• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 DLC announced.

GreenFear

Banned
I'm blown away at how much money they need for this, over a million dollars now for a sidescroller? Cmon that is ridiculous, I've seen indie games on steam greenlight made by individuals with far less money that look far better than mighty number 9. I have a feeling 5% of the money goes towards development while 95% goes into their pockets.

Jpope

Neo Member
Guys, this an optional stretch goal that Inafune and the character designers came up with in their spare time because they thought it would be cool, it's not gonna make the actual game get done any slower, it's still set for 2015, be patient. Post-Kickstarter continuous crowdfunding, as I've mentioned previously in this thread, is hardly uncommon for games these days, same with similar post-Kickstarter stretch goals.

Not gonna pitch in more myself, but I'm cool with my contribution. I can't say I reject going for the beta when I'm enjoying it quite a lot.

It is a shitty move to pull, especially after they just came off another crowdfund venture (the voice acting). The game doesn't look too good. Albeit, I haven't got a chance to actually play the game and have only seen what they have shown in alpha footage.

Being a backer for this game I have a few interests I have in this game's development. Is it quality enough to be labeled a competitor of Megaman or even a successful clone? Will it be done in a fast and manageable amount of time? Will it be any good?

Everything so far has lead me to believe that this game will be a flop on arrival.

Saroyan

never question Inafune!

O5qLit2.jpg

Wereroku

It is a shitty move to pull, especially after they just came off another crowdfund venture (the voice acting). The game doesn't look too good. Albeit, I haven't got a chance to actually play the game and have only seen what they have shown in alpha footage.

Being a backer for this game I have a few interests I have in this game's development. Is it quality enough to be labeled a competitor of Megaman or even a successful clone? Will it be done in a fast and manageable amount of time? Will it be any good?

Everything so far has lead me to believe that this game will be a flop on arrival.

Oh cool so you haven't played the game but you have decided it is going to flop even though people who have say its pretty solid. Maybe watch a bit more footage I recommend A German Spy's on youtube. It looks good and plays really well.

Edit: To keep on topic. I backed the kickstarter probably for more than most people in this forum and I really don't see any big deal with this or the voices. They weren't in the initial budget and they are just being planned so that they can keep buzz and preorders going. People really need to calm down.

Ehh. Knew this from the start.

The Mighty no.9 project was never about building a fanservice megaman game. That was only a byproduct. It was always about funding comcept as a studio.

Putting it another way, why is it only now that they are suddenly having all these extra plans? Why were they not brought up round about the end of the kickstarter?

Production for the full game will be wrapping up soon, thats why. Infaune is milking the baby dry while his team begins to prototype and shop around their next project.

They might even have the cheek to pop up on kickstarter again.

You can take the man out of Capcom but you can't take Capcom out of the man.
christ :lol

I think I payed $60 or something to get a physical copy. I don't even remember how much I payed, it's been that long and all I see are a bunch of updates all the time in my email account. Just give me the fucking game already, stop adding stuff. Enough.

Wereroku

Ehh. Knew this from the start.

The Mighty no.9 project was never about building a fanservice megaman game. That was only a byproduct. It was always about funding comcept as a studio.

Putting it another way, why is it only now that they are suddenly having all these extra plans? Why were they not brought up round about the end of the kickstarter?

Production for the full game will be wrapping up soon, thats why. Infaune is milking the baby dry while his team begins to prototype and shop around their next project.

They might even have the cheek to pop up on kickstarter again.

How is it not about making a game? Part of making a game is funding a studio. They brought up that they had more plans near the end of the kickstarter but they hardly hit their last one. I am guessing you had absolutely nothing to do with that and didn't watch the countdown livestream. Why don't you go watch that and educate yourself a bit. So why can't a company use kickstarter more than once? Were you against InExile and Doublefine? I mean hell if they do use it again they will probably be done with the first one unlike the other two.

christ :lol

I think I payed $60 or something to get a physical copy. I don't even remember how much I payed, it's been that long and all I see are a bunch of updates all the time in my email account. Just give me the fucking game already, stop adding stuff. Enough.

