• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 DLC announced.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Should rename the game Good Will Burner: Inferno.

That was also voluntary
Correct. They also received four times the amount they asked for.

And when the crowd-funding campaign closed they immediately shopped the property around for toys and cartoons, they said they were open to selling it to a big publisher and they have twice now (or thrice?) asked for more money.

It's really kind of spitting on the people who decided to crowd-fund in the first place.

Ludist210

I really, really, really don't like how this is shaping up (and I helped Kickstart the game). Announcing DLC before there's even a launch date in place? Ugh.

MrBadger

I don't even mind if they want to ask for more money if people are actually willing to give it to them. Doesn't affect me.

I just think they're being way too eager with this. TMN9 isn't even done and all the footage we've seen has made it look very unfinished. And yet they already want to add a DLC character and stage, they've given Beck a crossover with Gunvolt and there's talk of a TV show as well. The game doesn't even release until next year and they want people to get excited for this mixture between Bass.exe and Zero as well? This kind of stuff would be much better to announce after the game's out (or even finished) and when (or even if) it reviews and sells reasonably well.

Trigger

Correct. They also received four times the amount they asked for.

And when the crowd-funding campaign closed they immediately shopped the property around for toys and cartoons, they said they were open to selling it to a big publisher and they have twice now (or thrice?) asked for more money.

It's really kind of spitting on the people who decided to crowd-fund in the first place.

I don't really get how that counts as spitting on the fans if you're still getting the original product you paid for?

WarRock

I really, really, really don't like how this is shaping up (and I helped Kickstart the game). Announcing DLC before there's even a launch date in place? Ugh.

On the table, don't you people read?

You don't understand how Capcom people work (even if they are no longer in Capcom)

Guys, it's right there on the OP.

If we reach another $190K via slacker backers by the end of this calendar year, ALL backers will get a bonus DLC code to download an extra level and boss sometime summer 2015!

Is he called Ray because he's powered by Getter Rays?
Hah! I am guessing that the joke is Ray = Rei. Rei is "zero" in japanese IIRC.

ArjanN

You people are worse than some publishers.

Yeah, if people ever wonder why publishers take so little creative risks look no further.

To be fair they probably could have massaged the message a little better. They should expect reactions like this because most people don't understand how game development works and how much it costs.

Producing the DLC after the game comes out is way less cost effective.and practical.

That is another can of worms. Asking for money to make the game because you have money on the side to make a animated series...that will be used to promote the game that is funded through crowd funding.

Ugh.
From what I recall the cartoon is externally funded. The problem was since the cartoon will have voice acting which was completely unplanned in the game there was no fund allocated to record the in-game lines (it might be a good opportunity though it is a very much, who asked for this, back in my day games didn't talk to you constantly) which is when the voice acting funding happened.

They keep asking for money on KS because people keep giving them money. Who wouldn't continue asking for free money?

I'm really interested in this game. I literally don't care about kickstarter. I don't agree with it necessarily but hey, we're getting a proper Megaman game. I'll buy it when it's out proper
sometime down the line when its on sale

Not at all. DLC should be something developed after the fact unfortunately gamers are to use to day one dlc. They could and should be using funds from the games sales to fund the DLC development after game release.

Yeah, I don't think this is shady like some people, but this is certainly my standpoint as well.

As an outsider, let me just say I have thoroughly enjoyed watching Inafune exploit desperate Mega Man fans for a game that, quite frankly, doesn't even look or sound that hot.

You Got

Schadenfreude

Should rename the game Good Will Burner: Inferno.

I'm still trying to decide whether Capcom is waiting for the project to be completed before they sue, or if they are actually just sitting back and enjoying because they know intimately well that Inafune unchained = trainwreck

From what I recall the cartoon is externally funded. The problem was since the cartoon will have voice acting which was completely unplanned in the game there was no fund allocated to record the in-game lines (it might be a good opportunity though it is a very much, who asked for this, back in my day games didn't talk to you constantly) which is when the voice acting funding happened.
Ahhh I see.

KooopaKid

Banned
Salaries of probably over 20+ ppl involved
rent/lease for their office
utilities
supplies and equipment
if there is any voice work, they need to pay studio, actor, engineer

Im forgetting expenses though

Don't forget the electricity bills, the gas for their car and the beers.

Mmm, naw.

Let's wait to see if the game is good first, okay? Also I'm sick of "Zero", Inafune. At least wait a bit before forcing us to watch you jerking off to him again.

nullset2

You can take the man out of Capcom but you can't take Capcom out of the man.

giphy.gif

That's right though, this whole MN9 operation has been sorta fishy for a while now. It seems like every time the game pops up again in the gaming forum it's for them to go for a new round of crowdfunding....

