• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Microsoft's silence at CES could be the start of a tough year for the Xbox.'

InterMoniker said:
I don't know man they went silent on the whole HD-DVD edition of the 360. If you think Blu-ray or HD-DVD doesn't matter in terms of sales/install base you're crazy. I know how much you x-box guys love to talk sales.

Yeah, Lucasarts has been suspiciously mum on Star Wars: Episode VII.

I swear to god I called it so fucking hard. Thanks to the WB announcement, in the minds of so so SO many people, the Never-Existant Xbox Ultimate will forever be a sign of MS Cloddery.

"It was totally backstage, man! Under a tarp! Then WB went Blu-Ray and they put it in that big fuckin' warehouse next to the Ark Of The Covenant! I'm tellin' ya man! Michigan J. Frog killed the Xbox Three Fuckin' Sixty!"

UncleGuito said:
This thread sucks. Since when was CES a gaming expo? It isn't- another example on NeoGAF melodrama.
Since last year when MS pulled off a big show for their coming games, but maybe they just moved it to GDC, let us wait and see.

gofreak said:
PS2 sells to teenage girls today, a year after PS and Xbox and Nintendo whatevers have been released.

As for the Wii point, you'll note I made a smattering of references to it in my post :p The Wii could pull forward adoption of these consoles for that kind of demographic and scupper any plans to benefit from a late adoption by that type of user, that is usually typical.
PS2 still sells because it was the market leader last gen, consoles other than the market leader don't keep selling well into the next generation.

harSon

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:

I swear to god I called it so fucking hard. Thanks to the WB announcement, in the minds of so so SO many people, the Never-Existant Xbox Ultimate will forever be a sign of MS Cloddery.

"It was totally backstage, man! Under a tarp! Then WB went Blu-Ray and they put it in that big fuckin' warehouse next to the Ark Of The Covenant! I'm tellin' ya man! Michigan J. Frog killed the Xbox Three Fuckin' Sixty!"

Rumors seem to be seen as fact on GAF.

BenjaminBirdie said:

c'mon now, i know that the xbox 360 with a hd-dvd drive was rumored since before launch, and was constantly thrown around for over two years, but this time it was real!!!

YOU HAVE TO ADMIT THE MICROSOFT CONSOLE WAS LACKING

itsgreen

soul creator said:
it's a lot it seems for microsoft this generation, but companies historically have had no problem dropping $100.

After 24 months, the combined price drop for all the microsoft SKUs is $100 ($20 on core, $50 on premium, $30 on elite). Sony dropped $100 18 months after its US launch.

That's kinda why I think this generation is going to last much longer, and why it's tough to make any judgement calls on how appealing the 360 is to the mass market.

It is easier to drop 100 bucks from 600 than it is from 400. That being said, I believe MS has taken the stance: "we don't need to drop our price, we are selling very well".

The Faceless Master said:
c'mon now, i know that the xbox 360 with a hd-dvd drive was rumored since before launch, and was constantly thrown around for over two years, but this time it was real!!!

Wtf are you talking about? Take a chill pill and masturbate or something. MS has said time and again, no 360 with included HDDVD drive. That their are rumours for two years doesn't make it real. It is mere a result of some guessing: MS supports HDDVD, Sony supports Bluray, PS3 has built in Bluray so that must mean 360 will have HDDVD built in! OMFG CONFIRMED! now lets pick a date, oooh CES is always nice! yes it will be there at CES08! Mmmm Warner to Bluray and no HDDVD in 360 that must mean they are affraid!

Wooops! Sarcasm IS hard on the interwebs

painful fart said:
Since last year when MS pulled off a big show for their coming games, but maybe they just moved it to GDC, let us wait and see.

Yes IPTV last year was a regular ol E3 for MS. :lol

CES is not 360 fap time....it NEVER has been.

Absolutely. The 360 is like 78% Achilles Heel. But still, there was never an HD-DVD internal drive in a 360. EVER.

Piper Az

BenjaminBirdie said:

The Xbox Ultimate did exist...in the deillusional minds of those who swear by them.

Here's one far-fetched hope - drop Xbox Live fee at GDC; announce a neat online game similar to WoW. I think such game on consoles is really lacking.

Decado

M$ needs some exclusives this year. I don't want to buy the system for NG2 and have nothing else to play that isn't better or just as good on the PS3 or PC.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
PS2 still sells because it was the market leader last gen, consoles other than the market leader don't keep selling well into the next generation.

I think it depends how quickly Wii can capture them, because in terms of content and value attractiveness, PS3 might have caught up to Wii by the time that user would typically adopt. But like you say, Wii might well accelerate that adoption and leave PS3 with little to pick up at the end in that area.