They haven't changed their date at all. Everything that has been released points to them releasing on schedule. Everything they are doing now has no bearing on release date. Maybe you should read some of the emails since then you would be a bit more informed about the product you purchased.

How is it not about making a game? Part of making a game is funding a studio. They brought up that they had more plans near the end of the kickstarter but they hardly hit their last one.

I wonder why. I also am intrigued to know why they now feel they have a chance of achieving these extra plans.

Wereroku

I wonder why. I also am intrigued to know why they now feel they have a chance of achieving these extra plans.

I don't think they do honestly. They only got VA because they put every copy sold prerelease towards it. I am guessing it's more they were planning out post release DLC if the game sales well and figured maybe they could advertise it and get more preorders. My guess is that they are still going to make this if the game sales well but in that case it won't be free to backers. Studios don't shut down after they send everything to the devs they start planning out new game or support for the current game. They haven't even sent the DLC to Inticreates. All they have done is cost estimates.

_S4MUR4I_

Just imagine how this game will sell after release.

Because until now, there's no profit.

Backers, backers everywhere.

How is it not about making a game? Part of making a game is funding a studio. They brought up that they had more plans near the end of the kickstarter but they hardly hit their last one. I am guessing you had absolutely nothing to do with that and didn't watch the countdown livestream. Why don't you go watch that and educate yourself a bit. So why can't a company use kickstarter more than once? Were you against InExile and Doublefine? I mean hell if they do use it again they will probably be done with the first one unlike the other two.

They haven't changed their date at all. Everything that has been released points to them releasing on schedule. Everything they are doing now has no bearing on release date. Maybe you should read some of the emails since then you would be a bit more informed about the product you purchased.
Maybe you can point out where I stated that I'm frustrated about an invisible delay instead of being frustrated of them adding purchasable content available after the game is released before the game has been released instead of focusing on just getting the main game done. Maybe you should read my post again since then you would be more informed about my complaints and stop giving me stupid replies.

Wereroku

Maybe you can point out where I stated that I'm frustrated about an invisible delay instead of being frustrated of them adding purchasable content available after the game is released before the game has been released instead of focusing on just getting the main game done. Maybe you should read my post again since then you would be more informed about my complaints and stop giving me stupid replies.
They are done. Inticreates is making the game. Why wouldn't they be planning other things.

I... uh... what? I don't even have the game yet. Why would I start funding for DLC?

Remember that time someone said Inafune was a good business man and not so much a game developer? Starting to think that's actually true.

lmimmfn

not impressed, not impressed at all, i regret backing this now, cant stand the greed and the backer emails for this just annoy me more and more, in fact before i even read the email this morning i knew i would be annoyed.

Vamphuntr

I think Inafune is too much used working in a huge publisher with big scope projects. He should probably try to make the best game as possible so it sells well enough to warrant a sequel instead of asking for more and more money to "improve" a game that isn't out and wasn't sold to the audience with these features in mind. I'm curious on how all of the versions of the game will turn out, especially features that seems out of place like coop which they added to please the crowd.

I backed this and I'm getting wary of the game now. I didn't like Azure Striker Gunvolt at all so my interest and hype are really low now.

Might as well ask for another 100k already to make CGI scenes. You know it's coming next.

Theoretically this isn't a bad idea. It shouldn't be a problem if it has a seperate budget from the main game and is going to be worked on after release.

Edit: InXile did the same thing by moving their teams over to Torment by kickstarting that super early. That had planescape hype though, and this doesn't.

I think Inafune is too much used working in a huge publisher with big scope projects. He should probably try to make the best game as possible so it sells well enough to warrant a sequel instead of asking for more and more money to "improve" a game that isn't out and wasn't sold to the audience with these features in mind. I'm curious on how all of the versions of the game will turn out, especially features that seems out of place like coop which they added to please the crowd.

I backed this and I'm getting wary of the game now. I didn't like Azure Striker Gunvolt at all so my interest and hype are really low now.