Ultimadrago

Honestly, I'm not even liking how the game is looking from the footage we've gotten so far. I won't be giving another cent. They make what they make.

Jpope

Neo Member
I should of asked for a refund the moment they started doing the voice acting crowd-fund.
This has been a complete mess of a kick-starter. Thankfully, I only put in $15 bucks for this train wreck of a game.

They've really been soaking up a shitload of money making this thing. It's about time for them to stop and just finish the game already.

Mesoian

$200k for a stage and boss sounds like a lot to me. No?

There's a breakdown.

MONEY MATTERS

So there you have it folks – if we can raise the necessary funds via slacker backers, all backers will get to fight against Ray in an all-new level!

So what will this cost? $190K. Well, actually more than that – quite a bit more when you add in royalties we need to pay the platform holders, plus additional testing and QA, taxes, etc. but $190K is the minimum amount we need where we can safely say we can cover the rest of the costs ourselves.

GLojUS3XfpdN-SF9lGcH-eJi8-12ohQOEbRV_KpVh7EZctS6pqdtcE8gkxmv3sNk4nubqInWVaa4HH3C0Obkbw_MkXkt00Z-pG_RNDFADVjSgzWCvAq3GsIF32tpcwRhV4HRgIHZ6p17PXgtd-YOWFHJtqXGvgOFVUoc=s0-d-e1-ft

Where did we get that number? We worked with Mighty developer Inti Creates to come up with a safe estimate, based on our early ideas for the stage and Ray (note: exchange rates have moved 10% or so in the last couple months, but we are still playing it safe):

We at Comcept want a robot with attitude. He's edgy, he's "in your face." You've heard the expression, "let's get busy"? Well, this is a Robot who gets "biz-zay!" Consistently and thoroughly.

igotthatreference.gif

I hate the main character's design, but I loved the enemy designs so far - until this happened.

*Still eating the cookies off the table as a pick-me-up since people are still being silly and it's really getting depressing*

Guys, this an optional stretch goal that Inafune and the character designers came up with in their spare time because they thought it would be cool, it's not gonna make the actual game get done any slower, it's still set for 2015, be patient. Post-Kickstarter continuous crowdfunding, as I've mentioned previously in this thread, is hardly uncommon for games these days, same with similar post-Kickstarter stretch goals.

And, really, their cost estimates are rather conservative. Unlike Double Fine, they seem to actually be taking care to avoid going over-budget, even if it means overdoing it a little. Better safe than sorry, you never know what might suddenly eat into the budget for whatever reason.

Not gonna pitch in more myself, but I'm cool with my contribution. I can't say I reject going for the beta when I'm enjoying it quite a lot.

Jac_Solar

But why is this a problem? You don't have to back them if you don't want to. People who already backed them get the content for free if it gets funded. It's not like they're making original backers pay more for extra content.

I could understand the complaints if they were behind schedule and hadn't delivered on promises, but as far as I'm aware, that's not the case.

You don't ask your friends or people you meet for money or their stuff all the time just because you can, because it's common courtesy not to. They should have waited until they had proven themselves with the initial game before talking about DLC -- the other way around makes it seem more like they are taking advantage of the popularity of the initial Kickstarter, and trying to get as much money as possible from the people who are into it.

But since they didn't wait until the game was released, since they didn't wait until the game was finished before trying to fund an expansion or a module to the main game, since they are apparently ok with pitching a suggestion (DLC.) to a suggestion (Main game.), as opposed to first realizing the initial suggestion, who knows how good the game is/will be.

Since all good DLC or expansion packs have been made after a game has been out for awhile, since people obviously prefer that, it's sort of weird that they absolutely had to pitch the DLC Kickstarter while the game is being made.

Why didn't they have wait until the game had been out for awhile, after they had proven themselves capable of making a good game out of a Kickstarter? Did they think that people would not like the main game, or that less people would be interested in listening to their Kickstar?

MrBadger

He looks so much like Getter-1 its not even funny

I don't think so, other than the colour and the shape of his head. He looks like a mixture between Zero and Bass.exe.

Considering this entire project is Inafune trying to make Megaman without the rights to make Megaman, I think these comparisons are more likely and the Getter-1 thing is just a coincidence. Think of it like Mr Sparkle. Everyone thought it was Homer but it was just a fish combined with a lightbulb.

Mr._Sparkle_concept.jpg

Top Bottom