My point, though, was simply that newly launched xbox and ps whatevers don't really distract that demographic. But the Wii might well buck that trend this time around, and attract them. More subtly, my point was that Singstar wasn't a one-shot attempt at that market where we can look at a chart a week after launch and determine its success in attracting a type of user, period. The launch of Singstar on PS3 was really getting a ball rolling on that service, it should be more relevant later on - if Wii hasn't a captive audience of all girls by that time :p

InterMoniker said:
I don't know man they went silent on the whole HD-DVD edition of the 360. If you think Blu-ray or HD-DVD doesn't matter in terms of sales/install base you're crazy. I know how much you x-box guys love to talk sales.

Then I must be crazy, because last I checked, the market leader (Wii) had neither of these "important" formats.

I would imagine it to be rather trivial to the gamesindustry.

itsgreen

Zeitgeister said:
Then I must be crazy, because last I checked, the market leader (Wii) had neither of these "important" formats.

I tend to think we all agree that the Wii is something special and not the normal gameconsole.

Dunlop

Currently the 360 is the king of third party sales hands down. So this leads to third party happily throwing every game at the console until that stat changes. If 2008 sucks then we will have to worry about it in 2009.

I think the PS3 will gain a lot of momemtum in 2008 but your are delusional to think it will lose it's third place status for this generation, when a gamer like myself wants it more for being a BluRay player that tells you there is a problem.

Dabanton

Decado said:
M$ needs some exclusives this year. I don't want to buy the system for NG2 and have nothing else to play that isn't better or just as good on the PS3 or PC.

You do know that by spelling MS as M$ you immediately nullify any sensible comment that you then go on to make?

Threi

notag
itsgreen said:
I tend to think we all agree that the Wii is something special and not the normal gameconsole.

...no, im pretty sure its a game console to pretty much everyone.

well i mean except those who don't want to name it such for fear of something, but those guys are kinda nuts =\

Zeitgeister said:

it would seem to be a detriment, as only the console in last place has it.

Nooreo

To think M$ has nothing up their selves for E32008
is wishful thinking, and so is M$ to have the best show for E3 2008 :lol

itsgreen said:
Not hurting 360 sales though.
Well, if the norm for future games is no loading time through the use of engine taking advantage of HDD, it may.
Or if big games via download become something major in the gaming landscape.

Busty

Banned
Nooreo said:
To think M$ has nothing up their selves for E32008
is wishful thinking, and so is M$ to have the best show for E3 2008 :lol

I recognise these words, but not in that order.

itsgreen

natureman3 said:
Well, if the norm for future games is no loading time through the use of engine taking advantage of HDD, it may.
Or if big games via download become something major in the gaming landscape.

Games can make use of HDD, it just can't count on it. Game should be playable without.

And I believe the largest retail harddisk from a consolemaker, is ah yes, the 120 gig for the 360.

itsgreen said:
Games can make use of HDD, it just can't count on it. Game should be playable without.

And I believe the largest retail harddisk from a consolemaker, is ah yes, the 120 gig for the 360.

Didn't know that.
Does it mean that if a dev wants to take advantage of it, they basically need to have 2 versions of code, one with, one without ?

itsgreen

natureman3 said:
Didn't know that.
Does it mean that if a dev wants to take advantage of it, they basically need to have 2 versions of code, one with, one without ?

I'm not sure though, but I believe the golden rule is that the game should be playable on consoles without a harddrive. But I don't know the exact TRC's.

Asked a dev friend who said that he thought it isn't allowed. Allthough games might get a waiver from MS so it can stream from the hd always, so a HD is manditory for that game.

the only blow to ms at ces was the hd dvd format dying

gdc isnt really a showplace for new games its more about the development, but it has gradually became more mainstream since e3 was thought to be dying

ms has a solid lineup, with banjo, gears 2, too human, fable 2 and there are atleast a half dozen other first party games coming this year

Seems like that article is too early and doesn't actually have much of a point after building up toward the end there. If MS hasn't revealed its '08 plans by March, then it's time to worry.

Confidence Man said:
Underestimating how successful 360 games will be seems to be a regular occurance here at gaf.

And I'm sure there were those who believed the combined might of Heavenly Sword, Lair, R&C, Uncharted, and Warhawk would be enough to compete with one multiplatform game on 360, too.

:lol

So true. I predict 08 NPDs are going to be even more of a hoot than last year's.

Gotta love the "Hard Drive/Next generation DVD format/HD Graphics is necessary to win the console war!" claims that so far have fallen on deaf ears.

Games are what's necessary to win the console war, and the author's claim of the XBOX potentially having a thin year after blowing its load in '07 is a valid criticism. It's up to Microsoft to prove that 2007 wasn't the best year the 360 will ever have, and they have some catching up to do to prove it.

nib95

Banned
Ventrue said:
So I see we're just lying now. Okay.

Maybe he was taking Japanese and European sales in to the equation?

Anyway, interesting article. What a turn events 2008 already is turning out to be.

Tieno

natureman3 said:
Didn't know that.
A lot of games use the HDD for caching, Halo 3 and Oblivion for example.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I don't have the stamina for these kinds of threads anymore.
Hell I'm exhausted and I only read the first page or so.

Seriously. Reading through this I thought to myself, "This is the end of an era."

Top Bottom