Might as well ask for another 100k already to make CGI scenes. You know it's coming next.

Yeah, like many of the other people used to being fed money by the publisher, I don't think Inafune quite grasps what the whole crowd funding model was supposed to be about. The fact that this game still isn't out and is asking for more money is offensive to anyone who knows the first thing about game budgets.

More I think about this, the more I'm not bothered by it. If people want it, it'll get funded. If they don't, it won't, and we'll still get a game.

Yeah, like many of the other people used to being fed money by the publisher, I don't think Inafune quite grasps what the whole crowd funding model was supposed to be about. The fact that this game still isn't out and is asking for more money is offensive to anyone who knows the first thing about game budgets.

So what would you have preferred? Them using the original kickstarter money to fund dlc?

(in case you didn't realize, that's 1000x worse)

You could say "HOW ABOUT THEY FOCUS ON THE GAME" but I don't think there's anything indicating they aren't?

LycanXIII

It makes sense that it will be paid content for non backers.

m9_top_103084pjx.png

So they want to get $190.000 in 2 months?, someone must be delusional at Comcept, it took forever to rise $100.000.

The beta was great and I'm really excited for the game but they should stop already. Deliver the game, if people like it and is a success, think bigger with the sequel.

They didn't even hit $100k if I remember correctly. Didn't they shift funds from the rewards to get the voice acting?

JDSN

Banned
Theoretically this isn't a bad idea. It shouldn't be a problem if it has a seperate budget from the main game and is going to be worked on after release.

Edit: InXile did the same thing by moving their teams over to Torment by kickstarting that super early. That had planescape hype though, and this doesn't.

Torment was a different game, with different leads, they were to separate products and the existence of it wasnt gonna affect Wasteland 2, not only this one is suffering from feature creep, but it has the aggregated concern of the studio focusing on turning this into a multimedia mascot ending up hurting the actual game that people funded.

duckroll

Disclosure: I worked on the original MN9 Kickstarter campaign.

FWIW, it's not Day One DLC (the full update spells this out really clearly a couple places, though if you just saw the OT I can see how you might think this). And it's basically saying that all pre-order money (slacker backers) from this point through the end of the year will go towards making this DLC, if they get enough to make it -- and if they do, the 80K backers who already funded the main game will get it for free.

They are showing their costs (which are over what they are saying they need in pre-order money) and seemingly being totally open about the entire process -- I'm not sure how this can be construed as unethical just because the game isn't out yet, unless you think taking money for pre-orders is unethical.

I do know some people personally don't like hearing about DLC before a game is out yet, for any reason, which I can certainly understand. The update makes it sound like (and I know from working on other games) they are probably talking about it now cause of how some parts of game dev finish before others.

I think this is a fair response from the perspective of "I don't think there is anything they're doing wrong business-wise because it all seems legal and it is transparently explained". But I would like to take a moment to put another perspective on this. One which is not about not liking DLC or wanting to hear about it before a game it out. And I'm wondering what your thoughts on it are.

One of the main reasons for crowdfunding to exists is to help people who have ideas but lack funding to get support from like-minded people who want to support that idea and make it happen. It's an alternate funding method which relies on goodwill. Beyond providing money to make the project happen, it also takes a huge amount of risk off the hands of the creators behind a project. I think everyone can agree with this assessment.

Now having said that, lets look at what they're actually offering to make, and what they're asking for in return. Aside from various enhancements and additions put into a game which was fully funded including all stretch goals, they introduced the idea of voice acting. They explained the cost and got more people to support the project, they met the goal and now there will be voices implemented into the game for everyone regardless of when they buy it. I think that's mostly fine. People must have wanted voice acting since they were willing to pay for it, and they got it.

But now we're looking at what looks to be a pay DLC component being added to the project. The reason why paid DLC exists is because content is not cheap to make, and publishers need to be able to make the money from development back to justify the investment in making it. That's why they're paid DLC instead of free bonus content. But in this case, that doesn't apply. They're asking fans to fund the DLC by further supporting the crowdfunding process. They want the DLC to be paid for so it is risk-free for them, and everyone who supports the game gets it for free, sure, but they also want to be able to sell the DLC as its own product. Now for those who didn't support the project, when the game is released, they can sell MN9 to them and they can sell MN9 DLC separately. This is completely a business move, not a "because we love fans" move.

