damn, after reading all if that article it looks like a few posters on here were right. Microsoft really is shutting down and closing the Xbox division .....

Oh look, a flying pig!

10-111.gif

:D

Arkanius

It all sounds good and all, but they have to make it right by making UWP on PC not a botched experience in performance and features.

NakedJedi

Banned
If Battlefront was the 1st DX12 Xbox One title. Why is it only 720p? Thought it was going to make PS4 games look like shit and out perform the PS4 etc.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Damn, after reading all if that article it looks like a few posters on here were right. Microsoft really is shutting down and closing the Xbox division .....

Oh look, a flying pig!

10-111.gif

:D

From the info in the OP its clearer than ever that they are moving away from a distinct console software platform. A separate Xbox only context for your game now almost sounds like a legacy option ( one that I'm guessing will disappear in a few years depending on the success of uwp). Xbox is not disappearing but it's clear MS now wants it to be a vehicle for Windows software delivery rather than its own software platform. Whether that will make Xbox a PC, a console, a steam machine-like htpc... I'll let others define that, but they're all very arguable labels now.

wapplew

Well I agree that they should have everything happen faster, but being a big company has more chances of slowing things down than the opposite, it adds a lot of inertia to anything. That's why fast innovations are usually carried by small start-ups first.
Also it may seem long compared to console cycles that are 5 years long in average, but this is a bigger project, dealing with a major OS and multiple platforms. I'm not entirely surprised it takes a lot of time to finalize.

But we are living in a era where iOS/Andriod already did all Windows ecosystem "future" for years.
People is used to App bc/fc, follow account, cross buy, cross platform play, cloud save and everything, it's nothing new, people expected nothing less. MS don't have the luxury to launch first and iterate until it's good like they used to.

Alx

Cross-buy is one thing, cross-development /execution is another. And as far as I know, iOS is still very different from OSX.
I don't know exactly the state of the OS on "Google PCs", but they had the benefit of starting things from scratch. Apple and Microsoft already have a huge legacy to maintain with their current OS products.

Saul

Banned
But we are living in a era where iOS/Andriod already did all Windows ecosystem "future" for years.
People is used to App bc/fc, follow account, cross buy, cross platform play, cloud save and everything, it's nothing new, people expected nothing less. MS don't have the luxury to launch first and iterate until it's good like they used to.
But it's new that AAA console gaming is joining that business model.

Trup1aya

This is an elephant in the room right here. Xbox Live must to be free when this launches.

Yep. With this goal they have to make online gaming free for Xbox at some point.

Huh? It has already 'launched' and XBL still isn't free on Consoles.

I'm not sure why people insist that Consiole gamers generally care about what PC gamers expenses are.

MS will continue to charge for XBL on consoles because consumers in that market are willing to pay.

kiguel182

Honestly, this all sounds pretty awesome.

Making Xbox a Windows 10 device and integrating it with the PC side of things is a great move. I hope this means a more open platform as well that allows developers to publish titles there more easily.

If this allows most games to run on both Xbox and Windows we can see a boom of titles released there and that's always great. Imagine an Xbox that runs 90 per cent of games on Windows and is also backwards compatible moving forward, seems great.

I don't have an Xbox but this makes it seem like an attractive platform for the first time since launch. It seems like an evolution of the console business in a good way.

Let me make it very simple for you to understand:

They are leaving console gaming and turning the Xbox One into a low end gaming PC and encouraging developers to develop their games for the PC in a way that allows them to be compatible with the Xbox One albeit not tailored to it.

This way they can focus on PC gaming but nominally be supporting Xbox One development.

Sorry, I'm just still not quite understanding it.
Could you please explain it to me like I'm five?

The way I see it, Microsoft has sold 20 million cups of lemonade.
Now they are going to sell several variations of lemonade: pink lemonade, frozen lemonade, spiked lemonade, limeade.
They appeal to slightly different audiences and have varying prices, but they are all refreshing beverages that will similarly quench your thirst.

But apparently I'm a simpleton and this all really means they are closing down the lemonade stand.

LewieP

Making Xbox a Windows 10 device and integrating it with the PC side of things is a great move. I hope this means a more open platform as well that allows developers to publish titles there more easily.

They are not going to let you buy Xbox One games bought from stores where they do not get a cut of the profit. They are not going to make Xbox One an open platform.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Hopefully in five years we're all laughing at what a failure this was. Zero interest in UWP

Saul

Banned
Hopefully in five years we're all laughing at what a failure this was. Zero interest in UWP
Doubt it. From now on all Microsoft Studio games are going to be released in the universal app format. Probably they're going to re-release old Xbox (360) games as universal apps as well in the future.

jelly

I hope they keep Xbox separate in the store, I don't want the mobile App Store sea of trash.

Microsoft always talk a good game, have to wait and see if they deliver. They always make these things sound like paradise for devs and consumers.

Hmmmm no additional info on their upgradeable Xbox One plans. But I guess that was to be expected and this was of course all about game development.

Hmmmm no additional info on their upgradeable Xbox One plans. But I guess that was to be expected and this was of course all about game development.
There is no upgradeable xbox... Phil was talking about maybe in the future...it may not happen at all. People need to keep expectations in check.

Sounds like a way to exit the console business without losing face.

Thier Windows gaming plans are going to flop. Just like they always have.

Windows gaming will continue to thrive of course. Just MS will fail to make money off of it.

Sounds like a way to exit the console business without losing face.