If the DLC is already funded by supporters, why not give it free to everyone who buys the game when it is eventually released? Shovel Knight is going to have a bunch of post-release DLC which they're making now, and that will all be free for anyone who bought Shovel Knight, regardless of being a backer or not, since it was all paid for by supporters.

That's why I think this is a crappy deal and extremely selfish on Inafune's part. He is using goodwill from supporters who are passionate about the game, but he's still operating like a producer at a corporate company. I think it is pretty lame.

This is why I have never gotten into any Kickstarter/Crowdfunding campaigns....seeing stories like this almost drives me into a fit of rage! Imagine what would happen if I had a vested interest?! Yikes!

Atleast this way I couldn't care less if it comes out, is successul etc. Do what you gotta do game industry but i'm just gonna buy stuff worthy of my money the oldskool way.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I think this is a fair response from the perspective of "I don't think there is anything they're doing wrong business-wise because it all seems legal and it is transparently explained". But I would like to take a moment to put another perspective on this. One which is not about not liking DLC or wanting to hear about it before a game it out. And I'm wondering what your thoughts on it are.

One of the main reasons for crowdfunding to exists is to help people who have ideas but lack funding to get support from like-minded people who want to support that idea and make it happen. It's an alternate funding method which relies on goodwill. Beyond providing money to make the project happen, it also takes a huge amount of risk off the hands of the creators behind a project. I think everyone can agree with this assessment.

Now having said that, lets look at what they're actually offering to make, and what they're asking for in return. Aside from various enhancements and additions put into a game which was fully funded including all stretch goals, they introduced the idea of voice acting. They explained the cost and got more people to support the project, they met the goal and now there will be voices implemented into the game for everyone regardless of when they buy it. I think that's mostly fine. People must have wanted voice acting since they were willing to pay for it, and they got it.

But now we're looking at what looks to be a pay DLC component being added to the project. The reason why paid DLC exists is because content is not cheap to make, and publishers need to be able to make the money from development back to justify the investment in making it. That's why they're paid DLC instead of free bonus content. But in this case, that doesn't apply. They're asking fans to fund the DLC by further supporting the crowdfunding process. They want the DLC to be paid for so it is risk-free for them, and everyone who supports the game gets it for free, sure, but they also want to be able to sell the DLC as its own product. Now for those who didn't support the project, when the game is released, they can sell MN9 to them and they can sell MN9 DLC separately. This is completely a business move, not a "because we love fans" move.

If the DLC is already funded by supporters, why not give it free to everyone who buys the game when it is eventually released? Shovel Knight is going to have a bunch of post-release DLC which they're making now, and that will all be free for anyone who bought Shovel Knight, regardless of being a backer or not, since it was all paid for by supporters.

That's why I think this is a crappy deal and extremely selfish on Inafune's part. He is using goodwill from supporters who are passionate about the game, but he's still operating like a producer at a corporate company. I think it is pretty lame.
Perfect post.

Wereroku

This is why I have never gotten into any Kickstarter/Crowdfunding campaigns....seeing stories like this almost drives me into a fit of rage! Imagine what would happen if I had a vested interest?! Yikes!

Atleast this way I couldn't care less if it comes out, is successul etc. Do what you gotta do game industry but i'm just gonna buy stuff worthy of my money the oldskool way.
Could you explain why it would make you so angry? They are still making the game they promised and are not changing the release because of any of this. This is just new content that would be worked on afterward.

NEO0MJ

Could you explain why it would make you so angry? They are still making the game they promised and are not changing the release because of any of this. This is just new content that would be worked on afterward.

Like others explained, it's a perception thing. It makes the whole project seem less like a love letter to fans and instead an attempt at abusing them.

Top Bottom