Thier Windows gaming plans are going to flop. Just like they always have.

Windows gaming will continue to thrive of course. Just MS will fail to make money off of it.
Of course...no one is leaving the much better steam and it's 100 plus million users. This is going to be another failed attempt at ms to get into the pc distribution scene.

Anyone know if UWP supports VR? Would be interesting to see a future Xbox just piggy back on Oculus Rift or Vive. Gives those headsets much more value if you can use them on multiple devices as well.

Occulus wants to sell games on thier storefront. Valve obviously wants to sell games on Steam. Why the hell would either want to support UWP. It only benifits the MS store ecosystem

The UWP is about decoupling software and hardware.
It allows developers to craft their engines more abstractly and run them on various devices without modifying much code.
This allows the software to be forward compatible, meaning it'll run on future devices.

I completely expect to see another Xbox console released this 'generation', more powerful than Xbox One but running the same games.

gamz

All this sounds incredible. Tons of good stuff coming down the pike. HDR is awesome.

Makes sense for a dev to hit Xbox and Windows 10 in one shot. I mean why in the wouldn't you? To hit 200-300M active users and growing. Damn!

The UWP is about decoupling software and hardware.

All programmers recognize this as total BS.

It is not going to happen. Not useful for any application that requires high performance applications i.e. Video Games.

Trying to be a jack of all trades just makes you that much weaker to your competetor like Sony that focuses on specilization.

I hope not. I want a unified platform. If I buy a game and i own it on windows and PC and i buy the new revesion of the xbox and own all my games. no need to buy HD remasters etc. Just let me forward port my content. Sounds sublime

All this sounds incredible. Tons of good stuff coming down the pike. HDR is awesome.

Makes sense for a dev to hit Xbox and Windows 10 in one shot. I mean why in the wouldn't you? To hit 200-300M active users and growing. Damn!
Only a fraction of those users have gaming rigs or even care about gaming....ms PR doing work.
The ones that do are on steam and don't care about the cluster that is win 10 store.

gamz

Only a fraction of those users have gaming rigs or even care about gaming....ms PR doing work.
The ones that do are on steam and don't care about the cluster that is win 10 store.

Then you buy a Xbox One. At least you have choices in which to play games.

The PC games industry is not slowing down and continues to grow. If you can nail two with one shot why wouldn't you? If anything it gives dev more avenues to sell games and that's great.

StereoVsn

I'm gaming on PC because I don't want a console experience :/

Exactly. Note how he mentioned nothing about modding, running/purchasing applications from other stores, etc... Having a closed off wallgarden that prevents you from doing things that have been the norm for PC gaming for literally decades is not a good thing.

Oh and you can forget about good sales. Note that MS doesn't allow other stores like Amazon, GMG, etc... to resell keys.

UWP games will hinge to a large degree on how widespread Windows 10 will be. If creating a UWA will allow them to reduce development costs by only having to develop for PC and Xbox once instead of doing quite different builds that is a strong incentive for them to move there. I guess for most of those businesses the fact that code injection and other modding techniques don't work won't be a big issue (most are more "accepting" them instead of "encouraging it" and those who do seem to have the possibility to do so with UWAs as well (see Mod anouncement for FO4 on Xbox One)).

On the technical side UWAs seem to not be quite there yet (VSync, FreeSync, GSync, etc.) but what I take out of Microsoft's anouncements they seem to have a list of such issues that partners and internal studios have given them and they're working on addressing them.

From a developer perspective I can see the appeal of the UWP if enough people move to Windows 10 and going by Steam's numbers that seems to be a quite quick transition that might pick up speed once more DX12 games hit.

From the consumer perspective it might be a different story - we'll have to wait and see. I understand why many are hesitant going by Microsoft's past actions.

Im pretty sure there are an array of laptops that rival or exceed
current gen gaming console performance. Its not that hard to get a Gpu that can rival the xbox one gpu and most laptop these days come with a better CPU than in any of the consoles.

Yeah just make having a gold account more valuable then not having one.

Just look at what happened when Sony put up the online paywall. All you have to do is ask your self, "what's the opposite of this?" to know that the XBL paywall isnt going anywhere on the console.

672405.jpg

The picture shows PS+ account growth. The spike shows the moment the PS4 was released through Jan 31, 2014.
(Sorry for the small graph, I couldn't find a bigger one)

Im pretty sure there are an array of laptops that rival or exceed
current gen gaming console performance. Its not that hard to get a Gpu that can rival the xbox one gpu and most laptop these days come with a better CPU than in any of the consoles.
Most of those people aren't gamers. If they are they are on steam.

All programmers recognize this as total BS.

It is not going to happen. Not useful for any application that requires high performance applications i.e. Video Games.

Trying to be a jack of all trades just makes you that much weaker to your competetor like Sony that focuses on specilization.

All programmers recognize decoupling software and hardware as BS? Ha.
Even Tim Sweeney, who raised concerns over the distribution of UWP, noted the many benefits of the model and said Epic would support UWP if the distribution concern was cleared up.

Why do you think game engines are so popular? They allow the developer to target as many platforms with as little dependencies.

The UWP is ambitious, but if you read the OP, you'd note that Microsoft has fully acknowledged that and has been working with first party and third party developers to improve the API.

Gears Ultimate, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Quantum Break, and Ori are all Universal Windows Applications.
Developers are already publishing games through the platform and the tools will only improve.

Top Bottom